post #31 of 146 Old 01-18-2018, 08:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlights View Post
So do any of the owners run it on 1080p display (preferably projection)? How does the BR image (or downscaled 4K image) compare to your previous BR 1080p only player?

I don't plan to upgrade my current 1080p projector anytime soon, but wouldn't mind picking up one of these instead of a regular BR player to replace my current 6 year old BR player. Second, my current setup uses a 40' run of HDMI cable to the PJ - would that be a problem with this player for 1080p content?
Quote:
Thanks again. My concern is the 40' HDMI cable I currently have running to my ceiling mounted pj. Not sure if this player will handle that...
I have a 50" LG plasma and a LG PF1500 1080p projector on a 106" screen. I've got a 3 foot cable from the UP870 to my receiver and a 50 foot Redmere HDMI from the receiver to the projector. Zero issue with handshake or anything in this setup. If you want I could switch the redmere to the player to test directly if you'd like, but I have zero doubts it will work fine (and I assume if you have a pj, you must have speakers and therefore a receiver anyway). I am not fully confident in the redmere cable for UHD though, it may not work, or maybe it will, don't know, but it works fine right now for 1080p (at 1080p RGB its not using any more bandwidth than my pc or previous bluray player, which was set to rgb 12bit/deepcolor)

I've been VERY happy with this player when connected to my 1080p pj. I did some comparisons of regular Bluray and UHD bluray on the pj. The UHD colors are noticeably better, more vivid and pop-y. There is also a subtle but noticeable sharpening compared to regular bluray that is very satisfying (to my eye, none of my friends would likely notice, but I am super picky about a/v quality, they can all watch movies on any screen, I absolutely cannot watch on any old tv and tv speakers). I am using RGB setting on the player, but I haven't done extensive testing to see the difference between RGB and YCBCR. My receiver reports it is receiving 36bit RGB from the player, so the player is automatically outputting at 12bit, presumably downscaling 2160p 10bit to 1080p 10bit and padding to 12bit (at least I hope thats what its doing, and that its not downscaling to 8bit and padding to 12bit). This is interesting since all my previous bluray players you had to set it to deep color to output 12bit but this LG does it automatically with no changeable setting available at all; it must detect the highest value possible for the display and send that, otherwise some displays that don't accept 12bit would show a black screen if it only ever sent 12bit, right? I know from extensive testing in the past with my htpc that the pj does a good job of accepting and displaying 4:4:4 RGB, but I don't think there is a way to test for sure if the LG player is properly downscaling 4:2:0 2160 to 4:4:4 1080, but if its not then I guess its better that I don't know or it would bug me, lol.

Overall I feel very satisfied with this slight but noticeable (to me) upgrade in PQ until UHD projectors are more affordable in a couple years. Whether its downscaling "properly" (4:4:4 10bit 1080p instead of 4:2:0 8bit 1080p) I don't know, but its good enough for now and it will all sort itself out when UHD projectors come down in price.

Funny sidenote: I hooked this up to a friends 4k tv just to test and when I tested the player outputting 1080p to a 2160p tv while playing a UHD bluray it looked just laughably bad. The process of downscaling UHD bluray to 1080p and then having the tv upscale it back to 2160p had some hilariously bad artifacting, just unwatchable for even a blind person. Rule #1 of Video: scale once and only once.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 146 Old 01-19-2018, 08:14 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus Dark View Post
I have a 50" LG plasma and a LG PF1500 1080p projector on a 106" screen. I've got a 3 foot cable from the UP870 to my receiver and a 50 foot Redmere HDMI from the receiver to the projector. Zero issue with handshake or anything in this setup. If you want I could switch the redmere to the player to test directly if you'd like, but I have zero doubts it will work fine (and I assume if you have a pj, you must have speakers and therefore a receiver anyway). I am not fully confident in the redmere cable for UHD though, it may not work, or maybe it will, don't know, but it works fine right now for 1080p (at 1080p RGB its not using any more bandwidth than my pc or previous bluray player, which was set to rgb 12bit/deepcolor)

I've been VERY happy with this player when connected to my 1080p pj..
Thanks. I picked up this player today from my local Walmart that had these on clearance sale for literally the price of a family meal at McDonalds. Will hook it up tomorrow to compare against my aging Panasonic BD 55K. I won't likely have much time to tinker with the settings but if you have any settings that you would like to share then I appreciate it.
post #33 of 146 Old 01-20-2018, 08:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Thanks. I picked up this player today from my local Walmart that had these on clearance sale for literally the price of a family meal at McDonalds. Will hook it up tomorrow to compare against my aging Panasonic BD 55K. I won't likely have much time to tinker with the settings but if you have any settings that you would like to share then I appreciate it.
the settings on the player are very simple. you might need to calibrate the tv a bit if you find the picture a bit dim on some UHD titles.

Jacob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 146 Old 01-22-2018, 05:30 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I finally got to play around with the player connected to my 1080p projector for a bit today. The images is good and its definitely worth more than the price I paid for it. I tried RGB and although that seemed to saturate colors it also appeared to crush the blacks a lot. I can tweak my projectors settings to mitigate that but is there any real advantage to using RGB over YCbCr with 1080p? The image looked very good to me with the default YCbCr setting with the John Wick-2 4k Disc...
post #35 of 146 Old 01-22-2018, 06:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I finally got to play around with the player connected to my 1080p projector for a bit today. The images is good and its definitely worth more than the price I paid for it. I tried RGB and although that seemed to saturate colors it also appeared to crush the blacks a lot. I can tweak my projectors settings to mitigate that but is there any real advantage to using RGB over YCbCr with 1080p? The image looked very good to me with the default YCbCr setting with the John Wick-2 4k Disc...
probably good idea to go with YCBCR settings.

Jacob
post #36 of 146 Old 01-24-2018, 07:29 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have HDR and dolby vision enabled on my lg b7a, but when I pop in John Wick it is not showing up that HDR is activated. When running other HDR contect it tells me in the top right hand corner that HLG or Dolby Vision has activated. Am I missing a setting on this player?
post #37 of 146 Old 01-24-2018, 09:13 PM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by treepop View Post
I have HDR and dolby vision enabled on my lg b7a, but when I pop in John Wick it is not showing up that HDR is activated. When running other HDR contect it tells me in the top right hand corner that HLG or Dolby Vision has activated. Am I missing a setting on this player?
I was having the same issue.

Has the other HDR/DV content been streaming only?

This was my first UHD player, so I didn't even realize that there's a setting on the LG OLED TVs for HDMI Ultra HD Deep Color that you have to turn on for each HDMI port that you intend to use a device that supports HDR in order for it to work. It's under Settings, General, HDMI Ultra HD Deep Color.

That fixed the problem for me.
post #38 of 146 Old 01-26-2018, 06:26 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I hadn't checked for a firmware update for this for a while, and noticed there was one available last night. I'm not home to provide the update number, but does anyone know what might have been changed/fixed with the release?
post #39 of 146 Old 01-26-2018, 09:12 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Using this player with Vizio M55-E0 and on display settings when playing an hdr movie it says hdr/no. When using netflix with dolby vision it says hdr/dolby vision. Is there a setting on player to turn hdr on?
post #40 of 146 Old 01-26-2018, 12:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I've had this player since late November and it's pretty decent player so far. I have a feeling this player will serve me good until I may eventually get my hands on the Oppo later on this year.

TV: LG 43UJ6300 4K HDR TV
Audio: Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 A/V Receiver (running 7.1 surround sound)
Player(s): LG UP875 UHD Blu-ray player and Amazon Fire TV 4K (2017 release)
Game console(s): Xbox One X
post #41 of 146 Old 01-27-2018, 05:46 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I picked up my UP870 recently and like just about everything about it. Just last night I finally got an Atmos ready receiver hooked up. But I bought it largely based on an online review I read somewhere that stated this will play MKV files rendered with Atmos. I prefer to not have to switch discs frequently and would rather play from a hard drive backup. But the circle just spins when I try to load any files with Atmos audio in them, even after hooking up the new receiver. Anyone run into this, or know of a solution? I did update the firmware to the latest version btw, and the files I'm trying to load test fine on a PC.

Thanks
post #42 of 146 Old 01-28-2018, 08:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Has anyone tried playing movies off a USB drive? All my movies are in VOB format. Although it does recognize VOB files and can play them individually it doesn't recognize the VIDEO_TS.IFO file to be able to play as a complete movie. So you have to select VTS_01_1.VOB initially and it will play the remaining VOB files except there will be an interuption between each one. I can convert it to an mkv file but then it will be too big to put on a fat32 formatted drive which is required by this device.
post #43 of 146 Old 02-01-2018, 08:36 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Does anyone know what the update does for this player? I called LG and they had no idea. The player is working fine now, I'm a little scared to rock the boat.
post #44 of 146 Old 02-03-2018, 08:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
While it's certainly not its primary function, I have to ask: has anybody actually tried either of these models with a PAL DVD or two (or a 50Hz BD for that matter)? After giving up my '51FD in a move a while back, I certainly wouldn't mind getting that capability back.

...and I need your sweet love, Latina T-Mobile girl!

post #45 of 146 Old 02-03-2018, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill C. View Post
While it's certainly not its primary function, I have to ask: has anybody actually tried either of these models with a PAL DVD or two (or a 50Hz BD for that matter)? After giving up my '51FD in a move a while back, I certainly wouldn't mind getting that capability back.
I own the Indicator UK release of The Last Detail where the BD is Region Free, and it also comes with a DVD, which is PAL. This player was able to play the DVD with zero issues whatsoever. Unfortunately, I don't have a BD with 50 Hz content to test. I asked if someone on another forum could check a region locked BD on this player and someone was kind enough to give it a try, but found that while it will play PAL DVDs, it will not play BDs that aren't Region A or Region Free.
post #46 of 146 Old 02-03-2018, 12:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y0giyahooeys View Post
I own the Indicator UK release of The Last Detail where the BD is Region Free, and it also comes with a DVD, which is PAL. This player was able to play the DVD with zero issues whatsoever. Unfortunately, I don't have a BD with 50 Hz content to test. I asked if someone on another forum could check a region locked BD on this player and someone was kind enough to give it a try, but found that while it will play PAL DVDs, it will not play BDs that aren't Region A or Region Free.
I found that out to be true..pal dvd works fine.
if its region 4 or other regions then no.

Jacob
post #47 of 146 Old 02-04-2018, 12:24 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Recently got this player and noticed that I have to reset the picture setting every time I put in a new disc. It saves my 'User' settings but reverts to 'Standard' with every disc. Does anyone know how I can set the player to always default to my user settings? Personally I give a crap about setting it every time because it takes just a few seconds but I got one as a present for a friend and I know they're not inclined to do it.
post #48 of 146 Old 02-05-2018, 02:03 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I had issues with Spiderman audio cutting in and out. After the update, I can confirm I no longer have that issue with Spiderman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennyblankobk View Post
Does anyone know what the update does for this player? I called LG and they had no idea. The player is working fine now, I'm a little scared to rock the boat.
post #49 of 146 Old 02-05-2018, 03:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by niembre View Post
I had issues with Spiderman audio cutting in and out. After the update, I can confirm I no longer have that issue with Spiderman.
I also had audio issues with spiderman and the new firmware fixed it.
glad to know that I was not the only one with the issue.
Jacob
post #50 of 146 Old 02-05-2018, 06:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by PastePotPete View Post
Recently got this player and noticed that I have to reset the picture setting every time I put in a new disc. It saves my 'User' settings but reverts to 'Standard' with every disc. Does anyone know how I can set the player to always default to my user settings? Personally I give a crap about setting it every time because it takes just a few seconds but I got one as a present for a friend and I know they're not inclined to do it.
I dont believe there is a way to do this. That said, there should be! Maybe they will fix this via firmware.
post #51 of 146 Old 02-13-2018, 07:35 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I am somewhat confused with my players hdr / Dolby vision on-screen indicators as well. I just bought the LG OLED b7 and am surprised that when I put in a 4k blu ray, there is no indicator of receiving hdr. I just spent an hour fiddling with settings to get the colors, contrast, and settings right to watch Batman Begins.

With all that being said, I never got BB to look as good as Netflix 4k Dolby vision programming. The player is running with HDMI through a newly purchased Sony STR DN 1080. Anybody experiencing similar issues?

Robert Christian Barger
post #52 of 146 Old 02-14-2018, 12:03 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So this player doesn’t support DV with the latest update?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #53 of 146 Old 02-14-2018, 07:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Looks like there is no way to force HDR. I have a JVC RS600 with a HDFury Linker inline, that disables the HDR flag so the projector can use the dynamic iris. Popped in a 4K BR last night but it looks it is not sending HDR nor the wide color gamut.

So, this must read that and send the resolution, but not HDR. Sound about right to anyone who has tinkered with this player a bit?
post #54 of 146 Old 02-14-2018, 01:59 PM

Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbtaw View Post
I am somewhat confused with my players hdr / Dolby vision on-screen indicators as well. I just bought the LG OLED b7 and am surprised that when I put in a 4k blu ray, there is no indicator of receiving hdr. I just spent an hour fiddling with settings to get the colors, contrast, and settings right to watch Batman Begins.

With all that being said, I never got BB to look as good as Netflix 4k Dolby vision programming. The player is running with HDMI through a newly purchased Sony STR DN 1080. Anybody experiencing similar issues?
This player is playing Dolby Vision content?
post #55 of 146 Old 02-14-2018, 05:15 PM

No..hdr. Dolby vision through netflix.

Robert Christian Barger
post #56 of 146 Old 02-15-2018, 08:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcramer View Post
Looks like there is no way to force HDR. I have a JVC RS600 with a HDFury Linker inline, that disables the HDR flag so the projector can use the dynamic iris. Popped in a 4K BR last night but it looks it is not sending HDR nor the wide color gamut.

So, this must read that and send the resolution, but not HDR. Sound about right to anyone who has tinkered with this player a bit?

I have the exact same projector and this player, but I am using a vertex. The vertex is showing that it is receiving 4K HDR and that HDR is Disabled going out (it is supposed to show this as I have to strip HDR meta, so I don't get Gamma D and the loss of the DI). I believe it is working as it should. It looks terrific when using Manni's latest 107 nit curves. I think all you would need to do is the same thing with the linker. What makes you think it isn't working? Does the linker not show that it is receiving HDR?
post #57 of 146 Old 02-16-2018, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbtaw View Post

Do you have HDMI Ultra HD Deep Color turned on specifically for the HDMI port you are using?

See my post from earlier:
http://afterconvert.com/forum/149-bl...l#post55564040
post #58 of 146 Old 02-17-2018, 02:33 PM

Yes, that function is turned on for that HDMI port. I tried watching Inception. It looked way better than Batman Begins in my opinion. Still not as good as Netflix or amazon with Dolby vision or hdr no matter what the settings.

Robert Christian Barger
post #59 of 146 Old 02-17-2018, 07:00 PM

Think I figured it out. It was the energy saver setting on the B7. Set to auto it was seriously degrading the picture quality.

Robert Christian Barger
post #60 of 146 Old 02-26-2018, 05:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Having an audio problem with the 875. Maybe im having a senior moment.

If I select dts-re encode My receiver, yamaha v677, plays 5.1.
I can only get 2.0 if I select PCM. I thought that PCM sends the uncompressed original audio to the receiver.

Am thinking the backwards?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players