post #571 of 590 Old 11-04-2018, 10:51 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Re: Request for sticky 3D reviews thread

Hi Ralph:

I could not find any separate/dedicated thread(s) for 3D blu-ray movie reviews. Would be nice to have one (or just 3D listing in your database, with "3D presentation" scores only), including your recommendations for 3D titles.
Thanks for all you do
Ralph Potts likes this.

Last edited by anonymouse99; 11-04-2018 at 11:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #572 of 590 Old 11-05-2018, 05:32 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 1522 Post(s)
Liked: 5128
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse99 View Post
Hi Ralph:

I could not find any separate/dedicated thread(s) for 3D blu-ray movie reviews. Would be nice to have one (or just 3D listing in your database, with "3D presentation" scores only), including your recommendations for 3D titles.
Thanks for all you do
Greetings,

Actually we do. The Blu-ray review Database thread (stickied at the top of the review forum) has a direct link to the 3D Blu-ray reviews. Here is a link: AVS Blu-ray Review Database

Click on the 3D Header which will take you to the 3D reviews. Hope this helps and thanks for reading!

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
post #573 of 590 Old 11-11-2018, 11:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked: 404
BlacKkKlansman

I would greatly like you opinion on this one Ralph.
It's rated as a comedy, but it really hits home politically !

Ralph Potts likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #574 of 590 Old 11-12-2018, 02:35 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quick question as a soon to be 4k UHD owner.
Are most of the 4k discs in letterbox or full screen? Is there a quick list to find that information because i tried searching for it but there were old threads from years back
post #575 of 590 Old 11-12-2018, 09:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangerDanger View Post
Are most of the 4k discs in letterbox or full screen? Is there a quick list to find that information because i tried searching for it but there were old threads from years back
It's the same as for Blu-ray, most are Letter Box or 2:39 to 1 or 2:40 to 1.
I just watched Justice League a few nights ago and it was 16:9 or 1:85 to 1

And no list that I know of.

Last edited by JeffR1; 11-12-2018 at 10:02 PM.
post #576 of 590 Old 11-12-2018, 09:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The House with a Clock in Its Walls

I think this will be a blind buy for me, I've grown to like Jack Black's serious/silly demeaner and what makes this even more interesting, Kate Blanchet is pared up with him.
Such a serious actress to go along with Jack Black.

Ralph Potts likes this.
post #577 of 590 Old 11-13-2018, 07:17 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangerDanger View Post
Blu-ray.com lists the aspect ratio of each movie as presented on the 4K disc. They almost always retain the original aspect ratio of the movie, as opposed to cropping or reformatting. A rare exception is the Christoper Nolan movies that were partly shot with IMAX cameras, where the image fills the tv screen during those IMAX sequences.

LG B7A
Pioneer VSX-832
Sony UBP-X700
Apple TV 4K
Xbox One S
post #578 of 590 Old 11-13-2018, 10:14 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR1 View Post
I think this will be a blind buy for me, I've grown to like Jack Black's serious/silly demeaner and what makes this even more interesting, Kate Blanchet is pared up with him.
Such a serious actress to go along with Jack Black.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQGA42-U0Ro
If you head over to Youtube, you can watch a handful of very funny interviews they did together. They're pretty magical together, recommend!
JeffR1 likes this.
post #579 of 590 Old 11-13-2018, 03:03 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by connoralpha View Post
Blu-ray.com lists the aspect ratio of each movie as presented on the 4K disc. They almost always retain the original aspect ratio of the movie, as opposed to cropping or reformatting. A rare exception is the Christoper Nolan movies that were partly shot with IMAX cameras, where the image fills the tv screen during those IMAX sequences.
Quote:

Thanks for the information! I was recently at a friends place who had a 4k tv from years back, and all the movies were framed for the entire tv and he said that is just how 4k UHD discs are. I was very suspicious on that, but haven't seen the movie he presented so I wasn't sure on the films ratio.
post #580 of 590 Old 11-24-2018, 07:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Ralph I just watched Die Hard 4K Ultra HD and the upgrade from Blu-ray is worth a double dip. This movie is an excellent super cop adrenaline, action film with plenty of bang bang and boom worth a double dip in my opinion. Secondary characters, a beat cop and a chauffeur add some humor and diversity The cop has a smart wife, cute children and the movie has a touch of cheese cake. The plot is coherent and Bruce Willis is very engaging, smart and crafty and supernaturally resilient. The villains are worthy adversaries. Authority figures, FBI and top cops are treated with irreverence.
Ralph Potts likes this.

Anál nathrach, orth’ bháis’s bethad, do chél dénmha
post #581 of 590 Old 11-24-2018, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postmoderndesign View Post
Ralph I just watched Die Hard 4K Ultra HD and the upgrade from Blu-ray is worth a double dip. This movie is an excellent super cop adrenaline, action film with plenty of bang bang and boom worth a double dip in my opinion. Secondary characters, a beat cop and a chauffeur add some humor and diversity The cop has a smart wife, cute children and the movie has a touch of cheese cake. The plot is coherent and Bruce Willis is very engaging, smart and crafty and supernaturally resilient. The villains are worthy adversaries. Authority figures, FBI and top cops are treated with irreverence.
Greetings,

I would agree and said as much in my review of the UHD release.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #582 of 590 Old 11-24-2018, 03:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,

I would agree and said as much in my review of the UHD release.

Regards,
I could not and cannot find your review of Die Hard UHD. Please post a link to your review. The link might help me do a better search in the future.

post #583 of 590 Old 11-24-2018, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
I could not and cannot find your review of Die Hard UHD. Please post a link to your review. The link might help me do a better search in the future.
Greetings,

I created a Blu-ray review database containing links to the reviews. It is stuck at the top of the review forum. It is an alphabetized listing which also includes hyperlinks to the 3D, UHD, and Spotlight headers. Here is the link to the database: AVS Forum Blu-ray Review Database and here is the link to my review of the Diehard 30th Anniversary UHD Review

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #584 of 590 Old 11-24-2018, 08:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Greetings,

I created a Blu-ray review database containing links to the reviews. It is stuck at the top of the review forum. It is an alphabetized listing which also includes hyperlinks to the 3D, UHD, and Spotlight headers. Here is the link to the database: AVS Forum Blu-ray Review Database and here is the link to my review of the Diehard 30th Anniversary UHD Review

Regards,
Thanks Ralph. I am still finding it hard to navigate and reach a particular review. I never found an alphabetical list of reviews and the search function did not help. I need instructions and maybe others do as well. But I did follow your link to your review of Die Hard.

post #585 of 590 Old 11-25-2018, 05:56 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Thanks Ralph. I am still finding it hard to navigate and reach a particular review. I never found an alphabetical list of reviews and the search function did not help. I need instructions and maybe others do as well. But I did follow your link to your review of Die Hard.

Greetings,

Using the link to the Database, the alphabetized hyperlinks (the box with letters in it) at the top of the post makes navigation pretty simple. Selection of the letter that the title you're searching will place you at the beginning of those that start with that letter. You can then scroll, in alphabetical order, to find the specific one. Titles that begin with "The" will be listed alphabetically under the second word in the title. for instance, "The Family" will be under F.

Titles that begin with numbers have their own section and are listed numerically, beginning from low to high. UHD titles have their own section, as do 3D, Spotlights and so on.

Hope this helps..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #586 of 590 Old 11-25-2018, 07:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Greetings,

Regards,
Thanks Ralph. I found the problem. I have AVS Forum set up to post the most recent posts first, (reverse order). So, I found the alphabetical listing as the last post on the last page.

Thanks for sticking with me until I got it figured out.
Ralph Potts likes this.

post #587 of 590 Old 11-25-2018, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Thanks Ralph. I found the problem. I have AVS Forum set up to post the most recent posts first, (reverse order). So, I found the alphabetical listing as the last post on the last page.

Thanks for sticking with me until I got it figured out.
Greetings,

Great! No problem at all.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #588 of 590 Old 12-10-2018, 10:25 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Greetings,

Great! No problem at all.

Regards,
Good day all,

Ralph, thanks for the wonderful work you do with your reviews, they are very insightful and have helped me build a nice movie collection at home.

Given your access to disc media, I was wondering if you have come across the March 2018 UHD demo disc from Dolby? This disc features both Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos demos. I happened to get my hand on one, and unfortunately, it does not work well with my setup. I'll explain...

As you can see from my signature below, on the audio side, my gear is well equipped for Dolby Atmos and DTS:X. Video wise I can also view 4k HDR10 content, however not Dolby Vision. Typically this would not be a problem since most discs include an HDR10 track which pairs well with Atmos and DTS:X. However, for some reason, this particular demo disc when played gives me an audible message claiming that I'm listening to the alternative audio track and need to set my UHD player to Bitstream and use an HDMI connection (both of which are already in place). On the video side, the disc displays the content but adds a text overlay which reads the same message about needing to set up the UHD player properly. I can understand the Dolby Vision part not working properly since my gear does not support DV, however, I don't understand why the Atmos audio would not play properly. I have other Dolby Atmos demo disc (Blu-ray versions) which work as they should. Not sure why this UHD version presents this issue.

So I'm wondering if this is something you may have come across yourself, or heard of prior to this message?

HT Room:18'x13'x7.5' with 2 rows of seating. Nvidia Shield (2017), SONY UBP-X800 4K UHD Blu-ray player.
Elite Screens Edge Free Aeon Series 100 inch Cinewhite Screen & Epson 5040UB Projector.
Pioneer SC-99 & Audiosource AD1002 for Atmos & DTS:X 7.2.4
Andrew Jones Pioneer Elite SP-EFS73 Mains, SP-EC73 Center, SP-EBS73-LR Rear Surrounds, SP-BS41-LR Side Surrounds & Dual SVS SB12-NSD Subs with MiniDSP 2x4 Tuned with REW and MSO.
post #589 of 590 Old 12-11-2018, 05:37 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 9
4k Ultra HD: It's a Wonderful Life

So I noticed this was to be released in November. It's 4K UHD in B&W. My question is, do you think B&W movies make a difference in this format? I mean, 4K UHD usually boasts parameters like Dynamic Range. I just don't think it will be noticed in 4K UHD.
I may be wrong though and was wondering what you all think about B&W movies being remastered into 4K UHD.
post #590 of 590 Old 12-12-2018, 09:53 AM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Ralph,

You are one of few people who really get to compare HD blu-ray and and 4K HDR blu-ray content back-to-back and on a regular basis. I have a Sony 1100 projector, which is a 4K projector, but it doesn't play nice with HDR content due to not accepting BT2020 content or being able to properly process HDR content. I believe your projector has HD panels, but uses e-shift and processes 4k and HDR content. I was curious as to your thoughts on 4K HDR content versus HD SDR content when viewed on projectors. I have a unique situation, but I have tried the Oppo 203 and the panasonic 820 blue ray player to convert 4k HDR content to 4K SDR rec 709 content. The panasonic is much better at this than the oppo, but overall, I feel like the HD blu-ray images are rendered better than the 4K HDR images on the projector. While a touch sharper, the HDR seems to dim the overall picture and oddly enough reduce contrast. Are you seeing a huge different between the two? Are you feeling like there are tradeoffs?

As always, love your reviews.

Regards,

Ben

Ben
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Pinocchio Se 2 Blu Ray Dvd , Australia Blu Ray , Cadillac Records Blu Ray , French Connection 2 Blu Ray , The Passion Of The Christ Definitive Edition Blu Ray , Raging Bull Blu Ray , Donnie Darko 10th Anniversary Edition Blu Ray , Futurama Volume 5 Blu Ray , Futurama Volume 7 Blu Ray , Futurama Volume 6 Blu Ray