79Likes

post #451 of 538 Old 12-28-2018, 03:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubers View Post
Yes that's it. We also turn off devices using a power strip. I don't want to but we have someone in the household who's adamant about it.

So, does that retain the setting from the service menu?

Thanks.
OMG, I must be getting sleepy...I can't believe I made that statement without actually answering your question!

In any case, I don't believe I've seen any setting changed or put back to default by doing this...
tubers likes this.

HT 5.2.2---TV:Samsung Q6F(QN82Q6FNAFXZA); Receiver:Denon AVR-X3400H; Sub:HSU Research VTF-2 MK5; Speakers:ELAC F6.2 (x2 -> Front R/L), ELAC C6.2 (Center), ELAC B6.2 (x2 -> Surround R/L), Onkyo SKB-750X (x2 -> Atmos "height" R/L); Sub #2:Onkyo SKW-750X; Connected Devices:Xfinity X1 HD DVR (TV shows), Sony PS4 Pro (UHD videos, gaming), Magnavox MBP6700 (UHD HDR movies), Sony PS3 (UPnP media player), Nintendo Switch (gaming)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 538 Old 12-28-2018, 04:16 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oubadah View Post
So the ghosting issue is only with the 82” model? I’m considering the 55” and this issue would be a deal breaker for me, but as far as I can tell nobody with the 55” model has reported it.
I have not seen any ghosting on my 65inch

Quote:
Thanks. Would you also happen to know if the setting resets when unplugging the TV? (turning off global dimming)
It should retain the settings from a power cycle, however when/if the firmware is updated you may need to apply the settings again
post #453 of 538 Old 12-29-2018, 05:04 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Anyone experiencing light bleeding effect from the subtitles?
I own a 55" Q6FN and I have noticed a bleeding effect when subtitles appear. The whole display is washed out. When subs disappear the contrast/brightness is back to normal.
tubers likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #454 of 538 Old 12-29-2018, 05:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi guys, New 55inch Q6FN owner here, got it at a steal price and very happy with it. Couple of questions though;

I’ve noticed the firmware version on the website doesn’t match my TVs, but when I try to update through the tv menu it says I have the latest software.... anyone else experience this?

I have some ever, ever so slight clouding on the bottom right of my screen, worth replacing or will it be a lottery?

TIA.
post #455 of 538 Old 12-30-2018, 07:39 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 16
The ghosting problem on the 82" sets is concerning.
I want to go with an 82" set and had narrowed my choices down to the Q6 due to budget but now am hesitant to buy one.
At this point I feel it might be safer to go with a 75".

Would you agree?
post #456 of 538 Old 12-30-2018, 08:09 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jds22 View Post
The ghosting problem on the 82" sets is concerning.
I want to go with an 82" set and had narrowed my choices down to the Q6 due to budget but now am hesitant to buy one.
At this point I feel it might be safer to go with a 75".

Would you agree?
Tough call... For me because of the viewing distance going smaller than an 82 will feel small, mainly because I've had 82 inches for the past 5 years.

The ghosting is a concern. It's not unwatchable by any stretch but is annoying when I notice it. I love the TV otherwise so I'm trying to figure out if I should try an exchange and maybe I'll get lucky? Based on feedback here though I don't think getting another Q6 is going to change things which sucks because I came from an 82 mu8000 and didn't have any visible ghosting like this set, so not sure why this higher end TV would have this problem. My only guess is that someone at Samsung made the conscious choice to go with the inferior panel to meet demand betting on the fact that many may not notice while others may just accept it. Shady for sure!

Still need to get to best buy and talk to them about it and try to compare to the floor unit. If it looks like it's just the way the Q6 is built (vs a defect) the I'll either live with it or pay $1500 more for a Q8 or Sony x900f, but I'm thinking I might give another Q6 a try on the chance that perhaps it's just a defective panel and doesn't affect every set.
post #457 of 538 Old 12-30-2018, 10:17 AM

Just got back from Best Buy. They had a 82 Q6 on the floor and they were nice enough to take it off of demo mode so that I can do some testing as I was trying to determine whether or not it's worth trying to get another Q6.

I pulled up YouTube and played the Motion Blur Dot test. It was no better than the screen in my living room. I then pulled up some Hockey footage, and same thing there as well. Basically I've concluded that the motion blur on 82" is the way the set is designed and so swapping it out with the exact same model will be a waste of time.

So now my options are:

1. Keep my Q6 and learn to live with the imperfection. The advantage here is that I got a really good price on BF for it.
2. Spend about $1500 more and get either a Q8 or X900f (leaning towards the X900f between the two).
3. Spend only $500 more and get the Sony x850. Not as nice as the 900f but closer to the Q6 price I paid.

I've got a little time to mull it over.. but for those of you with the same motion blur issue you should know that it seems to be the way the Q6 is and not a panel defect.
tubers and srkmish like this.
post #458 of 538 Old 12-30-2018, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamran Jahadi View Post
Just got back from Best Buy. They had a 82 Q6 on the floor and they were nice enough to take it off of demo mode so that I can do some testing as I was trying to determine whether or not it's worth trying to get another Q6.

I pulled up YouTube and played the Motion Blur Dot test. It was no better than the screen in my living room. I then pulled up some Hockey footage, and same thing there as well. Basically I've concluded that the motion blur on 82" is the way the set is designed and so swapping it out with the exact same model will be a waste of time.

So now my options are:

1. Keep my Q6 and learn to live with the imperfection. The advantage here is that I got a really good price on BF for it.
2. Spend about $1500 more and get either a Q8 or X900f (leaning towards the X900f between the two).
3. Spend only $500 more and get the Sony x850. Not as nice as the 900f but closer to the Q6 price I paid.

I've got a little time to mull it over.. but for those of you with the same motion blur issue you should know that it seems to be the way the Q6 is and not a panel defect.

Thanks for doing that. I'm pretty bummed now. Looks like I'll be going 75" as the Q6 82 was the top of my budget.
post #459 of 538 Old 12-30-2018, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Thanks for doing that. I'm pretty bummed now. Looks like I'll be going 75" as the Q6 82 was the top of my budget.
No problem. I wish i could consider a 75" but it's just going to be too small, so might have to bite the bullet and pay more for a different model.
post #460 of 538 Old 12-31-2018, 04:13 AM

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:

So now my options are:

I wonder how bright the 85 X850 gets. If it's about 500 nits then that's awesome specially if it doesn't have local dimming like the other X850Fs so no more blooming.
post #461 of 538 Old 12-31-2018, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elganja View Post
You can reduce Local Dimming to Low, but you cannot disable it, unless you use the service menu
Does it completely kill Samsung's infamous Global Dimming?
post #462 of 538 Old 12-31-2018, 04:28 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakshak View Post
Hi guys, New 55inch Q6FN owner here, got it at a steal price and very happy with it. Couple of questions though;

I’ve noticed the firmware version on the website doesn’t match my TVs, but when I try to update through the tv menu it says I have the latest software.... anyone else experience this?

I have some ever, ever so slight clouding on the bottom right of my screen, worth replacing or will it be a lottery?

TIA.
Same here.. you can manually update it using the USB, or just wait and it will eventually be pushed to the automatic update

Quote:
Does it completely kill Samsung's infamous Global Dimming?
I keep my local dimming on Low and have been satisfied... i have not noticed any glowing subtitles or anything of that sorts.
tubers likes this.
post #463 of 538 Old 01-01-2019, 10:07 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 3
New Year, New DTV Issue?

Good morning,

Fired up the Genie II and checked resolution in the info tab and it's 720

Went to the display, resolutions window only 720 checked. The other resolutions are grayed out and state that the tv is not capable of 1080i, 1080p and 4k.

TV is a 2018 Samsung QLED Q6FN that had been working fine with DTV and all resolutions.

The DTV is wired via direct hdmi to the tv.

The samsung displays blu-ray and uhd blu-ray fine, so somthing in DTV/Genie?

I've refreshed the DTV receiver through the website, rebooted, etc. and still only have 720 as a display option.

Any ideas appreciated.
Happy New Year!
post #464 of 538 Old 01-01-2019, 12:24 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Go for the 75"

Quote:
Hey @jds22 I would like to come back to this thread and kindly advise you to go for the 75" and then don't look back. I returned my 82" Q6FN and purchased the 75" Q7FN. My father in law shortly after purchased the 65" Q7FN. My Uncle got the 55" Q8FN. All of us do not have that terrible "Ghosting/Retention" issue and could not be happier with the incredible picture quality. Same as you, my budget topped out at an 82" special Black Friday offer which was the same price as the Q7FN currently is with a 15% Samsung deal. So I paid the same amount of money for a slightly smaller but definitely better set. Yes, I was a little bummed at first cause I was really looking forward to having an 82" at home. But honestly, it's not worth the trouble. The 75" is a beautiful size coming from a 65" and the bump in performance from the Q7 makes up for the lost 7" by far compared to the Q6. So just go for it! We can get an 82" or even 98" in a couple years for the same price ;-)

Cheers and happy new year!
post #465 of 538 Old 01-01-2019, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMac78 View Post
Hey @jds22 I would like to come back to this thread and kindly advise you to go for the 75" and then don't look back. I returned my 82" Q6FN and purchased the 75" Q7FN. My father in law shortly after purchased the 65" Q7FN. My Uncle got the 55" Q8FN. All of us do not have that terrible "Ghosting/Retention" issue and could not be happier with the incredible picture quality. Same as you, my budget topped out at an 82" special Black Friday offer which was the same price as the Q7FN currently is with a 15% Samsung deal. So I paid the same amount of money for a slightly smaller but definitely better set. Yes, I was a little bummed at first cause I was really looking forward to having an 82" at home. But honestly, it's not worth the trouble. The 75" is a beautiful size coming from a 65" and the bump in performance from the Q7 makes up for the lost 7" by far compared to the Q6. So just go for it! We can get an 82" or even 98" in a couple years for the same price ;-)

Cheers and happy new year!

Thanks for the advice. I'm coming from a 10yr old Samsung 55" at 10' viewing distance so I'm sure I'll be more than happy with a 75. Now I'm trying to decide between the Q6 or Q7. I have some more reading to do.

Thanks again and happy new year to you as well.
post #466 of 538 Old 01-01-2019, 01:55 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:

So now my options are:

Hey @Kamran Jahadi your options are not that great if you really need to go larger than 75"..

I would definitely not pick Option 1. You don't spend this kind of money for a TV and then having to live with this "imperfection".
It's not a minor issue. You will be seeing it every time you watch a Movie. Every time you watch a Show on Netflix. And it will bug the hell out of you cause you will constantly be looking for the issue instead of just enjoying the content.

Option 2 is a hard one to answer cause as far as I know (this is in Europe) the Q8 Series only goes up to 75".
You have the entry Q-Model Q6FN 82" or the top of the line Q9FN 88" (Very expensive). My opinion to SONY as an ex-SONY Customer is coming up..

Not a fan of your third option either. I left SONY due to too many problems with their panels and mainly, of course, to keep away from ANDROID I think I would prefer living with the ghosting rather than having to endure such a terrible and sluggish operating system. Android is the same reason many of my SONY-Friends have jumped away to Samsung.

Maybe there are other options for over 75" in the US? Panasonic? Visio? LG? As long as the TV is not based on an Android System and is NOT OLED it would be worth considering as an alternative. I personally backed down to the 75" as you can read in my last post.

Happy New Year and good luck continuing your search!
post #467 of 538 Old 01-01-2019, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Hey @Kamran Jahadi your options are not that great if you really need to go larger than 75"..

I would definitely not pick Option 1. You don't spend this kind of money for a TV and then having to live with this "imperfection".
It's not a minor issue. You will be seeing it every time you watch a Movie. Every time you watch a Show on Netflix. And it will bug the hell out of you cause you will constantly be looking for the issue instead of just enjoying the content.

Option 2 is a hard one to answer cause as far as I know (this is in Europe) the Q8 Series only goes up to 75".
You have the entry Q-Model Q6FN 82" or the top of the line Q9FN 88" (Very expensive). My opinion to SONY as an ex-SONY Customer is coming up..

Not a fan of your third option either. I left SONY due to too many problems with their panels and mainly, of course, to keep away from ANDROID I think I would prefer living with the ghosting rather than having to endure such a terrible and sluggish operating system. Android is the same reason many of my SONY-Friends have jumped away to Samsung.

Maybe there are other options for over 75" in the US? Panasonic? Visio? LG? As long as the TV is not based on an Android System and is NOT OLED it would be worth considering as an alternative. I personally backed down to the 75" as you can read in my last post.

Happy New Year and good luck continuing your search!
Thanks for your input. I think i've nixed the Sony... as you said, Android is painfully sluggish on their TVs and that would annoy the heck out of me. Also, I keep reading feedback and reviews about the input lag being not so good. I play ALOT of Xbox One X, so I like how Samsung is catering to the gamer more with it's features and less input lag.

I think I'm leaning toward the Q8 option. Here's the thing, I keep reading comments about Q8 motion blur as well. While I'm sure the PQ is better, if the 82" Q8 also has this issue then I'd be pissed that I spent a bunch more money and still have the issue. The thing is, for the most part the review sites (like rtings.com) make assumptions that all sizes of the model they review behave the same. Obviously in the case of the 82" Q6 that is not the case. Makes me wonder if the 82" Q8 is the same and unfortunately the store doesn't have an 82" Q8 on the floor either.

If anyone on here has made the decision to upgrade to the 82" Q8 because of the Q6 Ghosting/Motion blur issue, please comment on how that went. I would think the Q8 doesn't have the issue, but then again I wouldn't have thought the Q6 had it either. Amazing that Samsung considers this normal when my 82" MU8000 diddn't have it (or at least I never noticed in the 12 months of owning it).
post #468 of 538 Old 01-01-2019, 04:37 PM

Is it true that this only has single band wifi Not AC?
post #469 of 538 Old 01-02-2019, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Thanks for your input. I think i've nixed the Sony... as you said, Android is painfully sluggish on their TVs and that would annoy the heck out of me. Also, I keep reading feedback and reviews about the input lag being not so good. I play ALOT of Xbox One X, so I like how Samsung is catering to the gamer more with it's features and less input lag.

I think I'm leaning toward the Q8 option. Here's the thing, I keep reading comments about Q8 motion blur as well. While I'm sure the PQ is better, if the 82" Q8 also has this issue then I'd be pissed that I spent a bunch more money and still have the issue. The thing is, for the most part the review sites (like rtings.com) make assumptions that all sizes of the model they review behave the same. Obviously in the case of the 82" Q6 that is not the case. Makes me wonder if the 82" Q8 is the same and unfortunately the store doesn't have an 82" Q8 on the floor either.

If anyone on here has made the decision to upgrade to the 82" Q8 because of the Q6 Ghosting/Motion blur issue, please comment on how that went. I would think the Q8 doesn't have the issue, but then again I wouldn't have thought the Q6 had it either. Amazing that Samsung considers this normal when my 82" MU8000 diddn't have it (or at least I never noticed in the 12 months of owning it).
Hmm yea.. I think there actually is an 82" Q8 Model in the US. Never made it to Europe. And as far as I know, the panel inside should have FALD. Which does not mean they are not using the same LCD panel as in the Q6 though apart from the lighting system
You may be able to order one to your dealer, and ask to have a look at it in the store before you take it home? Or just have it delivered and if it has the same issue -> back it goes and they should come pick it up as a DOA product.

And yes your are right that you cannot base a certain Model series on ratings like Rtings.com at all. It may give you the idea about overall performance and features offered, but if they review a 55" it sure as hell aint gonna be the same as any other sizes, especially 65", 75" and 82". You are buying the same model with a larger screen - but you may often be buying a completely different panel, from a completely different manufacturer, with completely different performance and quality specs.

You're saying you didn't have this on your 82" MU8000 - I have however seen the problem myself on the 82" NU8000 as well as the 82" Q6 of course.

I hope you get to test a Q8 82" - would be interesting to know if this more supreme model actually has a better panel without the ghosting/motion-retention problem we are all talking about.
post #470 of 538 Old 01-02-2019, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Hmm yea.. I think there actually is an 82" Q8 Model in the US. Never made it to Europe. And as far as I know, the panel inside should have FALD. Which does not mean they are not using the same LCD panel as in the Q6 though apart from the lighting system
You may be able to order one to your dealer, and ask to have a look at it in the store before you take it home? Or just have it delivered and if it has the same issue -> back it goes and they should come pick it up as a DOA product.

And yes your are right that you cannot base a certain Model series on ratings like Rtings.com at all. It may give you the idea about overall performance and features offered, but if they review a 55" it sure as hell aint gonna be the same as any other sizes, especially 65", 75" and 82". You are buying the same model with a larger screen - but you may often be buying a completely different panel, from a completely different manufacturer, with completely different performance and quality specs.

You're saying you didn't have this on your 82" MU8000 - I have however seen the problem myself on the 82" NU8000 as well as the 82" Q6 of course.

I hope you get to test a Q8 82" - would be interesting to know if this more supreme model actually has a better panel without the ghosting/motion-retention problem we are all talking about.
Getting the Q8 into the dealer to test before purchase will be impossible. I might try to find one on a show room somewhere, but not sure I'll have much luck, and even if I do sometimes they won't take the set out of demo mode to test.

My MU8000 didn't have this issue, I'm almost certain I would have noticed in the 12 months of ownership. Unfortunately it had a different issue related to light bleed/clouding and so Samsung offered me a refund after owning it for a year. Great customer service btw... so I went out and got the Q6 because it was cheaper than the MU8000 I bought a year ago.

I'm ready to pony up the extra cash for the Q8, but i'm nervous that all 82" panels from Samsung exhibit this issue so I may not end up resolving anything AND there's always the risk of some other issue like heavy DSE or some other problem. Just wish I could get more feedback from 82" Q8 owners... seems like it's a small group of folks.
post #471 of 538 Old 01-02-2019, 03:58 PM

For anyone interested, I found a home theater store that had an 82" Q6 and Q8 side by side. The store was pretty empty and the sales guy let me do what I wanted.. so I streamed videos and tests on both sets at the same time for a true comparison, making sure all the settings were equal.

The main thing I wanted to know was whether the Q8 suffered from the same motion blur I was having on my Q6. What I found was that the Q8 does have motion blur, but it's not nearly as bad as on the Q6. The motion trails were definitely harder to see and I'd say in my opinion was about 50% less noticeable than on the Q6, but still definitely visible on the motion blur dot test, and a hockey game streamed on Youtube.

Other observations - The Q8 screen has more of a glossy black finish to eliminate glare. This has the effect of making the blacks look more "inky" like OLED, so combined with the better local dimming and FALD, it's got better contrast. Not OLED levels but closer. However I would say one side effect of the screen finish is that the overall brightness is reduced. Compared to the Q6 next to it, the Q8 just wasn't as bright.

Color volume was slightly better on the Q8... colors were more rich/vivid. It was noticeable but very slight improvement. You're probably not missing much with the Q6 unless you happen to have a Q8 next to it.

DSE was a little bit more pronounced on the Q8 than on the Q6 next to it and also mine at home. I realize this is hit or miss with the panel lottery, but this is also confirmed by Rtings so beware you may likely have a set with more DSE if choosing a Q8 over Q6.

So I haven't decided yet if what I saw was worth a $1500 price difference from the Q6. Yes, the trails are annoying but that's also very situational and most obvious when watching motion against against a white background which I don't typically spend alot of time doing. I wonder if i'd be better off pocketing the $1500 and using it a couple years down the road for my next upgrade. I think I need to reconsider the X900F as well.
DaverJ, simplepinoi177 and DaMac78 like this.
post #472 of 538 Old 01-02-2019, 06:00 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
For anyone interested, I found a home theater store that had an 82" Q6 and Q8 side by side. The store was pretty empty and the sales guy let me do what I wanted.. so I streamed videos and tests on both sets at the same time for a true comparison, making sure all the settings were equal.

The main thing I wanted to know was whether the Q8 suffered from the same motion blur I was having on my Q6. What I found was that the Q8 does have motion blur, but it's not nearly as bad as on the Q6. The motion trails were definitely harder to see and I'd say in my opinion was about 50% less noticeable than on the Q6, but still definitely visible on the motion blur dot test, and a hockey game streamed on Youtube.

Other observations - The Q8 screen has more of a glossy black finish to eliminate glare. This has the effect of making the blacks look more "inky" like OLED, so combined with the better local dimming and FALD, it's got better contrast. Not OLED levels but closer. However I would say one side effect of the screen finish is that the overall brightness is reduced. Compared to the Q6 next to it, the Q8 just wasn't as bright.

Color volume was slightly better on the Q8... colors were more rich/vivid. It was noticeable but very slight improvement. You're probably not missing much with the Q6 unless you happen to have a Q8 next to it.

DSE was a little bit more pronounced on the Q8 than on the Q6 next to it and also mine at home. I realize this is hit or miss with the panel lottery, but this is also confirmed by Rtings so beware you may likely have a set with more DSE if choosing a Q8 over Q6.

So I haven't decided yet if what I saw was worth a $1500 price difference from the Q6. Yes, the trails are annoying but that's also very situational and most obvious when watching motion against against a white background which I don't typically spend alot of time doing. I wonder if i'd be better off pocketing the $1500 and using it a couple years down the road for my next upgrade. I think I need to reconsider the X900F as well.

I also spent some time at a store and had them pull up brand new TVs so that I could perform the motion dot trail test as well as a clip of a hockey game. I tried the following brand-new out of the box TVs:
82" NU8000
82" Q6FN
82" Q8FN
75" Q6FN
75" Q8FN

All 3 of the 82" TVs had absolutely terrible ghosting just as bad as my 82" Q6FN at home. None of the 75" TVs that I tested had the issue, so my theory was correct. It seems all of the 82" TVs are bad with respect to motion and I would not advise anyone to purchase that size. I will most probably be moving down to a 75" myself and have made my intentions clear to the store owner.
simplepinoi177, tubers and DaMac78 like this.
post #473 of 538 Old 01-02-2019, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryJedi View Post
I also spent some time at a store and had them pull up brand new TVs so that I could perform the motion dot trail test as well as a clip of a hockey game. I tried the following brand-new out of the box TVs:
82" NU8000
82" Q6FN
82" Q8FN
75" Q6FN
75" Q8FN

All 3 of the 82" TVs had absolutely terrible ghosting just as bad as my 82" Q6FN at home. None of the 75" TVs that I tested had the issue, so my theory was correct. It seems all of the 82" TVs are bad with respect to motion and I would not advise anyone to purchase that size. I will most probably be moving down to a 75" myself and have made my intentions clear to the store owner.
I wonder, is this fixable via a later firmware update? Maybe that's why Samsung shipped thinking they can fix in the field at a later date?

This is killing me... I love my Q6 otherwise and coming from an 82 its really hard to go down in size. I guess my only other option is to consider Sony but I've been on their owners thread and there are other issues with that set. I hear alot of complaints about light blooming, that sounds awful!!
post #474 of 538 Old 01-03-2019, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryJedi View Post
82" NU8000
82" Q6FN
82" Q8FN
75" Q6FN
75" Q8FN

Wow.. @AngryJedi just took this thread to another level - I think it was also you that tried about 3 other 82" Q6 in another store where they all exhibited the same problem... And one of them even had the older Firmware.

Kudos to the store owner too - pretty amazing and very cool he let you do all that testing. What was his reaction to the issue?
If I was the store owner I'd send them all back to the supplier so Samsung can sit on them. You can't honestly sell this TV to customers.

This is a serious Fail on Samsungs part. Can't believe the Q8 also has it
All I can say is, you will be happy with the 75". I love the Q7FN and on top of the better picture you'll get the very cool one-connect-box.
tubers and srkmish like this.
post #475 of 538 Old 01-03-2019, 03:35 AM

Quote:

OK, at least the Q8 is a little better (in the case you tested). AngryJedi stated they were all bad, including the Q8 he checked.

The Q8FN and Q7FN both have better screen coating than the Q6FN. I have to say, after owning the Q6FN, the main thing you see is how much less the Q7FN reflects light from the room. With the Q6FN I often had to dimm the lights or close the blinds because it was almost like looking in a mirror. The Q7FN seems to swallow or absorb the reflections allot better which makes it easier to watch TV in a bright room or during daytime. Also, as you mentioned, the black levels seem a little deeper due to the very good coating.

You will get more DSE with the Q8 due to it's full array backlight system. I had a Sony with full array and the DSE was terrible.
The blacks may be better, but you get other issues like DSE unfortunately. I was very impressed with the uniformity on my KS9000 and it's also great on the new Q7F. Almost no DSE and only very little banding if tested with a moving test-screen. This is why I moved away from FALD. A well built Edge-Lit TV will always offer a much better uniformity in comparison to FALD. The blacks are also VERY good on the edge-lit so I decided not to go for the Q8. DSE is quite distracting.

Technically speaking, the Q6FN should reach a max. peak of 1000nits, the Q7FN 1500nits and the Q8 2000nits.
I was surprised how bright the 82" Q6FN got to be honest. I thought it would never reach the brightness needed. But it did very well.
Yes, the Q7FN is a little brighter and my friends Q8 is even brighter with it's 2000nits and deep black levels due to FALD.

In the end, I think all of these TV's reach incredible bright levels. And unless you are watching HDR content, you'll find yourself using the automatic dimming option allot. It is blinding in a dark room on all of these sets.

Last edited by DaMac78; 01-03-2019 at 04:18 AM.
post #476 of 538 Old 01-03-2019, 04:27 AM

Exclamation Firmware Update will not resolve ghosting

Quote:
I wonder, is this fixable via a later firmware update? Maybe that's why Samsung shipped thinking they can fix in the field at a later date?

This is killing me... I love my Q6 otherwise and coming from an 82 its really hard to go down in size. I guess my only other option is to consider Sony but I've been on their owners thread and there are other issues with that set. I hear alot of complaints about light blooming, that sounds awful!!
I really doubt that anything can be corrected with a Firmware update. This is a Panel Failure and it's just built with this retention flaw.
There have been other users with SONY TV's that had just as bad smearing if not even worse. And those were even 65" and 75" models!
Maybe the same manufacturer that made these bad 82" panels? (I don't know for sure but I think they are made either by AUO or Samsung themselves..)

Check youtube - you'll find some very ugly smearing on SONY 940 models and also others. Pretty sure Firmware will not save these panels.
post #477 of 538 Old 01-03-2019, 07:50 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 12
post #478 of 538 Old 01-03-2019, 07:52 AM

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Watching 4K HDR movies like The Dark Knight, I see quite a bit of light bleeding into the dark scenes, especially during the IMAX shots. The picture looks great other than that. Do others notice this during dark scenes with HDR movies? It can be a bit distracting, since it washes out the color and detail quite a bit depending on the scene.

Sony X900F
Xbox One X
PS4 Pro
post #479 of 538 Old 01-03-2019, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by videokid View Post
Here's a video of the Earth2 segment from my Q6 82"...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9t90...ature=youtu.be
Looks like @videokid might have been lucky with his panel. Maybe he purchased one of the flawless sets that where on display at CES ;-)

Where and when did you buy it? Anyway - be happy and enjoy your good set
post #480 of 538 Old 01-03-2019, 11:49 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Looks like @videokid might have been lucky with his panel. Maybe he purchased one of the flawless sets that where on display at CES ;-)

Where and when did you buy it? Anyway - be happy and enjoy your good set
Earth2 video was played over my wireless Gigapower network. Bought it from Samsung direct, October 15, 2018.
I'll post panel type, date built, etc. Could it be some of the settings? For the record, I think television quality has diminished since the Plasma sets were discontinued. Other than being SD and 4x3...my RCA 36" 4x3 tube set performs better than most LCD's of today. I still have it and it works perfectly(don't know why I don't toss it). No fall off at an angle, nice blacks, no blooming, ghosting, flashlighting. WTH is going on with technology?

Last edited by videokid; 01-03-2019 at 11:58 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays