1514Likes

post #2311 of 2383 Old 01-10-2019, 06:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbdred View Post
I just purchased the X700, when I plugged.it in it immediately went out and grabbed the latest firmware so I know it's current. I noticed the other day that the x700 would not respond to remote and for that matter the power on button on the unit itself. I had to unplug and plug it back in and it would power on and work again. Thought it was just a fluke. Few days later kids told me that wifi was down so I started looking into that I found that the entire network including hard lines devices as well. After a couple hours of troubleshooting I narrow it down to hard lined devices in my family room entertainment center. Low and behold the x700 was in that "locked up" state in which it will not power on or work. I unplug the network jack to the x700 and like 10 seconds later the entire network is up again...wtf. Naturally I exchange the x700 for a new one cause this one is super flakey. I plug in new player all is well again....until this morning again i wake up to find wifi down. First thing i do is go to x700 and sure as ***** its locked up. I unplug power this time and once again 10 seconds later network is back up. I think there is something seriously wrong with the firmware on these units. I had an LG UBK90 plugged in previously and hit no issues. I suspect this issue will not occur if I hook up x700 via wifi. Anyone seeing this issue?
I'm having this same problem. I bought a TCL Roku TV and this player on Monday. I had no issues with Wifi before. Now, I get random disconnects from the internet on all devices. I've woken up the past two mornings to find no internet connection. A reboot of the router fixes the problem each time. I was blaming the TV. Maybe it is the Sony. I'll disconnect the Sony from the internet to see if that fixes the problem. I have all the apps I need on the TCL so I'll only reconnect the Sony BD player if there is an update.

My setup: TCL 4K 65" R617 w/ Sony UBP-X700, Tivo Bolt 4k, Sony HT-NT5 Soundbar w/ rear wireless speakers. TCL 4K 43" S405 w/ Sony UBP-X800, Tivo Mini 4k and Vizio Sound stand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2312 of 2383 Old 01-10-2019, 07:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 911 Post(s)
Liked: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by priitv8 View Post
Not all TVs engage 3D mode when 4K signal is received. Sony is consistently disabling even manual selection via menu. Bravia needs to receive 1080p for 3D.
Then my assumption that the re-encoded 3d MKV is of 1080 since the Sony auto engages the 3d right away without any manual intervention...

Sony 75xZ9D connected to Sony x700 UHD player
Sony 75x900e (Retired)
Sony 55xA1E (Bedroom)
Sony 75x940e (Returned :-( bad motion blur)
Sony 55x930d (Retired)
post #2313 of 2383 Old 01-10-2019, 07:57 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 25
A little help with setup please

I just purchased an LG C8 and then got the Sony X700. first I tried connecting it through the receiver ( Yamaha Aventage RX A1010) that I have had probably for 8 years or so. could not get the on screen setup to appear. Then I searched and found somewhere not sure where that since its a non 4K receiver I needed to run the HDMI 1 out directly into one of the TV's HDMI ports. Also to run the HDMI 2 audio out into my receiver which I did. I have no signal when I access the HDMI port on the tv and could not get the on screen menu for the player. I tried every one of the HDMI other than the ARC HDMI which the receiver is connected to along with the sony apple 4k and a Nintendo switch. I don't have it connected to a cable box because I just don't watch much cable and this tv is mainly for movies, streaming and some gaming. I then took the player down to my 3 year old Sammy JS8500 (I think) and connected it via an HDMI and was immediately recognized and set up no problem. Can anyone help? What am I missing or doing wrong? I am using a high speed HDMI cable from monoprice that's probably 2 or 3 years old. Thanks to all who respond.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2314 of 2383 Old 01-10-2019, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrippe View Post
Quote:
I just purchased the X700, when I plugged.it in it immediately went out and grabbed the latest firmware so I know it's current. I noticed the other day that the x700 would not respond to remote and for that matter the power on button on the unit itself. I had to unplug and plug it back in and it would power on and work again. Thought it was just a fluke. Few days later kids told me that wifi was down so I started looking into that I found that the entire network including hard lines devices as well. After a couple hours of troubleshooting I narrow it down to hard lined devices in my family room entertainment center. Low and behold the x700 was in that "locked up" state in which it will not power on or work. I unplug the network jack to the x700 and like 10 seconds later the entire network is up again...wtf. Naturally I exchange the x700 for a new one cause this one is super flakey. I plug in new player all is well again....until this morning again i wake up to find wifi down. First thing i do is go to x700 and sure as ***** its locked up. I unplug power this time and once again 10 seconds later network is back up. I think there is something seriously wrong with the firmware on these units. I had an LG UBK90 plugged in previously and hit no issues. I suspect this issue will not occur if I hook up x700 via wifi. Anyone seeing this issue?
I'm having this same problem. I bought a TCL Roku TV and this player on Monday. I had no issues with Wifi before. Now, I get random disconnects from the internet on all devices. I've woken up the past two mornings to find no internet connection. A reboot of the router fixes the problem each time. I was blaming the TV. Maybe it is the Sony. I'll disconnect the Sony from the internet to see if that fixes the problem. I have all the apps I need on the TCL so I'll only reconnect the Sony BD player if there is an update.
Maybe leave the network cable plugged in and the next time you see this issue just go to the x700 and see if it will power on with button. If it does not I pretty much guarantee that's the problem from there you can disconnect power or network cable from x700 and I'll bet your network comes back up.
post #2315 of 2383 Old 01-10-2019, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pm dureska View Post
I just purchased an LG C8 and then got the Sony X700. first I tried connecting it through the receiver ( Yamaha Aventage RX A1010) that I have had probably for 8 years or so. could not get the on screen setup to appear. Then I searched and found somewhere not sure where that since its a non 4K receiver I needed to run the HDMI 1 out directly into one of the TV's HDMI ports. Also to run the HDMI 2 audio out into my receiver which I did. I have no signal when I access the HDMI port on the tv and could not get the on screen menu for the player. I tried every one of the HDMI other than the ARC HDMI which the receiver is connected to along with the sony apple 4k and a Nintendo switch. I don't have it connected to a cable box because I just don't watch much cable and this tv is mainly for movies, streaming and some gaming. I then took the player down to my 3 year old Sammy JS8500 (I think) and connected it via an HDMI and was immediately recognized and set up no problem. Can anyone help? What am I missing or doing wrong? I am using a high speed HDMI cable from monoprice that's probably 2 or 3 years old. Thanks to all who respond.
I have an LG C8 now and have not experienced this issue. I would try a different HDMI cable to to rule it out. You also might want to resync the hdmi handshake between the devices. Disconnect hdmi cables from x700 and C8. Power off and disconnect power from c8 and x700. Wait 5 minutes. Power on both devices. Hook up hdmi cable between x700 and c8.
pm dureska likes this.
post #2316 of 2383 Old 01-10-2019, 11:39 AM

Quote:
I have an LG C8 now and have not experienced this issue. I would try a different HDMI cable to to rule it out. You also might want to resync the hdmi handshake between the devices. Disconnect hdmi cables from x700 and C8. Power off and disconnect power from c8 and x700. Wait 5 minutes. Power on both devices. Hook up hdmi cable between x700 and c8.
I don't know if was the resynced handshake or the "borrowed" HDMI cable from my new XBOX ONE X but the setup screen popped right up and I connected another HDMI cable to AUdio out HDMI port on the player and routed it to my receiver and BOOM! Lovely surround sound!!! Thank you so much! Now I just need those new cables I ordered yesterday to arrive.
post #2317 of 2383 Old 01-10-2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pm dureska View Post
Quote:
I don't know if was the resynced handshake or the "borrowed" HDMI cable from my new XBOX ONE X but the setup screen popped right up and I connected another HDMI cable to AUdio out HDMI port on the player and routed it to my receiver and BOOM! Lovely surround sound!!! Thank you so much! Now I just need those new cables I ordered yesterday to arrive.
Cool. Glad I could help. I have Amazon basic hdmi cables now, but I just ordered a bunch of slim certified premium hdmi cables them from monoprice the other day.
post #2318 of 2383 Old 01-10-2019, 12:50 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by calessi View Post
I experienced something similar to this directly after buying and connecting the player--after obtaining an automatic IP configuration, the player's apps would connect on the network and would stream properly, but I could not obtain a firmware update from Sony.

I've since updated its firmware by using a USB stick; maybe next time around the update will proceed smoothly. I don't know if the issue was due to a transient problem with Sony's servers, or what the issue might have been.
My unit updated the firmware just fine with the auto settings, it's just the Prime app would play videos. Every other app I tried worked (Netflix, Vudu, Youtube) just not Prime. Once I manually set the DNS servers, everything works. May be say kind of network "glitch" in the firmware, but it was annoying as hell.

Display: Vizio P55-E1l Pre-processor: Marantz 7703; Amps: Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 1, H/K AVR 520 (direct in to amps); Front ends: X-box 1 S, Technics 1200 Mk II, Windows 7 PC for digital; Phono Preamp: Emotiva XPS-1; Speakers - LR: Philharmonic BMR LR, Center: Emotiva Airmotiv C2; Surrounds: Atlantic Technology 251s; Rear Surrounds: AR 208v; Atmos: assorted hodge podge; Subwoofers: dual Rythmik L22s
post #2319 of 2383 Old 01-10-2019, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Cool. Glad I could help. I have Amazon basic hdmi cables now, but I just ordered a bunch of slim certified premium hdmi cables them from monoprice the other day.
yes, those are the ones I ordered as well because yesterday I had the sneaking suspicion my problem was a cable issue especially when I tried several different cables.
post #2320 of 2383 Old 01-11-2019, 10:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked: 247
I popped Grease in last night on my new x700 and the player sounded like it was about to spin apart it was spinning so loudly. First time I heard this since I got the player for Christmas. If I skip ahead a chapter the sounds cuts in half and if I skip another chapter, it's silent. If I go back a chapter, it's just as loud again. Forward again and it's quiet. If I skip to the last couple chapters, the noise kicks right back in again.

So how common is this noise issue with spinning some discs? Does the x800 have the same issue? I don't want to have to worry about random discs being unplayable due to noise issues. Why does it only make that loud spinning sound in the first 2 and last 2 chapters? I have to make a decision by this evening if I will be keeping the x700 or returning it. I sit only about 8-10 feet away from the player. I can't ignore it. It sounded like it was going to take off it was so loud. All other discs have been quiet but I can't worry about random discs acting up in this player.

It also froze on me last week as I was pausing/unpausing/going back and forth quickly with a disc, testing settings. It became completely unresponsive and I had to unplug the player to unfreeze it.
post #2321 of 2383 Old 01-11-2019, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerimiah View Post
I popped Grease in last night on my new x700 and the player sounded like it was about to spin apart it was spinning so loudly. First time I heard this since I got the player for Christmas. If I skip ahead a chapter the sounds cuts in half and if I skip another chapter, it's silent. If I go back a chapter, it's just as loud again. Forward again and it's quiet. If I skip to the last couple chapters, the noise kicks right back in again.

So how common is this noise issue with spinning some discs? Does the x800 have the same issue? I don't want to have to worry about random discs being unplayable due to noise issues. Why does it only make that loud spinning sound in the first 2 and last 2 chapters? I have to make a decision by this evening if I will be keeping the x700 or returning it. I sit only about 8-10 feet away from the player. I can't ignore it. It sounded like it was going to take off it was so loud. All other discs have been quiet but I can't worry about random discs acting up in this player.

It also froze on me last week as I was pausing/unpausing/going back and forth quickly with a disc, testing settings. It became completely unresponsive and I had to unplug the player to unfreeze it.
I have had this player freeze on me a few times like you explained. I have also had lock up and not even power on when it was off which causes all kinds of wonkyness on my network for whatever reason. I reached out to Sony support but all I got was some canned bs response for things to do that I already did. At this time I am not a huge fan of this player. I need Dolby Atmos and Vision so units to buy are a bit scarce.
post #2322 of 2383 Old 01-11-2019, 12:43 PM
Advanced Member

I spent the last hour on the phone with Sony over the loud spinning with Grease and spoke with their highest technical department. She was unfamiliar with any compatibility issues with that particular title and this player.

I did remember that Grease had an exchange program, so I had the original disc still tucked away. So I took that out and played it, and it had the same exact issue at the first 2 chapters and the last 3. So something about this title and this player in particular for me.

I love the player otherwise, but this makes me wonder if this player doesn't like Paramount discs, or just this title, or if I can expect this on random discs. This is the only Paramount title I own so I can't try any other Paramount discs.

I think I'll swap it out for a replacement tonight as this is my last chance to return it to Best Buy. This will let me rule out if it's just this particular unit or if it's a problem with x700's in general. I don't want to give up on this player yet because this seems to be one of the only players currently that lets me disable Dolby Vision and force HDR10 if I want, which is important to me because as I learned my LG TV has a firmware issue that handles Dolby Vision very poorly with wonky brightness fluctuations, so I need to be able to disable Dolby Vision. Most players seem to force it if the disc has it which is stupid for this reason.
post #2323 of 2383 Old 01-11-2019, 01:13 PM
Advanced Member

So now I'm really confused.

I just threw in Alien Covenant to see how loud that spun, and it sounded exactly like Grease since the factory reset - getting close to the player you can hear the disc spinning faster and louder in the first couple chapters, then running silent through the rest of the film, until the last couple chapters, where it spins faster and louder again.

Tried E.T. and The Dark Crystal and the same thing - spins faster/louder in the first couple chapters than goes silent. Westworld TV series doesn't - it spins silent right from the beginning. I watched Alien Covenent last weekend and certainly didn't hear the kind of noise in the beginning as I did with Grease last night, so it may spin louder/faster on some discs in the beginning/end, but it's not noticeable from across the room. With Grease it was insanely loud. Now it's much quieter after the factory reset.

So what does all this mean? Is it normal for this player to spin faster/louder on some discs at the beginning and end of the disc, yet spin silent in the middle?

Last edited by jerimiah; 01-11-2019 at 01:21 PM.
post #2324 of 2383 Old 01-11-2019, 02:40 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 8427 Post(s)
Liked: 5319
Quote:

I just threw in Alien Covenant to see how loud that spun, and it sounded exactly like Grease since the factory reset - getting close to the player you can hear the disc spinning faster and louder in the first couple chapters, then running silent through the rest of the film, until the last couple chapters, where it spins faster and louder again.

Tried E.T. and The Dark Crystal and the same thing - spins faster/louder in the first couple chapters than goes silent. Westworld TV series doesn't - it spins silent right from the beginning. I watched Alien Covenent last weekend and certainly didn't hear the kind of noise in the beginning as I did with Grease last night, so it may spin louder/faster on some discs in the beginning/end, but it's not noticeable from across the room. With Grease it was insanely loud. Now it's much quieter after the factory reset.

So what does all this mean? Is it normal for this player to spin faster/louder on some discs at the beginning and end of the disc, yet spin silent in the middle?
I've had this happen from some titles with every UHD BD player I've owned since the format launched. If it happened on one player it did the same thing on my other players. Just that some players were still quieter than others. But they were louder than their normal at the first few chapters, while the disc seemed to be spinning at max speed.
jerimiah likes this.

53TB unRAID2--45TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #2325 of 2383 Old 01-11-2019, 03:06 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi everyone,

I’ve been having an issue with this player that I cannot explain. I have the UHD player sending sound to an Onkyo receiver and video straight to my Sony X900F. I noticed early on that there was quite a bit of video delay when playing blu rays and watching Netflix, so I set my receiver to correct by 100ms. However, when I watch Youtube videos audio/video are perfectly in sync at the original 0ms setting.

Can someone help me with this? Is there a setting on the player that I’m overlooking? If possible I would like to keep the delay at 0ms and have all content played by the UHD player be synced properly.
post #2326 of 2383 Old 01-11-2019, 06:27 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

Were you playing The Dark Crystal and Alien Covenant 4K versions? I played both without any issues before. Just to make sure I have played them again. The result is the same, there are not any issues to report. I bought the X-700 last May and I have played mostly SciFi and action titles(all 4K) along with a handful of regular blu rays. I don't have any issues to complain about.

My only suggestion for those of you having problems is to register the serial numbers and submit them to Sony. If they check into a batch maybe they can pinpoint any or the problems.
Let's hope for the best.

Last edited by Transistorious; 01-11-2019 at 06:31 PM.
post #2327 of 2383 Old 01-11-2019, 10:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoFGC View Post
Hi everyone,

I’ve been having an issue with this player that I cannot explain. I have the UHD player sending sound to an Onkyo receiver and video straight to my Sony X900F. I noticed early on that there was quite a bit of video delay when playing blu rays and watching Netflix, so I set my receiver to correct by 100ms. However, when I watch Youtube videos audio/video are perfectly in sync at the original 0ms setting.

Can someone help me with this? Is there a setting on the player that I’m overlooking? If possible I would like to keep the delay at 0ms and have all content played by the UHD player be synced properly.

I've been struggling myself with audio sync issues with my old receiver (a Yamaha). My new setup is sending audio and video both through HDMI so this might not apply to you. I just got a new Onkyo for Christmas, and I learned that for audio sync to work properly over HDMI, you need to do the following:

- The TV output to the receiver needs to be ARC enabled. Not all sets support Arc over every HDMI output. Be sure you're using and ARC HDMI output

- Enable ARC in your TV settings. For LG sets the option is in the audio settings menu. I have to set my LG to "Sound out: Audio Out (Optical/HDMI Arc)"

Be sure auto sync is enabled in your Onkyo receiver. So far, this has worked for me but I've only just gotten everything together int he past couple weeks. We'll see how it goes but so far so good.

I'm not sure this will help though if you're sending the sound separately over a different HDMI cable. Maybe somebody else can confirm?
post #2328 of 2383 Old 01-11-2019, 11:12 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omni009 View Post
Do you have any issues with audio sync/delay? I ask because I have an X700 going out to a Yamaha (a 383) to my LG B7 and I have to set the delay to about 210 ms or more just to get the audio right, and at this point along with the occasional disk skipping issues I'm seriously considering trying to solve my issues by just getting a different player.

I have really bad sync issues with DV on. Though this seems to be the fault of the TV taking time to process the DV content creating some video lag while my receiver is outputs the sound with almost no lag.

I'm also having trouble using the HDMI 2 for audio. I get no sound until I out the HDMI out cable from my receiver. So I'm currently sending A/V to the TV and using optical out from the TV to the receiver. But this does not work when the disc has only DTS audio because the TV does not pass that through :/ So when I have a DTS disc, I have to change the settings of the player to send HDMI audio out from 2, pull out the video out cable from the receiver, adjust the audio delay to sync up, and only then can I watch my movie. I hate it, but what other BluRay player can one find with these features and at this price? Guess I'm stuck with this thing.
post #2329 of 2383 Old 01-11-2019, 11:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I'm thinking of purchasing the X700. I've been reading that this player freezes up on movies that are on triple layered 4k discs from Warner Brothers and Paramount. Is this true?
post #2330 of 2383 Old 01-12-2019, 02:24 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:

Have you tried washing the discs as was described in previous posts?
This spinning nouse means drive is unable to lock in on CLV speed. So I’d say it has optical trouble of finding the track on disc.
If cleaning disc does not help, then I'd seek a service or replacement of that drive.
mjwagner likes this.

Last edited by priitv8; 01-12-2019 at 02:30 AM.
post #2331 of 2383 Old 01-12-2019, 04:34 AM

Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Some Dolby Vision MP4 REMUX were showing a green tint when I was playing them directly to my LG oled 2016 TV
I ordered a sony x700 and I wonder if it will show this green tint too
Has anyone got a lg 2016 oled and a sony x700 so he can test this?

Let's go OLED and never go back LCD!
Proud LG C6 owner.
post #2332 of 2383 Old 01-12-2019, 06:59 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 8427 Post(s)
Liked: 5319
Quote:
This spinning nouse means drive is unable to lock in on CLV speed. So I’d say it has optical trouble of finding the track on disc.
If cleaning disc does not help, then I'd seek a service or replacement of that drive.
Certain parts of a disc spin faster than others. This is normal on every UHD BD player I've owned when playing back UHD BD titles. I only know the titles I've noticed this occur, happen with every UHD BD player I've used. Everytime in the first few chapters of the disc.There were never any issues playing those titles back. I can take one of those titles right now and my four UHD BD players I currently own will all behave the same way in those first few chapters, where it seems to be spinning at Max speed.

Sent from my Nexus 7(16GB) using Tapatalk

53TB unRAID2--45TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #2333 of 2383 Old 01-12-2019, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lok3sh View Post
I have really bad sync issues with DV on. Though this seems to be the fault of the TV taking time to process the DV content creating some video lag while my receiver is outputs the sound with almost no lag.

I'm also having trouble using the HDMI 2 for audio. I get no sound until I out the HDMI out cable from my receiver. So I'm currently sending A/V to the TV and using optical out from the TV to the receiver. But this does not work when the disc has only DTS audio because the TV does not pass that through :/ So when I have a DTS disc, I have to change the settings of the player to send HDMI audio out from 2, pull out the video out cable from the receiver, adjust the audio delay to sync up, and only then can I watch my movie. I hate it, but what other BluRay player can one find with these features and at this price? Guess I'm stuck with this thing.
Let's go ABC, literally. ABC means Airway, Breathing and Circulation. Let's take the TV first since it is the easiest. The optical digital output is used to get sound from the TV broadcasts such as OTA channels or the streaming channels therefore you will get 5.1 lossy audio.
If it was my setup I make sure the TV HDMI inputs are properly assigned. Next I check the AVR HDMI inputs are also properly assigned. Also to activate the optical input if used. I will only state to check or employ proper HDMI cables.
Finally I have used my X-700 through two different Onkyo AVRs without any issues. The main difference between AVRs is the ability of the newest one to deliver Dolby Atmos and DTS:X. Just to reinforce my point I have the X-700 with the split method: HDMI video to TV and Audio HDMI out to the AVR-no issues. I have a second bluray player the OPPO BDP-103 connected the same way a sthe X-700. Finally, I have a third bluray player the OPPO BDP-83 which is connected to the AVR. Keep in mind the BDP-83 has ONLY one HDMI output for both audio and video. Guess? I do NOT have any audio nor video issues, either. KISG: ¡Keep It Simple Guys!
post #2334 of 2383 Old 01-12-2019, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lok3sh View Post

While using DV adds a few ms to my lag time, I have it with this player no matter what. Regular blu rays I have to add approx 145 ms to be in sync. UHDs need between 200 and 240 ms to get there. I've narrowed it down pretty much to this player. I also have an Apple TV going into my HDMI 2 with optical going out that has some smaller sync issues, but only on some content, which is weird. But it's nothing like the massive lag I get from the X700. That's why I was thinking about getting a new player.

post #2335 of 2383 Old 01-12-2019, 10:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kage View Post
I'm thinking of purchasing the X700. I've been reading that this player freezes up on movies that are on triple layered 4k discs from Warner Brothers and Paramount. Is this true?

I watched Close Encounters start to finish and that's a triple-layered disc, with multiple branching spots for the different versions of the film, and it played flawlessly. But I think that's a Sony disc.
post #2336 of 2383 Old 01-12-2019, 11:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Brand new player - got it for Christmas. Brand new disc - inspected it out of the case and not a spec of dust or scuff.

Maybe some drives struggle with certain discs for whatever reason? I tried the x700 with 2 different copies of Grease 4k - it had a replacement program due to a botched scene, so I have both discs. Both spun louder in the first 2 chapters and last 2. But since I moved the player it's quieted down a lot. Most discs are silent. Some spin faster and a bit louder at the inner and outer edges (1st and last couple chapters). Grease was the worst.
post #2337 of 2383 Old 01-13-2019, 03:05 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Brand new player - got it for Christmas. Brand new disc - inspected it out of the case and not a spec of dust or scuff.
So? You may assume they are pristine and flawless. But that’s just assumption.
I am referring to posts in this and oppo forums, did not invent it myself.

http://watershade.net/wmcclain/UDP-2...-will-not-play

http://afterconvert.com/forum/150-b...-4k-discs.html
mjwagner likes this.
post #2338 of 2383 Old 01-13-2019, 12:30 PM

Quote:
So? You may assume they are pristine and flawless. But that’s just assumption.
I am referring to posts in this and oppo forums, did not invent it myself.

http://watershade.net/wmcclain/UDP-2...-will-not-play

http://afterconvert.com/forum/150-b...-4k-discs.html
You say assumption, I say random, hello? Without getting too Websterian random simply means a few in a bunch. Do we agree? Give me a few seconds to explain. I'll go back as far as using the old LPs. Yes, I literally washed down and rinsed a few LPs. I did the same with a few CDs. Again add DVDs followed by laserdiscs and maybe a 4k disc or two.
Are you ready for chapter two? Since we are talking DVDs, let's go there. My first DVD players were Pioneer and my first OPPO the DV981H to DV983. Then I moved to Panasonic as my first blu-ray player. Followed by the OPPO BDP-83 and finally the OPPO BDP-103. I missed out on the UDP-203. My 4k player is the Sony UBP-X700.
My point is, it happens randomly. I contest you making your point into the "law of gravity" because you quote two different links.
No Sir, I don't buy it.
post #2339 of 2383 Old 01-13-2019, 01:42 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transistorious View Post
You say assumption, I say random, hello? Without getting too Websterian random simply means a few in a bunch. Do we agree? Give me a few seconds to explain. I'll go back as far as using the old LPs. Yes, I literally washed down and rinsed a few LPs. I did the same with a few CDs. Again add DVDs followed by laserdiscs and maybe a 4k disc or two.
Are you ready for chapter two? Since we are talking DVDs, let's go there. My first DVD players were Pioneer and my first OPPO the DV981H to DV983. Then I moved to Panasonic as my first blu-ray player. Followed by the OPPO BDP-83 and finally the OPPO BDP-103. I missed out on the UDP-203. My 4k player is the Sony UBP-X700.
My point is, it happens randomly. I contest you making your point into the "law of gravity" because you quote two different links.
No Sir, I don't buy it.
The point that was trying to be made was that their are many posts indicating that random disk play issues have been solved by cleaning brand new, first opened, never used discs that appeared to be perfectly clean. It has happened to me on a couple of brand new 4k Blu-ray disks. It has nothing to do with visible dirt. Some have speculated that it has something to do with residue from the manufacturing process. Whatever the root cause, cleaning the disks that I had the random issues with solved the problem for me and others. That might not solve the problem for you but it has for me and others as reported here.

Mark
post #2340 of 2383 Old 01-13-2019, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwagner View Post
The point that was trying to be made was that their are many posts indicating that random disk play issues have been solved by cleaning brand new, first opened, never used discs that appeared to be perfectly clean. It has happened to me on a couple of brand new 4k Blu-ray disks. It has nothing to do with visible dirt. Some have speculated that it has something to do with residue from the manufacturing process. Whatever the root cause, cleaning the disks that I had the random issues with solved the problem for me and others. That might not solve the problem for you but it has for me and others as reported here.
Your point is NOTED. By the same token do not make it the "law of gravity." I also thank you for reinforcing my point by using the word random so eloquently.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players