Forum Jump: 
 18128Likes

post #2071 of 2115 Old 12-30-2018, 04:51 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Took a break from (somewhat) following HDR developments only to return many months later, skim the last 20 pages of this thread and still find a fractured mess of a marketplace. In the intervening time it has become clear from the perspectives of my wallet and increasingly catalog-oriented tastes that the (low) quantity of DV titles released doesn't justify the level of meshugas and semi-steep learning curve one has to navigate. And "premium" player prices have gone UP.

Hard to believe that it's been almost two years since a purported Fox "insider" posted on another site that MGM UHD BDs were awaiting DV implementation. Then titles like Silence Of the Lambs and Princess Bride got licensed to Criterion for 1080 BD release. Then MGM catalog administrator Fox got largely acquired by Disney, casting a long shadow over what Fox catalog might ever see the light of UHD BD laser.

And now we've got a "lock" Best Picture nominee from a streamer (Roma). It's unclear whether it will hit packaged media at all.

Happy that I have the 203. Happy I chose to not double down and get another one. But it seems like it's going to be difficult in, say, three years to continue to cover all my desired DVD-A, SA-CD, 3D BD and UHD BD bases without needing maybe even three players.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2072 of 2115 Old 12-30-2018, 11:08 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Looking to get a 4k Blu-ray player. Not in a rush.

Budget around $150-$180

Recently I saw the Sony x700 for $150 at Best Buy and the LG UP970 for sale at $170. I missed it, but I am fine with waiting for another sale. Looking for something with Dolby Vision I guess unless HDR10+ would be better in the end so the Samsung one? I know Dolby Vision is far superior to the HDR10+ format but there are no players within my price point that can do both. I am planning on getting a 4k OLED t.v. sometime early 2019. I will be mainly watching content through 4k disks I own and plan to buy. If anything netflix and Amazon Prime support would be preferred.
post #2073 of 2115 Old 12-31-2018, 08:33 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shandofurion View Post
Looking to get a 4k Blu-ray player. Not in a rush.
Budget around $150-$180
...Looking for something with Dolby Vision I guess unless HDR10+ would be better in ...I will be mainly watching content through 4k disks I own and plan to buy. If anything netflix and Amazon Prime support would be preferred.
You might want to keep track of pricing on the Philips BDP7502. It has seen some pretty dramatic swings recently but it is currently (12/31/2018) priced at the top end of your budget on Amazon. The biggest drawback for me about this player is limited streaming (only YouTube and Netflix) but then I plan on either getting separate Roku Ultimate or relying on the built in apps and ARC when I upgrade the TV sometime in 2019.

"You keep using that word...I do not think it means what you think it means."

-Steve-

Denon AVR-X2400H, 2 HEOS 3HS2's
The rest: old, with incremental upgrades in progress...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2074 of 2115 Old 01-01-2019, 09:06 AM
exm
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfeoblu View Post
great...is the 820 really superior to the UB900? Or is it possible to tweak the 900 enough to get most out of the 4K format?

About the 820 vs 9000- of course the 9000 is better built than the 820 but if the video processor is the same then I may give it a try. I just would like to hear from someone who used to own the UB900 and compared it to the 820...
thanks
E

Quote:
Originally Posted by smdelaney View Post
If Dolby Vision is important to you "...to get most out of the 4K format" then you need to look at the 820 because you can't get it from the 900.

I just sold my Oppo 103 on eBay and ordered the Panny 820 for half the dollars. From what I read, the 820 should be equal or better than the Oppo if you're using the player to watch movies. The Oppos shines with CDs and other older audio formats.

As far as the 820 vs 900 vs 9000 is concerned (did a bit of research). The 820 and 900 are very similar with the difference that the 820 supports Dolby Vision, HDR10+ and most importantly it has a new chip which supports the HDR Optimizer. Can't wait to use that. The 9000 makes sense if you want to use the player for audio.

To me, the 820 is the best value. Here's a good review: http://hdgear.highdefdigest.com/622...MVJ5aEB7uXt9-g
mmorse22 likes this.
post #2075 of 2115 Old 01-01-2019, 09:50 AM

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
I just sold my Oppo 103 on eBay and ordered the Panny 820 for half the dollars. From what I read, the 820 should be equal or better than the Oppo if you're using the player to watch movies. The Oppos shines with CDs and other older audio formats.

As far as the 820 vs 900 vs 9000 is concerned (did a bit of research). The 820 and 900 are very similar with the difference that the 820 supports Dolby Vision, HDR10+ and most importantly it has a new chip which supports the HDR Optimizer. Can't wait to use that. The 9000 makes sense if you want to use the player for audio.

To me, the 820 is the best value. Here's a good review: http://hdgear.highdefdigest.com/622...MVJ5aEB7uXt9-g

Happy New Year!! thanks for the reply. I actually got an 820 and compared it side by side with my 900 unit and the HDR helps a bit with my LCD Samsung KS8000 TV. I decided to keep it and I sold my 900 for a decent enough money. I didn't pay full price for the 900 unit and so I'm fine upgrading. In the future if I upgrade my TV to a Dolby Vision (an OLED would be awesome) then I may consider getting the 9000 unit! even if the video quality is the same as with the 820. Good value so far...

Samsung UN65KS8000 SUHD Quantum Dot LED 4K TV
Panasonic DP-UB820 4k & OPPO 103D-
Denon AVR-X4400h 5.2.4 atmos-with Paradigm: Monitor 7 v.6 for fronts, CC-390 v.6, Atoms v.7 Surrounds, Micros v.3 Front height and ELAC Debut A4 for back dolby.
SVS-PC12 NSD sub.Sony TC-K615S Dolby S cassette & Vintage JVC VS-DT6 CD player
post #2076 of 2115 Old 01-02-2019, 08:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Happy New Year everyone!

I'm looking for a player that has lots of Streaming apps. Especially the Vudu app, it's where I put all my digital codes and the Amazon Prime app.

My Dad bought an LG player, don't remember the model, but I was shocked to see it only had Netflix for streaming.

My old sony bluray player seems to offer everything under the sun as far as apps go. I guess I was wrong to assume all brands would offer the same amount of apps.

Mike

xbox/psn: duke63031
post #2077 of 2115 Old 01-02-2019, 08:35 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Not going 4k yet but should I upgrade my Panasonic DMP-BD60

It's slow but works great, loading speed is my only issue. I have a Denon AVR-790 receiver and a Panasonic PT-AE4000U projector. No real plans to go to 4K but should I get a faster 4K UHD player or stay non 4K and would something give me a better image than the BD60 through the Denon to the Projector. Thanks so much.
post #2078 of 2115 Old 01-02-2019, 02:17 PM

Liked: 33
All HDR formats and optical discs (DVD-A, SACD not needed)

I'm looking to buy my first 4K BD player. Hoping for a suggestion of a very good player. I don't mind spending several hundred dollars for the features but not for bragging rights or "DAC build quality" or things like that.
  • I'd like for it to play CDs (audio, VCD, MP3, WMA), DVDs, BDs (regular and 3D) and UHD BDs.
  • I don't have or plan to acquire DVD-A, or SACD.
  • It'd ideally support HDR10, HDR+, and DV. (I believe HLG is only broadcast/cable?)
  • Best if I don't have to remember to switch settings like DV on/off manually.
  • Playing media files (2K, 4K) like MKVs, and VIDEO_TS/BDMV folders from USB or network would be a great bonus.
  • Don't plan to use any apps from the player.
  • I don't plan to talk to it, it doesn't need to talk to me.
  • I've had great players before with abominable remotes; so, I hope a player with all above features has a half-way decent remote.
post #2079 of 2115 Old 01-02-2019, 11:33 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smdelaney View Post
You might want to keep track of pricing on the Philips BDP7502. It has seen some pretty dramatic swings recently but it is currently (12/31/2018) priced at the top end of your budget on Amazon. The biggest drawback for me about this player is limited streaming (only YouTube and Netflix) but then I plan on either getting separate Roku Ultimate or relying on the built in apps and ARC when I upgrade the TV sometime in 2019.

Thanks I will set a camelcamelcamel notice for it. I guess there is a 3rd party device like Roku or chromecast ? Though Netflix is really the only thing I would need
post #2080 of 2115 Old 01-04-2019, 07:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 68
What are your thoughts/experience with UHD Player on 1080p PJ?

I was recently able to perform some minor subjective tests using a 4K Sony Bluray player on my 1080p PJ. Let me know, for those of you who have used a UHD player on a 1080p Projector, if you agree with my findings, and if not, maybe guide me on making this a better experience:

I have a BenQ 2050a 1080p PJ. I utilize a Sony 6700 standard Blu ray Player. I borrowed my friend's Sony UBP-X700 4K Player for my test. The Players ran through a Denon X3400H Receiver.

When I would go between the 6700 standard player and the X700 with a movie shot digitally, like the Marvel movies or Disney/Pixar movies, I saw a slight improvement using the X700 4K player on my 1080p. I did have HDR turned off. It wasn't a MASSIVE improvement by any means, but appeared to be a touch brighter and definitely sharper, especially with background scenes. If this was the only thing I tested, I would go with a 4K player to make use of Atmos.

However, I then tested the new Mission Impossible:Fallout Disk. When I watched the standard Blu Ray on my 6700, I was not happy with the picture quality except for the IMAX scenes. Many of the other scenes, especially the darker scenes, had quite a bit of Grain. Watching some extras, the Director stated he shot in a mixture of Film and Digital. I then switched to the 4K on the Sony X700. Wow, was it HORRIBLE looking. The grain was magnified exponentially from the 4K disk to my 1080p PJ. Now, the IMAX scenes still looked great. I didn't really see if it looked any better or worse than the standard blu ray from my 6700, but if so, it would have been so slight either way I didn't notice.

To summarize my quick subjective tests......if the Movie was shot digitally, the 4K with HDR off looked as good to slightly better on my 1080p PJ than the standard BluRay via my 6700 br player. If that was my only test, I would go with a 4K Player. However, it appears movies shot with Film that includes Grain, the 4K version on the 1080p looked much worse. I did talk to another friend who has an Oppo 4K player and an LG OLED who said a 4K film with grain on his 4K OLED, the grain was majorly magnified. So, that issue doesn't appear to be a down conversion issue from 4K to 1080p.

Thoughts? Experiences? Tricks to help with that Grain?
mmorse22 likes this.

Tony
post #2081 of 2115 Old 01-04-2019, 10:54 AM

Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybradley View Post
I was recently able to perform some minor subjective tests using a 4K Sony Bluray player on my 1080p PJ. Let me know, for those of you who have used a UHD player on a 1080p Projector, if you agree with my findings, and if not, maybe guide me on making this a better experience:

I have a BenQ 2050a 1080p PJ. I utilize a Sony 6700 standard Blu ray Player. I borrowed my friend's Sony UBP-X700 4K Player for my test. The Players ran through a Denon X3400H Receiver.

When I would go between the 6700 standard player and the X700 with a movie shot digitally, like the Marvel movies or Disney/Pixar movies, I saw a slight improvement using the X700 4K player on my 1080p. I did have HDR turned off. It wasn't a MASSIVE improvement by any means, but appeared to be a touch brighter and definitely sharper, especially with background scenes. If this was the only thing I tested, I would go with a 4K player to make use of Atmos.

However, I then tested the new Mission Impossible:Fallout Disk. When I watched the standard Blu Ray on my 6700, I was not happy with the picture quality except for the IMAX scenes. Many of the other scenes, especially the darker scenes, had quite a bit of Grain. Watching some extras, the Director stated he shot in a mixture of Film and Digital. I then switched to the 4K on the Sony X700. Wow, was it HORRIBLE looking. The grain was magnified exponentially from the 4K disk to my 1080p PJ. Now, the IMAX scenes still looked great. I didn't really see if it looked any better or worse than the standard blu ray from my 6700, but if so, it would have been so slight either way I didn't notice.

To summarize my quick subjective tests......if the Movie was shot digitally, the 4K with HDR off looked as good to slightly better on my 1080p PJ than the standard BluRay via my 6700 br player. If that was my only test, I would go with a 4K Player. However, it appears movies shot with Film that includes Grain, the 4K version on the 1080p looked much worse. I did talk to another friend who has an Oppo 4K player and an LG OLED who said a 4K film with grain on his 4K OLED, the grain was majorly magnified. So, that issue doesn't appear to be a down conversion issue from 4K to 1080p.

Thoughts? Experiences? Tricks to help with that Grain?

Great Question From my research so far on both the Panasonic UB900 and Oppo 203 amd the X700 your opinion is right on, the down sampling to 1080p is better than the true 1080p. Probably not worth the added cost but I have been hearing exactly what you have found.

Film and grain are used sometimes artistically but the higher ISO ASA numbers used to capture light the more grain appears. Not sure of the scene but if it was a difficult one to shoot in low light or they did not have the best settings and could not do a lot of re-takes it may have been just that.
Ph8te likes this.
post #2082 of 2115 Old 01-04-2019, 12:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Dohring View Post
Great Question From my research so far on both the Panasonic UB900 and Oppo 203 amd the X700 your opinion is right on, the down sampling to 1080p is better than the true 1080p. Probably not worth the added cost but I have been hearing exactly what you have found.

Film and grain are used sometimes artistically but the higher ISO ASA numbers used to capture light the more grain appears. Not sure of the scene but if it was a difficult one to shoot in low light or they did not have the best settings and could not do a lot of re-takes it may have been just that.
It was near the end (don't want to provide any spoilers), simultaneous with the IMAX helicopter scenes, with Benji, Ilsa and Solomon in the Hut/house. So, it was inside and low light. It suffered on the standard Bluray and I thought it was bad until I saw it on the 4K down converted. I figure it may be what you said with just low lighting, film grain and the fact that my PJ's contrast isn't as good as a TV. I guess I could test the difference with the Br and 4K discs to my 1080p plasma and see how that looks as well.

Tony
post #2083 of 2115 Old 01-04-2019, 12:33 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 8427 Post(s)
Liked: 5319
Even in the Movie theater, Mission IMpossible Fallout had many scenes with grain in it. As is the case with most movies.
Ph8te likes this.

53TB unRAID2--45TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #2084 of 2115 Old 01-05-2019, 03:12 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
What blu-ray player for Epson LS10000? (hdmi 1.4)

I would like play mkv files with 4K with HDR! So I need a player that convert HDR to SDR for send the video to the projector via hdmi 1.4

Oppo 203 is a good election? Zappiti? CXUH?

I will mainly play mkv files, not blu ray discs.
post #2085 of 2115 Old 01-05-2019, 08:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Even in the Movie theater, Mission IMpossible Fallout had many scenes with grain in it. As is the case with most movies.
Most the movies I watch don't have any perceived grain. This is the first one I've seen in a long while with so much grain. Again, it wasn't unwatchable with BR on a 1080p, but sure was when down converted from 4K to 1080p.

Tony
post #2086 of 2115 Old 01-06-2019, 07:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Dohring View Post
Interesting take. We have a similar set up. Our PJ is a Sharp Z30K 1080p DLP (with a Darbee). I had been using a Sony BR player. I wanted to get Atmos from as many discs as possible. So, I switched to a LG UBK90 4K player.
My experiences have been mostly positive. I've played a couple of 4K disks and they looked excellent down rezed to 1080p. Also, ordinary Blu ray discs play well on the LG. Plus, here is a bonus that I did not expect: legacy DVDs play very well on the LG. The upsampling and/or processing seem sharper then on the Sony BR player. Lastly, the load times on the LG UBK90 are faster I've been waiting to go to a 4K projector. I am a DLP fan from way back. Hoping for a 4K DLP with lens memory (for our dual screen set up). Until then, I thought I would dip my toes in the 4K water and try out a 4K player. If you are on the fence, then I encourage you to check it out.
Question: I have wondered if it's possible to play 4K Blu ray discs and get the benifits of HDR on a 1080p projector. Would one of the 4K players with tone mapping (like the new Panasonic) allow the down rezed 1080p signal to show a HDR picture on the projector?

Last edited by humbland; 01-06-2019 at 11:59 AM.
post #2087 of 2115 Old 01-06-2019, 02:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbland View Post
Interesting take. We have a similar set up. Our PJ is a Sharp Z30K 1080p DLP (with a Darbee). I had been using a Sony BR player. I wanted to get Atmos from as many discs as possible. So, I switched to a LG UBK90 4K player.
My experiences have been mostly positive. I've played a couple of 4K disks and they looked excellent down rezed to 1080p. Also, ordinary Blu ray discs play well on the LG. Plus, here is a bonus that I did not expect: legacy DVDs play very well on the LG. The upsampling and/or processing seem sharper then on the Sony BR player. Lastly, the load times on the LG UBK90 are faster I've been waiting to go to a 4K projector. I am a DLP fan from way back. Hoping for a 4K DLP with lens memory (for our dual screen set up). Until then, I thought I would dip my toes in the 4K water and try out a 4K player. If you are on the fence, then I encourage you to check it out.
Question: I have wondered if it's possible to play 4K Blu ray discs and get the benifits of HDR on a 1080p projector. Would one of the 4K players with tone mapping (like the new Panasonic) allow the down rezed 1080p signal to show a HDR picture on the projector?
I don't have atmos yet, but am thinking about it.....so a 4K player would be needed if I went with that. It's a bummer that Atmos tracks are almost exclusively on the 4K disc now. However, MI:Fallout includes Atmos on the standard Blu-ray

Tony
post #2088 of 2115 Old 01-08-2019, 08:04 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
another looking for 4k player comment

just bought a sony x900f and need to replace my blu-ray player to 4k. have no interest in a swiss army knife player. just want a basic player that does a great job at delivering an excellent 4k image and a great up converter for my existing library of hd blu-ray discs. not interested in apps or streaming etc. i dont watch dvds all that much so i don’t want to spend any more then i have to. my priorities are an excellent basic performer without all the bells and whistles at an affordable price. suggestions welcome
post #2089 of 2115 Old 01-09-2019, 02:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 706 Post(s)
Liked: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmorse22 View Post
just bought a sony x900f and need to replace my blu-ray player to 4k. have no interest in a swiss army knife player. just want a basic player that does a great job at delivering an excellent 4k image and a great up converter for my existing library of hd blu-ray discs. not interested in apps or streaming etc. i dont watch dvds all that much so i don’t want to spend any more then i have to. my priorities are an excellent basic performer without all the bells and whistles at an affordable price. suggestions welcome
I would recommend the LG UBK 80 if you are not interested in Dolby Vision. It will play HDR 10 and can be had for around £130. If you require Dolby Vision as well as HDR 10 then the LG UBK 90 is a good choice but expect to pay around £200.
Both players give great pictures and are no frills machines.
Just one thought and that is a lot of people let their TV do the upscaling as it is often as good as, or better than, the Bluray player.
I personally use the LG 970 which was the predecessor to the LG 90. Couldn't be happier with the video performance and it does Dolby Vision as well as HDR 10. I paid £140. for mine but you may not easliy find one now.

LG 65B7V - Arcam AVR 850 - Arcam FMJ P7 - 7.2.4 Atmos setup.

Last edited by alexbarbel; 01-09-2019 at 05:32 AM.
post #2090 of 2115 Old 01-09-2019, 06:26 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Go for Panasonic UB820

I was very sad i didnt get an Oppo 203 before they had the crazy markup but if you are running native 4K discs then the Panasonic UB820 is the way to go, i have seen a comparison video side by side between UB820 and the UB9000 and the 820 held very very good ( if you are planing on using HDMI for both video and audio )
post #2091 of 2115 Old 01-09-2019, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexbarbel View Post
I would recommend the LG UBK 80 if you are not interested in Dolby Vision. It will play HDR 10 and can be had for around £130. If you require Dolby Vision as well as HDR 10 then the LG UBK 90 is a good choice but expect to pay around £200.
Both players give great pictures and are no frills machines.
Just one thought and that is a lot of people let their TV do the upscaling as it is often as good as, or better than, the Bluray player.
I personally use the LG 970 which was the predecessor to the LG 90. Couldn't be happier with the video performance and it does Dolby Vision as well as HDR 10. I paid £140. for mine but you may not easliy find one now.
thx for the response. i read some reviews on the ubk90 and a few people said the dolby vision will not work with dolby vision compatible sony tvs. some software issue between the two. others say the player freezes at times with 4k discs.
post #2092 of 2115 Old 01-09-2019, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemo cave View Post
I was very sad i didnt get an Oppo 203 before they had the crazy markup but if you are running native 4K discs then the Panasonic UB820 is the way to go, i have seen a comparison video side by side between UB820 and the UB9000 and the 820 held very very good ( if you are planing on using HDMI for both video and audio )
the ub820 looks like a very good machine. except for the price that is. $500 is a bit steep for something that will get very little use.
post #2093 of 2115 Old 01-10-2019, 12:31 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Looks like the newly-announced Sony UBP-X800M2 might be competitive with the Oppo 203. No pricing announced yet, though. Hopefully Sony won't increase the price over the current Sony UBP-X800.

http://www.sony.com/electronics/blu...specifications

Supports pretty much every disc format known, as well as HDR10, Dolby Vision, Hybrid Log Gamma, etc.

Sci-Fi Theater, a modest 13-ft x 18-ft home theater room with riser
PROJECTOR: JVC NX7 (pre-ordered) | SCREEN: 115" Elunevision Reference 4K 1.0 gain
RECEIVER: Denon X8500H 13.2 | SOURCES: TiVo Bolt, Xbox One X, Apple TV 4K
SUBS: 2 x SVS SB16-Ultra | L/C/R: 3 x JTR 228HT | SURROUNDS: 6 x JTR Single 8HT-lp
ATMOS: 4 x MartinLogan 8" ElectroMotion R | SEATS: Seatcraft Diamante
post #2094 of 2115 Old 01-10-2019, 08:45 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Help purchasing 1st 4k Blu-Ray Player

It has been a long time since purchasing a Blu-Ray player because I always use my Playstation. I am in the market for a 4k player and don't really know where to go. I am willing to spend some money up to $300 to get a higher end player if that even makes sense. Any help or input is appreciated. Thanks
post #2095 of 2115 Old 01-10-2019, 09:14 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 8427 Post(s)
Liked: 5319
Quote:
Originally Posted by niez57 View Post
It has been a long time since purchasing a Blu-Ray player because I always use my Playstation. I am in the market for a 4k player and don't really know where to go. I am willing to spend some money up to $300 to get a higher end player if that even makes sense. Any help or input is appreciated. Thanks
Take a look at the Sony X800 or the soon to be released Sony X800M2.

The big question with the new Sony X800M2, is if it will be crippled for DV like the SOny X700 is. It requires a person to manually turn Dolby Vision on and off as needed. Instead of it automatically switching between SDR, HDR10, and DV like all other DV players can do.
I will not even consider the X800M2 if it behaves like the X700 does.

53TB unRAID2--45TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #2096 of 2115 Old 01-11-2019, 12:22 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Looking for a first fairly cheap 4k player that easily handles all the formats (DV, HDR, Atmos, etc), apps are good, wifi......
post #2097 of 2115 Old 01-11-2019, 01:21 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 5890 Post(s)
Liked: 5377
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmaace01 View Post
Looking for a first fairly cheap 4k player that easily handles all the formats (DV, HDR, Atmos, etc), apps are good, wifi......

Sony X700 (you have to manually turn off/ DV)
Phillips 7502 (not many apps)
LG UPk90 (not many apps)

The above 3 are the cheapest (less than $200 on sale) players that fufill DV/HDR10 requirement. You’ll need to make some sacrifices if you want cheap
sigmaace01 likes this.
post #2098 of 2115 Old 01-11-2019, 02:11 PM

Liked: 11
Will there be any HDMI 2.1 players coming out this season? Friend of mine is looking to get an LG C9 along with an UHD player later this year.
post #2099 of 2115 Old 01-11-2019, 07:28 PM

Which Panasonic blu-ray player should i buy?

Hello,

I have a question and hope somebody can help me

I'm planning on buying a Panasonic 4K blu-ray player, but can't decide between 2 models.
I'm not sure which one would suit me best with my current setup.
I have an Epson TW7300 (= 4040 in the US) and a Yamaha AV Receiver RX-V677.
It's my goal to use the player for only playing movies with my projector! So not on a 4K television (which I don't have).

So, here we go:

- Panasonic UB400 (2017 model)

OR

- Panasonic UB420 (2018 model): same as the UB400, but biggest changes are: dolby atmos/dts:x support, HDR10+, HDR optimizer.

I can buy the:
- UB400 at 230 € or approx. 263 $ (which is on sale right now)
OR
- UB420 at 270 € or approx. 309 $

Do I have enough with the UB400? Or is the UB420 a better choice? I mean, more futureproof or so?
Or is the HCX-processor much better on the newer model?

I have to decide fast, because I don't know how long the current discount will stand.

If this question has been asked already, please excuse me, I've searched the forum, but couldn't find any topic regarding this matter.
If so, please feel free to move or change my message. Thank you!

I'm looking forward to your answers!
post #2100 of 2115 Old 01-11-2019, 07:39 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 5890 Post(s)
Liked: 5377
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaItalia8 View Post
Will there be any HDMI 2.1 players coming out this season? Friend of mine is looking to get an LG C9 along with an UHD player later this year.

What would they need in a 2.1 player that isn’t offered already in players available today? Any Asher that does DV and HDR10 should suffice (8K not available and HDR10+ not offered by LG).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
4k player , blu ray , Blu Ray Players , dvd , hdcp upgrade compliance , hdr , hdr player , upscale 4k , upscaling , xbox one s