post #8341 of 8463 Old 12-30-2018, 02:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2597 Post(s)
Liked: 2917
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Ski View Post

Is it really just who you get on the line?
Keep trying...you never know.
audiofan1 and Seryl like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8342 of 8463 Old 12-30-2018, 03:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1540 Post(s)
Liked: 1258
And when someone say's no you ask to speak to a supervisor.
audiofan1, Cam1977 and Seryl like this.

These are just my opinions.
post #8343 of 8463 Old 12-31-2018, 07:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 23
joined the 940e family yesterday. Looking forward to looking through this thread for peoples settings. Initially using the RTINGS ones, but assume there are some tweaks since those have been out a while.
audiofan1 and srkmish like this.

Gamertag: Fargus
Playstation ID: Fargus79
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8344 of 8463 Old 12-31-2018, 07:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I'm trying to figure out if I have a handshake issue with the 940 apps and no sound to my AVR. It's random, but sometimes when I go to open netflix in the TV apps, it loads, but I get no sound. Other times the sound works. I have a pretty basic setup with our Tivo box running into HDMI 2 on my AVR, then out to the ARC input on 940. When I go to load a TV app, the TV sends signal to AVR to switch input from HDMI 2 to AV1, but no sound comes out through my AVR speakers. Is there any way to resolve this? I know I could run an optical cable between 940 and AVR, but I'd rather not and I've read elsewhere that that doesn't always solve the problem.

Interestingly when I updated the 940s firmware the issue started, so I did a factory reset and the issue still remains.
post #8345 of 8463 Old 12-31-2018, 11:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzinckgra View Post
I'm trying to figure out if I have a handshake issue with the 940 apps and no sound to my AVR. It's random, but sometimes when I go to open netflix in the TV apps, it loads, but I get no sound. Other times the sound works. I have a pretty basic setup with our Tivo box running into HDMI 2 on my AVR, then out to the ARC input on 940. When I go to load a TV app, the TV sends signal to AVR to switch input from HDMI 2 to AV1, but no sound comes out through my AVR speakers. Is there any way to resolve this? I know I could run an optical cable between 940 and AVR, but I'd rather not and I've read elsewhere that that doesn't always solve the problem.

Interestingly when I updated the 940s firmware the issue started, so I did a factory reset and the issue still remains.
There are quite a few very annoy problems with the oreo update! (especially with OTA TV)

A couple of things that have worked for me sound issues
1) Sometimes the AVR get muted (probably by the TV)
2) Sometimes the audio goes back to the TV rather than the AVR, so has to be changed in the TV sound settings

3) Sometimes switching the input on the AVR to something else , then changed back works

4) Last resort that usually works (not always) is to power off the AVR and turn it back
post #8346 of 8463 Old 12-31-2018, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Wow, quite a job to read through this entire thread over the last few weeks! I bought my 940E right before Thanksgiving, had the chance to get the 900F for the same price but it seemed like a no brainer for picture quality since I'm not a twitch gamer. Geek Squad mounted it, and I'm definitely not sure that they did things properly with the right screws, washers etc, but so far so good. I have seen some dark corners, DSE on splash screens, etc, but I have no complaints about the picture when watching content for sure! I am seeing some judder on news/sports tickers, not sure if there's a magic bullet to fix that. I started from the RTings settings and tweaked from there. I have not been prompted for the Oreo update, not going to go out of my way to install it via USB. I also picked up an HT-ST5000 at the same time, and am running all devices through that rather than using ARC to ensure I get the best Atmos possible. I've had a couple of occasions where the picture (but not sound) is lost from my cable box, but I think that may be an issue between the cable box and sound bar as it seems the splash screen that shows up on the TV instead during these periods comes from the sound bar. No consistent way to reproduce it, so for now I'm just waiting until Comcast releases their wireless 4k box for general consumption and maybe that will work better than the non-4k wireless box. I gather that even though my Xbox One S is capable of outputting DV that the 940 is not capable of receiving that still? DV is the one thing I don't believe I've tested so far since I haven't upgraded my Netflix subscription, and I'm not sure I have access to DV content through Amazon or other apps instead. I am annoyed that there doesn't seem to be a way to get 4k streaming through the built in Amazon app with the limitations of the onboard wifi, it works fine from my Xbox One but never ramps up to 4k on the built in app. Anyway, other than that, I'm mostly just hoping I don't end up exhibiting any of the more extreme issues that others have reported...
post #8347 of 8463 Old 01-01-2019, 06:51 AM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Is there a list of tv mounts for this model?
post #8348 of 8463 Old 01-01-2019, 07:40 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardPryor View Post
Is there a list of tv mounts for this model?
I used the same mount i had for my 65 inch tv that i had before. Nothing special just one that handles the weight and the bolt pattern.

post #8349 of 8463 Old 01-01-2019, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodore_dude View Post
Wow, quite a job to read through this entire thread over the last few weeks! I bought my 940E right before Thanksgiving, had the chance to get the 900F for the same price but it seemed like a no brainer for picture quality since I'm not a twitch gamer. Geek Squad mounted it, and I'm definitely not sure that they did things properly with the right screws, washers etc, but so far so good. I have seen some dark corners, DSE on splash screens, etc, but I have no complaints about the picture when watching content for sure! I am seeing some judder on news/sports tickers, not sure if there's a magic bullet to fix that. I started from the RTings settings and tweaked from there. I have not been prompted for the Oreo update, not going to go out of my way to install it via USB. I also picked up an HT-ST5000 at the same time, and am running all devices through that rather than using ARC to ensure I get the best Atmos possible. I've had a couple of occasions where the picture (but not sound) is lost from my cable box, but I think that may be an issue between the cable box and sound bar as it seems the splash screen that shows up on the TV instead during these periods comes from the sound bar. No consistent way to reproduce it, so for now I'm just waiting until Comcast releases their wireless 4k box for general consumption and maybe that will work better than the non-4k wireless box. I gather that even though my Xbox One S is capable of outputting DV that the 940 is not capable of receiving that still? DV is the one thing I don't believe I've tested so far since I haven't upgraded my Netflix subscription, and I'm not sure I have access to DV content through Amazon or other apps instead. I am annoyed that there doesn't seem to be a way to get 4k streaming through the built in Amazon app with the limitations of the onboard wifi, it works fine from my Xbox One but never ramps up to 4k on the built in app. Anyway, other than that, I'm mostly just hoping I don't end up exhibiting any of the more extreme issues that others have reported...
dv update was released prior to the oreo release. My 940 supports it and it works great with my sony 700 player

Last edited by drjfjr; 01-01-2019 at 09:12 AM. Reason: mispelling
post #8350 of 8463 Old 01-01-2019, 09:02 AM

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardBEL View Post
Does Dolby vision work from the Apple TV through a Yamaha receiver to the 940E? The receiver hdmi through has been changed already and My current Samsung tv is recognized as hdr device by the Apple TV, but I wonder if it will recognize Dolby vision in this setup with the Sony?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan201 View Post
Just guessing, but to pass DV I'm sure it will need to be enabled in the Apple TV 4k if not already, the receiver HDMI/video settings should be set to "enhanced" mode or something of the sort to allow for the wider bandwidth (could just be a specific hdmi input to go into on the back of the receiver), and the output HDMI from the receiver should be going into input number 2 or 3 only on the 940E (#3 has ARC support). You have to go into the HDMI settings of the 940E and set input 2 and 3 to "enhanced mode" also.
You actually want to test if DV will work but not select it as the output mode for Apple TV. As long as you have the receiver set to pass through & your TV / HDMI cables will accept it, you’ll want to set 4K SDR with both Match Dynamic Range & Match Frame Rate to ON. If you set to DV, it will force everything into DV, and if set to HDR it forces everything to HDR. AT 4K SDR with content matching, it will auto switch according to the content.

Sony 75X940E - NAD T587v3 - Outlaw 2200 monoblocks - Dynaudio Excite X14 + Emit M10 - Rythmik L12
post #8351 of 8463 Old 01-01-2019, 09:49 AM

Will this one work? Sanus doesn't have it listed as compatible.
post #8352 of 8463 Old 01-01-2019, 09:50 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrabRangoon View Post
You actually want to test if DV will work but not select it as the output mode for Apple TV. As long as you have the receiver set to pass through & your TV / HDMI cables will accept it, you’ll want to set 4K SDR with both Match Dynamic Range & Match Frame Rate to ON. If you set to DV, it will force everything into DV, and if set to HDR it forces everything to HDR. AT 4K SDR with content matching, it will auto switch according to the content.
Thats something awesome the Shield doesn't have. I wish the Shield would switch between 1080p 60hz 8bit Rec 709 4:4:4 and 4k 60hz 12 bit Rec 2020 4:2:2.
I have to go into the settings in the Shield all the time and manually switch it to match the content I'm watching. I'm starting to think I should just leave it on the recommended 4k output settings and forget it because the 1080 stuff looks great even with the Shield set to 4k 60hz 12 bit Rec 2020 4:2:2.
audiofan1 and Cam1977 like this.

CURRENT SETUP:
Sony X940E / Denon AVR-S730h /
NVIDIA SHIELD TV 2017 / PANASONIC UB820 UHD PLAYER / MAudio BX8a front mains / Klipsch R‑15PM rear left/right / Emotiva C1 center / Polk Audio OWM3 height left/right.
post #8353 of 8463 Old 01-01-2019, 09:52 AM

This one is cheaper and appears to do the same as the other.
post #8354 of 8463 Old 01-01-2019, 10:48 AM

Last night I figured out that Custom mode allows for a ton more brightness than cinema pro mode for HDR content with the settings identical. Feels like a totally new tv especially during the day. I'm using Infinity War 4k disc through my UB820 player to confirm.
I found that for the most brightness I have to have custom mode configured with
Brightness - Max > Contrast 95+ > Contrast enhancer - High > Local dimming - High > Dynamic Range Enhancer - High > Live Color - High. My black level is 48 and black adjust is on low. Gamma at -2. Looking really impressive.

CURRENT SETUP:
NVIDIA SHIELD TV 2017 / PANASONIC UB820 UHD PLAYER / MAudio BX8a front mains / Klipsch R‑15PM rear left/right / Emotiva C1 center / Polk Audio OWM3 height left/right.

Last edited by Evan201; 01-01-2019 at 11:22 AM.
post #8355 of 8463 Old 01-01-2019, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrabRangoon View Post
That is great to know. The “enable HDR” option when the tv is discovered as hdr panel is a bit confusing as to me it implies that you need to enable it manually. Changed that now, but I can’t really test it as still awaiting my 940E. On my current Samsung hdr looks horrible so I don’t even want to try. Thanks for the tip!!
CrabRangoon likes this.
post #8356 of 8463 Old 01-01-2019, 11:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2221 Post(s)
Liked: 2628
Quote:
Last night I figured out that Custom mode allows for a ton more brightness than cinema pro mode for HDR content. Feels like a totally new tv especially during the day.
Yup! different tone mapping! I believe you can get away with a contrast max of 95 with no blooming, If not mistaken it handles content mastered at 4000 nits better but I could have it backwards here. if you over at the Z9D calibration thread user 10k tested this
post #8357 of 8463 Old 01-01-2019, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post
Yup! different tone mapping! I believe you can get away with a contrast max of 95 with no blooming, If not mistaken it handles content mastered at 4000 nits better but I could have it backwards here. if you over at the Z9D calibration thread user 10k tested this
Awesome. Having the UB820 with the 940E is really nice because the HDR optimizer keeps those specular highlights maxed at 1000 without dimming the rest of the image. Really love this revelation.
srkmish and Cam1977 like this.

CURRENT SETUP:
post #8358 of 8463 Old 01-01-2019, 01:33 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 126
I just updated via USB stick to the latest firmware found here: http://www.sony.com/electronics/sup...loads/00015669

Not sure if it's just my particular settings and/or if maybe a factory data reset is in order but every time the TV reboots the "digital audio out volume" resets to 0. I have an old school AVR that lacks HDMI inputs so I use the optical cable out. When running audio output via optical if this volume setting is 0 I get no sound and then have to go in the menu and set it to 90 which is what I normally keep it on. Anyone else having this issue?

Also, I do now get the occasional random reboot. It's not frequent but rarely if ever happened on previous firmware versions. Anyone else noticing this?
post #8359 of 8463 Old 01-01-2019, 01:39 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Anyone running an IR blaster? I really love the voice control of the Sony remote and aside from some oddball Chinese "air mouse" remotes I can't seem to find any mainstream universal remotes that have voice input compatible with our TV.

Being that my old school AVR lacks HDMI I do need an IR remote to control it's volume. I bought the IR blaster and can successfully get it to work when I set it up and run the "test". When the setup wizard runs the test the volume does go up on my AVR.

However once I'm done with the setup the Sony remote will not adjust the AVR volume. I have the sound set on audio system and the audio out is set to headphones per this troublehsooting Faq: http://www.sony.com/electronics/sup...icles/00180269

anyone else run into this and have any suggestions.

Based on this and the issue I posted right before this one I'm thinking a factory data reset may be in order but I'd prefer to avoid having to then go through re-inputting settings, re-downloading apps, inputting passwords, etc.
post #8360 of 8463 Old 01-01-2019, 01:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Last night I figured out that Custom mode allows for a ton more brightness than cinema pro mode for HDR content with the settings identical. Feels like a totally new tv especially during the day. I'm using Infinity War 4k disc through my UB820 player to confirm.
Brightness - Max > Contrast 95+ > Contrast enhancer - High > Local dimming - High > Dynamic Range Enhancer - High > Live Color - High. My black level is 48 and black adjust is on low. Gamma at -2. Looking really impressive.
I've used Custom since day 1 for me for both SDR/HDR and really like it!
post #8361 of 8463 Old 01-01-2019, 02:30 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfish234 View Post
Anyone running an IR blaster? I really love the voice control of the Sony remote and aside from some oddball Chinese "air mouse" remotes I can't seem to find any mainstream universal remotes that have voice input compatible with our TV.

Being that my old school AVR lacks HDMI I do need an IR remote to control it's volume. I bought the IR blaster and can successfully get it to work when I set it up and run the "test". When the setup wizard runs the test the volume does go up on my AVR.

However once I'm done with the setup the Sony remote will not adjust the AVR volume. I have the sound set on audio system and the audio out is set to headphones per this troublehsooting Faq: http://www.sony.com/electronics/sup...icles/00180269

anyone else run into this and have any suggestions.

Based on this and the issue I posted right before this one I'm thinking a factory data reset may be in order but I'd prefer to avoid having to then go through re-inputting settings, re-downloading apps, inputting passwords, etc.
Did you have any trouble setting up voice control? I have tried SEVERAL times, followed manual directions and even from the Sony support online service but I keep getting the "Try again later" popup.

SONY XBR 75X940e
SONY XBR 55HX950
SONY KDL-46HX850
SONY UBP-X700
post #8362 of 8463 Old 01-01-2019, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam1977 View Post
I've used Custom since day 1 for me for both SDR/HDR and really like it!
What changes do you make when switching from HDR back to SDR in the one custom mode setting? Or do you just keep everything the same?

CURRENT SETUP:
post #8363 of 8463 Old 01-01-2019, 03:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

^I set it and forget it!
post #8364 of 8463 Old 01-01-2019, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam1977 View Post
^I set it and forget it!
Gotchya. I like to max out some processing for HDR stuff so I'll have to use custom to take advantage of that brightness for HDR/DV and then switch to Cinema Pro/Home for all SDR.
Cam1977 likes this.

CURRENT SETUP:
post #8365 of 8463 Old 01-01-2019, 04:12 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjfjr View Post
dv update was released prior to the oreo release. My 940 supports it and it works great with my sony 700 player
I thought the 940 has a "special" version of DV that not every DV device supports? Has that been fixed to support the normal version?
post #8366 of 8463 Old 01-01-2019, 05:48 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Ski View Post
I financed it through a store card. So, if you don't purchase their warranty you are out of luck. Going to use my Visa next time for major purchases like this. The ding is new.
If the ding is new I wouldn't expect them to cover it.

If you own a home there is a possibility that it may be covered through your homeowners insurance policy.
post #8367 of 8463 Old 01-01-2019, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodore_dude View Post
I thought the 940 has a "special" version of DV that not every DV device supports? Has that been fixed to support the normal version?
That is correct it currently requires compatable devices to decode the DV.

With DV verses HDR10 verses hdr10+ you have to pick what you want to have support for and what devices work together. I do not believe all of them will survive. I picked the TV first then the blue-ray player to meet the what i thought would give the best PQ for what is out right now and has media i can watch and utilize with my system. It might be a special DV algorithm but iit meets the current DV requirements. Future proof? who knows. I was trying to future proof but almost missed that boat with the Denon WA7200. Denon provided firmware upgrades to allow the DV and HDR to pass through even though they were not going to at one point. The 940E does have DV support and i am using it and it does what it is suppose to do with the devices compatible with it.

post #8368 of 8463 Old 01-02-2019, 12:48 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Darn TV started turning on by itself randomly. Twice now in the middle of the night. Read some reports of this. I think it may have done the Oreo update last night and that's possibly why the TV turned on. Oddly, I reset the TV a few days ago and specifically turned off the auto update feature and somehow when I looked again, the TV was updated and the off button was switched to "on". wth?
post #8369 of 8463 Old 01-02-2019, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzinckgra View Post
Darn TV started turning on by itself randomly. Twice now in the middle of the night. Read some reports of this. I think it may have done the Oreo update last night and that's possibly why the TV turned on. Oddly, I reset the TV a few days ago and specifically turned off the auto update feature and somehow when I looked again, the TV was updated and the off button was switched to "on". wth?
Thats odd. This literally just happened to me last night as well. Woke up in the middle of the night to find the TV and receiver on after I know I had turned everything off. Was going to throw up a post about it today as well.

CURRENT SETUP:
post #8370 of 8463 Old 01-02-2019, 01:12 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:

What motion settings are you using with that please?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
signal loss