1Likes
  • 1 Post By Otto Pylot

post #1 of 9 Old 01-12-2019, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Ruipro Fiber HDMI with Copper HDMI chain

I just purchased a 33' Ruipro Fiber to be delivered Monday. My source is Apple TV connected to a Yamaha cx-a5100 with a standard PC HDMI 3' cable then out the Yamaha with the Ruipro into my Sony 940e. Will this work in sync sending edid throughout the chain? My current 24' 24awg standard HDMI can only get me 30hz at the 32' distance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-12-2019, 03:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by u8mycrackers View Post
I just purchased a 33' Ruipro Fiber to be delivered Monday. My source is Apple TV connected to a Yamaha cx-a5100 with a standard PC HDMI 3' cable then out the Yamaha with the Ruipro into my Sony 940e. Will this work in sync sending edid throughout the chain? My current 24' 24awg standard HDMI can only get me 30hz at the 32' distance.
It should - just make sure you test before you put it in the wall.

Theater: Sony 75x940E | Yamaha 3060 | DirecTv HR54 | ATV4K | MP 4K HDBaseT Extender | SVS PC2000 sub | 5.1 surround
Networking: ASUS RT-AC68U (wireless disabled) | Ubiquiti AmpliFi HD Mesh Wireless with wired back-hauls
Automation & Lighting: Control4 & Lutron Homeworks Interactive
post #3 of 9 Old 01-12-2019, 03:56 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2617 Post(s)
Liked: 1772
Quote:

If I'm following you correctly the Yamaha is the hub, so the the ATV is connected via the 3' HDMI cable to the Yamaha and then out from the Yamaha via fiber (once it gets here to your tv).

AWG24 is a pretty thick cable which means you lose flexibility and increase the strain on your HDMI inputs so using a thinner cable is a good idea. By standard HDMI cable do you mean it's not a High Speed HDMI cable?

Which ATV? The ATV3 (1080) or the ATV4k (HDR)?

I would use a Premium High Speed HDMI cable from the ATV to the Yamaha. If all of your HDMI connected devices (ATV, Yamaha, and Sony) have the same HDMI hardware versions (HDMI 2.0b for example) then you shouldn't have any issues. However, if one of your devices has the HDMI 1.4 hardware, then your HDMI chain will be limited to the protocols that are part of the HDMI 1.4 chipsets. HDMI is backwards compatible but only to the in-common protocol sets.

At 33' be mindful of bend radius. In other words, if you need to make a bend in the cable run make it as gentle as possible.

What are you trying to push, 1080, 4k, 4k HDR?
Madmax67 likes this.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 01-12-2019, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

"If I'm following you correctly the Yamaha is the hub, so the the ATV is connected via the 3' HDMI cable to the Yamaha and then out from the Yamaha via fiber (once it gets here to your tv)."
Correct

"AWG24 is a pretty thick cable which means you lose flexibility and increase the strain on your HDMI inputs so using a thinner cable is a good idea. By standard HDMI cable do you mean it's not a High Speed HDMI cable?"
By Standard I was referring to copper end to end. This is the 24awg that is connected from the ATV4k to the Yamaha. It is short and is PC (premium Certified) High Speed. The Rubio is thin Slim version.

"What are you trying to push, 1080, 4k, 4k HDR?"
I just want to be able to optimize everything for future and get consistant bandwidth signal across the connection. I can pull 30hz 4k DV but, just being ocd anal, want to be able to support full 60hz. Right now if I get off of 30hz I get snow.

and thanks for the replies and advise from all!
Yes I have a test route layed out prior to entering the attic and pulling the lead for testing.
post #5 of 9 Old 01-13-2019, 11:07 AM

Quote:
"If I'm following you correctly the Yamaha is the hub, so the the ATV is connected via the 3' HDMI cable to the Yamaha and then out from the Yamaha via fiber (once it gets here to your tv)."
Correct

"AWG24 is a pretty thick cable which means you lose flexibility and increase the strain on your HDMI inputs so using a thinner cable is a good idea. By standard HDMI cable do you mean it's not a High Speed HDMI cable?"
By Standard I was referring to copper end to end. This is the 24awg that is connected from the ATV4k to the Yamaha. It is short and is PC (premium Certified) High Speed. The Rubio is thin Slim version.

"What are you trying to push, 1080, 4k, 4k HDR?"
I just want to be able to optimize everything for future and get consistant bandwidth signal across the connection. I can pull 30hz 4k DV but, just being ocd anal, want to be able to support full 60hz. Right now if I get off of 30hz I get snow.

and thanks for the replies and advise from all!
Yes I have a test route layed out prior to entering the attic and pulling the lead for testing.

The only way to "future proof" your cabling is to run your cable in a conduit, throw in a solid core CAT-6 cable (non-CCS and not a CAT-6 ethernet patch cable), and a pull string. The conduit will make it easier to upgrade your cabling because cable technology still lags behind video technology. The solid core CAT-6 will allow you to one, extend your etherent connection by terminating with a punch down keystone jack if you want/need to hardwire your HTS or two, extend your HDMI connection by terminating with HDBT. The pull string is obvious.

If ARC is a concern to you keep in mind that ARC in some systems has issues over long cable lengths, and some cables don't support it.

I'm assuming the fiber cable is a hybrid fiber cable from Ruipro?

post #6 of 9 Old 01-13-2019, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XGDFCSC

All my rooms are terminated with cat 5e and ran to a 24 port punchdown in my server closet. I increase the exposed twist by one at the punchdown on each side (an old trick I learned at the CO!). Each port managed and maintained on a Cisco switch. I have no concerns there as my LAN is really solid. My knowledge of HDMI however is enough to be dangerous which is why I come to the experts SME's like you guys. I honestly do appreciate all the information that you guys respond back with! Eases my BP for sure!! LOL
Also I do not use ARC. I am running out through Video source 2 on my Yamaha CX-a5100 and have video 1/ARC out disabled. I played with it a couple months back and you are right it is not stable.

Last edited by u8mycrackers; 01-13-2019 at 12:49 PM.
post #7 of 9 Old 01-14-2019, 07:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Having a conventional copper HDMI cable between the Source and the AVR will not be an issue when using a RuiPro Hybrid Fibre cable between the AVR and the Sink (Display) device.

Occasionally you have to add a 5v Power Inserter between the RuiPro cable and the Sink (Display) - we see that requirement on a very small number of installations.

Joe

Octava Inc. Multi-cast HD over LAN solutions.

RuiPro UK and EU Sales and Support

The Media Factory. Residential and Commercial systems.
post #8 of 9 Old 01-15-2019, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter

I received the Cable and connected the chain. Initial connectivity is solid for over 3 hours of viewing. I am going to continue to test it and make sure its all stable before running through the attic. Probably this coming weekend. Right now all formats are working so I am pleased with the purchase at this point! Thanks to all for addressing my concerns.
post #9 of 9 Old 01-15-2019, 09:37 AM

^^^^ Great!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World