Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
Wow...

Given their huge capacities they almost certainly contain a hidden partition of some kind that's interfering with their detection. When it comes to device firmware updates, the smaller the USB pen-drive the better. Personally I use a 2GB model formatted to FAT32 or a 4GB model formatted to NTFS.

Cheers
Hi, those USB drives are detected by the OPPO, they are what I have always used. I just did a reset of the OPPO before trying the update, and now the update is being applied as normal. I haven't seen this behavior in the past, so this is a new one to me. Has anyone else seen an update fail without first doing a factory reset? I am going to do one again after the update and restore my settings.
Thanks for the replies from everyone,
Mark.

Sony XBR-A1E 77"; OPPO UDP-205; Sony UBP-X700; Apple TV 4K; miniDSP 2x4 HD; McIntosh MX122; McIntosh C50; McIntosh MEN220; McIntosh MC302; Mark Levinson No533H; Rotel RMB-1585; ATMOS 5.2.4: Wilson Maxx2[L/R]; Wilson Sophia2[SL/SR]; Wilson Watch Center[C]; Dual SVS SB16U [SW]; Revel C763[Top F & Top R pairs]. Sennheiser HD650; Clearaudio Concept Turntable; Auralic Vega; Sonore Rendu; Synology DS713+. And a mishmash basement 7.1 system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6182 of 6212 Old 01-01-2019, 09:42 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 5619 Post(s)
Liked: 7926
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmanner View Post
Hi Bob, I have downloaded the Dec. 28 beta update bin file, but, unlike in the past when doing beta updates, I now get a 'file corrupted' message when the player tries to read the update file. I have tried downloading several more times, and same result each time( used 2 different usb sticks too). Anyone else seen this behavior or have an idea?
Thanks
Mark
Turn off the player, unplug it from wall power. While still unplugged, press and hold Power button on the front panel for a couple seconds, then release.

Plug back in, power up, and try the firmware install again from USB. If still no luck, get in touch with OPPO Tech Support. You can use the Email Us link on OPPO's Support page for the player.
--Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #6183 of 6212 Old 01-01-2019, 10:09 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
Turn off the player, unplug it from wall power. While still unplugged, press and hold Power button on the front panel for a couple seconds, then release.

Plug back in, power up, and try the firmware install again from USB. If still no luck, get in touch with OPPO Tech Support. You can use the Email Us link on OPPO's Support page for the player.
--Bob
Hi Bob, see my immediately prior post. I reset settings and then update went as expected. Perhaps the power off/unplug/press power button would have worked too.
Thanks, and Happy New Year.

Sony XBR-A1E 77"; OPPO UDP-205; Sony UBP-X700; Apple TV 4K; miniDSP 2x4 HD; McIntosh MX122; McIntosh C50; McIntosh MEN220; McIntosh MC302; Mark Levinson No533H; Rotel RMB-1585; ATMOS 5.2.4: Wilson Maxx2[L/R]; Wilson Sophia2[SL/SR]; Wilson Watch Center[C]; Dual SVS SB16U [SW]; Revel C763[Top F & Top R pairs]. Sennheiser HD650; Clearaudio Concept Turntable; Auralic Vega; Sonore Rendu; Synology DS713+. And a mishmash basement 7.1 system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6184 of 6212 Old 01-02-2019, 09:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Does the HDMI In Bypass allow for ATMOS and DTX bypass as well? How about HDR10 and 10+?

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: http://afterconvert.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
post #6185 of 6212 Old 01-04-2019, 02:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkster27 View Post
While it does seem you have a configuration issue, imho the LA Woman SACD is not the best sounding version of that album. I found repeated listenings of the SACD disappointing, in both 5.1 and 2.1. I finally sold it, and got The Doors A Collection, a stereo-only set that includes a disc of LA Woman that is far superior to the SACD. YMMV.
Only one set of surround mixes have been made for the Doors' albums. The SACDs simply contain the same 5.1 surround mixes found on the DVD-A box set.

Also, the SACDs feature the original album mixes in stereo. The DVD-Audio box featured remixed stereo tracks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe DiVincenzo View Post
The Doors - Infinite Collector Box

The SACDs that I own from the doors , did they derive from this infinite box set ??, I see this set retails for 500 dollars, I only paid 25$ a piece for my 6 SACDs, got them last year during black friday
Only one set of SACDs has ever been issued for the Doors' albums, all put out by Analogue Productions and mastered by the late Doug Sax. Audio Fidelity put out a quad SACD called The Best of the Doors. AP bundled all six of their SACD albums together for a special collector's package called Infinite.

Blu-ray Picture Quality Tiers (updated through July 13, 2017)
post #6186 of 6212 Old 01-05-2019, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Probably a stupid question, but....

Is the Oppo able to convert an HDR10+ signal to Dolby Vision for TV's that support DV but not HDR10+?
post #6187 of 6212 Old 01-05-2019, 12:13 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meli View Post
Probably a stupid question, but....

Is the Oppo able to convert an HDR10+ signal to Dolby Vision for TV's that support DV but not HDR10+?
Yes, but it's not clear at this point whether the HDR10+ or the underlying HDR10 in the content is being used as the source for the conversion.
--Bob
meli likes this.

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #6188 of 6212 Old 01-05-2019, 05:07 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Multi-channel Input to Oppo's UDP-205 DAC

Quote:
Last time I checked Roon only supported Stereo to the OPPO. So if you want to use multi-channel from Room you'll need to connect it to your XMC-1 instead.
--Bob
I thought I had seen in one of the ROON community forums, that using the HDMI-In of the OPPO would allow it to accept multi-channel music for OPPO's digital to analog conversion from the proper HDMI output of a ROON ROCK NUC. I have my ROCK NUC setup this way [in addition to 1) using the network connected ROON to feed OPPO's USB Stereo DAC through a Sonore microRendu, and 2) also using ROON's network connection to feed the ethernet input on the OPPO]. Right now, if I select the HDMI-In as the OPPO's input, it's just passing through to its HDMI out then to my Marantz SR7012, and the Marantz is doing the conversion. If one uses OPPO's multi-channel analog outputs, does anyone know if the OPPO's multi-channel ESS9038PRO chip is implemented to do multi-channel digital-to-analog conversion that way with ROON?

- john

BDP-83 EAP (second group)

Last edited by da Choge; 01-05-2019 at 05:12 PM.
post #6189 of 6212 Old 01-06-2019, 10:12 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumptown0426 View Post
Update: I pulled the OPPO out of the chain and ran the USB from my UltraRendu directly to the USB input on my XMC-1 processor. All issues go away when I do this so it is an OPPO issue with the DAC.

I've emailed OPPO and am awaiting a response.

Jason
New Update: OPPO asked that I pull the UltraRendu from the chain and see what happens. I connected the sonicTransporter directly to the 205 and I have had ZERO problems since doing so. Looks to be an issue with the UltraRendu and the OPPO not playing nicely. Has anyone that is/has used this combo having an issue like I describe?

Emailed OPPO my findings and am awaiting their response.

Jason
post #6190 of 6212 Old 01-06-2019, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumptown0426 View Post
New Update: OPPO asked that I pull the UltraRendu from the chain and see what happens. I connected the sonicTransporter directly to the 205 and I have had ZERO problems since doing so. Looks to be an issue with the UltraRendu and the OPPO not playing nicely. Has anyone that is/has used this combo having an issue like I describe? Emailed OPPO my findings and am awaiting their response. Jason
Jason:

I'm new to the Sonore player/USB filters and really fairly new to the whole streaming of digital music files, so I've been playing and experimenting with the Oppo today (both as a ROON player and a DAC for ROON streaming). I have the microRendu, not the ultraRendu, but they're essentially the same. Never experienced it until today, but I got the exact same result (the "underwater" distorted sound) from the OPPO. However, prior to that, I was trying it in all kinds of different configurations & setups with ROON (from using the OPPO's HDMI-In from a ROCK NUC server, to using the OPPO as a USB DAC fed by the microRendu, to using the OPPO as a simple ROON network player). It worked fine in most configurations, until I went back to trying to use it as a simple ROON network player (like I originally had it setup), and then I got all the garbled stuff you were referring to (it sounded terrible, so I switched the system off immediately, fearing there could be some damage). I remembered your posts and took the microRendu out of the chain, then started ROON network playback again, but I still got the garbled "underwater" playback and switched it off again. Haven't done much since, but the next time I use it, I'm going to take all the the other (streaming-type) connections off the OPPO and set it up again as a simple ROON network player using its HDMI out to my AVR. . . . Now, come to think of it, I had the OPPO mistakenly set on Blu-ray via its HOME page selections and not on Network when the issue occurred - maybe that could've been it?

-john

Last edited by da Choge; 01-06-2019 at 04:55 PM.
post #6191 of 6212 Old 01-06-2019, 10:47 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by da Choge View Post
Jason:

I'm new to the Sonore player/USB filters and really fairly new to the whole streaming of digital music files, so I've been playing and experimenting with the Oppo today (both as a ROON player and a DAC for ROON streaming). I have the microRendu, not the ultraRendu, but they're essentially the same. Never experienced it until today, but I got the exact same result (the "underwater" distorted sound) from the OPPO. However, prior to that, I was trying it in all kinds of different configurations & setups with ROON (from using the OPPO's HDMI-In from a ROCK NUC server, to using the OPPO as a USB DAC fed by the microRendu, to using the OPPO as a simple ROON network player). It worked fine in most configurations, until I went back to trying to use it as a simple ROON network player (like I originally had it setup), and then I got all the garbled stuff you were referring to (it sounded terrible, so I switched the system off immediately, fearing there could be some damage). I remembered your posts and took the microRendu out of the chain, then started ROON network playback again, but I still got the garbled "underwater" playback and switched it off again. Haven't done much since, but the next time I use it, I'm going to take all the the other (streaming-type) connections off the OPPO and set it up again as a simple ROON network player using its HDMI out to my AVR. . . . Now, come to think of it, I had the OPPO mistakenly set on Blu-ray via its HOME page selections and not on Network when the issue occurred - maybe that could've been it?

-john
John -

Thank for responding. I haven't had the issue when just using Roon and running my server through the 205 DAC, only when using the UR. I haven't used this with HDMI at all either, its been all USB DAC and out through the balanced outputs to my XMC-1. Maybe it's the filter I'm using but I don't think so. My configurations I have used tell me it's the UR used with the 205 USB DAC. I'm sure OPPO will respond tomorrow. I'll let you know what they think.

Jason
post #6192 of 6212 Old 01-06-2019, 10:51 PM

Jason:

Did another run of the Oppo as a ROON network player earlier this evening and made sure it was in the Network mode. Everything went well; no garbled "underwater"-sounding music. I, personally, don't think it was the Rendus that caused this. Haven't reintroduced my microRendu back into the setup to try it again with the OPPO as a USB DAC, but I'm betting that everything will be copasetic. I was changing inputs and paths of my whole system setup so much, that (in my very lay & amateurish opinion), I think I left or forced the OPPO into a path that it wasn't OK with, and that's what resulted in the garbled output (at least in my case) - don't know if that makes any sense electronically, but that's my impression. So I really do think it was the OPPO (not the microRendu), but don't think it will misbehave again like it did unless I start unnecessarily screwing with things. Anywhose, that's my 2 cents.

When I put the microRendu back into use, I'll let you know if there are any abnormalities. Conversely, despite all the positive press, I'm not sure how great these Rendus are as USB filters. I've seen actual measurements of them in use that don't really indicate they lower or improve the sound floor much, if at all, despite many user's anecdotal praises of them. I do think they are good network streamers, though. I'm thinking that I may eventually relegate my microRendu as a network player/streamer for my bedroom setup.

- john

post #6193 of 6212 Old 01-08-2019, 02:00 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 9
S/PDIF Out impacted by Speaker Configuration?

The manual (pg. 68) says: “Speaker Configuration mainly applies to the multi-channel analog audio outputs. However, when S/PDIF Output is set to LPCM in the Setup Menu, its signal becomes a down-mixed stereo version of the multi-channel signal that is sent to the multi-channel analog audio outputs. As a result, the LPCM signal from the coaxial and optical output is affected by the settings in Speaker Configuration.”

How is it affected? If playing a redbook CD, but I want to use the S/PDIF Out (connected to my RME ADI-2 DAC because I prefer its headphone amp over the 205’s) will the PCM have undergone some DSP to adjust for my multi-channel analog speaker config, to include things like distance, trim, and crossover?

I was hoping more for a bypass-like S/PDIF output, getting the 2ch LPCM sent out unchanged to the external DAC.

Cheers

[edit] After some experimentation I’m thinking the manual is referring to multi-channel and not stereo sources. Regardless, the down-mix modes came to the rescue. I will just set Down Mix Mode to Stereo when I want to use the external stereo DAC, and back to 7.1 when I’m using the anolog outs.

See manual pg. 69: Down Mix Mode. Stereo — “ This mode down mixes multi-channel audio to 2-channel stereo output. For original stereo content the output will not change.”

So there should be no unwanted DSP to stereo PCM.

Cheers

Last edited by Gus141; 01-08-2019 at 02:50 PM.
post #6194 of 6212 Old 01-09-2019, 09:57 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus141 View Post
S/PDIF Out impacted by Speaker Configuration?

The manual (pg. 68) says: “Speaker Configuration mainly applies to the multi-channel analog audio outputs. However, when S/PDIF Output is set to LPCM in the Setup Menu, its signal becomes a down-mixed stereo version of the multi-channel signal that is sent to the multi-channel analog audio outputs. As a result, the LPCM signal from the coaxial and optical output is affected by the settings in Speaker Configuration.”

How is it affected? If playing a redbook CD, but I want to use the S/PDIF Out (connected to my RME ADI-2 DAC because I prefer its headphone amp over the 205’s) will the PCM have undergone some DSP to adjust for my multi-channel analog speaker config, to include things like distance, trim, and crossover?

I was hoping more for a bypass-like S/PDIF output, getting the 2ch LPCM sent out unchanged to the external DAC.

Cheers

[edit] After some experimentation I’m thinking the manual is referring to multi-channel and not stereo sources. Regardless, the down-mix modes came to the rescue. I will just set Down Mix Mode to Stereo when I want to use the external stereo DAC, and back to 7.1 when I’m using the anolog outs.

See manual pg. 69: Down Mix Mode. Stereo — “ This mode down mixes multi-channel audio to 2-channel stereo output. For original stereo content the output will not change.”

So there should be no unwanted DSP to stereo PCM.

Cheers
The statement I Bolded above is correct.

Down-mixing only happens if you are playing more channels of content than the number of speakers you've specified for output.

So for example, when playing Stereo content (as from a CD) the multi-channel Analog Down-Mix choice does nothing. 7.1 or 5.1 or Stereo will all work *AS* Stereo since there's no down-mixing which has to happen.

The LT/RT choice is a special form of Stereo down-mix for when you are feeding the signal to an older device that accepts Stereo input and applies math to it (like Dolby Logic) to expand that into more than 2 speakers of output. (Such devices typically use ANALOG Stereo inputs to receive this signal.) The LT/RT version does the Stereo down-mix in a way which makes it easier for that math to do a good job. In your case you are playing Stereo content into Stereo speakers, and the regular Stereo Down-mix is the correct choice. But again all this ONLY matters if the content you are playing includes channels beyond simple Stereo.
--Bob
Gus141 likes this.

post #6195 of 6212 Old 01-09-2019, 11:01 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ By the way, for more general information on all this, see my Blog post here:

Understanding Audio Downmix and Surround Sound Processing, OR, Wait! I've Got the Wrong Number of Speakers?

--Bob
dinamigym and Gus141 like this.

post #6196 of 6212 Old 01-09-2019, 02:25 PM

Liked: 9
Thank you Bob. Yes, I read too much into that line from the manual.

I’ve read many of your excellent blog articles. I will check out that one you reference as well.

Cheers
post #6197 of 6212 Old 01-10-2019, 10:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Was just at the Oppo site. Did they stop making everything but the Sonica?

Glad I ordered two 205s. If one breaks I have a backup...
Antonino Barbera likes this.
post #6198 of 6212 Old 01-11-2019, 05:04 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1781 Post(s)
Liked: 2127
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueueCumber View Post
Was just at the Oppo site. Did they stop making everything but the Sonica?
I guess you haven't been on the forum much since April of last year... At this point, I believe they've stopped manufacturing everything, including the Sonica line. The following link, which you can get to from the main Oppo Digital site gives some more info:

http://oppodigital.com/farewell.aspx
post #6199 of 6212 Old 01-12-2019, 01:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anybody know if there are hardware differences between country models? I have 205 from Malaysia with firmware UDP20XTW-60-0625 and want to flash the new beta UDP20X-64-1221B from the US oppo website. I currently live in Canada.
post #6200 of 6212 Old 01-12-2019, 05:32 AM

My UDP-205 is not showing picture any more. I've connected directly HDMI out (main) in two different Samsung TVs (one HD and the other 4K) and is giving me black screen with a message of no signal. However, I have the audio signal, for any kind of playing disc. It doesn't even show the selection menus. Any ideas, please .....
post #6201 of 6212 Old 01-12-2019, 06:33 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 4368 Post(s)
Liked: 4075
Quote:
Originally Posted by george63 View Post
My UDP-205 is not showing picture any more. I've connected directly HDMI out (main) in two different Samsung TVs (one HD and the other 4K) and is giving me black screen with a message of no signal. However, I have the audio signal, for any kind of playing disc. It doesn't even show the selection menus. Any ideas, please .....
What happens if you cycle through the output resolutions using the RESOLUTION button on the remote? The selected value should be visible on the front panel.

Also: Press and hold the RESOLUTION button and Output Resolution, HDR, Color Space, Color Depth will be reset to factory defaults. See if that helps.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #6202 of 6212 Old 01-12-2019, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
What happens if you cycle through the output resolutions using the RESOLUTION button on the remote? The selected value should be visible on the front panel.

Also: Press and hold the RESOLUTION button and Output Resolution, HDR, Color Space, Color Depth will be reset to factory defaults. See if that helps.

-Bill
Cycling through the RESOLUTION button on the remote I see on the front panel AUTO, CUSTOM, DIRECT without any different TV screen response (it remains black). Also, holding pressed the RESOLUTION button for a few minutes the front panel shows AUTO without any TV screen response again. Then. loading any kind of disc (CD, DVD, Blu-ray, 4K) i hear only audio.
post #6203 of 6212 Old 01-12-2019, 07:09 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 3539 Post(s)
Liked: 2686
Quote:
Originally Posted by george63 View Post
Cycling through the RESOLUTION button on the remote I see on the front panel AUTO, CUSTOM, DIRECT without any different TV screen response (it remains black). Also, holding pressed the RESOLUTION button for a few minutes the front panel shows AUTO without any TV screen response again. Then. loading any kind of disc (CD, DVD, Blu-ray, 4K) i hear only audio.
Unplug the TV from the wall, and do the same with the Oppo and anything else that's in the HDMI chain. Plug everything back in. If this doesn't help than contact Oppo support. http://www.oppodigital.com/ContactUs.aspx
post #6204 of 6212 Old 01-12-2019, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Unplug the TV from the wall, and do the same with the Oppo and anything else that's in the HDMI chain. Plug everything back in. If this doesn't help than contact Oppo support. http://www.oppodigital.com/ContactUs.aspx
Thank you, .. probably I'm going to contact Oppo support.
post #6205 of 6212 Old 01-12-2019, 08:00 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pleung18 View Post
Does anybody know if there are hardware differences between country models? I have 205 from Malaysia with firmware UDP20XTW-60-0625 and want to flash the new beta UDP20X-64-1221B from the US oppo website. I currently live in Canada.
There are no hardware differences that I'm aware of, but the currently installed firmware (in your case the TW region) will only accept a load of new firmware from the same region. Which means you won't be able to load the North America version of the Beta.
--Bob

post #6206 of 6212 Old 01-13-2019, 07:13 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
^ By the way, for more general information on all this, see my Blog post here:

Understanding Audio Downmix and Surround Sound Processing, OR, Wait! I've Got the Wrong Number of Speakers?

--Bob
Just a side bar: when sending stereo or multi-channel downmixed to stereo via multi-channel L/R analog output or stereo analog output, bass management will have to come from AVR or prepro's DSP. Seems the only means to bass management on the OPPO is from 5.1 SACDs output as PCM, which, of course, treats bass as a channel and permits adjustment of trim/distance on all channels.

Last edited by csludwig2; 01-13-2019 at 08:14 AM.
post #6207 of 6212 Old 01-13-2019, 09:00 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by csludwig2 View Post
Just a side bar: when sending stereo or multi-channel downmixed to stereo via multi-channel L/R analog output or stereo analog output, bass management will have to come from AVR or prepro's DSP. Seems the only means to bass management on the OPPO is from 5.1 SACDs output as PCM, which, of course, treats bass as a channel and permits adjustment of trim/distance on all channels.
That's true of course. If your output is Stereo, there's no way to send out separate, steered bass. You need another wire. So "bass management" in the player wouldn't be useful.

By the way, if you want to play an SACD as Stereo Analog output, you'd be wise to select the Stereo content on that SACD (assuming it is present) instead of do a down-mix on the multi-channel SACD content. The purpose-built Stereo track on the SACD disc will likely give superior results since it has been tweaked by the audio engineer for just that type of listening.

------------------

Actually, there *IS* something important to consider here. Ideally when down-mixing multi-channel content to Stereo output you should *DISCARD* any LFE channel content. Why? Because LFE content is, by design, recorded -10dB down. If you want to mix it into the other speaker channels destined for the Stereo output you have to level match -- i.e., lower the other channels -10d, before summing in the LFE (since there is no way to separate out the LFE and provide its required +10dB boost *AFTER* you've done the summation). But you are not done yet. You also have to lower ALL the channels (including LFE) even more for "down-mix attenuation". This provides the headroom so that you can sum all this stuff into just two speakers of output without clipping the output if all the content channels are high volume at the same time.

Now, you can compensate for all this by raising you Main Volume of course. But the problem is, that the substantial attenuation just described lowers the content signals closer to the "noise floor". When you amplify the summed result you are ALSO amplifying the noise floor. Which can make it audible. Simply put, you have discarded dynamic range -- your ability to hear very low volume content cleanly.

In the OPPO, the down-mix provided for the Dedicated Stereo Analog outputs takes care of this automatically. I.e., the down-mix does not include any LFE channel content.

If you are doing the same thing with the multi-channel Analog outputs -- i.e., if you want to wire them to feed just a Stereo output signal -- you can accomplish the same thing by setting LF/RF to LARGE and Subwoofer to ON -- even though the Subwoofer output is not wired! Since LF/RF are LARGE, the full frequency range of the down-mixed normal speaker channels will be included in the Stereo output. But LFE channel content will be dumped to that non-connected Subwoofer output. So the extra attenuation needed to provide headroom for carrying the LFE content is no longer necessary.

TECHNICAL NOTE: This works because audio engineers are not allowed to assume the listener will have a Subwoofer. That means all critical bass must be authored into the regular speaker channels -- which have no lower limit on the frequencies they can carry. The LFE channel, then, is not for ALL bass, but rather reserved for LOUD bass.
--Bob
RichB and Greg TB like this.

Last edited by Bob Pariseau; 01-13-2019 at 09:07 AM.
post #6208 of 6212 Old 01-14-2019, 05:44 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
That's true of course. If your output is Stereo, there's no way to send out separate, steered bass. You need another wire. So "bass management" in the player wouldn't be useful.

By the way, if you want to play an SACD as Stereo Analog output, you'd be wise to select the Stereo content on that SACD (assuming it is present) instead of do a down-mix on the multi-channel SACD content. The purpose-built Stereo track on the SACD disc will likely give superior results since it has been tweaked by the audio engineer for just that type of listening.

------------------

Actually, there *IS* something important to consider here. Ideally when down-mixing multi-channel content to Stereo output you should *DISCARD* any LFE channel content. Why? Because LFE content is, by design, recorded -10dB down. If you want to mix it into the other speaker channels destined for the Stereo output you have to level match -- i.e., lower the other channels -10d, before summing in the LFE (since there is no way to separate out the LFE and provide its required +10dB boost *AFTER* you've done the summation). But you are not done yet. You also have to lower ALL the channels (including LFE) even more for "down-mix attenuation". This provides the headroom so that you can sum all this stuff into just two speakers of output without clipping the output if all the content channels are high volume at the same time.

Now, you can compensate for all this by raising you Main Volume of course. But the problem is, that the substantial attenuation just described lowers the content signals closer to the "noise floor". When you amplify the summed result you are ALSO amplifying the noise floor. Which can make it audible. Simply put, you have discarded dynamic range -- your ability to hear very low volume content cleanly.

In the OPPO, the down-mix provided for the Dedicated Stereo Analog outputs takes care of this automatically. I.e., the down-mix does not include any LFE channel content.

If you are doing the same thing with the multi-channel Analog outputs -- i.e., if you want to wire them to feed just a Stereo output signal -- you can accomplish the same thing by setting LF/RF to LARGE and Subwoofer to ON -- even though the Subwoofer output is not wired! Since LF/RF are LARGE, the full frequency range of the down-mixed normal speaker channels will be included in the Stereo output. But LFE channel content will be dumped to that non-connected Subwoofer output. So the extra attenuation needed to provide headroom for carrying the LFE content is no longer necessary.

TECHNICAL NOTE: This works because audio engineers are not allowed to assume the listener will have a Subwoofer. That means all critical bass must be authored into the regular speaker channels -- which have no lower limit on the frequencies they can carry. The LFE channel, then, is not for ALL bass, but rather reserved for LOUD bass.
--Bob
I'm saving your response, thank you, since bass management requires some learning to grasp the knowledge presented. At any rate, I believe I've settled the matter by sending OPPO managed bass to a multi-channel analog preamp, where all channels are set to 0db, and by sending analog stereo output from the OPPO to my digital HT prepro, where bass is managed via DSP. Now it seems the only problematic bass extraction to my sub is from 3 channel Living Presence and Living Stereo works, which I now deliver to the multi-channel analog preamp using the bass management settings I've applied to the OPPO for 5.1. Of course this solution delivers no bass to the sub and with mains set at small for a 60 Hz crossover I am not getting any low bass to my full frequency mains. I understand that I could set those mains to large and get bass but I believe I would want to retain multi-channel rather than downmix to stereo to maintain a center channel, is that right?

Last edited by csludwig2; 01-14-2019 at 06:09 AM.
post #6209 of 6212 Old 01-14-2019, 09:22 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by csludwig2 View Post
I'm saving your response, thank you, since bass management requires some learning to grasp the knowledge presented. At any rate, I believe I've settled the matter by sending OPPO managed bass to a multi-channel analog preamp, where all channels are set to 0db, and by sending analog stereo output from the OPPO to my digital HT prepro, where bass is managed via DSP. Now it seems the only problematic bass extraction to my sub is from 3 channel Living Presence and Living Stereo works, which I now deliver to the multi-channel analog preamp using the bass management settings I've applied to the OPPO for 5.1. Of course this solution delivers no bass to the sub and with mains set at small for a 60 Hz crossover I am not getting any low bass to my full frequency mains. I understand that I could set those mains to large and get bass but I believe I would want to retain multi-channel rather than downmix to stereo to maintain a center channel, is that right?
On page 10 of this thread you'll find a post by me: Notes on Setting Up for Analog Audio Output. That may help clarify things for you a bit.

I agree that you should retain the Center speaker when playing your 3 channel content. As for wiring your Sub for 2 different signal paths, your best bet would be to get a 2 in, 1 out, line level Analog switch. You can probably find one of these that even uses a remote. Check Monoprice.com for example.

Also see my Blog post here:

Choosing a Crossover Frequency

--Bob
csludwig2 likes this.

post #6210 of 6212 Old 01-14-2019, 12:35 PM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I am upgrading my satellite box, Apple TV, and Roku devices to 4k. Unfortunately my digital preamp cannot pass 4k signals. So I am thinking of buying a HDMI 4k switch and using the Oppo 205 to handle the 4K signals.

The idea is to feed the 4k signals from those three devices to the HDMI 4k Switch. Then feed the 4k output from the switch to the Oppo 205 (through the rear HDMI IN port of the Oppo). Then connect the HDMI Main video output of the Oppo 205 to the projector. And finally connect the HDMI OUT (Audio Only) from the Oppo to my digital preamp to play the audio.

Questions:

1. Anyone here doing this already? If so, any HDMI 4k switch that you can recommend.
2. The distance from the Oppo 205 to my projector is 35 ft. The cable will go inside a wall. So I figure that I will need an active cable due to the length. Any suggestions/recommendations for a cable?
3. I saw Bob's article on HDMI cables so it looks like I will need to replace all my HDMI cables with Premium HDMI cables. I believe that Bob recommended 6 ft length. Is that correct?
4. Any other thing I should be aware of or careful about?

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players