8Likes

post #31 of 79 Old 03-08-2018, 05:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonyxbrlover View Post
I have just set up my M7500 and have yet to play a disc yet, but I was very happy to see that the Vudu app on this player plays both 4k and HDR!!
This was a pleasant surprise, as up to this moment Vudu's website did not list this device as supporting 4K and HDR, and the native Vudu app on my tv (Sony 900e) does not support either 4K or HDR, so all of my UHD purchased movies have only played out in 1080p to this point. I will double check the Netflix and Amazon apps shortly and report back. So far, I am very happy with this player, given the low price paid for it.
Same experience as me. Both Netflix and Amazon support 4K and HDR

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 79 Old 03-08-2018, 06:06 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hopkins View Post
Any idea is the M7500 or M8500 will output 4K60 4:4:4 HDR from streaming apps (Netflix, Amazon) in 4K24 4:2:2 for projectors like the Epson 4000/5040ub/6040ub? I have the K8500 which does so, but I'd be interested in upgrading to the M7500 or M8500 for the newer UI... but only if it will output streaming apps in 4K24 4:2:2.

Thanks in advance!
I have confirmed 4:2:2 is one of the selectable options for video output. However, I don't even know what 4:2:2 is, lol. Anyone care to enlighten me?

Also, I am watching John Wick on UHD disc, and I will say that it looks good overall, but there seems to be a strange effect in the background of some scenes (unfocused areas.) I don't know if this is a fault of the player or the disc. Certain objects in the background, like a chandelier, appear to have a double image, like watching 3D without the glasses. I don't know how else to describe it. I will watch The Martian later on to see if it is duplicated.

One thing that I have not found in the options is the ability to turn off upscaling, so one of my concerns is that when streaming 1080p or playing a 1080p blu ray disc that both the player and my TV will both be attempting to upscale to 4K. I have heard this is undesirable, so....not sure what to do about that.
post #33 of 79 Old 03-08-2018, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Williams View Post
Same experience as me. Both Netflix and Amazon support 4K and HDR

Yes, I was very happy with this nice surprise...I was all set to buy a Roku Ultra just to get all three apps to have 4K capability, and even then Vudu would not support HDR on Roku. So now I can skip the Roku and stream exclusively through the M7500 and get the added benefit of HDR on Vudu.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 79 Old 03-08-2018, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Yes, I was very happy with this nice surprise...I was all set to buy a Roku Ultra just to get all three apps to have 4K capability, and even then Vudu would not support HDR on Roku. So now I can skip the Roku and stream exclusively through the M7500 and get the added benefit of HDR on Vudu.
Yeah I have a chromecast ultra which doesn't work for vudu hdr. So I was really happy when I picked up this player. I have it running through my receiver and Netflix does some weird flashing changing screens sometimes. Only odd issue I have.

post #35 of 79 Old 03-09-2018, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Yeah I have a chromecast ultra which doesn't work for vudu hdr. So I was really happy when I picked up this player. I have it running through my receiver and Netflix does some weird flashing changing screens sometimes. Only odd issue I have.

I haven't experienced that yet, but I only watched a little bit of Netflix, mixing both 4K HDR and 1080p SDR content. I am also running it through my receiver. I will also confirm that the Youtube app supports 4k and HDR as well, bringing the total to 4 apps that support both 4K and HDR. So far I am very happy. I will say that the player is not very quick to disable the HDR after watching an HDR program though. When it goes back to the home screen all the colors remain pushed and the images on the menu look horrible, but I can live with that. I am also impressed with speed of the apps, everything seems pretty snappy, which is a huge improvement over my 900e's internal app environment, which is clunky to say the least.
Billy Williams likes this.
post #36 of 79 Old 03-09-2018, 05:11 AM

Yeah did you set all the display stuff in the player menu to auto? I think it may be my receiver. It was one of the first to pass through HDR so I think it's a little picky

post #37 of 79 Old 03-09-2018, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Yeah did you set all the display stuff in the player menu to auto? I think it may be my receiver. It was one of the first to pass through HDR so I think it's a little picky

Yes, almost everything is set to Auto, with the exception of Deep Color, which I turned on, but then later went back and turned it off. I was watching Iron Fist on Netflix which was HDR, then switch to The Office (1080p SDR) and either the player or the tv failed to turn off HDR initially, so the picture was horrible. So I turned off Deep Color, thinking that might have been the cause. But now I am not sure, as I think that either the TV or the player can sometimes fail turn off HDR mode right away. Do you use Standard picture mode, or Movie or Custom?

My receiver is also a little bit older, so it doesn't have any 4K or HDR logos on them but just as I was about to replace it, I looked it up and found that it does pass through 4K and HDR, but I had to turn that mode on in the advanced settings.
post #38 of 79 Old 03-09-2018, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Yes, almost everything is set to Auto, with the exception of Deep Color, which I turned on, but then later went back and turned it off. I was watching Iron Fist on Netflix which was HDR, then switch to The Office (1080p SDR) and either the player or the tv failed to turn off HDR initially, so the picture was horrible. So I turned off Deep Color, thinking that might have been the cause. But now I am not sure, as I think that either the TV or the player can sometimes fail turn off HDR mode right away. Do you use Standard picture mode, or Movie or Custom?

My receiver is also a little bit older, so it doesn't have any 4K or HDR logos on them but just as I was about to replace it, I looked it up and found that it does pass through 4K and HDR, but I had to turn that mode on in the advanced settings.
Yeah I have a pioneer receiver. It's great but something about the display color space changes that Netflix does just on this player trips it up. But it's not bad all the apps working in one place have made it worth it.

I have it on cinema home with some specific settings for everything.

post #39 of 79 Old 03-09-2018, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Yeah I have a pioneer receiver. It's great but something about the display color space changes that Netflix does just on this player trips it up. But it's not bad all the apps working in one place have made it worth it.

I have it on cinema home with some specific settings for everything.

Are you referring to your TV settings? I only saw Standard, Movie, and Custom as the three options in the player's picture settings.
post #40 of 79 Old 03-09-2018, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Are you referring to your TV settings? I only saw Standard, Movie, and Custom as the three options in the player's picture settings.
I was referring to the TV sorry. I use the standard one I think on the player

post #41 of 79 Old 04-05-2018, 06:23 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I've had this player now for three weeks and I'm quite content with it.

Played 12 UHD, 7 BR's and 2 DVD'S with it, with no problems whatsoever.

Just a straight forward no nonsense player for a very reasonable price.
post #42 of 79 Old 04-06-2018, 05:06 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I got this player about when it came out back in Novermber and have been very happy with the picture but still have and audio problem. I've got an old Sony receiver that only has dolby digital and the main reason I bought this player was for its ability to convert DTS to Dolby. It does it fine but when I turn off the unit or switch blu-rays I have to go back into the settings and mess with the conversion options and then it will work again. I am not even sure what the warranty is on this thing but if it is still under it then I guess I will either send it back or get another one.

Sony 55X900E, Sony STR-DE635, Sony PS3, Samsung UBD-M7500
Samsung LN46D630
post #43 of 79 Old 04-22-2018, 06:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 493
Can anyone comment on the reliability of this player?

I need a new BD player that will be used mostly to play rental BDs and DVDs. This is for a second system (just BD player and TV) we use for most of our casual watching. My current old model Pioneer 320 is really finicky with less than perfect discs and some titles don’t work (no firmware updates are available anymore). So I’d like something up to date that can handle rental discs.

I’ve narrowed my choices to this player and the Sony S6700. Both players have their share of negative reviews on Amazon, but I don’t see anything better.

post #44 of 79 Old 04-23-2018, 08:02 AM

I really like mine. I have no issues with it and I use it for vudu and Netflix.

post #45 of 79 Old 04-23-2018, 02:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I really like mine. I have no issues with it and I use it for vudu and Netflix.

Thanks.
post #46 of 79 Old 04-29-2018, 09:08 AM

Liked: 5
Firmware update?
Hello. Just bought the player couple of days ago. I don’t have a wired connection to my player so how do I update the firmware. Some people say there is an update (1109?) but I don’t see any updates you can download to USB on Samsung support.
What is your latest firmware, please?
Do you have a link to USB update download?
Thanks

Last edited by Milan254; 04-29-2018 at 11:14 AM.
post #47 of 79 Old 04-29-2018, 11:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan254 View Post
Firmware update?
Hello. Just bought the player couple of days ago. I don’t have a wired connection to my player so how do I update the firmware. Some people say there is an update (1109?) but I don’t see any updates you can download to USB on Samsung support.
What is your latest firmware, please?
Do you have a link to USB update download?
Thanks
Like you, I don’t have a wired connection for the player. According to the manual I downloaded, the player can be updated via USB thumb drive.

I didn’t see any updates available on the website, so I contacted Samsung via the chat feature and was told my firmware, 1105, is current. I was given this link for future use.

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/2017-4k-ultra-hd-blu-ray-player-ubd-m7500

You mentioned some say the current version is 1109? Can anyone confirm this?
post #48 of 79 Old 04-29-2018, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn94 View Post
Like you, I don’t have a wired connection for the player. According to the manual I downloaded, the player can be updated via USB thumb drive.

I didn’t see any updates available on the website, so I contacted Samsung via the chat feature and was told my firmware, 1105, is current. I was given this link for future use.

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/o...ayer-ubd-m7500

You mentioned some say the current version is 1109? Can anyone confirm this?
Well that is not true. I just talked to a friend of mine who has the player and connected to internet and the
player updated to 1109 yet for USB download it is not there. I also talked to Samsung and they gave me the same story
like you. No update, so go figure that one, nevertheless the update is there if you have a connection
He took a jpg from the player but I just don't know how to insert the jpg here.

Last edited by Milan254; 04-29-2018 at 03:07 PM.
post #49 of 79 Old 04-29-2018, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Well that is not true. I just talked to a friend of mine who has the player and connected to internet and the
player updated to 1109 yet for USB download it is not there. I also talked to Samsung and they gave me the same story
like you. No update, so go figure that one, nevertheless the update is there if you have a connection
He took a jpg from the player but I just don't know how to insert the jpg here.
OK I am trying to insert the photo maybe it will work
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Player.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	2397152  
post #50 of 79 Old 04-29-2018, 03:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
OK I am trying to insert the photo maybe it will work
Thanks for the confirmation.

Why in the heck would they not make it available on their website?
post #51 of 79 Old 04-29-2018, 05:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I temporarily hooked up my M7500 in my main system where I have a wired hookup available, and sure enough the player updated to 1109.

It’s strange Samsung doesn’t make it available on the website and disappointing that when you contact them they tell you 1105 is the current firmware (obviously it isn’t!).

Is this the kind of service I can expect from Samsung?

post #52 of 79 Old 04-30-2018, 08:24 AM

Quote:
I temporarily hooked up my M7500 in my main system where I have a wired hookup available, and sure enough the player updated to 1109.

It’s strange Samsung doesn’t make it available on the website and disappointing that when you contact them they tell you 1105 is the current firmware (obviously it isn’t!).

Is this the kind of service I can expect from Samsung?
I am sure they will post it eventually but it shows you, unless you go to level two technicians or higher the regular Samsung answering service is useless. At any rate I do love this player and I moved it like you to wired connection for the 1109 update but next time I’ll just wait until they post for USB download
post #53 of 79 Old 04-30-2018, 03:08 PM

Optical output adapter

I was looking to purchase this m7500 and wanted to use an optical to RCA plug adapter for my old stereo system.

However I read one review that the adapter I want on Amazon (cannot post) by Musou will not work with digital dolby output.

I cannot find anywhere what the optical output is for the M7500.

Can you tell me if the M7500 optical output is "digital dolby"?

Can you recommend a adapter?
post #54 of 79 Old 05-14-2018, 06:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I am sure they will post it eventually but it shows you, unless you go to level two technicians or higher the regular Samsung answering service is useless. At any rate I do love this player and I moved it like you to wired connection for the 1109 update but next time I’ll just wait until they post for USB download
There’s still no update available on the Samsung site. I’m wondering if they will ever make it available for download. How irritating.....

I guess I’ve just been spoiled by other manufacturers (Pioneer, Oppo).

post #55 of 79 Old 05-15-2018, 10:14 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Anybody having issues with their player freezing? Power button won't even work, literally have to unplug it.

Could this be due to firmware updates posted above?

__________________________________________________ _________________________

Aperion Audio Allaire - Saving my pennies to get the Verus Grands!
post #56 of 79 Old 05-15-2018, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManBarra View Post
Anybody having issues with their player freezing? Power button won't even work, literally have to unplug it.

Could this be due to firmware updates posted above?
I have the new firmware and no issues of any kind. No freezing or power button. I've played many movies since the update
and the player is perfect.
post #57 of 79 Old 05-15-2018, 10:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I’ve played a couple movies (BD) since updating with no issues.
post #58 of 79 Old 05-30-2018, 08:01 PM

Has anyone hooked up a keyboard to the M7500? Or used a remote with a keyboard?
post #59 of 79 Old 06-09-2018, 08:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
There’s still no update available on the Samsung site. I’m wondering if they will ever make it available for download. How irritating.....

I guess I’ve just been spoiled by other manufacturers (Pioneer, Oppo).
Still no update available on the website. At this point I don’t think Samsung has any intention of making updates available via the website.

post #60 of 79 Old 06-20-2018, 09:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
I figured out the issue. it seems that there is a setting to force streaming to 24hz instead of 60hz. I think the issue was that the Player was trying to sending a 4k 60hz 4:4:4 signal through my receiver to the TV.
i think the bandwidth requirement for that is too high so thats why it kept hiccuping. That would also explain why turning it to 4:2:2 fixed it and also why playing a disc was fine because that was already defaulted to 24hz. Just in case someone else has this issue. I can't imagine a reason to stream in 60hz since pretty much all movies are 24hz anyway.

Thanks for the post this is exactly what was happening with my VSX-933 dropping video and sound. Thought it was cables and everything else under the sun but the switch from 4.4.4 to 4.2.2 did the trick without any discernible loss of video or audio.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players