Forum Jump: 
 22Likes

post #121 of 146 Old 07-06-2018, 09:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Which picture mode passes through the video untouched?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 146 Old 07-21-2018, 08:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by njfoses View Post
Which picture mode passes through the video untouched?
Wondering the same.

I've had this player for awhile, and the inability for it to save your picture setting choice is frustrating. Mine will even sometimes revert my user settings to default values.

Also, the default picture mode seems to oversaturate some reds when viewing rec709 material--has anyone else noticed this?
post #123 of 146 Old 07-24-2018, 08:43 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Bought the 875 a few days ago. Whenever I turn the unit on the disc tray opens. Is this normal or a defect? Is there a way to turn that feature off if it's supposed to happen?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 146 Old 08-02-2018, 09:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by vBlaine View Post
Bought the 875 a few days ago. Whenever I turn the unit on the disc tray opens. Is this normal or a defect? Is there a way to turn that feature off if it's supposed to happen?
I have an 870 and the tray does not open when I turn it on. I'm sure it is not supposed to happen because it would defeat the purpose of the players "resume play where you left off" function.
vBlaine likes this.

Karl S.
post #125 of 146 Old 08-02-2018, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
I have an 870 and the tray does not open when I turn it on. I'm sure it is not supposed to happen because it would defeat the purpose of the players "resume play where you left off" function.
It does seem like a defect, however, I'm outside of the return window and I'm not sure if getting it fixed is worth the effort.
post #126 of 146 Old 08-02-2018, 09:41 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 5621 Post(s)
Liked: 7931
Quote:
It does seem like a defect, however, I'm outside of the return window and I'm not sure if getting it fixed is worth the effort.
Are you using the normal player remote or a 3rd party, programmable remote? A programmable remote may be programmed to do a Play command immediately after power up. With an empty tray, some players will interpret a Play command as a command to open the Tray so you can insert a disc.

--Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #127 of 146 Old 08-02-2018, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
Are you using the normal player remote or a 3rd party, programmable remote? A programmable remote may be programmed to do a Play command immediately after power up. With an empty tray, some players will interpret a Play command as a command to open the Tray so you can insert a disc.

--Bob
I'm pretty sure it did this with both the universal remote and the original remote, but I will double check later.
post #128 of 146 Old 08-02-2018, 10:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
I'm pretty sure it did this with both the universal remote and the original remote, but I will double check later.

If pressing the power button on the actual player does not open the tray, then the problem is with the remote control.

Karl S.
post #129 of 146 Old 08-02-2018, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
If pressing the power button on the actual player does not open the tray, then the problem is with the remote control.
Good call. After trying to troubleshoot yesterday, I do remember turning the unit on with the power button and having the same problem, so it's definitely not the remote.
post #130 of 146 Old 08-05-2018, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I purchased a UP875 yesterday and I'm very impressed with this player. Here are my initial observations:
  • UHD HDR10 Blu-ray discs look awesome; did not have to recalibrate my LG TV, colors appeared accurate.
  • Excellent 4K upscaling; Superbit DVD and standard Blu-ray discs look great!
  • Excellent 24p video processing; flawless inverse telecine with no resolution loss. Verified with the Silicon Optix HQV benchmark Blu-ray.

I really like the fact that it can also play MPEG-2 transport streams! I had an episode of Lost from 2007 that I had originally recorded on a D-VHS HDTV recorder and burnt to a dual-layer DVD+R disc. The UP875 played it flawlessly!

I have other transport streams stored on BD-R discs that I haven't been able to play. I'll need to investigate further. I'm not sure at this point if its a BD-R issue or in one case, the use of the .m2ts file extension as opposed to the .ts file extension which played fine from a DVD+R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Fenderson View Post
Wondering the same.

I've had this player for awhile, and the inability for it to save your picture setting choice is frustrating. Mine will even sometimes revert my user settings to default values.

Also, the default picture mode seems to oversaturate some reds when viewing rec709 material--has anyone else noticed this?
I haven't noticed it with DVD or standard Blu-ray discs. However, when I played a MKV Blu-ray rip from an USB hard drive, I definitely noticed a red push that's not evident when playing the same file from my NVIDIA SHIELD which outputs Rec. 2020.

Quote:
That's not normal. Mine doesn't do that. Perhaps it's a firmware release issue?

Under Settings -> Others -> Software -> Information I see:

MAIN VER: BD.37226.70710.C
SERVO VER: UP17SON0016

Anyone know what the latest firmware version is?
post #131 of 146 Old 08-07-2018, 10:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I hear a regular ticking sound coming from my UP875 when playing DVDs. The ticks aren't that loud, but they're constant and spaced about 5-7 seconds apart. It sounds like the drive head is skipping from one sector to another on the disc. Has anyone else here noticed this ticking sound with their unit?

Aside from the ticking, I'm really not that impressed with this player. Colors have a decided blue push and look somewhat faded, the player resets to standard picture mode every time the unit is turned off and back on, and DVDs look awful unless the sharpness is set to a too soft setting of -3. I can get a decent picture by adjusting the color and sharpness settings on my TV, but my old Sony player still produces a better picture with no adjustments at all.
post #132 of 146 Old 08-07-2018, 10:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 777 Post(s)
Liked: 354
I haven't noticed a color difference at standard for Blu-Rays. I don't play DVDs for any reason and rarely play standard Blu-Rays (I dump everything and play them off KODI on an Nvidia Shield and upstairs a FireTV 4K). I got the player mostly for 4K output and 3D output. I see no color issues there. It does a great job down-converting 4K HDR to the standard spectrum and the extra video menu means I can actually make 3D a bit brighter than it could be alone. I did hear some noise with Grease 4K, but it went away after a minute or two. I did do the firmware update as soon as I got it. I heard it addressed at least "some" of the drive noises, but clearly it's not perfect. It sits 10 feet away so it's not very loud here regardless.

Click THEATER (Updated: Jan-16-2019) for pics: Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, 11.1.6 (Marantz SR7012 + Yamaha HTR-5960 + Onkyo ESPro) - Mixed Dialog Lift - PSB T45/B15/S50/X1T/CS500 Speakers & Def Tech PF-1500 15" sub; 2nd Room: 2018 55" QLED, Carver AL-III, Carver C-5 Sonic Holography Pre-Amp, Technics SH-AC500D, Carver TFM-35x Amp (Woofers), Yamaha M-45 Class A/AB Amp (Ribbons), Klipsch Surrounds ; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S, LD, GameCube
post #133 of 146 Old 08-11-2018, 06:19 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I was all ready to pick one of the UP870’s for my son to replace a Samsung C6900 he hates. Justed wanted something with stripped down features (but overall excellent) and sparse faceplate controls so it first appeared the 870 checked all the boxes.

All these little bugs, poor design, and reliability seem to be piling up. Do you guys still recommend this player?

Is there something that is similar in design and price you would recommend over the 870? He really doesn’t need 4K and mostly plays CD’s, DVD’s, and 2D Blurays. I think he also may have a Pal DVD or two.

Last edited by mccoady; 08-11-2018 at 07:34 PM.
post #134 of 146 Old 08-14-2018, 06:09 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Guess I need a firmware update. Today while watching Blade Runner 2049 on UHD Blu-ray, the movie froze at 1:58:21. Fortunately, it's not an issue exclusive to the LG UP875. Owners of other players have reported the same issue:
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread....96804&page=131
post #135 of 146 Old 08-15-2018, 05:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccoady View Post
I was all ready to pick one of the UP870’s for my son to replace a Samsung C6900 he hates. Justed wanted something with stripped down features (but overall excellent) and sparse faceplate controls so it first appeared the 870 checked all the boxes.

All these little bugs, poor design, and reliability seem to be piling up. Do you guys still recommend this player?

Is there something that is similar in design and price you would recommend over the 870? He really doesn’t need 4K and mostly plays CD’s, DVD’s, and 2D Blurays. I think he also may have a Pal DVD or two.
I bought an 870 the first of the year for a stupidly low price at Walmart.When I first plugged it in it made a terrible grinding sound,I was afraid I wouldn't be able to get my UHD disc out.It went back to LG twice before it was fixed.
The only reason I bought and kept it was the price.

I wouldn't recommend one unless the price is ridiculously low!
post #136 of 146 Old 08-15-2018, 07:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg35 View Post
I bought an 870 the first of the year for a stupidly low price at Walmart.When I first plugged it in it made a terrible grinding sound,I was afraid I wouldn't be able to get my UHD disc out.It went back to LG twice before it was fixed.
The only reason I bought and kept it was the price.

I wouldn't recommend one unless the price is ridiculously low!
There was a firmware update to address that on my 875 (if someone buys a new one, they should immediately do an update). Mine has made a bit of noise (not what I would call grinding, though) during the first two minutes of Grease 4K, but that was the only one so far.

Click THEATER (Updated: Jan-16-2019) for pics: Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, 11.1.6 (Marantz SR7012 + Yamaha HTR-5960 + Onkyo ESPro) - Mixed Dialog Lift - PSB T45/B15/S50/X1T/CS500 Speakers & Def Tech PF-1500 15" sub; 2nd Room: 2018 55" QLED, Carver AL-III, Carver C-5 Sonic Holography Pre-Amp, Technics SH-AC500D, Carver TFM-35x Amp (Woofers), Yamaha M-45 Class A/AB Amp (Ribbons), Klipsch Surrounds ; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S, LD, GameCube
post #137 of 146 Old 08-15-2018, 08:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumX View Post
There was a firmware update to address that on my 875 (if someone buys a new one, they should immediately do an update). Mine has made a bit of noise (not what I would call grinding, though) during the first two minutes of Grease 4K, but that was the only one so far.
That was the second thing LG support had me do.First was listen to the grinding sound.
post #138 of 146 Old 08-17-2018, 08:00 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccoady View Post

If you truly don't need 4k, I know you can find standard bluray players for <75. However, if you can get a good deal on this one why not add 4k for future proofing? I've had this for 3 months. The only issue I encountered was due to excessive heat (I had it on top of my xbox) that caused the signal to cut out. Once I moved it and replaced the cord I've had no issues. The fast load time is one of the major pluses. I also like that it has no display on the unit, as I wanted minimal light pollution.

I haven't used some of the other high recommendations like the Sony's, but my thought was I'd take this for half the price today and upgrade in a couple years when my regular bluray player for the other tv dies. I expect that most 4k players will be down to the ~100 range once 4k movies become the standard.

Denon X4300H; Sony XBR75 900E; Definitive Technology RLS-II/DI 5.5LCR/DI 5.5R; NHT SW12
post #139 of 146 Old 08-17-2018, 08:18 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoZags13 View Post
If you truly don't need 4k, I know you can find standard bluray players for <75. However, if you can get a good deal on this one why not add 4k for future proofing? I've had this for 3 months. The only issue I encountered was due to excessive heat (I had it on top of my xbox) that caused the signal to cut out. Once I moved it and replaced the cord I've had no issues. The fast load time is one of the major pluses. I also like that it has no display on the unit, as I wanted minimal light pollution.

I haven't used some of the other high recommendations like the Sony's, but my thought was I'd take this for half the price today and upgrade in a couple years when my regular bluray player for the other tv dies. I expect that most 4k players will be down to the ~100 range once 4k movies become the standard.

I decided to go ahead and pick up a UBK80 let's hope it's a good one!
GoZags13 likes this.
post #140 of 146 Old 08-18-2018, 09:24 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Stream from the network

Hi,
The manual mentioned that the DVD can play photo, video content from USB stick. But can the players stream content from the Lan through the ethernet connection ?
post #141 of 146 Old 08-18-2018, 09:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joboujp View Post
Hi,
The manual mentioned that the DVD can play photo, video content from USB stick. But can the players stream content from the Lan through the ethernet connection ?
Nope.

post #142 of 146 Old 08-25-2018, 10:44 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptelles View Post
I haven't noticed it with DVD or standard Blu-ray discs. However, when I played a MKV Blu-ray rip from an USB hard drive, I definitely noticed a red push that's not evident when playing the same file from my NVIDIA SHIELD which outputs Rec. 2020.
I should have added that same qualification, as I don't think I've actually watched any optical-disc rec709 content on the player, just content on a USB HDD as with you.
post #143 of 146 Old 09-07-2018, 07:36 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 5
I purchased the 875 a couple of months ago at Best Buy and had only watched one movie on it and wasn't really impressed it, purchased Game of Thrones Season 1 in 4k and sat down with it yesterday and watched the first episode and again wasn't impressed, resolution looked just like a regular blu-ray, then went into the settings and switched resolution from auto to 2160 and then the picture looked absolutely great in 4k with HDR, so for whatever reason the auto function doesn't work for me.
atfree likes this.
post #144 of 146 Old 09-20-2018, 12:17 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone else use this player with a Sony receiver? I have the STR-DH590 and as I understand it, I should be using the "Enhanced" signal format on the receiver (this is what I have to use with my PS4 to get all of the available resolution/HDR outputs), but when I activated enhanced mode last night, there was tons of digital noise all over the screen and then it just went black - would not come back until I switched the receiver back to standard format.

I will say, the discs look fantastic and my TV still says it's receiving a 4K/HDR signal, so I'm not even sure I'm missing something... it's just that the manual for the receiver says that I should be using Enhanced if I want to use "high bandwidth" signals (I think 4:4:4 is the right terminology?), and so it makes me wonder if something is not right.

LG OLED65B7P | Sony STR-DH590 | LG UP870 | PlayStation 4
post #145 of 146 Old 10-10-2018, 01:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked: 338
I received my All-Region UP870 last week. I think the only knock on this bird would be its build quality. Other than that, this thing has played everything I've thrown at it, even old avi. It plays everything my 103D played(USB drive and ABC blu ray regions), so I am stoked to say the least. I'm going to add a Darbee and see what happens. According to CNET, Their Performance review is as follows:

If you don't mind missing out on Netflix, you will appreciate two main things about the UP870: it's fast at spinning up discs and it makes them look great. The UP870 aced every test we flung at it, and its load times were particularly impressive.

If you want to watch your Blu-ray movie in the fastest possible time, then choose this LG. It squeaked past the next-fastest player we've tested, the Samsung UBD-K8500 ($178 at Walmart), in both the Mission Impossible III HD (9.36s) and the Batman vs Superman (21.2s) 4K loading tests. The UP870 insanely fast.

It's not just super quick, it's also capable of image quality that belies its budget price. It even passed a test the Oppo UDP-203 ($1,399 at Amazon) flunked (text overlays on film, though it's a condition you won't often encounter).

Whether it was translating the jaggy-filled pan over the rooftops in the Star Trek Insurrection DVD into a super smooth vista or bringing out the full detail and color palette of our Mad Max Fury Road test disc the LG performed exceptionally.

LG 65EF9500
LG 55EG9100
Samsung 60F8500
LG UP870 Multi-Region
Sony BDP-S5200 Multi-Region
post #146 of 146 Old 01-10-2019, 03:28 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So just got this player in fresh today on a open-box special ebay.

Wondering what the optimal settings are paired with my TV, more so what I should set on my TV.

I played around with it for about a half hour and not sure what to settle on.

My Samsung TV (4k and HDR compliant) has some Gamma settings that really change the picture drastically. It wants to default to ST.2084 when starting the player by default. Picture seems a bit dark on this gamma setting but the colors have better depth. However if I switch to BT-1886 the HDR seems to really kick in but then the colors get less in depth. Switching to Vivid on the LG itself helps make the color come out more. I havent tried the other users specific USER custom settings yet. Maybe this will put the extra icing on the picture using the previously suggested USER settings on the player itself.

As well from the LG player itself if I switch over to RGB color the colors really pop but seem like a bit much, and as well I lose some of the black levels. I guess I should leave it on YCbCr

BTW I manually set 2160p on the LG player and proper resolution and HDR are activated checking the info for my TV during playback...so that is OK. I might have my expectations confused coming from watching non 4k content with HDR and blu ray previously.

I have all the other various settings on my TV too tweaking the picture such as color tone warm/cool/natural, and contrast enhancer with off/low/high settings respectively. Should I tweak any of these settings or leave them off. I think I have the tone set to Warm1 to cut down on the blue light on the TV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players