Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinhvo View Post
It helps but it doesn't make me feel better
Question: When mouting your 82" Q8 TV, did you use the 45mm-long screws? Based on what you said I assume that you did use the Sammy provided spacers. So it was like: Q8 -> Sammy spacer -> Sanus BXT2-B1 bracket -> Sanus washer. If you were using the 45mm, did you remember how long/how much of an inch left on the screw that will eventually screws in to hold the TV?
Mine case, it's only about 0.25". Too little I think but I could be overthinking.
Just provide an update from post #389 in case someone looks for info in the future.
I do use the M8-50mm screws from Sanus BLT2-B1 wall mount, NOT the M8-45mm.
Note: 45mm (the C-length) is measured from the tip of the screw to the lip of the spacer provided by Samsung.
You need to add the thickness of the wall-mount itself plus the thickness of the washer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 529 Old 12-18-2018, 02:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey L View Post
Just to give a quick update, the screen still looks as good as it did after doing a firm wipe down of the screen. Very little if any clouding is visible. Just grateful I don't have to go through the hassle of exchanging it.

Is it still looking good a month and a half later? I'm thinking of trying this on my Q6, since mine also has come clouding.

Samsung 65Q6FN
Xbox One X
PS4 Pro
post #423 of 529 Old 12-18-2018, 06:49 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhyatt5871 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey L View Post
Just to give a quick update, the screen still looks as good as it did after doing a firm wipe down of the screen. Very little if any clouding is visible. Just grateful I don't have to go through the hassle of exchanging it.

Is it still looking good a month and a half later? I'm thinking of trying this on my Q6, since mine also has come clouding.
Yes it still looks as good. I may or may not do it again because it was much much better but there's still a little clouding.

Last edited by Rey L; 12-19-2018 at 09:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #424 of 529 Old 12-20-2018, 08:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Just wanted to add my experiences with the 82" ghosting. My set has it at least as bad as any I've seen here. The Youtube dot test is similar to what most people have posted and where it really bugs me seems to be animated shows. South Park, Simpsons, etc. all are incredibly annoying to watch, as the image is ghosting around on solid backgrounds nearly the entire show. Black pupils on white eyes are easily the worst, but body outlines moving on a solid background are a close second.

I don't seem to notice it on standard broadcasts, BD's or games so far, so at least I have that going for me. Aside from the ghosting, I've been absolutely satisfied with the set. I really hope this is a software issue that can be addressed, as I'm with most of you here and don't want to deal with the hassle of trying to return this beast and potentially getting one with additional issues.
post #425 of 529 Old 12-21-2018, 06:36 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Angry +1 for Ghosting Issue

Wanted to share my experience with the 82" q6FN. I too have noticeable ghosting. I first saw it when scrolling through Samsung menus when first setting up the TV, figured it was just a weird glitch with the menus. But then last night I'm watching the old classic Charlie Brown's X-MAS, and it was horrible. Every movement of the characters had this god awful ghosting, so i started researching and came across this thread.

I have run the Motion Blur test on You Tube and the Earth 2 4K video previously posted, and sure enough... my ghosting is just as bad as what others are sharing. Ugh, now what to do??

This TV is a replacement of my MU8000 that I had screen clouding issues with. After several panel replacements, Samsung gave me a refund through Best Buy and so I decided to upgrade to this years Q6. I've had the set for about a week now and overall I was thrilled at how much better the PQ is on this set, but now this. I can say without question my older MU8000 did not have this motion blur/ghosting issue. Also as as a side note, the DSE is noticeable.. but having gone through multiple screens with my MU8000 replacements, you're always going to have some DSE on these sets.

Anyway back to this issue, what to do now? I wonder, is this correctable through a Firmware upgrade or is it a physical defect of the panel? Given that others are also experiencing this issue, I'm thinking an exchange probably isn't going to solve the problem, so the question is do I return and just be done with Samsung once and for all?

Maybe I should go with the Sony X900F? I do play alot of Xbox and the variable refresh rate is what drew me to this over the Sony, but this motion blur might be a deal killer now. UGH.. cmon Samsung, why do you do this!!??
post #426 of 529 Old 12-21-2018, 10:59 AM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Owners with the ghosting and NO ghosting please share your panel manufacture (AA01 or FA02 for example) and where purchased (Costco or Best Buy).
Sony has this same issue on a couple of their recent TVs (65” Z9D and 75” 940E) so not just a Samsung issue with long panel response times that cause smearing/trails.
post #427 of 529 Old 12-21-2018, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyjspr9 View Post
Owners with the ghosting and NO ghosting please share your panel manufacture (AA01 or FA02 for example) and where purchased (Costco or Best Buy).
Sony has this same issue on a couple of their recent TVs (65” Z9D and 75” 940E) so not just a Samsung issue with long panel response times that cause smearing/trails.
Where do we get this information?

Also, I saw a post from someone on the Samsung forum that they started having this issue after the most recent firmware upgrade. Could this in fact be firmware related?
post #428 of 529 Old 12-21-2018, 05:17 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamran Jahadi View Post
Where do we get this information?

Also, I saw a post from someone on the Samsung forum that they started having this issue after the most recent firmware upgrade. Could this in fact be firmware related?
the panel type is either on the sticker that was on the cardboard box the tv came in or on the sticker on the back of the tv.

Fingers crossed the issue on the Samsungs people are experiencing with motion is firmware related and not panel. I just know on my Sony's that it's due to the panel. My 75" Q6 does not exhibit this motion smearing and was bought at Costco and is an FA02 panel.
post #429 of 529 Old 12-21-2018, 08:42 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamran Jahadi View Post

I want to believe it was the firmware update. Ive had my set for 45 days or better and find it hard to believe I just NOW started noticing the ghosting. Ive watched quite a bit of South Park and played a whole lot of RDR2 and didnt notice it until about two days ago. Wonder if theres a non-invasive way to roll back the firmware.

My set is a FA01 and was purchased at Costco.
post #430 of 529 Old 12-21-2018, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrashPanda View Post
I want to believe it was the firmware update. Ive had my set for 45 days or better and find it hard to believe I just NOW started noticing the ghosting. Ive watched quite a bit of South Park and played a whole lot of RDR2 and didnt notice it until about two days ago. Wonder if theres a non-invasive way to roll back the firmware.

Well shoot...i've got 30 days to figure it out because I either need to hope for a firmware upgrade, replace the TV with another Q6 (hoping that it's the panel), or just suck it up and pay more for X900F (or Q8).

Honestly I'd love to go OLED, but image retention/burn in is a deal killer for me.
post #431 of 529 Old 12-22-2018, 09:50 AM

Quote:

FA01 from Best Buy for me. I'm currently on Firmware v1153. TV is set to auto update, and reports this is the latest version. However, Samsung's download center shows 1202.3 (dec 20th) as the latest firmware. Why wouldn't my TV dowload this latest one? I'm desperately hoping that the firmware update fixes my issue (although some have reported that they've noticed the motion blur after the dec 20th update).
post #432 of 529 Old 12-22-2018, 12:22 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Edit...didn't mean to quote.

Ok...so my parents got the 82" TV from Costco and I'm been messing with the settings. It seems like the Rtings work well but my question is with the Apple TV.

I have it set to 4k 60hz and also Chroma 4.2.2. When I use Netflix from the Apple 4k all of the HDR movies show as Dolby Vision. When I go to the built in app on the TV those same titles say 'HDR'. Now I know this TV supports only HDR10 and from what's described on Netflix that's what I should be seeing.

Why do I only see Dolby Vision when using Netflix through the Apple TV? Matching content and framerate seem to not affect this.
post #433 of 529 Old 12-22-2018, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
Do you have the ATV4K set to 4K SDR default with matching range/frame rate enabled?
Playing with this setting it seems that the SDR looks better than the HDR for the menu. When watching HDR content does it matter? Will I still get the HDR?
post #434 of 529 Old 12-22-2018, 12:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1284 Post(s)
Liked: 527
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiBourne View Post
Playing with this setting it seems that the SDR looks better than the HDR for the menu. When watching HDR content does it matter? Will I still get the HDR?
Correct, that's what matching "range" does. It matches SDR to SDR content, and HDR10/Dolby Vision to HDR10/Dolby Vision content.
post #435 of 529 Old 12-23-2018, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiBourne View Post
Edit...didn't mean to quote.

Ok...so my parents got the 82" TV from Costco and I'm been messing with the settings. It seems like the Rtings work well but my question is with the Apple TV.

I have it set to 4k 60hz and also Chroma 4.2.2. When I use Netflix from the Apple 4k all of the HDR movies show as Dolby Vision. When I go to the built in app on the TV those same titles say 'HDR'. Now I know this TV supports only HDR10 and from what's described on Netflix that's what I should be seeing.

Why do I only see Dolby Vision when using Netflix through the Apple TV? Matching content and framerate seem to not affect this.
Ok, so I tried Netflix through the Xbox One and it also gives me the 'HDR' label instead of the 'Dolby Vision' icon like the Apple 4k TV does. All that said...it doesn't matter. Lol

When you play a movie/show with either icon the movie plays the HDR version. You can see when you look at the picture settings...I've been messing with the settings so much!

Oh well. After a few days I think I have the settings I like...even though it's my parents tv! They seem not to care.

I followed the Rtings settings and for HDR content it looks good but for the cable box it just looks flat. What actually worked for regular cable was turning on HDR Plus as someone else had suggested.

I'm in the market for a TV but waiting until I buy a house which I'm in the process of now. Not sure if I'll get this one since it's no longer on sale. Either way for the sale price in November it's a great set.

Coming from a Panasonic GT30 which I love, but admit it could use more brightness during the day, I was worried about switching to an LED. These newer LED's do look great though.

Thanks to all in this thread for all the great info!
post #436 of 529 Old 12-24-2018, 03:03 AM

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Is it true that there is no way to turn off overscan on SD channels?

We still watch certain cable box channels that aren't HD.
post #437 of 529 Old 12-25-2018, 01:54 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Are there CEC and ARC issues with these TV's?

I'm looking to get a Samsung 75" Q6FN TV and the smaller model Samsung N850 (just the speakerbar w/sub) and I was curious if there were any issues with ARC/CEC connectivity?
I'd be connecting a PC and PS3 to the speakerbar.

Looking to switch from a Vizio p75-f1 because of the ARC/CEC issues with speakerbars in general. This TV seems to disconnect the speakerbars after they have been turned off for a night and you must fully disable CEC and then re-enable it to get vol/mute capabilities back.

Willing to pay a little more money to get into a more trouble free scenario if possible.

SIDE NOTE: However with all this talk on the problems with this "ghosting", maybe I don't want to consider it? Has anyone tested the 75" to see if they have this? I testing the Vizio and no such issues when playing Simon the Bunny.

"GUESS WHAT?!! I've got a fever. And the only perscription...is more cow bell" - Christopher Walken - SNL
post #438 of 529 Old 12-25-2018, 03:03 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubers View Post
Is it true that there is no way to turn off overscan on SD channels?

We still watch certain cable box channels that aren't HD.
I don't know what medium you're using for SD channels (cable or satellite or other), but at least for Xfinity/Comcast, you usually can control this type of thing in the settings. If an X1 cable box, in the Device Settings and Video Settings, you can set the "Zoom" to Full or not. Also, you might consider turning off the "Prefer Best Resolution Available"... best way to tune into SD channels as well...

Hope this helps... Happy Holidays!
tubers likes this.

HT 5.2.2---TV:Samsung Q6F(QN82Q6FNAFXZA); Receiver:Denon AVR-X3400H; Sub:HSU Research VTF-2 MK5; Speakers:ELAC F6.2 (x2 -> Front R/L), ELAC C6.2 (Center), ELAC B6.2 (x2 -> Surround R/L), Onkyo SKB-750X (x2 -> Atmos "height" R/L); Sub #2:Onkyo SKW-750X; Connected Devices:Xfinity X1 HD DVR (TV shows), Sony PS4 Pro (UHD videos, gaming), Magnavox MBP6700 (UHD HDR movies), Sony PS3 (UPnP media player), Nintendo Switch (gaming)
post #439 of 529 Old 12-25-2018, 03:16 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
This looks very interesting.
post #440 of 529 Old 12-25-2018, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplepinoi177 View Post
I don't know what medium you're using for SD channels (cable or satellite or other), but at least for Xfinity/Comcast, you usually can control this type of thing in the settings. If an X1 cable box, in the Device Settings and Video Settings, you can set the "Zoom" to Full or not. Also, you might consider turning off the "Prefer Best Resolution Available"... best way to tune into SD channels as well...

Hope this helps... Happy Holidays!
Cox. Old style cable box.

Thanks.

Do you think the Q6FN has washed out colors and worse viewing angles than X900F, Vizio P 2018, TCL 6 2018 (from these 3 I find the X900F best viewing angle for VA but I was only unscientifically testing at the store)?
post #441 of 529 Old 12-25-2018, 11:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Do you think the Q6FN has washed out colors and worse viewing angles than X900F, Vizio P 2018, TCL 6 2018 (from these 3 I find the X900F best viewing angle for VA but I was only unscientifically testing at the store)?
Here are the viewing angle ratings for all TVs. Your eye test was bang on, the Sony 900F is the best of the 4 you listed. All of them are about the same for color shift and black level shift but the Sony is far superior for brightness shift.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/pict.../viewing-angle
tubers likes this.
post #442 of 529 Old 12-25-2018, 11:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojr74 View Post
I'm looking to get a Samsung 75" Q6FN TV and the smaller model Samsung N850 (just the speakerbar w/sub) and I was curious if there were any issues with ARC/CEC connectivity?
I'd be connecting a PC and PS3 to the speakerbar.

Looking to switch from a Vizio p75-f1 because of the ARC/CEC issues with speakerbars in general. This TV seems to disconnect the speakerbars after they have been turned off for a night and you must fully disable CEC and then re-enable it to get vol/mute capabilities back.

Willing to pay a little more money to get into a more trouble free scenario if possible.

SIDE NOTE: However with all this talk on the problems with this "ghosting", maybe I don't want to consider it? Has anyone tested the 75" to see if they have this? I testing the Vizio and no such issues when playing Simon the Bunny.
All equipment using ARC/CEC can have issues. You can improve your odds by minimizing the number of manufacturers in use. CEC lacks standards and every manufacturer implements it differently which is why its a common problem.
post #443 of 529 Old 12-26-2018, 09:24 AM

Liked: 4
Quote:

I have the 82 inch purchased from Costco. It is a FA01 set.

Does anyone have an 82 inch that has a FA02 screen?
post #444 of 529 Old 12-26-2018, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
Here are the viewing angle ratings for all TVs. Your eye test was bang on, the Sony 900F is the best of the 4 you listed. All of them are about the same for color shift and black level shift but the Sony is far superior for brightness shift.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/pict.../viewing-angle
Much thanks.

Btw, do you know if it's possible to disable both global dimming and local dimming?

I cannot find it anymore where it was mentioned that using a PC setting or maybe renaming an input as a TC kills off all brightness fluctuations at the cost of certain settings getting locked in or out of. I think it was color space and some other settings.

I'm quite interested in this Q6 set but we do watch a lot with subtitles.
post #445 of 529 Old 12-27-2018, 04:27 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Much thanks.

Btw, do you know if it's possible to disable both global dimming and local dimming?

I cannot find it anymore where it was mentioned that using a PC setting or maybe renaming an input as a TC kills off all brightness fluctuations at the cost of certain settings getting locked in or out of. I think it was color space and some other settings.

I'm quite interested in this Q6 set but we do watch a lot with subtitles.
You can reduce Local Dimming to Low, but you cannot disable it, unless you use the service menu
tubers likes this.
post #446 of 529 Old 12-27-2018, 10:44 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 12
So the ghosting issue is only with the 82” model? I’m considering the 55” and this issue would be a deal breaker for me, but as far as I can tell nobody with the 55” model has reported it.
post #447 of 529 Old 12-28-2018, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oubadah View Post
So the ghosting issue is only with the 82” model? I’m considering the 55” and this issue would be a deal breaker for me, but as far as I can tell nobody with the 55” model has reported it.
How about let's just say it's STRONGLY with the 82" model.... (*more than any other model...)

HT 5.2.2---TV:Samsung Q6F(QN82Q6FNAFXZA); Receiver:Denon AVR-X3400H; Sub:HSU Research VTF-2 MK5; Speakers:ELAC F6.2 (x2 -> Front R/L), ELAC C6.2 (Center), ELAC B6.2 (x2 -> Surround R/L), Onkyo SKB-750X (x2 -> Atmos "height" R/L); Sub #2:Onkyo SKW-750X; Connected Devices:Xfinity X1 HD DVR (TV shows), Sony PS4 Pro (UHD videos, gaming), Magnavox MBP6700 (UHD HDR movies), Sony PS3 (UPnP media player), Nintendo Switch (gaming)
post #448 of 529 Old 12-28-2018, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elganja View Post
You can reduce Local Dimming to Low, but you cannot disable it, unless you use the service menu
Thanks. Would you also happen to know if the setting resets when unplugging the TV? (turning off global dimming)
post #449 of 529 Old 12-28-2018, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Thanks. Would you also happen to know if the setting resets when unplugging the TV? (turning off global dimming)
I don't know if this is exactly what you mean...but I unplug (in a manner -- turn off power strip) my Q6F nightly....
tubers likes this.

post #450 of 529 Old 12-28-2018, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplepinoi177 View Post
I don't know if this is exactly what you mean...but I unplug (in a manner -- turn off power strip) my Q6F nightly....
Yes that's it. We also turn off devices using a power strip. I don't want to but we have someone in the household who's adamant about it.

So, does that retain the setting from the service menu?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays