Forum Jump: 
 71Likes

post #481 of 506 Old 01-01-2019, 10:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Luck Has Run Out

I bought my player the end of May and it has performed flawlessly until the last several weeks. Had major problems with Mama Mia Here We Go Again and actually exchanged the disc. New disc was better but still froze different places at different times. Schindler's List froze one time and was easy to restart, now Gladiator froze once but had to completely restart (turned off player, etc. and then had to go to Scenes to find the place I left of). Very disappointed with this machine now, it's a shame because the picture quality is absolutely amazing. I'm actually thinking of trying to return the player if possible.

Last edited by sal.d; 01-02-2019 at 09:21 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #482 of 506 Old 01-01-2019, 10:07 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmiggyjk View Post
How do I disable CEC on the UBK90? It keeps turning on my receiver and TV and I use a harmony elite, and it gets annoying shutting everything off if I just want to take out a disk when the system is powered down. I dug though the settings icon and could not find it.
It seems we are forced to buy a Lindy HDMI CEC Less Adapter in order to disable CEC on this player.

For everyone here saying to simply disable CEC on your AVR or TV, the issue is with LG OLED TVs if you want to use internal apps you need to bring the ATMOS sound back to to your receiver from your TV, so you need to leave CEC/ARC on. Which then causes this player to turn on and switch input to it. If you want to use the internal OLED apps and have ATMOS you need to get one of these CEC disablers or unplug the 4K player HDMI or Power cord.
post #483 of 506 Old 01-02-2019, 03:19 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I picked up the UBK90 this holiday season, primarily to play Dolby Vision UHD discs on a new Sony 900F TV. I'm currently running the HDMI video out straight to the Sony and the HDMI audio out to a Denon receiver since the latter doesn't have Dolby Vision support.

However, when I play a UHD disc with both DV and HDR10 support, it looks like my TV is only playing the HDR10 video (there is no DV popup message and the menu setting doesn't show Dolby Vision). Is there a way to force DV from this player? If not, is there possibly an issue playing DV on the Sony 900F from this player?

Just in case, I did confirm Dolby Vision works on the TV by playing a DV video file from Netflix. When I did this, the DV popup message appeared and Dolby Vision is showing in the menu.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #484 of 506 Old 01-02-2019, 04:02 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 455
It has already been discussed in this thread before. Sony's cheap a** DV implementation is not yet supported by this player. You will need a TV with dedicated DV hardware chips like those with LG or TCL.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
DrBrFrJr likes this.
post #485 of 506 Old 01-02-2019, 04:49 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post
It has already been discussed in this thread before. Sony's cheap a** DV implementation is not yet supported by this player. You will need a TV with dedicated DV hardware chips like those with LG or TCL.

Thanks for confirming, Fotbat121. That really is unfortunate, but hopefully one of them (Sony or LG) releases a firmware update to address this although LG really shouldn't have to do this. Has there been any news releases on a possible fix?

If this issue isn't fixed by later this year I'll move this player to my office to pair with my LG Oled so DV is supported and then buy another player for the Sony in the living room.
post #486 of 506 Old 01-02-2019, 06:37 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 455
Sony can't magically make the missing hardware chip appear in your TV. So, that's not gonna happen. As for LG, who knows. It haven't updated any firmware ever since I purchase this player last fall.

post #487 of 506 Old 01-02-2019, 08:32 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
HI all,

I just picked up this player for Christmas and wow what a difference it makes compared to watching 4K streaming on Netflix. I mean Netflix is still great when compared to normal HD content, but the quality improvement from streaming to a 4K disc is striking!!
I have it hooked up direct to my LG 65B7P and sound going to my Integra DTR-8.9 which still sounds awesome but is really old as far as HDMI technology goes these days.

I did have an issue with my version of Avengers Infinity War, having a freeze right at the point of Thanos pulling the crystal out of Vision's head. Anyone else having that issue?

Thanks
Pat
post #488 of 506 Old 01-04-2019, 05:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked: 1364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedshot View Post
HI all,

I just picked up this player for Christmas and wow what a difference it makes compared to watching 4K streaming on Netflix. I mean Netflix is still great when compared to normal HD content, but the quality improvement from streaming to a 4K disc is striking!!
I have it hooked up direct to my LG 65B7P and sound going to my Integra DTR-8.9 which still sounds awesome but is really old as far as HDMI technology goes these days.

I did have an issue with my version of Avengers Infinity War, having a freeze right at the point of Thanos pulling the crystal out of Vision's head. Anyone else having that issue?

Thanks
Pat
Congrats on the purchase - it is a solid player overall. As for your disc hiccup: Its fairly common with just about every player to have some issues here and there with random discs. Oddly, it seems that 4K titles and players are very picky about any smudges, fingerprints, like anything on the disc. Ive made a habit to gently wipe mine down frequently with a soft fiber cloth before playback. Maybe its just a mental thing or luck but any disc issues Ive had are pretty much gone these days. I didnt have many to begin with but I did experience what you did ocassionally.

Even if the disc is new out of the box doesnt mean it couldnt still have some little artifact on it. Sounds silly but it seems to be common. Make sure your firmware is also up to date as they are always tweaking things which can help minor playback issues. If by chance you have a second player you can try the disc there and confirm its not the disc which is also possible although unlikely. If you keep having issues and they are frequent then there is a problem and Id swap the player out if its still within the return period or get in touch with LG. Good Luck!

LG OLED65E6P, Samsung PN64H5000
LG UBK-90, Samsung UBD-8500K
Polk RTi Towers, STi surrounds
Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR

Last edited by RoadLizard; 01-04-2019 at 05:24 PM.
post #489 of 506 Old 01-04-2019, 01:08 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadLizard View Post
Congrats on the purchase - it is a solid player overall. As for your disc hiccup: Its fairly common with just about every player to have some issues here and there with random discs. Oddly, it seems that 4K titles and players are very picky about any smudges, fingerprints, like anything on the disc. Ive made ahabit to gently wipe mine down frequently with a soft fiber cloth before playback. Maybe its just a mental thing or luck but any disc issues Ive had are pretty much gone these days. I didnt have many to begin with but I did experienc what you did ocassionally.

Even if the disc is new out of the box doesnt mean it couldnt still have some little artifact on it. Sounds silly but it seems to be common. Make sure your firmware is alos up to date as they are always tweaking things which can help minor playback issues. If by chanc eyou have a second player you can try the disc there and confirm its not the disc which is also possible although unlikely. If you keep having issues and they are frequent then there is a problem and Id swap the player out if its still within the retrun period or get in touch with LG. Good Luck!
I'll second that sentiment about even new 4k discs being potentially problematic. I've also been cleaning discs before playing and usually it works. What is frustrating is that regular blu-rays work well even with smudges/scratches that are minor. I wonder if they'll be able to improve the players soon enough? Seems if they can't get a 4k disc to play equal to a blu-ray that the format is in trouble. I was watching the Incredibles 2, and the disc came with some small scratches because they sandwiched it against the Blu-ray. I had to switch to the digital copy midway because of skips. While I love the higher quality, I also am discouraged at how often I've had issues. Streaming is flawless every time (solid internet and iTunes helps), and most of my guests don't know the difference.
RoadLizard likes this.

Denon X4300H; Sony XBR75 900E; Definitive Technology RLS-II/DI 5.5LCR/DI 5.5R; NHT SW12
post #490 of 506 Old 01-05-2019, 01:14 AM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 32
If Im getting freezes on 3 layer discs (ready player one, interstellar, MI:6) is doing a warranty claim even going to present a solution/fix? Or is it just an inherent problem with player?

Has anyone done warranty service for this issue yet? Did it resolve your problems?
post #491 of 506 Old 01-05-2019, 08:12 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 5621 Post(s)
Liked: 7931
^ There ARE fixable player faults which can be responsible for this. For example a laser subassembly that's out of spec. But a lot of the problem with 3-layer discs is that the studios are still figuring out how to make them correctly.

In addition, be sure you've tried a Clean The Disc pass before you give up on a disc. For more info, see my Blog post here:

Quick Tip: Suffering Individual Disc Playback Freezes? Clean The Disc!

--Bob
atfree and parkman like this.

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #492 of 506 Old 01-05-2019, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sal.d View Post
I bought my player the end of May and it has performed flawlessly until the last several weeks. Had major problems with Mama Mia Here We Go Again and actually exchanged the disc. New disc was better but still froze different places at different times. Schindler's List froze one time and was easy to restart, now Gladiator froze once but had to completely restart (turned off player, etc. and then had to go to Scenes to find the place I left of). Very disappointed with this machine now, it's a shame because the picture quality is absolutely amazing. I'm actually thinking of trying to return the player if possible.
A brief addendum, it seems that it the BD100 discs that freeze, all the others are fine. I would hope LG would be able to update a fix to this.
post #493 of 506 Old 01-05-2019, 12:24 PM

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Posterization

I am having a weird issue with this player. It doesn't happen a lot but enough to be annoying. Occasionally playing UHD films Blade Runner 2049 for example I'm presented with extreme posterization. This can be seen in the scene where Officer K lands in the farm. The cloudy sky has pink lines and hard edges. Almost like the color bit depth dips well below 8 bit. Turning off the unit and back on fixes the issue and get a nice smooth transition between the clouds. Not sure what is the cause for this I get DV and HDR10 to play fine. Might try another HDMI cable but wondering if anyone has run into this? I'm using a 2018 LG OLED.
post #494 of 506 Old 01-05-2019, 12:51 PM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
^ There ARE fixable player faults which can be responsible for this. For example a laser subassembly that's out of spec. But a lot of the problem with 3-layer discs is that the studios are still figuring out how to make them correctly.

In addition, be sure you've tried a Clean The Disc pass before you give up on a disc. For more info, see my Blog post here:

Quick Tip: Suffering Individual Disc Playback Freezes? Clean The Disc!

--Bob

Ya, Ive made sure even my brand new discs are cleaned. And its only BD100s that freezing. I guess Ill just file a support ticket with LG and see if they can determine if its something they can resolve. Not looking forward to not having my player for a few weeks though.
post #495 of 506 Old 01-05-2019, 07:41 PM

I was bothered by the CEC on the UBK90 but could not turn it off at the receiver as it is needed for ARC from the TV to work. Considered the lindy adapter but the price a ripoff. So taped pin 13 on the hdmi cable going in the back of the UBK90. Presto, all problems solved for $0.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
post #496 of 506 Old 01-07-2019, 06:06 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by guho View Post
I was bothered by the CEC on the UBK90 but could not turn it off at the receiver as it is needed for ARC from the TV to work. Considered the lindy adapter but the price a ripoff. So taped pin 13 on the hdmi cable going in the back of the UBK90. Presto, all problems solved for $0.

you could detail it better how do I pin 13 in Bluray Player, have to open the device, you could do a little tutorial, would help many with this problem of CEC.
post #497 of 506 Old 01-10-2019, 07:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepiecesfit View Post
I am having a weird issue with this player. It doesn't happen a lot but enough to be annoying. Occasionally playing UHD films Blade Runner 2049 for example I'm presented with extreme posterization. This can be seen in the scene where Officer K lands in the farm. The cloudy sky has pink lines and hard edges. Almost like the color bit depth dips well below 8 bit. Turning off the unit and back on fixes the issue and get a nice smooth transition between the clouds. Not sure what is the cause for this I get DV and HDR10 to play fine. Might try another HDMI cable but wondering if anyone has run into this? I'm using a 2018 LG OLED.
I have seen this happen like once or twice in my 6+ months of ownership. Quick pixelation but then mine always started to play again afetr the brief hiccup. Just one of those "things". As we know, keeping the discs perfectly clean/wiped is the best thing you can do but it appears that these 4K players/discs are quite finnicky.

Overall, my UBK-90 has been pretty good though. It plays everything I throw at it(blu-ray/DVD/UHD) without much trouble. That still doesnt explain the random weirdness though!

Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
post #498 of 506 Old 01-10-2019, 08:02 AM

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadLizard View Post
Quote:
I have seen this happen like once or twice in my 6+ months of ownership. Quick pixelation but then mine always started to play again afetr the brief hiccup. Just one of those "things". As we know, keeping the discs perfectly clean/wiped is the best thing you can do but it appears that these 4K players/discs are quite finnicky.

Overall, my UBK-90 has been pretty good though. It plays everything I throw at it(blu-ray/DVD/UHD) without much trouble. That still doesnt explain the random weirdness though!
I have read somewhere else that if you turn off hdmi deep color off and on fixed the issue. It’s some sort of HDR glitch. I was going to replace my hdmi cable see if it helps at all.
post #499 of 506 Old 01-10-2019, 10:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have read somewhere else that if you turn off hdmi deep color off and on fixed the issue. It’s some sort of HDR glitch. I was going to replace my hdmi cable see if it helps at all.
Oh? Interesting. As for HDMI cables, they can and often do make a difference. The nice thing is that you do NOT have to spend a bunch of money to get really good ones. If your cables are even slightly older than Id refresh them with some new units. I think its worth it! I believe Im using a brand at Amazon I found called Kable-Direct or something like that. They have different angle options for connection so thats uselful too. Like 90 degree, 270 degree, etc. They seem well made and fit nice and snug which I believe is key. Very wallet friendly too

Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
post #500 of 506 Old 01-11-2019, 10:49 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Does the UBK90 allow you to disable Dolby Vision and just play the HDR10 on a disc with Dolby Vision? As I just learned, my LG TV has an ongoing firmware issue with Dolby Vision that essentially means it's broken for HDMI, so I can only watch HDR10. The Sony x700 allows you to disable Dolby Vision and force HDR10 but that player is giving me issues of its own so it's probably going back and I'm considering my other options. I know the Philips doesn't allow you to disable it - if the disc has Dolby Vision it's forced and you can't disable it.

Last edited by jerimiah; 01-11-2019 at 10:54 AM.
post #501 of 506 Old 01-11-2019, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmilano View Post
you could detail it better how do I pin 13 in Bluray Player, have to open the device, you could do a little tutorial, would help many with this problem of CEC.
Pin 13 of the hdmi cable connector covered by tiny sliver of tape.

http: goo dot gl /images/v8u1wG

Last edited by guho; 01-11-2019 at 11:24 AM.
post #502 of 506 Old 01-12-2019, 07:14 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerimiah View Post
Does the UBK90 allow you to disable Dolby Vision and just play the HDR10 on a disc with Dolby Vision? As I just learned, my LG TV has an ongoing firmware issue with Dolby Vision that essentially means it's broken for HDMI, so I can only watch HDR10. The Sony x700 allows you to disable Dolby Vision and force HDR10 but that player is giving me issues of its own so it's probably going back and I'm considering my other options. I know the Philips doesn't allow you to disable it - if the disc has Dolby Vision it's forced and you can't disable it.
The UBK90 does not allow you to disable Dolby Vision. The Sony UBP-X700 allows this. I also have the LG UH8500 series tv with the same Dolby vision problem. I use the Sony player and watch all my Dolby Vision disks in HDR10. Not the best solution but makes them watchable.
jerimiah likes this.
post #503 of 506 Old 01-12-2019, 07:50 AM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerimiah View Post
Why not try to find a generation 1 player that isn't Dolby Vision equipped: the Philips 7501 or the Sony X800 or any Samsung UHD player, for example. They'll play the HDR layer because that's all they can recognize.
jerimiah likes this.
post #504 of 506 Old 01-13-2019, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flickpal View Post
Why not try to find a generation 1 player that isn't Dolby Vision equipped: the Philips 7501 or the Sony X800 or any Samsung UHD player, for example. They'll play the HDR layer because that's all they can recognize.
I have the LGUP970 and disable the DV on the Onkyo TX-RZ720.
post #505 of 506 Old 01-16-2019, 09:18 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmilano View Post

I have the ubk90, Nakamichi 9.2 and LG C8 with a harmony remote and it frustrates me to no end when the player turns on and the inputs switch. I would be interested in how you went about taping this. The link to your picture is broken.
post #506 of 506 Old Yesterday, 10:24 AM

Quote:

Thank you for your response, I tried to cover with a tape, but I could not avoid the CEC, I bought Lindy HDMI CEC Less Adapter, I am waiting to arrive here in Brazil, to test.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players