8212Likes

post #8401 of 8463 Old 01-09-2019, 02:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by John9999 View Post
I have a power related issue also. I am using optical out to feed a Klipsch soundbar. The optical out feed never turns off even when TV is turned off so the soundbar is always powered on. I have to physical turn off the soundbar with the rocker switch in the back of it. A royal pain in the a**. Any ideas on this?
There are a number of AC sockets that can be accessed by wifi or bluetooth or a small included remote. They can be had for around $10 and up. Plug one of these into the wall and the sound bar into the socket and leave the Klipsch power switch on all the time. You can now power the Klipsch on and off via the socket with the remote or your phone. Not the most elegant solution to be sure but more convenient than fumbling behind the soundbar every time you use it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8402 of 8463 Old 01-09-2019, 02:39 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seryl View Post
There are a number of AC sockets that can be accessed by wifi or bluetooth or a small included remote. They can be had for around $10 and up. Plug one of these into the wall and the sound bar into the socket and leave the Klipsch power switch on all the time. You can now power the Klipsch on and off via the socket with the remote or your phone. Not the most elegant solution to be sure but more convenient than fumbling behind the soundbar every time you use it.
Thanks for the suggestion but fumbling with the phone is worse for me than using the rocker switch.
post #8403 of 8463 Old 01-09-2019, 08:32 PM

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Ski View Post
They are still reviewing the resubmission. I am waiting for the update. That stinks though, I have a 55 inch 900F as well, nice TV but not as good as the 940e in my opinion. Did they give you an option to pay a bit more to go up a tier to the Z9D or Z9F?
I tried paying to upgrade, but they wouldn't go for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8404 of 8463 Old 01-10-2019, 05:50 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by neod192 View Post
I tried paying to upgrade, but they wouldn't go for it.
That really stinks. There is no equivalent to the 940e at this time. When I made the purchase the TV was 4K which is what the Z9D is going for now. The XBR75900F is going for $2800 on average. That is a big loss for the customer. They should just suck it up and give us the Z9
Cam1977 likes this.

Video: Sony XBR75X940E
Audio: Pioneer Elite VSX-LX301 -> Klipsch 5.1.2 | RP-250F | RP-250C | RP-150M | RP-140SA | R-112SW
Inputs: Apple TV 4k | Oppo UDP-203 | Sony Playstation 4 Pro | Sony Playstation 3 | Nintendo Switch
post #8405 of 8463 Old 01-10-2019, 07:35 AM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
I have a power related issue also. I am using optical out to feed a Klipsch soundbar. The optical out feed never turns off even when TV is turned off so the soundbar is always powered on. I have to physical turn off the soundbar with the rocker switch in the back of it. A royal pain in the a**. Any ideas on this?
Instructions for the SB-3 klipsch soundbar have this to say about power:
There is not a power on/off button on the front of the soundbar (there is a Main power switch on the soundbar’s rear
panel). You do not need to turn off the soundbar (or subwoofer) when finished watching TV. when finished, turn off your TV (or Satellite or
cable box if the soundbar is connected to that). The soundbar (and the subwoofer) will automatically go into a Standby or “sleep” mode
if they do not receive an audio signal from your TV, Satellite or cable Box for approximately 10 minutes. Standby mode is indicated by a
solid red status light on the soundbar front and on the subwoofer rear panel. when your TV, Satellite or cable box is turned back on and a
signal is again received, the soundbar (and subwoofer) will automatically come out of Standby mode and turn on

Is yours different?
post #8406 of 8463 Old 01-10-2019, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin@KAB View Post
Instructions for the SB-3 klipsch soundbar have this to say about power:
There is not a power on/off button on the front of the soundbar (there is a Main power switch on the soundbar’s rear
panel). You do not need to turn off the soundbar (or subwoofer) when finished watching TV. when finished, turn off your TV (or Satellite or
cable box if the soundbar is connected to that). The soundbar (and the subwoofer) will automatically go into a Standby or “sleep” mode
if they do not receive an audio signal from your TV, Satellite or cable Box for approximately 10 minutes. Standby mode is indicated by a
solid red status light on the soundbar front and on the subwoofer rear panel. when your TV, Satellite or cable box is turned back on and a
signal is again received, the soundbar (and subwoofer) will automatically come out of Standby mode and turn on

Is yours different?
That is the soundbar I have and this exactly the problem, it does not go into sleep mode when TV is powered off it stays on no matter what the status of the TV. So it is obvious that the optical out stays energized even when the TV is off. Previous to purchasing the 940E I had the soundbar connected to a Sharp TV and it worked perfectly as described in the manual you quoted.
post #8407 of 8463 Old 01-10-2019, 08:15 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
That really stinks. There is no equivalent to the 940e at this time. When I made the purchase the TV was 4K which is what the Z9D is going for now. The XBR75900F is going for $2800 on average. That is a big loss for the customer. They should just suck it up and give us the Z9
I agree, but should do and will do are 2 very different thing in this case. Even if they give you the option to upgrade it is still not a good deal at least it wasn't for me...they wanted way to much extra $.

All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.
T. E. Lawrence
post #8408 of 8463 Old 01-10-2019, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falonious View Post
I agree, but should do and will do are 2 very different thing in this case. Even if they give you the option to upgrade it is still not a good deal at least it wasn't for me...they wanted way to much extra $.
What did you end up doing? Did you take the downgrade or did they credit you?

Audio: Pioneer Elite VSX-LX301 -> Klipsch 5.1.2 | RP-250F | RP-250C | RP-150M | RP-140SA | R-112SW
Inputs: Apple TV 4k | Oppo UDP-203 | Sony Playstation 4 Pro | Sony Playstation 3 | Nintendo Switch
post #8409 of 8463 Old 01-10-2019, 05:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2597 Post(s)
Liked: 2917
Quote:
Yes it does stink...I believe this and the Z9D are the best bang for your buck high end lcd sets out their to include the new models, I would still try and see if they budge on the Z9D.
post #8410 of 8463 Old 01-10-2019, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falonious View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam1977 View Post
Yes it does stink...I believe this and the Z9D are the best bang for your buck high end lcd sets out their to include the new models, I would still try and see if they budge on the Z9D.
So, I spent about an hour on the phone with various people. Kept pushing them on the price difference between models and that is not fair to the consumer to take such a hit. They eventually agreed to replace it with a new unit instead of a referb. They also offered the Z9D but wanted $1200. I just stuck with the 940e. Should be getting the replacement in a few days.

post #8411 of 8463 Old 01-10-2019, 06:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2597 Post(s)
Liked: 2917
^man that's awesome to hear, I would have pushed as much as I could as well! Congrats bro!
Drew Ski likes this.
post #8412 of 8463 Old 01-10-2019, 07:32 PM

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
So, I spent about an hour on the phone with various people. Kept pushing them on the price difference between models and that is not fair to the consumer to take such a hit. They eventually agreed to replace it with a new unit instead of a referb. They also offered the Z9D but wanted $1200. I just stuck with the 940e. Should be getting the replacement in a few days.
Awesome. Bravo!
Drew Ski likes this.
post #8413 of 8463 Old 01-11-2019, 07:30 AM

Quote:
That is the soundbar I have and this exactly the problem, it does not go into sleep mode when TV is powered off it stays on no matter what the status of the TV. So it is obvious that the optical out stays energized even when the TV is off. Previous to purchasing the 940E I had the soundbar connected to a Sharp TV and it worked perfectly as described in the manual you quoted.
http://us.community.sony.com/s/ques...language=en_US
similar problem on 930E
and here http://forums.digitalspy.com/discus...optical-output

I have an idea, see if the klipsch interface has a sensitivity setting for the sleep function. If the one comment about low level noise is true, maybe you can reduce
the sensitivity to it and get proper operation back. If it truly looks only at audio, there must be some sound still there, have you listened close to the speakers to see
if you can hear anything coming out when the TV is off?
post #8414 of 8463 Old 01-11-2019, 08:30 AM

I have an idea, see if the klipsch interface has a sensitivity setting for the sleep function. If the one comment about low level noise is true, maybe you can reduce
the sensitivity to it and get proper operation back. If it truly looks only at audio, there must be some sound still there, have you listened close to the speakers to see
if you can hear anything coming out when the TV is off?[/quote]

Thank you for this info and your ideas. There is no sensitivity adjustments for the sleep function. I do hear a very faint hiss when TV is off and I put my ear up to speaker. Interestingly I tried turning on the soundbar with the TV off, it took about 3 minutes before the soundbar woke up, seems that the TV may be sending out an intermittent signal when it is off. Unfortunately this appears to be one of those unintended incompatibility issues between two different manufacturers. Still a royal pain in the a**.
post #8415 of 8463 Old 01-11-2019, 05:02 PM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Question: is there anything that I need to do to watch DV movies (via the Oppo) on this TV? I find it difficult to tell what ‘implementation’ is being used when watching.
post #8416 of 8463 Old 01-11-2019, 05:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by ph3ng View Post
Question: is there anything that I need to do to watch DV movies (via the Oppo) on this TV? I find it difficult to tell what ‘implementation’ is being used when watching.
the

If its DV you will see HDR in the corner and dolby vison as the picture mode in picture adjustments settings. Its automatic if the TV is getting the signal.
post #8417 of 8463 Old 01-11-2019, 08:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by SightSeeker1 View Post
If its DV you will see HDR in the corner and dolby vison as the picture mode in picture adjustments settings. Its automatic if the TV is getting the signal.
Somewhat incorrect. DV content will trigger a momentary DV badge on the upper right area of the display and picture adjustments will show Dolby Vision section. HDR will show HDR.

Theater: Sony 75x940E | Yamaha 3060 | DirecTv HR54 | ATV4K | MP 4K HDBaseT Extender | SVS PC2000 sub | 5.1 surround
Networking: ASUS RT-AC68U (wireless disabled) | Ubiquiti AmpliFi HD Mesh Wireless with wired back-hauls
Automation & Lighting: Control4 & Lutron Homeworks Interactive
post #8418 of 8463 Old 01-12-2019, 12:05 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 6503 Post(s)
Liked: 14652
With DV content the tv displays both HDR and DV simutariosly under picture adjustments. HDR lwill be displayed in the picture adjustments box and DV will be displayed under picture mode replacing cinema pro or whichever mode you normally use.

post #8419 of 8463 Old 01-12-2019, 03:38 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I'm watching outlaw king on Netflix in DD, using tv app. PQ looks terrible, almost SD quality. I have 100+ mbit streaming. Not sure if I have setting wrong somewhere. Tv display says HDR, but I thought Netflix app can put out DD. Either way, PQ was garbage

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
post #8420 of 8463 Old 01-12-2019, 10:21 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzinckgra View Post
I'm watching outlaw king on Netflix in DD, using tv app. PQ looks terrible, almost SD quality. I have 100+ mbit streaming. Not sure if I have setting wrong somewhere. Tv display says HDR, but I thought Netflix app can put out DD. Either way, PQ was garbage

I haven't used the built in apps for about a year and a half, but I recall them being terrible. The Ethernet and Wi-Fi connections on this TV are garbage, which is why I use an Apple TV 4K. The Speed Test app on my ATV normally shows 600-700 Mbps down whereas the TV used to show me 25 Mbps down on average on both Ethernet and Wi-Fi using the same Gigabit internet plan I have.
chunon likes this.
post #8421 of 8463 Old 01-12-2019, 12:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Quote:

Did you upgrade your Netflix plan to the 4K offering?

Theater: Sony 75x940E | Yamaha 3060 | DirecTv HR54 | ATV4K | MP 4K HDBaseT Extender | SVS PC2000 sub | 5.1 surround
Networking: ASUS RT-AC68U (wireless disabled) | Ubiquiti AmpliFi HD Mesh Wireless with wired back-hauls
Automation & Lighting: Control4 & Lutron Homeworks Interactive
post #8422 of 8463 Old 01-12-2019, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrendSetterX View Post
Did you upgrade your Netflix plan to the 4K offering?
Yes

post #8423 of 8463 Old 01-13-2019, 07:28 AM

Thank you for this info and your ideas. There is no sensitivity adjustments for the sleep function. I do hear a very faint hiss when TV is off and I put my ear up to speaker. Interestingly I tried turning on the soundbar with the TV off, it took about 3 minutes before the soundbar woke up, seems that the TV may be sending out an intermittent signal when it is off. Unfortunately this appears to be one of those unintended incompatibility issues between two different manufacturers. Still a royal pain in the a**.[/QUOTE]
http://www.amazon.com/Tendak-Optica.../dp/B00Y0K9YXK
Here is a $20 option. remote control spdif switch box. Run the TV through the switch box and select a open input to shut down the sound bar.
post #8424 of 8463 Old 01-13-2019, 07:46 AM

I see the sb-3 has a source selector. I wonder if you just put it on a different source, if it will go to sleep? That would seem the easiest solution.
post #8425 of 8463 Old 01-13-2019, 08:03 AM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Live Football Mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
With DV content the tv displays both HDR and DV simutariosly under picture adjustments. HDR lwill be displayed in the picture adjustments box and DV will be displayed under picture mode replacing cinema pro or whichever mode you normally use.
Any body out there using this mode? I tried it and I like it.

CHAS ZOSS OPPO EAP 2nd ROUND late entry! Sony 940E Sony 850 C Oppo 103 Oppo 203
post #8426 of 8463 Old 01-14-2019, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin@KAB View Post
I see the sb-3 has a source selector. I wonder if you just put it on a different source, if it will go to sleep? That would seem the easiest solution.
Thanks for all the suggestions. These two units definitely have a mind of their own and will not work together I Switched the SB-3 to a different empty source as you suggested, but the SB-3 detected a signal from the TV (when off) and automatically switched back to the TV optical source.
post #8427 of 8463 Old 01-14-2019, 10:48 AM

Quote:

So I went back and started playing this movie again except went through the netflix app on my tivo box, which feeds through the AVR. PQ, while not great looked better than going through netflix app on TV. Not what I would expect.
post #8428 of 8463 Old 01-14-2019, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Thanks for all the suggestions. These two units definitely have a mind of their own and will not work together I Switched the SB-3 to a different empty source as you suggested, but the SB-3 detected a signal from the TV (when off) and automatically switched back to the TV optical source.
That's really something. You might check with Klipsch about that behavior.
Anyway, that leaves http://www.amazon.com/Tendak-Optica.../dp/B00Y0K9YXK
A $20 option. remote control spdif switch box. Run the TV through the switch box and select a open input to shut down the sound bar.
post #8429 of 8463 Old 01-15-2019, 11:36 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Haha! We sure do have to put up with some horrible 1st world problems don't we?
post #8430 of 8463 Old 01-15-2019, 11:41 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
They are still reviewing the resubmission. I am waiting for the update. That stinks though, I have a 55 inch 900F as well, nice TV but not as good as the 940e in my opinion. Did they give you an option to pay a bit more to go up a tier to the Z9D or Z9F?
Canada still has the 940e in stock & the price dropped by about $1600 a month ago. My timing was bad, I bought at the old price cause I thought they'd go out of stock before prices dropped. I have great hindsight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
signal loss