got the player delivered today, took the past hour or so to do some quick A-B testing against UP970. Sony on top, LG on bottom (with the pause sign on upper right). Same HDR settings on C6 upchanged, same settings on Denon receiver unchanged, swapped the same hdmi cable between players, pics taken (crushed) by same iphone SE camera with no additional image adjustment, top-bottom processed (crushed) by the same photo app with no additional adjustment. tested a few scenes from Earth: one amazing day, Pacific Rim, Warcraft, Westworld season 1, all in HDR10, some of the discs are mastered in DV, but can't see them yet without DV support.
Picture quality looked pretty equal, to me. If there were more pronounced differences in in-person PQ before being crushed by iphone, nothing really stood out to me. but if you have better suggestion "you gotta test the scene at xx:xx:xx mark, it's dead giveaway!" I'm all game...
* I don't pretend to own a pair of eagles-eye equipped by videophiles, average at best, I could very well not see the differences when it's right in front of me, keep that in mind.
So, between the two, I prefer Sony, based entirely on personal preferences:
1. Better UI, even though x700's UI isn't superb, it's decent and good enough compares to UP970's aesthetic that take you right back to early-2000s-dot-com-era, this is purely personal taste. (actually my favorite UI is philips 7502's, by what I have seen)
2. X700 offers a lot more finer settings adjustment options, to which, others do legitimately appreciate UP970's ease-of-use with less options to mess with.
3. More useful streaming apps. UP970 has 2: netflix and youtube, X700 has in addition: vudu and amazon prime, basically the only ones I care about. I can get dd+ atmos out of the Vudu app (no HDR yet as mentioned by others) as of now, assuming (big if) Vudu will update once DV-firmware has been delivered to the player, that would finally trump streaming from my TV (DV, yes; Atmos, no ARC support). Will I eventually get the coveted HDR and Atmos combo through various streaming apps with X700? big if, if these app developers will follow-through, but I have better chances with X700 since the apps are here at least to begin with.
4. smaller form factor. love it, opens up just enough shelf space for me to place another gadget I've planned for. slight better built quality by touch, but nothing of significance.
Everything else are all about the same:
1. both are waiting for DV firmware, judging by current HDR10 pq, hard to say how much of a difference future-DV pq will be, that's basically within the realm of force majeure...
2. didn't pay too much attention to audio, Atmos is there, DTS-X is there, nothing of significant difference jumped out at me playing the same discs.
3. USB playback is also all the same, tried with my USB drive with atmos/dts-x demos: just like UP970, X700 won't play TrueHD audio wrapped in MKV container, dd+ atmos in mp4 is fine, TrueHD in m2ts is fine, DTS-X wrapped in MKV is fine.
4. 3D for both players, pq appeared very similar to me as well.
My little quickie is only intended to serve the average consumers deciding between the 2 players
LG OLED C6
Denon X4300h 5.1.4 setup
Sony UBP-X700 (no longer waiting for DV)
Last edited by ian c 2; 01-31-2018 at 08:37 AM.