post #451 of 476 Old 09-27-2018, 08:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyroscopics View Post
The X1000ES and X700 have the same limitations in playing MKV files as you mentioned for X800. No need to swap out. I usually play MKV files stored in USB hard drive directly connected to the UHD player. MKV files load and play quickly this way.
Thanks - good to know.

Can you access the chapter stops in the .MKVs on the 1000?

I've tried on the 800 via USB and network, and can't figure out a way to skip forward or back a chapter, which makes my intended use for older concert DVDs (480i, where the Sony processing is very good) more than a little frustrating.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 476 Old 09-27-2018, 08:31 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamjcl View Post

Can you access the chapter stops in the .MKVs on the 1000?
No
Iamjcl likes this.

__________________________________________________ ______
2.0 Music: NAD 375BEE-DAC, Philharmonic BMR, Sony X1000ES, Bluesound Node2, Sonos Connect
7.2.4/Multi-Ch Music: Samsung UN65KS9000FXZA, Denon X4400H, Sony X1000ES + X700, Parasound HINT + A23, B&W 705-S2, B&W HTM71-S2, B&W 685-S2, Energy RC-10, Polk Audio OWM5, Rythmik L22 x2, Panamax M5300-PM
post #453 of 476 Old 10-03-2018, 07:06 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Hey guys, thinking of buying UBP-X1000, but I'm confused is it Region Free or Not, some stores provide details its Region Free, some don't mention Region at all. I will be using it in with US purchased UHD disks and also with EU purchased.

LG OLED 55C6, F9000 + SEK-3500XC (EU), Sony VPL-HW65ES, 7.1, Screen: Black Widow Dulux DS1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #454 of 476 Old 10-03-2018, 07:43 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 1151 Post(s)
Liked: 1916
Quote:
Originally Posted by denisoftus View Post
Hey guys, thinking of buying UBP-X1000, but I'm confused is it Region Free or Not, some stores provide details its Region Free, some don't mention Region at all. I will be using it in with US purchased UHD disks and also with EU purchased.

UHD discs are region free. They can be purchased anywhere. It is not region free for standard Blu-rays or DVDs.
denisoftus likes this.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
post #455 of 476 Old 10-03-2018, 08:55 AM

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post
UHD discs are region free. They can be purchased anywhere. It is not region free for standard Blu-rays or DVDs.
Wow, how did I miss it. Excellent, so if I buy it in US I can use it in Europe. Thanks!

LG OLED 55C6, F9000 + SEK-3500XC (EU), Sony VPL-HW65ES, 7.1, Screen: Black Widow Dulux DS1
post #456 of 476 Old 10-06-2018, 09:40 PM

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 74
I'm experiencing freezes on UHD discs in this player. About 1/2 way through some discs, the playback freezes. The remote becomes totally unresponsive. After a minute or so, the player shuts off. I can then power on, restart the movie from where I left off and finish. This seems to happen on about 25% of discs that I play. Seems that some folks with the UBP-800 are experiencing similar issue. Any suggestions? Happened today with a brand new disc (Solo UHD), first play. Thanks!
ldgrmnmc likes this.
post #457 of 476 Old 10-07-2018, 10:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Freshmanjs:

When I first purchased my UBP-X800, I was getting picture freezes on many of the first UHD discs I played. A couple times I needed a complete shutdown to get going again. I was expecting a freeze on the first 100GB disc I played and sure enough......

Shortly thereafter, I put a USB in the front port......16GB at first, but not a long one, and have since replaced that with a 64GB low profile.......and have not had one picture freeze on any discs I have watched. I have not watched any of the original discs that froze, but I assume the problem is solved. I believe I read about this suggestion somewhere on this forum.

Try a USB and see if it helps.......incidentally, my player is not connected to the internet and I only use it for UHD discs.....

Cheers,
phannon
post #458 of 476 Old 10-07-2018, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phannon View Post
Freshmanjs:

When I first purchased my UBP-X800, I was getting picture freezes on many of the first UHD discs I played. A couple times I needed a complete shutdown to get going again. I was expecting a freeze on the first 100GB disc I played and sure enough......

Shortly thereafter, I put a USB in the front port......16GB at first, but not a long one, and have since replaced that with a 64GB low profile.......and have not had one picture freeze on any discs I have watched. I have not watched any of the original discs that froze, but I assume the problem is solved. I believe I read about this suggestion somewhere on this forum.

Try a USB and see if it helps.......incidentally, my player is not connected to the internet and I only use it for UHD discs.....

Cheers,
phannon
Thank you! Can you please clarify...are you saying to connect a USB memory stick? blank? What does that do? thanks
post #459 of 476 Old 10-07-2018, 11:12 AM

Freshmanjs:

Yes, put a USB memory stick in the front port.....I assume the 1000 has the port like the 800, over on the right hand side when I take out the covering door. A short type device will not stick out much.......and the new one I am using is about the size of one of those USB receivers for a wireless mouse, so it is totally unobtrusive.

I assume the memory in the player gets full...or confused!....when playing some discs and the USB will provide virtually unlimited "storage" so that may be why it seems to help. Whenever I start a disc or sometimes during a disc, the light in the USB flashes, indicating it is being accessed....... Unfortunately the USB I have, even though really small in size seems to have one of the brightest blue led lights in creation!!!! I stuck a couple layers of lightdim tape over the end to reduce the flashes.......

If you have a USB flash drive sitting around try it and see if it helps.......I would probably use a totally blank one, no previously created folders..... Try one of the problem discs and see if it still hangs. As I indicated, I have not had a hang up since using the USB's....BUT.....I have not gotten around to trying any of my earlier discs that did freeze....... The USB is being accessed as the indicator light can be seen flashing.....start up, shut down and possibly other times......

Cheers.
phannon
post #460 of 476 Old 10-09-2018, 01:56 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Send a message via AIM to ldgrmnmc
Quote:
Freshmanjs:

Yes, put a USB memory stick in the front port.....I assume the 1000 has the port like the 800, over on the right hand side when I take out the covering door. A short type device will not stick out much.......and the new one I am using is about the size of one of those USB receivers for a wireless mouse, so it is totally unobtrusive.

I assume the memory in the player gets full...or confused!....when playing some discs and the USB will provide virtually unlimited "storage" so that may be why it seems to help. Whenever I start a disc or sometimes during a disc, the light in the USB flashes, indicating it is being accessed....... Unfortunately the USB I have, even though really small in size seems to have one of the brightest blue led lights in creation!!!! I stuck a couple layers of lightdim tape over the end to reduce the flashes.......

If you have a USB flash drive sitting around try it and see if it helps.......I would probably use a totally blank one, no previously created folders..... Try one of the problem discs and see if it still hangs. As I indicated, I have not had a hang up since using the USB's....BUT.....I have not gotten around to trying any of my earlier discs that did freeze....... The USB is being accessed as the indicator light can be seen flashing.....start up, shut down and possibly other times......

Cheers.
phannon
That design seems absolutely crazy.

Sony VPL-VW385ES 4k Projector, 120" Elite’s Edge Free, Onkyo TX-RZ830, Arcam P1000 7 channel power amp, Sony UBP-X700 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Player, U-Turn Orbit turntable, Focal Electra 936 Fronts, Focal Electra 906 Surrounds, Focal Electra center, Focal Electra SW900 Subwoofer, Focal Super Bird 5.5” rears, Focal Little Bird 4” (x4) for atmos, Richard Gray RGPC 600S, Control4 EA-1 Controller with SR260 Remote Control, AppleTV 4K 64G
post #461 of 476 Old 11-01-2018, 05:58 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 1653 Post(s)
Liked: 3377
I want to put 2 UBP-X1000ES players in a rack: does anyone know if there is a way to disable the IR receiver or set one player to a different IR code?

I will control by RS232 but sometimes use the IR remote

please take the high road in every post:do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it
HDMI.org:what a mess
HDCP = Hollywood's Draconian Copy Protection system

post #462 of 476 Old 11-07-2018, 08:48 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post
I want to put 2 UBP-X1000ES players in a rack: does anyone know if there is a way to disable the IR receiver or set one player to a different IR code?

I will control by RS232 but sometimes use the IR remote
I think you can download an owners manual from the Crutchfield site.
post #463 of 476 Old 11-24-2018, 04:26 PM

Since the October firmware upgrade, I have intermittent HDMI drops when playing back UHD discs. It happens approximately 1-3 times per movie. Totally random times. This did not happen prior to the firmware upgrade. Anyone else? Any suggestions? thanks
post #464 of 476 Old 12-05-2018, 07:52 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to jmcclendon
Quote:
Originally Posted by lnong View Post
Just got my X1000ES last night, but I noticed that it cannot find any video files on my 4TB WD Passport drive (which contains MKV and MP4 files) when plugged into the USB port. Instead it shows "EFI" and I don't know what that stands for.

I will check again, but I'm pretty sure my USB drive was formatted as exFAT since I use it with my MacBook. My Samsung TV can read/play my MKV/MP4 files on it. And according to the X1000ES specs sheet, it does support exFAT, FAT and NTFS. So I don't know why it's having a problem seeing my video files.

Now, don't tell me the USB port on the X1000ES does NOT support mass storage drives (like 4 TB), right?
per the instruction manual: "The player can recognise Mass Storage Class (MSC) devices (such as flash memory or an HDD), Still Image Capture Device (SICD) class devices and 101 keyboard.'
post #465 of 476 Old 12-16-2018, 04:10 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Freshmanjs:

Cheers.
phannon
What format does the USB stick need to be? Also have you noticed anything since using the usb stick?

I recently bought a x1000es as my x800 was just becoming so unreliable. It's been for for the 2 weeks I've had it but today we've just watched schindlers list on 4k and at the 2hour 30 point the disc froze and I had to hard reset by pulling the plug. This is annoying as I thought with the x1000es is way more expensive then the x800 I assumed this machine would be better.

Any help? I'm not connected to the internet in any way shape or form on this machine.
post #466 of 476 Old 12-16-2018, 05:19 PM

Dave:

The USB is formatted as FAT32 and when I put it in the X800, I do not think I removed any preloaded bits the were on it. I just popped it in and it seemed to work. Since trying the USB stick, I have only had one freeze on a longer movie......probably a 100GB disc.......but I forget which one it was, possibly one of the latter Harry Potter movies. I also made sure a few items concerning updates and network stuff were disabled in the menus......though, like you, I do not have it connected to the internet. I went for many months without a freeze, and when it did freeze it was only a matter of either FF or chapter jumping and it played......no plug pulling necessary. Maybe it was only coincidence that there were no freezes since I used the USB......it was a 64GB drive. It can't hurt to give it a try.......it may work.

Cheers,
P.E.H.
post #467 of 476 Old 12-16-2018, 05:47 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Dave:

The USB is formatted as FAT32 and when I put it in the X800, I do not think I removed any preloaded bits the were on it. I just popped it in and it seemed to work. Since trying the USB stick, I have only had one freeze on a longer movie......probably a 100GB disc.......but I forget which one it was, possibly one of the latter Harry Potter movies. I also made sure a few items concerning updates and network stuff were disabled in the menus......though, like you, I do not have it connected to the internet. I went for many months without a freeze, and when it did freeze it was only a matter of either FF or chapter jumping and it played......no plug pulling necessary. Maybe it was only coincidence that there were no freezes since I used the USB......it was a 64GB drive. It can't hurt to give it a try.......it may work.

Cheers,
P.E.H.
Cheers I'll give it ago. It's really bloody annoying to say the least it's like I'm constantly sat waiting for it to freeze which takes the enjoyment away from the movie.

I just wish sony would sort this out.
post #468 of 476 Old 01-02-2019, 04:25 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
I just bought myself the 1000ES. Since there are so many pages to look through, can anyone tell me if I can stream 4K via Netflix through this machine or do I need to buy a Firestick?
post #469 of 476 Old 01-03-2019, 02:12 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 8427 Post(s)
Liked: 5319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
I just bought myself the 1000ES. Since there are so many pages to look through, can anyone tell me if I can stream 4K via Netflix through this machine or do I need to buy a Firestick?
Yes the SOny can play the Netflix UHD/HDR10 encodes.
Geezer likes this.

53TB unRAID2--45TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #470 of 476 Old 01-09-2019, 11:41 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Yes the SOny can play the Netflix UHD/HDR10 encodes.
Anyone ever figure out what Picture quality mode set to auto will do? Mine has Direct as the default. Does the 1000ES come with a light sensor for the brighter room setting?
post #471 of 476 Old 01-15-2019, 02:20 PM

Anyone know why my MKV files won't play via NAS or USB? Picture is fine but warning comes on that Audio is not supported. Worked fine in the past with my Oppo 93.
post #472 of 476 Old 01-15-2019, 02:49 PM
UHD Addict

Quote:
Anyone know why my MKV files won't play via NAS or USB? Picture is fine but warning comes on that Audio is not supported. Worked fine in the past with my Oppo 93.
Do they have TrueHD? Sony won't play TrueHD audio from an MKV. It isn't an Oppo. Most disc players are not very good media players. Oppo was an exception.

post #473 of 476 Old 01-15-2019, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Do they have TrueHD? Sony won't play TrueHD audio from an MKV. It isn't an Oppo. Most disc players are not very good media players. Oppo was an exception.
No it's not. Just plain DD 5.1.
Is there any software that will report what is in the container file? Maybe I can convert it to something the Sony likes
post #474 of 476 Old 01-15-2019, 02:59 PM
UHD Addict

Quote:
No it's not. Just plain DD 5.1.
Is there any software that will report what is in the container file? Maybe I can convert it to something the Sony likes
Sony won't play back DD in general from an MKV.

post #475 of 476 Old 01-15-2019, 04:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hare View Post
What format does the USB stick need to be? Also have you noticed anything since using the usb stick?

I recently bought a x1000es as my x800 was just becoming so unreliable. It's been for for the 2 weeks I've had it but today we've just watched schindlers list on 4k and at the 2hour 30 point the disc froze and I had to hard reset by pulling the plug. This is annoying as I thought with the x1000es is way more expensive then the x800 I assumed this machine would be better.

Any help? I'm not connected to the internet in any way shape or form on this machine.
You want help; I've got the cure for the "freezing problem".

A while back, someone posted a link to an article that detailed the issue/problem and the solution.

The gist of the article was this: the lazer and error correction software on many new 4K UHD players (it appears SONY players seem especially susceptible) is literally "seeing/reading" the INVISIBLE "non stick" film that coats EVERY UHD 4K, AND Blu-ray disk that is applied during the manufacturing process that is intended to keep the disks from sticking to each other while they are stacked on top of each other before they are individually packaged for sale, and is trying to "correct these 'errors' as the disk is playing."

Consequently, the UHD 4K players ability to keep up with correcting the supposed "errors" on the 4K UHD, or Blu-ray disk eventually fails and causes the player to "freeze"/lock up.

Older, non UHD Blu-ray players don't appear to have this problem because they don't "see" this invisible film.

The simple solution is this: *Note this procedure must be done to brand new 4K disks, as well as all of the HD and 4K UHD disks in your library BEFORE you play them the FIRST TIME on your 4K UHD player.

Carefully remove the disk from its case, and place the disk under under running warm water.

Lightly coat the disk with mild dish washing liquid (I use Dawn) on BOTH SIDES and wash the disk under warm running water (I lightly rub the soap from the center outwards).

Turn the disk over and repeat.

Thoroughly rinse the entire disk on both sides, making sure the dishwashing liquid is completely removed.

Place the washed and rinsed disk between a soft towel and pat dry. *Note: As an additional step, I take the dry disk, carefully hold it between my fingers and lightly move it up and down to remove any possible residual water.

Place the washed and dried disk in the player and push "Play".

Because the invisible (to the naked eye) film has been washed away, the player no longer "sees/reads" it as an "error" and the "error correction" protection software no longer gags and freezes after it can't keep up with the innumerable number of perceived errors.

I have religiously followed this procedure BEFORE playing any new or existing 4K, UHD or Blu-ray in my library for the FIRST TIME.

Since following this above process I have only had one disk freeze/lock up my SONY X1000ES. After rewashing the disk, there was no longer a problem and the disk has played flawlessly ever since.

*Note: You only need to thoroughly wash each disk ONCE/ONE TIME, BEFORE you play it for the FIRST TIME because you have permanently removed the invisible, non-stick coating that was left on the disk during the manufacturing process to keep it from sticking to other disks.

I hope the above advice proves helpful; it has certainly worked for us and now our SONY X1000ES plays everything we put in it without a problem.
Geezer and SteveC356 like this.
post #476 of 476 Old 01-15-2019, 04:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Freshmanjs:

Cheers,
phannon
You don't need to use an unsightly USB sticking out of the front of the player to solve the "freezing/lock up" problem; This is the cure for the "freezing problem".

A while back, someone posted a link to an article that detailed the issue/problem and the solution.

The gist of the article was this: the lazer and error correction software on many new 4K UHD players (it appears SONY players seem especially susceptible) is literally "seeing/reading" the INVISIBLE "non stick" film that coats EVERY UHD 4K, AND Blu-ray disk that is applied during the manufacturing process that is intended to keep the disks from sticking to each other while they are stacked on top of each other before they are individually packaged for sale, and is trying to "correct these 'errors' as the disk is playing."

Consequently, the UHD 4K players ability to keep up with correcting the supposed "errors" on the 4K UHD, or Blu-ray disk eventually fails and causes the player to "freeze"/lock up.

Older, non UHD Blu-ray players don't appear to have this problem because they don't "see" this invisible film.

The simple solution is this: *Note this procedure must be done to brand new 4K disks, as well as all of the HD and 4K UHD disks in your library BEFORE you play them the FIRST TIME on your 4K UHD player.

Carefully remove the disk from its case, and place the disk under under running warm water.

Lightly coat the disk with mild dish washing liquid (I use Dawn) on BOTH SIDES and wash the disk under warm running water (I lightly rub the soap from the center outwards).

Turn the disk over and repeat.

Thoroughly rinse the entire disk on both sides, making sure the dishwashing liquid is completely removed.

Place the washed and rinsed disk between a soft towel and pat dry. *Note: As an additional step, I take the dry disk, carefully hold it between my fingers and lightly move it up and down to remove any possible residual water.

Place the washed and dried disk in the player and push "Play".

Because the invisible (to the naked eye) film has been washed away, the player no longer "sees/reads" it as an "error" and the "error correction" protection software no longer gags and freezes after it can't keep up with the innumerable number of perceived errors.

I have religiously followed this procedure BEFORE playing any new or existing 4K, UHD or Blu-ray in my library for the FIRST TIME.

Since following this above process I have only had one disk freeze/lock up my SONY X1000ES. After rewashing the disk, there was no longer a problem and the disk has played flawlessly ever since.

*Note: You only need to thoroughly wash each disk ONCE/ONE TIME, BEFORE you play it for the FIRST TIME because you have permanently removed the invisible, non-stick coating that was left on the disk during the manufacturing process to keep it from sticking to other disks.

I hope the above advice proves helpful; it has certainly worked for us and now our SONY X1000ES plays everything we put in it without a problem
SteveC356 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
new sony bd player , sony 4k player , sony uhd player