post #31 of 176 Old 10-23-2018, 06:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post
Powerline adapters also work well. I have found them more stable than using wireless extenders.

S~

This is what I use when I need an Ethernet line and they work really well.

I also have a WiFi extender which has a LAN port but I prefer the Powerline adapters that don’t use WiFi and are basically plug and play.

My player will be delivered tomorrow hopefully early and I’ll be using the powerline adapters until I can run an Ethernet line which I’m hoping to do this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-
Upgraditus is a real disease
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 176 Old 10-23-2018, 07:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2215 Post(s)
Liked: 2618
Nice write up! Panasonic may miss there chance with my $
RickyDeg likes this.
post #33 of 176 Old 10-24-2018, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post
Nice write up! Panasonic may miss there chance with my $
Thanks! It's a pity Panasonic won't release their top machine in the US. Might be a good thing for Pioneer on the other hand
audiofan1 likes this.

| PIONEER SC-LX901 (a/v receiver)
PIONEER UDP-LX500 (uhd bd player)
REVEL CONCERTA2 + SVS SB-2000 LIMITED EDITION (5.2 speaker system)
LG OLED65C8 (oled tv)
ISOTEK EVO3 AQUARIUS (mains conditioner)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 176 Old 10-24-2018, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2215 Post(s)
Liked: 2618
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyDeg View Post
Thanks! It's a pity Panasonic won't release their top machine in the US. Might be a good thing for Pioneer on the other hand
I glanced over the feature suit and noticed the one feature that would make or break it for me and that was Dolby vision low latency support for my Sony display and kudos it does! Do you happen to know which Dac is on board?
post #35 of 176 Old 10-24-2018, 11:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
actually, it looks like Panasonic will be releasing the 9000 in the US with the first allocation due at VE in December
audiofan1 and RickyDeg like this.

-
post #36 of 176 Old 10-24-2018, 05:57 PM
Advanced Member

Here is a pic of the US version that I received today which does in fact have the Elite logo with gold trim and amber display as others have stated.

I’ve never been a fan of the gold with amber display but this one isn’t or wasn’t bothering me probably because my rack is off to the side and not under TV. I then saw the blue power light with the amber and they look hideous together.

The size of this unit is very close to the Oppo 205 but this Pioneer feels bigger and heavier. Was just delivered about an hour ago so not much else to provide yet other than two channel analog sounds pretty decent out of the box.

ti-triodes, audiofan1 and RickyDeg like this.

-
post #37 of 176 Old 10-24-2018, 06:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-smith View Post
Here is a pic of the US version that I received today which does in fact have the Elite logo with gold trim and amber display as others have stated.

I’ve never been a fan of the gold with amber display but this one isn’t or wasn’t bothering me probably because my rack is off to the side and not under TV. I then saw the blue power light with the amber and they look hideous together.

The size of this unit is very close to the Oppo 205 but this Pioneer feels bigger and heavier. Was just delivered about an hour ago so not much else to provide yet other than two channel analog sounds pretty decent out of the box.

Did you also feel that the boot-up disc time was slower than the oppo ? There was a report of it being slower by one other member in a different thread.
post #38 of 176 Old 10-24-2018, 06:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tn001d View Post
Did you also feel that the boot-up disc time was slower than the oppo ? There was a report of it being slower by one other member in a different thread.

This Pioneer does appear to be a little slower starting a disc than my Oppos and the Panny 820 I have but it’s not dramatically slower.

This player reminds me of my Denon players as far as the information displayed, the green circle when disc is loading, Play symbol in top left.

I can use the mconnect app with this player to play music when TV is off but I’m hoping Pioneer releases an app for this as I don’t think there is one for this yet.

RickyDeg likes this.

-
post #39 of 176 Old 10-25-2018, 01:53 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I think it looks gorgeous! In a picture at least. But that's the only way I've seen 'Elite' versions.

It makes sense however that a blue illumination and an amber display won't match visually. That's actually an ok aspect with the European version I have, since the white display matches pretty well with the blue illumination. Like I mentioned in my review however - it's ashamed we can't turn the illumination off if desired (like we can on most Pioneer receivers).

Nice comparison with the Oppo UDP-205!

LG OLED65C8 (oled tv)
post #40 of 176 Old 10-25-2018, 02:00 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I can use the mconnect app with this player to play music when TV is off but I’m hoping Pioneer releases an app for this as I don’t think there is one for this yet.
According to my dealer Pioneer have said they are working on implementing control of the player into the app that also control their receivers. Don't know if that's true though.

I'm currently using "Pioneer Remote App" in order to control streaming via Tidal in the SC-LX901. It's pretty decent. I can adjust most settings of the receiver there as well. Would be great if they added the player.

LG OLED65C8 (oled tv)
post #41 of 176 Old 10-25-2018, 04:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked: 543
Quote:

Good to know about 2 channel analog. It's increasingly looking like this player will find it's way into my home. I'd sure like an app to navigate the contents of music on a 256 gb attached ssd usb drive without cutting the tv on. Currently I do this with the Oppo app on my iPhone for the 203, and kindle fire with the 95. Curious about mconnect.

Supercharged Song Towers, Oppo BDP-203, Anthem MRX-520, LG B6 OLED
Headphone Rig: Oppo BDP-95, Burson Audio Soloist MKII Headphone amp/ Sennheiser HD800S, Sennheiser HD650

Last edited by glangford; 10-25-2018 at 04:04 AM.
post #42 of 176 Old 10-25-2018, 05:17 AM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford View Post
Good to know about 2 channel analog. It's increasingly looking like this player will find it's way into my home. I'd sure like an app to navigate the contents of music on a 256 gb attached ssd usb drive without cutting the tv on. Currently I do this with the Oppo app on my iPhone for the 203, and kindle fire with the 95. Curious about mconnect.
Anyone know which DAC it uses? I can confirm this unit is heavier than the Oppo 205 and the drawer is smooth as silk!!
RickyDeg likes this.
post #43 of 176 Old 10-25-2018, 05:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked: 655
Quote:
According to my dealer Pioneer have said they are working on implementing control of the player into the app that also control their receivers. Don't know if that's true though.

I'm currently using "Pioneer Remote App" in order to control streaming via Tidal in the SC-LX901. It's pretty decent. I can adjust most settings of the receiver there as well. Would be great if they added the player.

Have you tried the ICONTROLAV5 APP?

"well you know what doctor I'm going to go home take two aspirins and call you a b****"
post #44 of 176 Old 10-25-2018, 06:09 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomo657 View Post
Have you tried the ICONTROLAV5 APP?
Not yet but I heard iControlAV5 only offer unit control, not music content streaming on top of that (?). Not keen on using several apps.

LG OLED65C8 (oled tv)
post #45 of 176 Old 10-25-2018, 06:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickcfer View Post
Anyone know which DAC it uses? I can confirm this unit is heavier than the Oppo 205 and the drawer is smooth as silk!!

The LX500 has the AK4490 and the LX800 is supposed to have the ES9026.

The drawer is amazingly quiet and I wasn’t even sure opened the first time I hit Open with the lights out in the room.

RickyDeg likes this.

-
post #46 of 176 Old 10-25-2018, 06:41 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

The drawer is amazingly quiet and I wasn’t even sure opened the first time I hit Open with the lights out in the room.
That was my exact reaction when first hooking the player up!

It's nice with such a reassuring build and overall operation. It's all in the details with this player.
T-smith likes this.

LG OLED65C8 (oled tv)
post #47 of 176 Old 10-25-2018, 06:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks for the info. I emailed Pioneer directly but all I’ve heard so far is that my question has been redirected to the appropriate group.

The Pioneer Remote App doesn’t find this player even when I try adding the IP Address directly. The Pioneer Control App which I think is the other app you mentioned doesn’t find the player on its own but I can connect when entering IP Address directly. The functionality is limited though to basic control like a remote and doesn’t give me the option to search and play music by the app alone even though by the app screenshots it does appear it has that functionality.

ti-triodes and RickyDeg like this.

-
post #48 of 176 Old 10-25-2018, 07:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford View Post

The Oppo app was a disaster early on to the point where I looked for alternatives and tried mconnect based on recommendation from someone in that thread. It works but Oppo finally improved their app so I didn’t need to use mconnect that long.

I listened to music over analog for a few hours last night and although it sounded good I kept feeling like I was missing something. I went through the settings 3 times but didn’t see anything I missed then it hit me.

I prefer balanced connections and since this player doesn’t have balanced output I stupidly decided to try a new pair of rca to xlr male cables into my Marantz 8805 and figured it had to be them so I switched them out for a pair of rca unbalanced cables and things really opened up. My plan was to try these rca to xlr cables to see how I liked them and if I did order some better quality cables but unbalanced sounds plenty good. Moral of the story, don’t try new cheap cables when also trying a new player

Aja, glangford and RickyDeg like this.

-
post #49 of 176 Old 10-25-2018, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I emailed Pioneer directly but all I’ve heard so far is that my question has been redirected to the appropriate group.

The Pioneer Remote App doesn’t find this player even when I try adding the IP Address directly. The Pioneer Control App which I think is the other app you mentioned doesn’t find the player on its own but I can connect when entering IP Address directly. The functionality is limited though to basic control like a remote and doesn’t give me the option to search and play music by the app alone even though by the app screenshots it does appear it has that functionality.
Seems to me Pioneer have some work to do. And pronto! They should have had this sorted at release of the player.

LG OLED65C8 (oled tv)
post #50 of 176 Old 10-25-2018, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member

Pioneer UDP-LX 500 / 800 Owners Thread (No Price Talk)

For those who use Harmony Remotes the UDP-LX500 is not currently available so I added the Pioneer BDP-85FD and it works just fine.

I’ve been listening to music most of the day through analog and no complaints. I wish I still had my Oppo 205 to compare against though. I plan on trying more movies today as I’ve only tested parts of a couple so far.

On another note I’ve had this player on since about 8 AM and it doesn’t even feel warm much less hot so it’s def a cool running unit.

RickyDeg and masimec like this.

-

Last edited by T-smith; 10-25-2018 at 11:49 AM.
post #51 of 176 Old 10-25-2018, 04:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 489 Post(s)
Liked: 974
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickcfer View Post

post #52 of 176 Old 10-26-2018, 09:02 PM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Big panic moment on my LX500 today. Had some friends over and wanted to play some clips from various movies and when I started up the player, I got no video on my screen. Tried to turn it off and turn it back on and then started checking my HDMI connections and nothing. Started thinking that my 8805 had a bad input but I switched inputs with my OPPO 105 and it was fine. I had to leave and while I was en route to pick up my Daughter from school, I remembered that the last time I watched a movie and ejected it before turning everything off, I mistakenly hit the button directly above the eject button which is the “pure audio” button and that shuts off all of the video circuits. When I got back home, I went straight down to my theater and turned the system on and sure enough, the blue light was on that signifies that the “pure audio” mode is engaged. I immediately pushed it and it showed that pure audio was turned off and tadaaaaaaa!! Video came right back up. Scared the **** out of me!! Keep in mind that my JVC 4810 is not true 4K so my first thought earlier when I saw the issue is that the LX500 “figured out” that that projector was not native 4K so it would no longer show a 4K disc through it. Anyhow, all is good in the hood again! Moral of the story....don’t panic until you retrace your last steps and you may figure something out!

post #53 of 176 Old 10-27-2018, 05:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
I have a projector for movies
I'm torn between the LX500 and the Panasonic UB9000
I know the Pana has some relevant features like a HDR Optimizer for screens with low brightness (like a projector)
Does the Pio have something like that?
My AVR is the Pio LX901 so the LX500 would look nice next to it...

Last edited by jake51; 10-27-2018 at 05:43 AM.
post #54 of 176 Old 10-27-2018, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake51 View Post
I have a projector for movies

I'm torn between the LX500 and the Panasonic UB9000

I know the Pana has some relevant features like a HDR Optimizer for screens with low brightness (like a projector)

Does the Pio have something like that?

My AVR is the Pio LX901 so the LX500 would look nice next to it...

The Pioneer has a projector setting plus you can adjust the HDR setting. See the picture below.

The Pioneer is an universal player. It plays SACD and DVD-A discs. The Panasonic doesn’t. If you don’t need an universal disc player, then you can choose any other player on the market.

post #55 of 176 Old 10-27-2018, 02:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
In the manual there is no explanation of what HDR-SDR Adj. is
What happens to the picture when you change the value to a higher or lower value?
post #56 of 176 Old 10-27-2018, 02:14 PM

Quote:

What happens to the picture when you change the value to a higher or lower value?

Page 39 in the manual explains what are these controls for. The optimizer is the “TV Type”. The HDR-SDR is for conversion adjustment for TVs without HDR processing. This one sets the maximum brightness.

post #57 of 176 Old 10-27-2018, 04:10 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 146 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4940 Post(s)
Liked: 5193
Quote:
it's a single slider with 3 positions to select a specific NIT level. It doesn't look anywhere near as comprehensive as the UB820/9000 auto-tone mapping which provides extensive controls.

until there is a proper comparison i'd hold reservation if you have a projector and relying on good tone-mapping.
alebonau and I-SIBI like this.
post #58 of 176 Old 10-27-2018, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
it's a single slider with 3 positions to select a specific NIT level. It doesn't look anywhere near as comprehensive as the UB820/9000 auto-tone mapping which provides extensive controls.

until there is a proper comparison i'd hold reservation if you have a projector and relying on good tone-mapping.

No, it’s not a slider with 3 positions. It’s a slider with 25 Nits increment. Ranges from 100 to 700 by 25 nits increment. Default position is 300. Still, the Panasonic can be your choice if you’re looking for a huge control for the HDR to SDR output.

My take on this is: I want to have the exact (reference) setting. I don’t want to tamper with the signal for whatever reason. I know most of you are looking for that type of modifications. I recommend you go with the Panasonic.

post #59 of 176 Old 10-27-2018, 04:54 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2083 Post(s)
Liked: 2916
Quote:
Originally Posted by george1906 View Post
Big panic moment on my LX500 today. Had some friends over and wanted to play some clips from various movies and when I started up the player, I got no video on my screen. Tried to turn it off and turn it back on and then started checking my HDMI connections and nothing. Started thinking that my 8805 had a bad input but I switched inputs with my OPPO 105 and it was fine. I had to leave and while I was en route to pick up my Daughter from school, I remembered that the last time I watched a movie and ejected it before turning everything off, I mistakenly hit the button directly above the eject button which is the “pure audio” button and that shuts off all of the video circuits. When I got back home, I went straight down to my theater and turned the system on and sure enough, the blue light was on that signifies that the “pure audio” mode is engaged. I immediately pushed it and it showed that pure audio was turned off and tadaaaaaaa!! Video came right back up. Scared the **** out of me!! Keep in mind that my JVC 4810 is not true 4K so my first thought earlier when I saw the issue is that the LX500 “figured out” that that projector was not native 4K so it would no longer show a 4K disc through it. Anyhow, all is good in the hood again! Moral of the story....don’t panic until you retrace your last steps and you may figure something out!
I'm surprised the Pure Audio function stays active after shutting off the LX500. I could see if it was a selection made in the menu but a function of the remote should revert back to the normal setup with video active.

Bill

My SACD collection and HRAudio.net Library, getting larger as my wallet gets smaller ;-).

Emotiva XMC-1, Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE (preamp), SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Oppo UDP-205 x 2, UDP-203, BDP-103, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk HT2-TLs, Salk 1801b center, Salk 1801TL (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #60 of 176 Old 10-27-2018, 04:55 PM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post
I'm surprised the Pure Audio function stays active after shutting off the LX500. I could see if it was a selection made in the menu but a function of the remote should revert back to normal setup.

Bill

Yeah, I didn’t even try the remote. I’m sure there is a button to control it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players