Forum Jump: 
 12507Likes

post #19921 of 19949 Old 10-12-2018, 08:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
player that displays subtitles when fast forwarding?

There are some several year old threads that list a few players dvd & blu ray that do this. I have an old panasonic 5 disc player that my favorite feature is still showing subtitles during slow (2x) fast forwarding. It enables me to get past slow/boring parts without missing important story elements. This feature never seems to be mentioned in specs but I know from these threads that other people like it too.

So does anyone know of reasonably current models (buying new, not 10 years old) of under $200 price range, that display subtitles (or even play audio) when fast forwarding? My 12 year old player is getting flakey, has trouble reading discs sometimes (all the dirty and scratched library & netflix discs I watch probably contributing factor too) and I don't want to lose a frequently used feature (2X subtitles) in its replacement.

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19922 of 19949 Old 10-31-2018, 07:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Best DVD/Blue Ray player for $250 US

Hi folks,

Don't know why I'm finding this so hard to research but looking for your input on your favourite budget BlueRay player. I'm looking to spend around $325-350 Canadian or $250ish US. I'd prefer to buy via BestBuy Canada on the upcoming Black Friday or Cyber Monday sale, but will also look into Amazon.ca or other vendors. BB Canada primarily sells Sony, Sammy, LG and Philips but also sells a few Pannys as well. There seem to be limited reviews available and those that are available are all over the map. If it's to be believed, about 2/3s of Sonys die 6-8 months in, and reviews on Samsungs are mixed as well. If any of you have experience with a current gen BlueRay from one of these manufacturers or any other you can recommend, please let me know. Here are a few things that I'm looking for:
  • Ability to stream Netflix and other streaming services to a roughly 6 year old first gen Sony Smart TV
  • WiFi capable
  • Ability to play DVDs and CDs (DVDs a must, CDs strongly desired)
  • Ability to upscale to 4K (I play to replace the existing Sony 1080P with a 4K panel in the new year)
  • Something that is compatible with my new Marantz SR6012 receiver
Another option that I'd be willing to consider is buying a new Sony Playstation 4 - I know its more money, but I planned to buy one anyway at some point - if there is a Playstation model that meets the above requirements, let me know. The only issue is that I'm not sure if the Playstation will upscale or play DVDs - if you have any insight on this, please let me know.
post #19923 of 19949 Old 11-01-2018, 07:40 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 4753 Post(s)
Liked: 2799
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskokaman70 View Post
Hi folks,

Don't know why I'm finding this so hard to research but looking for your input on your favourite budget BlueRay player. I'm looking to spend around $325-350 Canadian or $250ish US. I'd prefer to buy via BestBuy Canada on the upcoming Black Friday or Cyber Monday sale, but will also look into Amazon.ca or other vendors. BB Canada primarily sells Sony, Sammy, LG and Philips but also sells a few Pannys as well. There seem to be limited reviews available and those that are available are all over the map. If it's to be believed, about 2/3s of Sonys die 6-8 months in, and reviews on Samsungs are mixed as well. If any of you have experience with a current gen BlueRay from one of these manufacturers or any other you can recommend, please let me know. Here are a few things that I'm looking for:
  • Ability to stream Netflix and other streaming services to a roughly 6 year old first gen Sony Smart TV
  • WiFi capable
  • Ability to play DVDs and CDs (DVDs a must, CDs strongly desired)
  • Ability to upscale to 4K (I play to replace the existing Sony 1080P with a 4K panel in the new year)
  • Something that is compatible with my new Marantz SR6012 receiver
Another option that I'd be willing to consider is buying a new Sony Playstation 4 - I know its more money, but I planned to buy one anyway at some point - if there is a Playstation model that meets the above requirements, let me know. The only issue is that I'm not sure if the Playstation will upscale or play DVDs - if you have any insight on this, please let me know.
Your stated desires all are implemented in Sony's BDP-S6700 Blu-ray player, which is available for much less than the amount you've budgeted. There currently is a big gap in new-in-box pricing between the 1080p BDPs (usually less than $100 US) and current model UDP players (usually more than $250 US) although some discontinued UDPs are in your price range.
aaronwt likes this.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19924 of 19949 Old 11-15-2018, 08:24 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
slim bluray player to fit behind wall mount tv

I have a wall mount 4k tv that has about 1.5-2" clearance from the wall.
and I want to mount a bluray player behind the tv so its not visible to keep everything clean.
but Im having hard time finding one that fits .

and im also wondering if there is a usb bluray drive that I can use instead of an actual bd player
post #19925 of 19949 Old 11-16-2018, 06:10 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzysig View Post
I have a wall mount 4k tv that has about 1.5-2" clearance from the wall.
and I want to mount a bluray player behind the tv so its not visible to keep everything clean.
but Im having hard time finding one that fits .
First, I would recommend a UHD player since you have a 4k display. Check out the UHD player thread.
Second, it seems like it would be pretty inconvenient loading and unloading a disc in a player mounted behind your display. I would recommend instead that you place the player on a shelf and run the wires in the wall for the uncluttered view you are looking for.
post #19926 of 19949 Old 11-16-2018, 09:37 AM

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Hi guys!

Looking for a region free blu-ray player. Any suggestions? $150 or below.
Would prefer it is simply a plug and play player as opposed to doing various things prior to making region B discs work. should be able to output 7.1. Thank you!

Thanks!

[Home Theater] LINK
[Music Room] Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 40 Floorstanders | Receiver: Peachtree Audio Nova220SE

Last edited by Cyberathlete; 11-16-2018 at 09:45 AM.
post #19927 of 19949 Old 11-16-2018, 10:11 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Question Good player for 1080p60 AVCHD?

Hey guys,
I'm looking for a Blu-Ray player that can play 1080p 60fps 28mb/s .MTS video off of an external hard drive. I am currently looking at the Sony BDP-S6700. Is this good enough for my purposes?
post #19928 of 19949 Old 11-17-2018, 07:42 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP View Post
First, I would recommend a UHD player since you have a 4k display. Check out the UHD player thread.
Second, it seems like it would be pretty inconvenient loading and unloading a disc in a player mounted behind your display. I would recommend instead that you place the player on a shelf and run the wires in the wall for the uncluttered view you are looking for.

there is no shelf
tv is the only thing on the wall and i want to keep it simplistic
i thought blu-ray players was same thing as uhd
post #19929 of 19949 Old 11-18-2018, 07:50 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzysig View Post
there is no shelf
tv is the only thing on the wall and i want to keep it simplistic
i thought blu-ray players was same thing as uhd
Sorry, but I just don't see how it is going to work - having your player mounted behind a wall-mounted display.
No, your terminology is incorrect. A BluRay player generally refers to a 1080p player, and will play 1080p BluRay discs but not 4k discs. Some will upscale a 1080p disc to output 4k resolution to a 4k display, but again, they will not play a 4k disc. A UHD player is a 4k player that will play both 1080p BluRay discs and 4k discs. This sticky thread is for 1080p BluRay players. There is a separate sticky thread for looking for an UHD player. Hope this helps.
post #19930 of 19949 Old 11-25-2018, 05:56 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Any players have multi-channel analog out anymore?

My old Samsung had 7.1 Analog out and it sounded awesome with my Denon AVR-3805. It broke, and now I have a low end Samsung which downsamples the HD Audio to DTS which is better than just playing the low bit rate Dolby Digital stream, but I’d love to have the full quality audio back.

With Oppo dead I can’t find any players on the market that have this feature anymore. Am I missing one?

Joel
post #19931 of 19949 Old 11-25-2018, 06:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 355
I don't know of any. The inputs are all but extinct on Receivers, too.

I do find it surprising that your Blu-ray player doesn't bitstream HD audio over HDMI though.
post #19932 of 19949 Old 11-25-2018, 07:10 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osirus23 View Post
I don't know of any. The inputs are all but extinct on Receivers, too.

I do find it surprising that your Blu-ray player doesn't bitstream HD audio over HDMI though.
It does, but my AVR is very nice but has no HDMI inputs. Toslink and Coax can’t handle the higher but rate streams and my AVR couldn’t decode them anyway.

Frustrating these have disappeared.

Joel
post #19933 of 19949 Old 11-26-2018, 06:15 AM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I think Panasonic has analogue outputs.
Based on memory of online pictures on forums

http://www.panasonic.com/ca/consume.../dp-ub820.html

Last edited by IIDexII; 11-27-2018 at 06:02 AM.
post #19934 of 19949 Old 11-26-2018, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplerain View Post
Looking for a new 4K blu-ray player....all my equipment is in my sig below. Was looking at the M9500. All I want it for is blu-ray and 4K (in time)
Please consult the 4K UHD player thread at http://afterconvert.com/forum/149-b...er-thread.html

This thread is for non-4K Blu-ray players.

Selden

post #19935 of 19949 Old 11-30-2018, 03:33 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 8427 Post(s)
Liked: 5319
Quote:
Originally Posted by mythrenegade View Post
It does, but my AVR is very nice but has no HDMI inputs. Toslink and Coax can’t handle the higher but rate streams and my AVR couldn’t decode them anyway.

Frustrating these have disappeared.

Joel
And I wish they disappeared twelve years ago.

53TB unRAID2--45TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #19936 of 19949 Old 12-19-2018, 11:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Good upscaling player for $250 or less

Hey all,

I am looking for recommendations on a new Bluray player with good DVD upscaling (I have a large collection of TV series on DVD which will never likely see a Bluray release, so good upscaling is a must). I am currently using a PS3 as my DVD/Bluray player, but am going to move it into the bedroom so I can watch Blurays in there. For it's time, the PS3 was a decent DVD upscaler, but not perfect by any means (for example, from time to time, it seems to have issues with de-interlacing, as I can see interlacing artifacts whenever there is a jump-cut). The PS3 came out in 2006, and DVD upscaling was added in 2007, so I am sure there must be better upscaling players out now.

I had my eye on the Panasonic DMP-UB400, as I have read that it upscales pretty well, but it seems overkill for my needs, as I only have a 1080p display. What gives me pause is that it might upscale Blurays well, but DVD upscaling might be an afterthought and will be average (After all, no one really cares about DVDs anymore).

I was also looking at a more practical option in the Sony BDPS1700, but I worry that upscaling will not be any better than the PS3 (or worse, not as good).

I would appreciate any recommendations,

Thanks.
post #19937 of 19949 Old 12-20-2018, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroFear View Post
Hey all,

I am looking for recommendations on a new Bluray player with good DVD upscaling (I have a large collection of TV series on DVD which will never likely see a Bluray release, so good upscaling is a must). I am currently using a PS3 as my DVD/Bluray player, but am going to move it into the bedroom so I can watch Blurays in there. For it's time, the PS3 was a decent DVD upscaler, but not perfect by any means (for example, from time to time, it seems to have issues with de-interlacing, as I can see interlacing artifacts whenever there is a jump-cut). The PS3 came out in 2006, and DVD upscaling was added in 2007, so I am sure there must be better upscaling players out now.

I had my eye on the Panasonic DMP-UB400, as I have read that it upscales pretty well, but it seems overkill for my needs, as I only have a 1080p display. What gives me pause is that it might upscale Blurays well, but DVD upscaling might be an afterthought and will be average (After all, no one really cares about DVDs anymore).

I was also looking at a more practical option in the Sony BDPS1700, but I worry that upscaling will not be any better than the PS3 (or worse, not as good).

I would appreciate any recommendations,

Thanks.
Personally, I've found various models of Sony's Blu-ray players to upscale reasonably well.

You also can try your TV's builtin upscaler by sending it a signal that hasn't already been upscaled to 1080p. Any input video signal which does not match a TV's native resolution has to be upscaled.

Selden

post #19938 of 19949 Old 12-28-2018, 05:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
Personally, I've found various models of Sony's Blu-ray players to upscale reasonably well.

You also can try your TV's builtin upscaler by sending it a signal that hasn't already been upscaled to 1080p. Any input video signal which does not match a TV's native resolution has to be upscaled.

I went ahead and got the Sony, as I was able to get one for free with my Reward Points.

It arrived today, and I honestly wasn't expecting much. I thought it would look about the same as the PS3. I am pleasantly surprised to see a marked improvement!

I tested out my 1959 Twilight Zone DVD, as they are sourced from film and should show how capable it is at upscaling when it is fed good material. Well, it looks great with lots of detail (looks like an ok Bluray). I took some photos with my phone, which I am sure is not a very scientific or accurate way of going about it, as what I was seeing is better than the detail and color captured in the photo.

I then tested my 1980's Twilight Zone, which is not a very good source at all. These were filmed then edited on video, so they only had the video available for transfer. These never looked that good, but the Sony BDP1700 seemed to make them much more tolerable (I wasn't expecting miracles here).

Lastly I tried my Tales From The Crypt DVDs, which were giving my PS3 fits with de-interlacing (photo attached). I think the 1700 is a little more quick in locking in between film and video mode (or whatever was causing this issue) between the jump-cuts, as I can't really notice any interlacing artifacts even if I go frame by frame. I also noticed the picture was quite improved compared to when I watched it on the PS3.

Overall, I'd say I am pretty happy with the 1700's upscaling capabilities.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PS3Deinterlacing.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	1.90 MB
ID:	2502176   Click image for larger version

Name:	TwilightZoneBDP1700.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	927.8 KB
ID:	2502178  
post #19939 of 19949 Old 01-03-2019, 12:05 PM

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 5862 Post(s)
Liked: 4970
Hey guys,

I'm looking to pick up a blu ray player (1080p) for my mother-in-law. She's 72 and technologically challenged, so it has to be dead easy to run.

My only requirements are that it play DVDs (originals and burns) and will do Netflix over wi-fi. Cheaper is better.

Thanks in advance!
post #19940 of 19949 Old 01-03-2019, 01:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1004 Post(s)
Liked: 1734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
Hey guys,

I'm looking to pick up a blu ray player (1080p) for my mother-in-law. She's 72 and technologically challenged, so it has to be dead easy to run.

My only requirements are that it play DVDs (originals and burns) and will do Netflix over wi-fi. Cheaper is better.

Thanks in advance!
I'd recommend the Sony S6700 . There are less expensive ones, but all 1080p models will be older.
Alan P likes this.
post #19941 of 19949 Old 01-03-2019, 01:14 PM

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2829 Post(s)
Liked: 1252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
Hey guys,

Thanks in advance!
IMO, you can't beat this Sony 6700 starting at $55 used on Amazon and eBay. Couple of years old, but top o' the line with wifi and tons of apps. Has played everything I've thrown at it. Don't let the reviews scare you. All those issues got worked out in later firmwares.

Maybe not dead easy, but probably as easy as it gets for bluray players.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-BDPS6700.../dp/B01BTTHXZU
Alan P likes this.
post #19942 of 19949 Old 01-03-2019, 03:11 PM

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 5862 Post(s)
Liked: 4970
Thanks Guys! I pulled the trigger on the 6700, refurb for $67. Should do the trick nicely!
post #19943 of 19949 Old 01-04-2019, 10:36 AM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Ever tried the Sony upscale dvd to 1080p and 720p?

My old Denon seems to do this better.

Going to have a small 1080p tv in the kids room. Maybe I put the Denon there.
post #19944 of 19949 Old 01-08-2019, 06:22 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
looking for basic 4k blueray

just bought a sony x900f and need to replace my blu-ray player to 4k. have no interest in a swiss army knife player. just want a basic player that does a great job at delivering an excellent 4k image and a great up converter for my existing library of hd blu-ray discs. not interested in apps or streaming etc. i dont watch dvds all that much so i don’t want to spend any more then i have to. my priorities are an excellent basic performer without all the bells and whistles at an affordable price. suggestions welcome.
post #19945 of 19949 Old 01-08-2019, 06:29 PM

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2829 Post(s)
Liked: 1252
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmorse22 View Post
just bought a sony x900f and need to replace my blu-ray player to 4k.
Wrong thread. We only do standard 1080p blu-ray players here. Good luck with your search.
post #19946 of 19949 Old 01-08-2019, 07:59 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Wrong thread. We only do standard 1080p blu-ray players here. Good luck with your search.
sorry about that. new to this forum and still finding my way around.
post #19947 of 19949 Old 01-09-2019, 09:37 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 8427 Post(s)
Liked: 5319
Quote:
just bought a sony x900f and need to replace my blu-ray player to 4k. have no interest in a swiss army knife player. just want a basic player that does a great job at delivering an excellent 4k image and a great up converter for my existing library of hd blu-ray discs. not interested in apps or streaming etc. i dont watch dvds all that much so i don’t want to spend any more then i have to. my priorities are an excellent basic performer without all the bells and whistles at an affordable price. suggestions welcome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Quote:
sorry about that. new to this forum and still finding my way around.
Here is the thread for a UHD BD player.

http://afterconvert.com/forum/149-b...er-thread.html

53TB unRAID2--45TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #19948 of 19949 Old 01-12-2019, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone Recommend BR-Player That Can Set Multiple Bookmarks & Save on Multiple BR/DVD?

Does anyone know of a quality blu-ray player where one can create and save multiple bookmarks on both dvd movies and blu-ray movies? And the player will remember all of your bookmarks on all of your discs?

Thanks.
post #19949 of 19949 Old 01-16-2019, 07:44 AM

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Reco for BDP with top-notch standard BD/DVD playback plus streaming features

Looking for recos for a new BDP with top-notch standard BD and DVD playback plus Netflix, Amazon Video, YouTube, Spotify Connect, and DLNA for FLAC files.

This system is limited to 1080P (JVC DLA-HD250 projector and Outlaw 975 pre-pro).

I recently tried the Sony X700 and X800 and both produce zero audio when the projector is on (HDMI handshake/version issue?). When the projector is off, the audio works.

I returned the X700 and X800 and got a Sony 6700, which functions properly for audio, just as my previous players did. The 6700 also has the other features listed above.

So the question is whether there is a unit out there with superior BD and DVD playback vs. the Sony 6700, while retaining the other features listed above.

I’d be willing to try another 4K player from a brand other than Sony, given the audio issues I had with the X700 and X800.

Thanks.

5.1 and 2.0 ch: Outlaw 975/Emotiva DC-1/Rotel RB-1582 MKII/Rotel RB-1552/Audiosource Amp 3/Polk LS90, CS400i, FX500i/Outlaw X-12, LFM-1/JVD DLA-HD250/Da-Lite 100" HCCV/Sony ES BDP/Sonos Connect. DC-1/RB-1582 MKII/Sonos Connect also feed Polk 7C in garage and Dayton IO655 on patio. 2.1 ch: Denon AVR-2807/Klipsch Forte I or NHT SB2/JBL SUB 550P x 2. 2.0 ch: Rotel RX-1052/Emotiva DC-1/Klipsch RF-7 III/Sony ES BDP/LG 65" LED. 2.0 ch: Klipsch Powergate/NHT SB3. Kitchen: Sonos Play5.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
1080p , bd-30 , Blu Ray Players , blu-ray , blu-ray 3d , blu-ray dvd hardware player mp4 usb playback , blu-ray players , bluray player , control , counter , Dts , dvd player , dvd-a , flac , hdmi input , Lg Bd 390 Network Blu Ray Disc Player , lg blu ray , mkv , multichannel analog , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Panasonic , philips blu ray , Pioneer Elite Bdp 62fd , Pioneer Pdp 5080 Hd , Plasma Hdtv , player , quality , S390 , sacd , samsung bd f7500 , samsung blu ray , samsung uhd , slow , smart , Sony Bdp S5100 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi , sony bdp-s6200 , Sony Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S790 , subtitle sizes , Toshiba , usb , video quality , wifi , zoom