13Likes

post #1 of 40 Old 01-04-2019, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1716 Post(s)
Liked: 1158
Official Panasonic UB9000 Owner's thread

I have been an owner of this fine player for a few weeks and been looking for other owners to share insights on, noting all we seem to have is an anticipation thread, for some reason we dont have an official owners thread as yet ? (mods if there is one please feel free to merge with that) so in that vein creating this thread here. I realise the responsibility as an OP of an owners thread, will endeavour to keep updated with any info people feel important, just please pm me to advise and happy to update this thread 1st opening post with anything you feel as relevant to owners.

firstly some box and opening shots,

what comes in the box,

remote looks like the same from the UB900 ?

slick looking unit.... very heavy ! and very well made !

bristling with connectivity !

In the system, note it has side shifted a oppo 205 which I still have and will keep, just relocated to the 2ch side of the system, however leaving a hdmi link in place so I can still do side by side comparisons between both players.

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Welcome to my lounge room :)

Last edited by alebonau; 01-04-2019 at 06:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 01-04-2019, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

some early comments, and comparatively with the oppo 205...

not that have had extensive use as yet. just setting up, doing the harmony and checking on a few movies.

comes upto date out of box
It seems to be upto date firmware out of box... which is a rarity these days ... most things you plug in and first thing wants to do is an update.

user interface
the user interface, after using an oppo for some while now, seems quite simplistic by comparison. I am a prior pana 900 owner. but really the screens on the pana look like they were done on DOS vs windows on the oppo. the pana also seems a tad slower to respond ? am I imagining that ?

settings
there was nothing I needed to do with the out of box pana settings. and I went through all. all seems fine made sure it was bit streaming, no dynamic compression engaged.

I noticed as was with the pana 900 that 4k 50/60 is turned off... I didnt turn it on by default ... though might re think that.

Apps
good to see the app page fully populated with netflix and prime and likes.... when I had the 900 it was bare bones... just like the oppo. didnt try the streaming apps and unlikely i will as happy with the atv 4k for that.

Loading loading
when pop the disc tray open it is s..l..o..w to open and a bit growny... the oppo is a lot more snappy... however the disc draw omn the pana feels more solidly made and has a rubbery feel on the disc contact surface. the oppo is just thin plain plastic by comparison.

the buttons on the pana player like on the oppo are not illuminated...pity...however buttons on the pana are logically placed once figure out what each one is ... the display is simple nothing much bar a play time display

Remote
I miss the touch sensitive oppo remote straight away as that shakes and lights up if you pick up to use. the remote of the pana does feel and look a lot better though. there are parts of the pana remote that are cryptic....

I am still trying to figure out the difference between pop up menu and menu. there is also a top menu and then there's home...

harmony fortunately had the ub9000 in its data base. but I had to teach it the subtitle button, not sure why its not there ?

Selected Top menu, audio, Subtitle, Pop up menu, eject, home, setting, playback info, along with status, and operation menu. along with your standard playing and navigation buttons. sufficient I think to put pana remote away never to be seen again

Testing material
In use I tested across dvd, blu-ray and uhd blu-ray. my standard discs of morcheeba brixton concert on dvd, mr and mrs smith blu-ray and for uhd blu-ray I used the shallows and also blade runner 2049

morcheeba dvd ... all worked just fine. the audio button worked to select dolby digital track which is not default. I think i'll need to compare DVD PQ with the oppo as I have an inclination the oppo does a better job on dvd still audio picture all was just fine. very happy to hear this again, was a treat with upsampling to dolby surround
I am confused between the pop up menu, top menu though, sort of a bit hit miss at bringing up disc menu, ended up using the operation menu to go to disc menu. operation menu seems quite elaborate.

mr and mrs smith bluray - looks gorgeous, very natural, the reminiscing scene isnt too over the top ! which is great... means for blu-ray its colour balance etc is not too far from the oppo. pop up menu seems to bring up disc menu which is good. status button shows basic disc info, what upto in chapter and time elapsed etc. playback info shows more elaborate info bit rates and such. setting seems to bring up the settings menu. audio too on this disc is striking and through the pana it didnt disappoint. I did notice a "high clarity" sound engaged though... something i will have to explore.. what it means and implications.

as a note at one point i paused as got a phone call, when came back player had put itself off to sleep and there was a blank screen ie no signal. not sure how to change that will explore. but if I hit play on the player it seems to awake and take off as were it left off.

the shallows uhd blu-ray - the initial screens are by their nature a bit pumped (instagram style) but looks gorgeous... ie not over the top again indicating the colour balance is pretty good/similar vs oppo. but I tell you I think I need to do some direct side by sides vs the oppo in PQ here as it sure looks like packs a wallop. rich detailed. especially skin textures and such. also when she is on the beach the flouro colours of her costume and fins on the surf board really POP ! sound is also very impactful. its bee na while since seen this movie and will definitely have to compare with the oppo as looks terrific with the pana

next w up loaded up blade runner 2049 uhd blu-ray. great how kick off with the audio and looks stunning in later scenes and very natural skin tones etc in other scenes. very pleased pq wise and same with audio. ended up watching about 1/3rd in before was time for bed. look forward to watching the rest later I've seen the movie before but got taken in !

overall
few things ... I am not so sure I am a fan of the pop ups when hit play and such it puts up. not sure if there is a way to get rid of that or make more subtle. its a very quiet player. I feel a little slower in response to the oppo. but things will compare side by side when get the oppo up going again.

overall a great player in the evening have had with it look forward to more elaborate use and more experience in exploring !

Last edited by alebonau; 01-04-2019 at 07:07 PM.
post #3 of 40 Old 01-04-2019, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Reserved for important information updates or anything relevant for owners thats worth calling out
- please message me directly if you would like something - anything at all added to this post.

Basic Operating instructions
http://www.panasonic.com/content/da...-Australia.pdf

User manual
http://www.panasonic.com/content/da...-Australia.pdf

note these are from australia but if there are links to other countries needed happy to post - just pass me the link via a message,

Last edited by alebonau; 01-04-2019 at 07:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 Old 01-05-2019, 10:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Remote is slightly different that the UB900 remote. Lower buttons are where the difference is. What is the model number? (Stamped on the lower rear just below the battery door)

JVC X750R Projector, Yamaha RX-Z11 Receiver, Yamaha MX-D1 Power Amps x 2, Oppo BDP-103D Blu-Ray Player, Panasonic DP-UB820 UHD Player, Pioneer Elite CLD-99 Laser Disc Player, Definitive Technology BP7000SC Mains, CLR3000 Center, BPVX Surround Sides&Backs, BPX Front&Rear Presence, Martin Logan Abyss Front L&R Subs/Dynamo L&R Rear Surround Channel Subs, Infinity SSW-210 Center Channel Sub. New Atmos Pre-Pro in the Works.
post #5 of 40 Old 01-05-2019, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenC56 View Post
Remote is slightly different that the UB900 remote. Lower buttons are where the difference is. What is the model number? (Stamped on the lower rear just below the battery door)
am sure some difference Steven, with the ub9000 having tone mapping features and such can see the ub9000 remote below, its an IR6

do you have a ub900 remote handy to compare, or is it similar / same to the ub820s remote I wonder ?

I long sold my 900, but might have a picture of its remote so will go searching

post #6 of 40 Old 01-05-2019, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

haven't got photo of 900 remote anymore, but looking at 900 owner manual and comparing with the 9000s remote, best can see is a few change arounds of buttons and one inclusion

Miracast is replaced by Mirroring - makes sense
DLNA replaced by Setting
Sound effect shifted aside for HDR setting which is a new button
High clarity moved aside for Sound effect
3D setting replaced by High clarity

doubt DLNA is a major loss, will see if 3D setting is now accessible via menu or something

edit- had a peep 3D settings are now accessible via main menu hitting setup -> Player settings, and then there is a tab for 3D, looks all no different to ub900 in choices

Last edited by alebonau; 01-05-2019 at 02:39 PM.
post #7 of 40 Old 01-05-2019, 03:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alebonau View Post
haven't got photo of 900 remote anymore, but looking at 900 owner manual and comparing with the 9000s remote, best can see is a few change arounds of buttons and one inclusion

Miracast is replaced by Mirroring - makes sense
DLNA replaced by Setting
Sound effect shifted aside for HDR setting which is a new button
High clarity moved aside for Sound effect
3D setting replaced by High clarity

doubt DLNA is a major loss, will see if 3D setting is now accessible via menu or something

edit- had a peep 3D settings are now accessible via main menu hitting setup -> Player settings, and then there is a tab for 3D, looks all no different to ub900 in choices
IR6 is not the model number. That's printed on the front of both the UB900 and UB820 remotes as well. The model number is going to be stamped on the back just below the battery cover.

JVC X750R Projector, Yamaha RX-Z11 Receiver, Yamaha MX-D1 Power Amps x 2, Oppo BDP-103D Blu-Ray Player, Panasonic DP-UB820 UHD Player, Pioneer Elite CLD-99 Laser Disc Player, Definitive Technology BP7000SC Mains, CLR3000 Center, BPVX Surround Sides&Backs, BPX Front&Rear Presence, Martin Logan Abyss Front L&R Subs/Dynamo L&R Rear Surround Channel Subs, Infinity SSW-210 Center Channel Sub. New Atmos Pre-Pro in the Works.
post #8 of 40 Old 01-05-2019, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
IR6 is not the model number. That's printed on the front of both the UB900 and UB820 remotes as well. The model number is going to be stamped on the back just below the battery cover.
its N2QAYA000172 if that's of some relevance in anywise have pointed out the differences 900 vs 9000 remote wise, how do they compare with the 820 remote if have one

all that said the remote in my case has gone in the draw regardless as I have programmed the relevant and needed buttons in the harmony

if a 9000/900/820 owner have you found similar with trying to get to DVD menu or with certain blu-rays ? one dvd was impossible to get to main menu no matter what I tried. not totally clear the difference between pop up menu and top menu buttons

post #9 of 40 Old 01-05-2019, 04:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
its N2QAYA000172 if that's of some relevance in anywise have pointed out the differences 900 vs 9000 remote wise, how do they compare with the 820 remote if have one

all that said the remote in my case has gone in the draw regardless as I have programmed the relevant and needed buttons in the harmony

if a 9000/900/820 owner have you found similar with trying to get to DVD menu or with certain blu-rays ? one dvd was impossible to get to main menu no matter what I tried. not totally clear the difference between pop up menu and top menu buttons
Yes, that's the model/part number for the 9000 remote. The 820 comes with a smaller non illuminated remote. I wish it came with the nicer one like your 9000 has. I haven't tried any DVD's yet, but I have the same issues on my Oppo 103D that you are describing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail (2).jpg
Views:	36
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	2506378  
alebonau likes this.

post #10 of 40 Old 01-05-2019, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes, that's the model/part number for the 9000 remote. The 820 comes with a smaller non illuminated remote. I wish it came with the nicer one like your 9000 has. I haven't tried any DVD's yet, but I have the same issues on my Oppo 103D that you are describing.
thanks, good to hear the 9000 comes with a better remote I guess ? but not too dissimilar to the one that came with the 900

its funny, I watched the same dvd on oppo 205 and dont recall such hi-jinx ! trying to get the menu this is for instance with discs which have a mini series on it and you want to select and episode to watch. so just want to go back to the main menu to select.

I might fire up the oppo 205 and check the same disc to see what its behaviour is on it

post #11 of 40 Old 01-05-2019, 06:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
thanks, good to hear the 9000 comes with a better remote I guess ? but not too dissimilar to the one that came with the 900

its funny, I watched the same dvd on oppo 205 and dont recall such hi-jinx ! trying to get the menu this is for instance with discs which have a mini series on it and you want to select and episode to watch. so just want to go back to the main menu to select.

I might fire up the oppo 205 and check the same disc to see what its behaviour is on it
It would have been nice if they included the illuminated one for the 820, but then I suppose is was easier and less $ to include that with the 9000 and pair a cheaper one with the 820. I'll just keep an eye out for the one that's included with the 9000 to use on my 820.
alebonau likes this.

post #12 of 40 Old 01-06-2019, 12:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

There are a couple of things hoping can explore with other fellow owners, apart from the top menu vs pop up menu business discussing above,

would love to know if can change the front display ? can it display other things eg elapsed time ? I know can toggle onscreen in other ways. but rather just have on the discreet player display rather than using an onscreen display all the time.

also would love to understand more the High clarity sound aspect ... I note it even operates while playing UHDs ? not sure if anyone else has explored what it does and with likes of blu-ray / uhd and like whither way of turning it off at all, to see if indeed provides any benefit or not

any other owners out there with some thoughts / insights on above ?

post #13 of 40 Old 01-07-2019, 01:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Have you given it a test with any hi-res files yet, My local shop can get both panny's in for me and I assume the 9000 will do better than that 820 in this area.
post #14 of 40 Old 01-07-2019, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sresener View Post
Have you given it a test with any hi-res files yet, My local shop can get both panny's in for me and I assume the 9000 will do better than that 820 in this area.
hi do you mean as in hi-res music downloads ? sorry I left that venture behind a while back. I stick to disc and hd audio via disc only. all my streaming I do is CD quality

my exploration to date has only been with movies on this player,

so far on UHD blu-ray have watched Gladiator, Brave heart, A quiet place, mission impossible fall out all have been simply stunning in PQ and SQ. I might have some screen shots can share to give some inclination what this player is capable off

post #15 of 40 Old 01-08-2019, 03:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

some hand held screen shots, but have tried best I can to make sure as best representative of what is on screen. it does look even better in person though... but will give some appreciation,

A quiet place

Braveheart

MI fallout

MI fallout
Greg TB and MOberhardt like this.

Last edited by alebonau; 01-08-2019 at 12:48 PM.
post #16 of 40 Old 01-08-2019, 07:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 22
alebonau, what movie does the screenshots come from?
MI Fallout?
alebonau likes this.
post #17 of 40 Old 01-08-2019, 07:56 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 5634
Paid my invoice today. Hopefully they ship on the 11th.
Mark Booth likes this.

XBR65A8F / XBR65A1E
UB820 / ATV4K
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F(2) / RP-504C / FV15HP(2)
post #18 of 40 Old 01-08-2019, 08:17 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 86
I paid my invoice on Dec 31. I hope they ship on the 10th!

Mark
post #19 of 40 Old 01-08-2019, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake51 View Post
alebonau, what movie does the screenshots come from?
MI Fallout?
hi Jake have titled them for you, its from a few UHDs been watching on the 9000, from A quiet place, braveheart and MI fallout.

post #20 of 40 Old 01-09-2019, 02:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Thanks
post #21 of 40 Old 01-09-2019, 03:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 914 Post(s)
Liked: 1231
@alebonau

How do you find the mage quality of the UB9000 in relation to your 205?
post #22 of 40 Old 01-09-2019, 03:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woofer View Post
@alebonau

havent compared directly as yet sorry, plan and intend to do at some stage. but no complaints from me at this stage with the ub9000 its detailed, crisp, rich and punchy in colours good dynamic range etc. nothing to grizzle about image quality wise...
woofer likes this.

post #23 of 40 Old 01-09-2019, 08:23 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Send a message via Skype™ to I-SIBI
Quote:
havent compared directly as yet sorry, plan and intend to do at some stage. but no complaints from me at this stage with the ub9000 its detailed, crisp, rich and punchy in colours good dynamic range etc. nothing to grizzle about image quality wise...
Again this question... hihihihi....

I can't compare with the 205... but I can compare with the 203... and the Cambridge Audio.... and the Sony X-800...

On both C8 OLED and 4k Projector...

Not a great difference on 4K HDR PQ between players on my last gen OLED...

Where I see a visible difference between the UB9000 and the trio of Mediatek based players is on:
1) Tone mapping with lamp PJ; there the UB9000 is superior.
2) Upscaling of SD DVD. Keep in mind that both the Oppo and the CXUHD are no slouch... but when I watch some upscaled DVDs from the Panny i can't believe to my eyes... maybe is just placebo effect... maybe not...

For general use, on modern displays, all my players are excellent... in this age, PQ questions looks just silly... people just believe to see differences that are not there, and don't see the real differences that are minuscule...

BTW: i Love my UB9000
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0025.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	536.8 KB
ID:	2508176  
alebonau likes this.

Oppo 203EU - Cambridge Audio CXUHD - Panasonic DP-UB9000 - SONY X-800 UHD BLU-RAY -Apple TV 4K - Marantz SR6013 in 5:1:2 Dolby ATMOS/DTS:X Config - KLIPSH REFERENCE (Towers + Central + 2 surrounds + 2 Atmos Enabled) - Tannoy Active Sub- LG OLED 65C8 - LG OLED 55B7 - OPTOMA UHD60 4K/HDR Projector on 110' SCREEN- Toshiba HD-EP30 HDDVD PLAYER - Marantz NA6006 Network Audio Player

Last edited by I-SIBI; 01-09-2019 at 08:28 AM.
post #24 of 40 Old 01-09-2019, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by woofer View Post
@alebonau

There are WIZARDS in my Blu-Ray player? Who knew?!? ;-)

- Tim
post #25 of 40 Old 01-09-2019, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Does the 9000 work with my SONY 930E TV-DV Low Latency profile-

Before I purchase the 9000 I would first need to know if it works with my SONY 4K TV (my 65 inch 930E) and it's Dolby Vision implementation-Low Latency profile.
The Pioneer Elite lx500 does work with my SONY TV (it states it in the specifications that it works with Dolby Vision/Low Latency profile on SONY 4K Tv's)
but does the Panasonic 9000 also work ????

Please respond.
post #26 of 40 Old 01-09-2019, 01:32 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 1149 Post(s)
Liked: 1911
Quote:
Originally Posted by aflorida View Post
Before I purchase the 9000 I would first need to know if it works with my SONY 4K TV (my 65 inch 930E) and it's Dolby Vision implementation-Low Latency profile.
The Pioneer Elite lx500 does work with my SONY TV (it states it in the specifications that it works with Dolby Vision/Low Latency profile on SONY 4K Tv's)
but does the Panasonic 9000 also work ????

Please respond.
Yes. All of the newer players must support them.
aflorida likes this.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
post #27 of 40 Old 01-09-2019, 05:08 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Panasonic released a firmware update for the UB820 a couple of months ago and that update added the necessary Sony Low Latency Dolby Vision profile. Sony Extreme TV owners have ben using the UB820 with their TVs for several months now.

Robert has already stated that the UB9000 already has the newer firmware and support for the Sony DV profile.

Mark
aflorida likes this.
post #28 of 40 Old 01-10-2019, 02:09 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 5634
Container still in route, expected shipping day is next Wed.

XBR65A8F / XBR65A1E
UB820 / ATV4K
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F(2) / RP-504C / FV15HP(2)
post #29 of 40 Old 01-10-2019, 09:04 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

So, Rtings says my Sony TV's peak HDR luminance is about 1,200 nits. Would that be the MEDIUM LCD setting on the UB9000's Display Type setting?

Mark
post #30 of 40 Old 01-11-2019, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Booth View Post
So, Rtings says my Sony TV's peak HDR luminance is about 1,200 nits. Would that be the MEDIUM LCD setting on the UB9000's Display Type setting?

Mark
check it out ... see what works best...

any owners of this thing out there ? or are they some rare beast

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players