71Likes

post #61 of 504 Old 07-09-2018, 11:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadLizard View Post
It does - I have watched a few 3D titles and it does send 3D as 1080p/24. Looks fine though.
thanks guys for answers.

I had tried the older LGUP970 but returned it for the noise issue as well as I found it running exremely hot. Have people noticed if the UBK90 is running cooler, not just quieter?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 504 Old 07-09-2018, 12:33 PM

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 104
I picked this up as well. Impressed with the PQ. Tested an array of older Blu Rays and 4K content. So far has been working flawless.
post #63 of 504 Old 07-09-2018, 01:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaHiDef View Post
Coming from an Oppo 203, I can tell you that if you are just comparing picture quality, they are the same. Some might not think so but it's not a $300+ difference.
This is good news
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 504 Old 07-09-2018, 10:31 PM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Is there any network, local media functionality on this? I generally use Plex on my PS4, but I am kind of curious.
post #65 of 504 Old 07-10-2018, 03:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked: 1363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemember View Post
thanks guys for answers.

I had tried the older LGUP970 but returned it for the noise issue as well as I found it running exremely hot. Have people noticed if the UBK90 is running cooler, not just quieter?
Definitely quieter. Mine makes like no noise and even loading is almost silent. Haven’t checked the heat factor but I suspect it’s fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarenG View Post
I picked this up as well. Impressed with the PQ. Tested an array of older Blu Rays and 4K content. So far has been working flawless.
Yep, watched a Netflix copy of Jumanji last night on standard Blu-ray and it looked really good. I guess the scaling is decent enough although I still don’t like that it’s forced. My TV supports Dolby vision so I’m limited to choosing 2160p as the players output resolution or Auto. But, like I said, so far it’s been doing a solid job with standard Blu-ray Discs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmiggyjk View Post
Is there any network, local media functionality on this? I generally use Plex on my PS4, but I am kind of curious.
There is a network sub section but I haven’t checked what it does. I don’t think the player is very feature laden. Check the manual online and they may have more info. Or, I’ll take a look later tonight when I get home.

LG OLED65E6P, Samsung PN64H5000
LG UBK-90, Samsung UBD-8500K
Polk RTi Towers, STi surrounds
Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
post #66 of 504 Old 07-10-2018, 10:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 728 Post(s)
Liked: 404
OFFICIAL LG UBK90/80 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player Owners Thread (No Price Talk)

Quote:
Definitely quieter. Mine makes like no noise and even loading is almost silent. Haven’t checked the heat factor but I suspect it’s fine.

I wouldn’t say mine is silent. There is a constant hum/buzzing whenever you’re watching a movie on disc because the disc is spinning. Definitely audible during quiet parts of movies if the player is out in the open. I have my player in a cabinet with glass doors and it’s now only barely audible if you concentrate and try to hear it. It is completely silent if you’re just using the onboard apps and there is no spinning disc though.
post #67 of 504 Old 07-11-2018, 04:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkwong View Post
I wouldn’t say mine is silent. There is a constant hum/buzzing whenever you’re watching a movie on disc because the disc is spinning. Definitely audible during quiet parts of movies if the player is out in the open. I have my player in a cabinet with glass doors and it’s now only barely audible if you concentrate and try to hear it. It is completely silent if you’re just using the onboard apps and there is no spinning disc though.
I actually use my TV apps and not the ones in the player. I hear ya though - every player will be slightly different but mine is very quiet. The nice thing is that its pretty much confirmed that this new player is quiter than the previous gen!

Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
post #68 of 504 Old 07-11-2018, 05:48 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
I actually use my TV apps and not the ones in the player. I hear ya though - every player will be slightly different but mine is very quiet. The nice thing is that its pretty much confirmed that this new player is quiter than the previous gen!
Mine is dead silent in an open cabinet.
RoadLizard likes this.
post #69 of 504 Old 07-11-2018, 09:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lend27 View Post
Mine is dead silent in an open cabinet.

Interesting. So you don’t hear the drive spinning at all, even if you are right next to the end player?
post #70 of 504 Old 07-11-2018, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Interesting. So you don’t hear the drive spinning at all, even if you are right next to the end player?
Not sitting right next to it. About 8 feet away, can’t hear any spinning or any noise at all.
How far are you from yours?
post #71 of 504 Old 07-11-2018, 11:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Not sitting right next to it. About 8 feet away, can’t hear any spinning or any noise at all.

I’m about the same distance away.
post #72 of 504 Old 07-11-2018, 11:40 AM

Quote:
I’m about the same distance away.
Sounds like there’s significant variability in external sound levels.
post #73 of 504 Old 07-11-2018, 11:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Sounds like there’s significant variability in external sound levels.

Or perhaps variability in the perception of sound levels.
post #74 of 504 Old 07-11-2018, 01:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Me too - about 8-9 feet. Quiet as far as I can tell.

Quote:
Or perhaps variability in the perception of sound levels.
This also playes a role.

Watched Batman Begins last night and even though thats just an HDR10 title(No Dolby Vision) it looked pretty darned good overall. No playback issues at all. Very pleased with the player at this point, albeit still not thrilled about the forced player upscaling but it wont be a deal killer for me. If it keeps playing the discs I throw at it and the PQ stays good, shes a keeper.

Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
post #75 of 504 Old 07-13-2018, 01:43 PM

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 140
OK so from reading this thread...

If you own a Sony 940E TV with the X1 Extreme processor that supports DV, you can buy the X700 BD player and manually switch back and forth for DV. Ugh

Or you could buy the UBK90 which has auto detect for DV, but DOESN'T SHOW DV on a Sony TV. Because Sony is "different"

Or you could buy the Oppo 203. No issues with DV on that for Sony TV's?
post #76 of 504 Old 07-14-2018, 10:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Watched Dark Knight and Dark Knight Rises in UHD on the player. Had a couple hiccup/glitches towards the end of Rises but it played thrugh them. Just a couple pixelated hesitations. Didnt have to pause or skip. It recovered. I blame the disc since these Nolan Batmans have a history of disc issues that are reported by people using all kinds of different players. Im not worried. PQ and AQ were excellent - just HDR on these, no Dolby Vision though. Still, its the best they've ever looked despite some DNR here and there.

So, Im still happy with the player at this stage. Another week or so of evaluation yet to come. Lets get some other reviews here guys.... post your viewing results!!!

Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
post #77 of 504 Old 07-14-2018, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 252
NOTE: In the interest of providing additional reviews on the UBK90... the following review was copied from another thread titled: LG unveils 2018 UHD Blu-ray players - UBK90/80.

Thanks to mike1sc for providing the following information:

"Ok, after having the UBK90 for almost a month, I have been happy with the overall performance, primarily now having a player that will correctly play 4K disks in Dolby Vision, which is the specific reason for purchasing it. The UBK90 is about 3 times more sensitive than the Samsung 8500, meaning a fingerprint or smudge on the play side of the disk will cause playback issues, so where the Samsung would play a smudged disk, I have found issues with three different disks, and after ejecting the disks and inspecting it, each one of them was dirty. A quick cleaning and the disks played as designed. I now know to insert clean disks into the UBK90. The other issue, and it is really not an issue, just a quirk, is the white screen that appears when a disk is stopped or removed. My first thought was that LG rushed this player to market. However, while I am not a fan of the white screen, I have gotten used to it. This player is not noisy. Overall, as stated earlier, I like this player, and I am glad to finally get a player that plays Dolby Vision."
mike1sc

LG OLED65B6P - Yamaha V867 - Roku Ultra - Chromecast Ultra - PC Gaming Console - Samsung DMP-BD85 - LG UBK90
post #78 of 504 Old 07-16-2018, 11:49 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 403
Interesting about the smudged discs. Yesterday, watching Westworld UHD on this player, I had repeated dropouts where the audio froze and part of the video turned solid green with rainbow blocks at the bottom. I gave up and watched the rest of the disc on my Xbox One X in regular HDR, but maybe I should have checked for smudges instead. The discs were brand new out of the package, so I didn't think to check how clean they were. The disc played just fine in the Xbox.

I have 10 more days to return the UBK90, on the fence at this point.
post #79 of 504 Old 07-16-2018, 12:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratbuddy View Post
Interesting about the smudged discs. Yesterday, watching Westworld UHD on this player, I had repeated dropouts where the audio froze and part of the video turned solid green with rainbow blocks at the bottom. I gave up and watched the rest of the disc on my Xbox One X in regular HDR, but maybe I should have checked for smudges instead. The discs were brand new out of the package, so I didn't think to check how clean they were. The disc played just fine in the Xbox.

I have 10 more days to return the UBK90, on the fence at this point.
It is possible that you got a fussy player and perhaps a swap out would be worthwhile? Just a thought. But, if it doesnt please you then by all means return it. Im still evaluating mine but if I have any major issues over the next few weeks with playback then mines outta here too. I do like it though and I hope it keeps me happy.

Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
post #80 of 504 Old 07-17-2018, 11:21 AM

I'm giving up and sending it back. They announced Dolby Vision support for disc playback on Xbox One X, so a glitchy standalone player with a 1997 UI is no longer a thing I need
post #81 of 504 Old 07-17-2018, 02:46 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
I'm giving up and sending it back. They announced Dolby Vision support for disc playback on Xbox One X, so a glitchy standalone player with a 1997 UI is no longer a thing I need
so far the DV for x box one is limited to 2 streaming services only in the Alpha

and since its alpha still ,and lotsa issues from what ive read so far,id say hold off on sending back

could be 6 months plus ,and no guarantees itll be DV to the Discs/local streaming etc
post #82 of 504 Old 07-17-2018, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CucNZ View Post
so far the DV for x box one is limited to 2 streaming services only in the Alpha

and since its alpha still ,and lotsa issues from what ive read so far,id say hold off on sending back

could be 6 months plus ,and no guarantees itll be DV to the Discs/local streaming etc
They already announced it will support DV on discs, I'm not worried about it. As long as I can get DV on Netflix and discs, I'm good. If the LG player worked right and had a better interface, I'd keep it, but as-is, it was a waste of money.
post #83 of 504 Old 07-18-2018, 03:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That’s cool. The UI doesn’t bother me since I use the TV streaming apps. Mine hasn’t been glitchy but if your has then by all means try something else. Good luck with the Xbox!

Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
post #84 of 504 Old 07-18-2018, 08:58 AM

Liked: 0
I am very happy with my LG UBK 90, however, I'm using the separate hdmi audio from the player to my receiver and for some reason the two Dolby Vision discs that I own have a slight lip synchronization issue. The HDR10 and all other discs are fine.
post #85 of 504 Old 07-18-2018, 09:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sal.d View Post
I am very happy with my LG UBK 90, however, I'm using the separate hdmi audio from the player to my receiver and for some reason the two Dolby Vision discs that I own have a slight lip synchronization issue. The HDR10 and all other discs are fine.

I had a lip sync issue too, but it was the same for SDR, HDR10, and DV so I just an audio delay in my receiver and that resolved it. What TV are you using? I’m wondering if the delay is caused by that rather than the player.
post #86 of 504 Old 07-18-2018, 11:33 AM

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 99
If someone is having issues with a glitchy player, regardless of name brand, then of course they should swap it out or try another brand. But, the UI is not one of them, IMO. I look at the UI for a few seconds, just long enough to pop a disc in and watch a movie. Does not need to be fancy. The PQ, DV, and HDR quality is most important.

LG OLED55B8PUA
LG OLED65C7P
LG UBK90
ATV 4K
Samsung HW-N950
post #87 of 504 Old 07-18-2018, 11:42 AM

Liked: 0
Quote:
I had a lip sync issue too, but it was the same for SDR, HDR10, and DV so I just an audio delay in my receiver and that resolved it. What TV are you using? I’m wondering if the delay is caused by that rather than the player.
I have the LG 65UH8500 TV. I should have an audio delay on my receiver but don't know where it is.
post #88 of 504 Old 07-18-2018, 11:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have the LG 65UH8500 TV. I should have an audio delay on my receiver but don't know where it is.
Looks like we have a very similar setup. I also have the LG UBK90 and an Onkyo NR646, but they are feeding into an LG OLED65E6. Page 19 of the NR646's manual (http://filedepot.onkyousa.com/Files/...ADV_En_web.pdf) shows you how to set the audio delay. I'm not sure this will help you much, though, because this is done per input. If you change it so that it's right for DV, you might end up with an opposite lip sync issue for SDR and HDR10 material. As I said before, I found the lip sync issue to be the same for all types of content coming from the UBK90, so I would check if the problem is on the TV side.
post #89 of 504 Old 07-18-2018, 03:15 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 5619 Post(s)
Liked: 7926
Quote:
You might find my Blog post on this helpful:

Lip Sync, OR Why Are Her Lips Still Moving After She's Stopped Talking?

If you STILL find a difference specific to Dolby Vision playback, check whether there's any additional video processing enabled in your display when it is playing Dolby Vision content. You will likely need to be playing Dolby Vision at the time to view/change these settings in your Display.

--Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #90 of 504 Old 07-18-2018, 08:26 PM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Put mine to use today after arrival with TLJ and Logan, very very impressed. This is the first content Ive watched on my LG C8 with Dolby Vision (TJL) and I was pretty blown away.

Consider me all-in on 4K/HDR

Setup was a breeze, and I had it already programmed in to my Harmony activities so I didn't even have to open the default remote. Sure the UI could use some work, but I won't be using it for DNLA/network play, or the apps (the TV has better versions as does my PS4), so I think this will work out just fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players