• 1 Post By lionsfan
  • 1 Post By electrictypo
  • 1 Post By electrictypo

post #1 of 25 Old 12-03-2017, 11:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question Magnavox MBP6700P 4K Ultra HD Blu-Ray Player? (No Price Talk)

The reason I ask is because the Magnavox MBP6700P seems to check off the specs for a 4K Blu Ray player. It has HDR 10, Dolby Digital Plus 7.1, DTS 7.1 It's not a "smart" blu ray player with various services/apps which I don't need since the 4k Samsung KS8500 TV has the apps. I know Magnavox used to be considered a great brand back in the old tech days when VCRs and CRT TVs existed, I know that Philips bought them and they're now considered an ok/budget brand. Just wanted to know if anyone has owned one or if there are any reviews for it? I wasn't able find any online reviews anywhere and Best Buy has none from any customers who may have bought one. FYI I have a Samsung KS8500 TV so I know it supports only HDR 10 and not Dolby Vision, also I am using a Onkyo TX-NR555 receiver for my components.

Last edited by teachsac; 12-07-2017 at 03:04 PM. Reason: Removed Price Talk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 12-04-2017, 12:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludawg94 View Post
The reason I ask is because the Magnavox MBP6700P seems to check off the specs for a 4K Blu Ray player and it's currently going for 79.99 at Best Buy. It has HDR 10, Dolby Digital Plus 7.1, DTS 7.1 It's not a "smart" blu ray player with various services/apps which I don't need since the 4k Samsung KS8500 TV has the apps. I know Magnavox used to be considered a great brand back in the old tech days when VCRs and CRT TVs existed, I know that Philips bought them and they're now considered an ok/budget brand. Just wanted to know if anyone has owned one or if there are any reviews for it? I wasn't able find any online reviews anywhere and Best Buy has none from any customers who may have bought one. FYI I have a Samsung KS8500 TV so I know it supports only HDR 10 and not Dolby Vision, also I am using a Onkyo TX-NR555 receiver for my components.
It sure looks like a rebadged Philips 5502, except:

-it doesn't have an optical out (from glancing at the manuals and internet images)
- it doesn't do 3d
-remotes are slightly different (primarily just rearranged buttons)

The manuals are virtually identical in layout. I'd consider this a low end player. It may do the job, but don't expect much more.
Ludawg94 likes this.
post #3 of 25 Old 12-04-2017, 10:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcgr View Post
It sure looks like a rebadged Philips 5502, except:

-it doesn't have an optical out (from glancing at the manuals and internet images)
- it doesn't do 3d
-remotes are slightly different (primarily just rearranged buttons)

The manuals are virtually identical in layout. I'd consider this a low end player. It may do the job, but don't expect much more.
Thanks! I don't have a need for 3D and I'm ok with the audio pass through HDMI. I did see that the Philips one plays more video formats than the Magnavox does. I will really think hard about getting it and trying it out. I have a couple of UHD movies Logan, Galaxy Vol 2, Wonder Woman and Cars 3. Some times you do get what you pay for but good to see to compare to the Philips one which is their low end model.

Last edited by teachsac; 12-07-2017 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Removed Price Talk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 Old 12-04-2017, 10:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked: 1247
It looks like the 5502 also includes a second HDMI port, for audio only. It also has an Ethernet port. The Magnavox seems to have no network capability at all (unless you count USB).

The Magnavox MBP6700P looks like a very stripped model. It may be a perfectly fine UHD BD player.

later: My mistake. It has an Ethernet port, right next to its sole HDMI port.

Last edited by bobknavs; 12-05-2017 at 10:42 AM.
post #5 of 25 Old 12-04-2017, 11:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobknavs View Post
It looks like the 5502 also includes a second HDMI port, for audio only. It also has an Ethernet port. The Magnavox seems to have no network capability at all (unless you count USB).

The Magnavox MBP6700P looks like a very stripped model. It may be a perfectly fine UHD BD player.

It does have Ethernet connector in the back and the player supports BD-Live discs. The photos just show the front of the player.
post #6 of 25 Old 12-05-2017, 10:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked: 1247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludawg94 View Post
It does have Ethernet connector in the back and the player supports BD-Live discs. The photos just show the front of the player.
You're correct.

I checked the manual, but somehow I missed the Ethernet port.
post #7 of 25 Old 03-11-2018, 12:08 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobknavs View Post
You're correct.

I checked the manual, but somehow I missed the Ethernet port.
I just bought one and the quality is great! Is is very striped down. It will read network devices but only plays pictures and music.
post #8 of 25 Old 05-15-2018, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBonney View Post
I just bought one and the quality is great! Is is very striped down. It will read network devices but only plays pictures and music.
I just got one and agree that it is bare bones but it does what it promises well. If you have streaming covered, this will play discs. Period. I was looking for a cheap player and this plays 4K discs (which I don't have yet) for less than some of the 1080 players I saw.

The buttons on the remote are super tiny. Going to manage this with my Harmony....

Last edited by gnk1; 05-15-2018 at 12:22 PM. Reason: add a sentence
post #9 of 25 Old 05-19-2018, 11:08 AM

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnk1 View Post
I just got one and agree that it is bare bones but it does what it promises well. If you have streaming covered, this will play discs. Period. I was looking for a cheap player and this plays 4K discs (which I don't have yet) for less than some of the 1080 players I saw.

The buttons on the remote are super tiny. Going to manage this with my Harmony....
Did you get your harmony to control it? I had issues with face buttons not responding. I added the player to my 3 harmony remotes and none of the face buttons worked, did the teach funtion and still couldn't get it right.

Last edited by HD KOOL-AID; 05-19-2018 at 11:16 AM.
post #10 of 25 Old 05-19-2018, 01:14 PM

I had no issues with the device but did have issues with missing/inactive buttons on the "Play a Movie" activity that I set up to include the Blu-ray player. I was able to solve it by customizing the buttons for the activity using the instructions at this link. I am new to the Harmony but this was the only activity I had which had a lack of buttons I could initially use.

http://support.myharmony.com/en-us/...he-harmony-app
post #11 of 25 Old 05-20-2018, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnk1 View Post
I had no issues with the device but did have issues with missing/inactive buttons on the "Play a Movie" activity that I set up to include the Blu-ray player. I was able to solve it by customizing the buttons for the activity using the instructions at this link. I am new to the Harmony but this was the only activity I had which had a lack of buttons I could initially use.

http://support.myharmony.com/en-us/...he-harmony-app
Thanks i just thought the player wasn't in the database yet. I will re-sync see if it helps.
post #12 of 25 Old 05-20-2018, 05:28 PM

LOL are we the only few that got the player. About five months and 10 plus posts.
gnk1 likes this.
post #13 of 25 Old 05-22-2018, 11:35 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I got this a couple of months ago on a best buy deal of the day. Needed a new blu ray player for a new 4K tv, had a Samsung dual hddvd/blu ray player that the hdmi port went out and could only use component. New TV only has HDMI ports. Works great did not need a smart player as new TV has roku
gnk1 likes this.
post #14 of 25 Old 05-25-2018, 05:30 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I just brought this player. Are there any picture settings (i.e., movie/cinema, standard, etc.,)?

Also, is there a firmware update for this player. I didn't see anywhere on their webpage for firmware updates.

Thanks!
post #15 of 25 Old 05-25-2018, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elove View Post
I just brought this player. Are there any picture settings (i.e., movie/cinema, standard, etc.,)?

Also, is there a firmware update for this player. I didn't see anywhere on their webpage for firmware updates.

Thanks!
i did not see any picture setting. i plugged the ethernet into player it did not find any updates. I didn't find anything on firmware updates either on website.
post #16 of 25 Old 05-25-2018, 10:04 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Bought this today to complement my new 4K HDR TV along with a UHD copy of the Last Jedi. Very impressed with the 4K output compared to the standard Blu Ray side by side on the PS4. This simple player is exactly what I needed, as the TV has Roku system with all the smart streaming channels I will ever need, and the other devices like Raspberry Pi can play any digital file I can throw at them, so I didn't need any of those features in the player.

Last edited by rajendra82; 05-30-2018 at 08:26 PM.
post #17 of 25 Old 05-26-2018, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajendra82 View Post
Bought this today to complement my new 4K HDR TV along with a UHD copy of the Last Jedi. Very impressed with the 4K output compared to the standard Blu Ray side by side on the PS4. This simple player is exactly what I needed, as the TV has Roku system will all the smart apps I need, and the other devices like Raspberry Pi can play any digital file I can throw at them, so I didn't need any of those features in the player.
I agree - it fills that niche for those of us who don't need it to do anything but play discs. Just watched 4K Gladiator, which looked and sounded great.

Last edited by gnk1; 07-11-2018 at 11:34 AM.
post #18 of 25 Old 12-02-2018, 08:55 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Amazing!

I also bought one new for around the first of the year. I was aware it had no built in Wi-Fi. I was also aware from reviews that the first thing needed was to do the firmware update online. I just hooked my spare powerline Trendnet adapters and a cable to the unit. It did the update no issues. It is an excellent player and tiny for what it does. It also talks and while weird at first, I like it now. Tiny remote and tiny unit that performs like a giant. Great player for the money. I have one 4k disc so I use it primarily for a growing collection of Blu-Ray I'm buying for a couple of bucks each, some still sealed.

I'm looking now to get another Magnavox for our bedroom to replace the very large wide LG player in there now, and relegate the old LG Blu-Ray to the guest room.

I saw a Sanyo that looked identical to the Magnavox, but costing more for the name. I never got into BD Live as it never worked for me.

For a good quality 4k player and upscaler you can't go wrong with it. I see the day coming when disc's go the way of the LP, with purists paying premium to hang in there. Like fossil fueled vehicles, some will hang on even though the ICE age is over. (ICE=Internal Combustion Engine)
post #19 of 25 Old 12-02-2018, 10:24 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 8427 Post(s)
Liked: 5319
??? Fossil fuel vehicles account for over 99% of all sales. Electric is still a drop in the bucket. As long as it stays extremely expensive, it will never be with the masses. Now if they could get the price down below $15K, then it would really take over. But at the current 130% to 700% of that price, it is way out of reach for the vast majority of people on the planet.

Sent from my Tab S 10.5 using Tapatalk

53TB unRAID2--45TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #20 of 25 Old 12-09-2018, 11:36 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
??? Fossil fuel vehicles account for over 99% of all sales. Electric is still a drop in the bucket. As long as it stays extremely expensive, it will never be with the masses. Now if they could get the price down below $15K, then it would really take over. But at the current 130% to 700% of that price, it is way out of reach for the vast majority of people on the planet.

Sent from my Tab S 10.5 using Tapatalk
I think you may have posted a reply meant for another thread than this one by accident.
aaronwt likes this.
post #21 of 25 Old 12-09-2018, 11:46 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 2
So, I just bought this player at Best Buy on Friday, and so far, it does exactly what is expected: play 4K UHD Blu-Ray discs in HDR. And the lack of smart features, such as Youtube or Netflix, is refreshing. Previous players that I've had have been too slow when running those apps to be usable. All I needed was to play those discs that I have, and nothing else. For those who already have Smart TVs or streaming boxes like the Roku, this is the perfect addition to the 4K Ready Home Theater.
aaronwt likes this.
post #22 of 25 Old 12-10-2018, 02:27 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 8427 Post(s)
Liked: 5319
Quote:
Originally Posted by electrictypo View Post
I think you may have posted a reply meant for another thread than this one by accident.

53TB unRAID2--45TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #23 of 25 Old 12-20-2018, 08:41 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 65
how does the picture quality compare to the xbox one x for disc playback?
post #24 of 25 Old 12-29-2018, 09:28 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I bought this player around December 15th and have been loving it. All I needed was a 4k UHD player. No need for smart features as my Samsung 4k TV already has that covered. Extremely easy to setup and does what it says it will do-upscale DVDs and Blu-rays + plays 4ks. Very happy with a low cost player!

Chad Billheimer rocks as a ISF Calibrator for Ohio.
Roller Coaster season is upon us. Proud member of American Coaster Enthusiasts (ACE) Woodies Rule!
post #25 of 25 Old 01-03-2019, 11:28 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When this player worked, it was great! I love the small footprint, the barebones menu, as well as UHD, Blu-ray and DVD quality. With that said, I've been plagued with the common audio/video freezing on both my units.

Has anyone been able to find a fix for this freezing? My first player played two discs fine before the freezing began, and continued after it was updated. My second unit has the freezing right off the bat, and even more frequent. I have not updated this second unit so will try that out tomorrow. I don't know the origin of my currently used HDMI cables, but they look like quality ones I've purchased from monoprice a few years back... Could the cables also be the issue?

Any help is appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players