Forum Jump: 
 85Likes

post #361 of 378 Old 08-21-2016, 09:45 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1038 Post(s)
Liked: 373
Well my 460 seems to be having network issues. Just lost connection to the Pandora server. Tried other devices and they were fine. Unplugged, booted, etc., the 460 and its back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 378 Old 08-24-2016, 09:21 AM

Really disappointed in this 460. I've been a Panasonic bluray player fan for some time. Had this 460 for just over a month, just past the 30 day return window, and now the drawer opens but it is very loud like gears grinding. As noted above network connection having issues, Miracast is useless, etc.

Now I have to do the RMA thing for service.

Which will do but when it comes back, it'll go on eBAY or Craigslist. This is not acceptable. Its not a 60 dollar unit.

Quite disappointed.
post #363 of 378 Old 10-01-2016, 01:11 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 63
BDT-460 owner here. I was wondering what the consensus is on this model's 4K upscaling abilities? Is it better to just output 1080p to a 4K TV (I have the LG 65UH8500 if it matters), or use the 460's 4K upscaling?

Thanks

Last edited by Thunder18; 10-01-2016 at 01:12 PM. Reason: Misspelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #364 of 378 Old 10-02-2016, 08:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder18 View Post
BDT-460 owner here. I was wondering what the consensus is on this model's 4K upscaling abilities? Is it better to just output 1080p to a 4K TV (I have the LG 65UH8500 if it matters), or use the 460's 4K upscaling?

Thanks

Either way it's going to be upscale, and whether the player or panel should do it depends on the panel. Best bet is to try it both ways and see if you can tell a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thunder18 likes this.

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable. I've never seen Titanic OR XXXXXXXXX

The Cinema 1858 Remodel Thread
post #365 of 378 Old 10-03-2016, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillcat View Post
Either way it's going to be upscale, and whether the player or panel should do it depends on the panel. Best bet is to try it both ways and see if you can tell a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good point. I was under the impression that Panasonic's scaler was pretty good, but the tv is at least 2 years newer and may do a better job on its own.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk
post #366 of 378 Old 10-05-2016, 10:15 AM

Whatever happened with my 460 Panasonic indicated its not repairable. They are sending a new one. Something fried.
post #367 of 378 Old 10-05-2016, 03:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Unhappy 360 unable to play any discs

360 owner here (actually have 3 of them). One of my players has not been able to play any domestic BD's or dvd's for some time. The issue 'may' have started after I inadvertently tried to play a region B disc, or region 1 dvd. In any case, when the player powers on (and even before inserting a disc), the following message appears momentarily: 'No Compatible Content on Disc'. Upon trying to play a (domestic) disc, another message states: 'This Disc is Incompatible'. I have tried resetting the player to factory default, and toggled with the 'Mixed Data Disc Option' in the 'Unit Settings' with no success. It has the latest firmware (1.42). My other two 360's work fine, and I'm wondering if there's a possibility that this issue may not be model-specific. Any insight would be muchly appreciated

'' It's a test, designed to provoke an emotional response ... shall we continue ? ''

Last edited by ambientcafe; 10-06-2016 at 02:40 AM.
post #368 of 378 Old 10-06-2016, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmiddleton4 View Post
Whatever happened with my 460 Panasonic indicated its not repairable. They are sending a new one. Something fried.
Maybe that's a blessing. Lemons do make it out of the factory. As long as Panasonic is standing by their product and replacing it, hopefully your replacement will live up to Panasonic's reputation. I have a 460 and having dual outputs has saved me since my receiver doesn't support 3D over Blu-Ray (though it strangely supports 3D streamed via VUDU from my PS4 ). Anyway, I hope you'll reconsider putting it up on eBay. I think you'll find it's actually a pretty good unit.

Last edited by Thunder18; 10-06-2016 at 04:15 PM. Reason: spelling correction
post #369 of 378 Old 10-06-2016, 05:04 PM

I was disappointed as noted. I've been a Panasonic guy from day one of bluray. I also don't know why Panasonic hasn't gotten back to me about mlb.com app on the 460.

I'm looking forward to a new 460. But it might go to ebay simply because we're heading for UHD players, etc. And I don't need dual hdmi.
post #370 of 378 Old 10-06-2016, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmiddleton4 View Post
I was disappointed as noted. I've been a Panasonic guy from day one of bluray. I also don't know why Panasonic hasn't gotten back to me about mlb.com app on the 460.

I'm looking forward to a new 460. But it might go to ebay simply because we're heading for UHD players, etc. And I don't need dual hdmi.
Understable. I too had their 1st Blu-ray player, the one that had a computer grade drive in it. Then the BD55 and finally the 460.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk
post #371 of 378 Old 06-03-2017, 04:52 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Panasonic DMP-BD91 setup insanity - can anyone help

I think the quickest way for me to ask this question is to share a letter from my son-in-law and my reply, with his recommendations, and my inabilities to understand how to set this thing up to a Denon AVR3312CI receiver.

My first letter:

<< I'm really sorry to bother you, but I'm completely frustrated and don't who else to ask.

Question 1: My Denon receiver has 13 HDMI inputs. They're each labeled (eg, my maddening Panasonic Blu-Ray player is connected the the input marked "BD," my Roku box is connected to the input marked "Game 1," cable box/DVR is connected to the input marked "Sat/Cbl," etc. Does it matter WHICH component is connected to WHICH HDMI input on the receiver, or does the receiver recognize the signal and just pass it along to the correct circuit path? How about the "Phono" input for the turntable?

Question 2: As I think I told you, I got a MUCH smaller-footprint Panasonic Blu-Ray player, that's supposed to recognize Blu-Ray, DVD, DVD-R, DVD-RW (+ & -), CD,and I don't know what else (it's connected to the input marked "BD"), but I'm having audio problems I don't understand. I have 2 Blu-Ray discs from the same vendor (same production company, too). One of them plays fine, the other -- without changing any settings -- gives me video, but no audio whatsoever. In some other BDs, like the extended-edition "Lord of the Rings" you kindly gifted me, the main program plays fine, but "extra" stuff like "making of" segments also have perfectly fine video but no audio. Somewhere, either in the Blu-Ray player or the Denon receiver, the audio isn't set-up correctly -- I've asked about this in some of the A/V forums, and gotten completely conflicting advice, but the audio setups that work -- when they work at all -- with the main material seem to be:

Dynamic range: off

Digital Audio Output has 3 selections:

1. Dolby D/Dolby D+/Dolby True HD set to "Bitstream" (the other choice being "PCM")
2. DTS/DTS-HD HD set to "Bitstream" (the other choice being "PCM")
3. BD-Video Secondary Audio set to "off" (the other choice being "on")

The next audio selection is Downmix, set to "Stereo" (the other choice being "Surround encoded")

The next audio selection is DTS Neo 6, set to "off," (the other choices being "Cinema," or "Music"

Also, this multi-format player has never been able to play a standard DVD, and I haven't even TRIED a burned DVD, or a CD.

Sorry to bother you, but I hope you can help. >>

His reply, with my answers interspersed. I hope this isn't too confusing -- it sure as hell has confused me:

<<
So hook up like so:

Panasonic Blue ray player —> Blu-ray Disc Player
Roku —> DVD player
CableBox —> Sat/Cbl

Did that.

So the Phono input (with the ground lug) will have the RIAA curve added to it, use that only with a turntable, and only with a Moving Magnet cartridge, as it does not have enough gain for a Low Voltage Moving Coil cartridge. If you had a MC cartridge you would need a Step up transformer with the proper gain.

It's an MM.

Ok, So I think you have a setting that is wonky.

Dynamic Range compression —> off

Yup

1. Dolby D/Dolby D+/Dolby True HD set to PCM

Will ONLY give me video set to Bitstream

2. DTS/DTS-HD HD set to PCM

3. BD-Video Secondary Audio set to ON

Bitstream will not work with all disks. BUT PCM will… Also the BD-Video Secondary audio is for your extra material on a disk.

I've never gotten PCM to produce audio OR video, in any setup. I've never gotten Secondary Audio with ANY settings.

You do not want to Downmix I think you can set it to PC

The only choices in "Downmix" are:
"Stereo"
or
"Surround encoded"

'Downmix methods can be switched for multi surround audio playback.
If a device that can switch from 2ch to Multi-ch surround is connected, select "Surround encoded"'

You do not want to set anything to DTS Neo:6,

DTS Neo:6 has always been off

I believe you can also Set your Video mode and Audio Mode to AUTO, that way it will change based on source material.

Here are Video settings available (UNLESS you go into options, where the number of choices is nightmarish)

Can only set "Video" > "Picture Mode" to:
"Normal"
"Soft"
"Fine"
"User"

Picture Adjustment:
Only available in "Picture Mode" > "User"

HDMI Resolution:
Auto* [where it's always been set]
480p
720p
1080i
1080p
* When "Auto is selected, the resolution will be optimally set for your TV in 1080p, 1080i, 720p or 480p

24p output: "off" or "on"*

<< *BD-Video/DVD-Video in 24p, please change this setting to "On" and then change "24p" to "On" located in OPTION >>

Like I said, this separate "option" button on the remote takes you into madhouse of settings, where the number of choices is nightmarish. Just to make it a little worse, you can only GET to OPTIONS at a certain point in the disk's startup, and there are so many choices, it's impossible to go through them all before the OPTIONS overlay screen times out, so for now, I've left the 24p to "off". I've also left "off" 'Deep Color Output' and 'Contents Type Flag'

So, after going through all that, the "F1" Blu-Ray STILL doesn't give me audio -- in either PCM or Bitstream -- in fact NOTHING gives me audio in Bitstream, though in some modes, I DO get video. Also, NO setup gives me secondary audio, period.

I have older, unused, Blu-Ray players and separate DVD players I'm going to try next, but I'm completely flummoxed. It may well be this brand new player is hosed, but it's about as easy getting hold of any kind of tech support at Panasonic that doesn't cost $100 per second as it is to call the Director of the CIA.

Thanks for your help! >>

I hope members of this forum understand this gibberish, and have some suggestions, other than taping C4 to the BD91 and blowing it to dust. Thankfully, I have no C4.

Peace,

Bart Brown
post #372 of 378 Old 06-06-2017, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartbrn View Post
I think the quickest way for me to ask this question is to share a letter from my son-in-law and my reply, with his recommendations, and my inabilities to understand how to set this thing up to a Denon AVR3312CI receiver.

My first letter:

<< I'm really sorry to bother you, but I'm completely frustrated and don't who else to ask.

Question 1: My Denon receiver has 13 HDMI inputs. They're each labeled (eg, my maddening Panasonic Blu-Ray player is connected the the input marked "BD," my Roku box is connected to the input marked "Game 1," cable box/DVR is connected to the input marked "Sat/Cbl," etc. Does it matter WHICH component is connected to WHICH HDMI input on the receiver, or does the receiver recognize the signal and just pass it along to the correct circuit path? How about the "Phono" input for the turntable?

Question 2: As I think I told you, I got a MUCH smaller-footprint Panasonic Blu-Ray player, that's supposed to recognize Blu-Ray, DVD, DVD-R, DVD-RW (+ & -), CD,and I don't know what else (it's connected to the input marked "BD"), but I'm having audio problems I don't understand. I have 2 Blu-Ray discs from the same vendor (same production company, too). One of them plays fine, the other -- without changing any settings -- gives me video, but no audio whatsoever. In some other BDs, like the extended-edition "Lord of the Rings" you kindly gifted me, the main program plays fine, but "extra" stuff like "making of" segments also have perfectly fine video but no audio. Somewhere, either in the Blu-Ray player or the Denon receiver, the audio isn't set-up correctly -- I've asked about this in some of the A/V forums, and gotten completely conflicting advice, but the audio setups that work -- when they work at all -- with the main material seem to be:

Dynamic range: off

Digital Audio Output has 3 selections:

1. Dolby D/Dolby D+/Dolby True HD set to "Bitstream" (the other choice being "PCM")
2. DTS/DTS-HD HD set to "Bitstream" (the other choice being "PCM")
3. BD-Video Secondary Audio set to "off" (the other choice being "on")

The next audio selection is Downmix, set to "Stereo" (the other choice being "Surround encoded")

The next audio selection is DTS Neo 6, set to "off," (the other choices being "Cinema," or "Music"

Also, this multi-format player has never been able to play a standard DVD, and I haven't even TRIED a burned DVD, or a CD.

Sorry to bother you, but I hope you can help. >>

His reply, with my answers interspersed. I hope this isn't too confusing -- it sure as hell has confused me:

<<
So hook up like so:

Panasonic Blue ray player —> Blu-ray Disc Player
Roku —> DVD player
CableBox —> Sat/Cbl

Did that.

So the Phono input (with the ground lug) will have the RIAA curve added to it, use that only with a turntable, and only with a Moving Magnet cartridge, as it does not have enough gain for a Low Voltage Moving Coil cartridge. If you had a MC cartridge you would need a Step up transformer with the proper gain.

It's an MM.

Ok, So I think you have a setting that is wonky.

Dynamic Range compression —> off

Yup

1. Dolby D/Dolby D+/Dolby True HD set to PCM

2. DTS/DTS-HD HD set to PCM

3. BD-Video Secondary Audio set to ON

Bitstream will not work with all disks. BUT PCM will… Also the BD-Video Secondary audio is for your extra material on a disk.

I've never gotten PCM to produce audio OR video, in any setup. I've never gotten Secondary Audio with ANY settings.

You do not want to Downmix I think you can set it to PC

The only choices in "Downmix" are:
"Stereo"
or
"Surround encoded"

'Downmix methods can be switched for multi surround audio playback.
If a device that can switch from 2ch to Multi-ch surround is connected, select "Surround encoded"'

You do not want to set anything to DTS Neo:6,

DTS Neo:6 has always been off

I believe you can also Set your Video mode and Audio Mode to AUTO, that way it will change based on source material.

Here are Video settings available (UNLESS you go into options, where the number of choices is nightmarish)

Can only set "Video" > "Picture Mode" to:
"Normal"
"Soft"
"Fine"
"User"

Picture Adjustment:
Only available in "Picture Mode" > "User"

HDMI Resolution:
Auto* [where it's always been set]
480p
720p
1080i
1080p
* When "Auto is selected, the resolution will be optimally set for your TV in 1080p, 1080i, 720p or 480p

24p output: "off" or "on"*

<< *BD-Video/DVD-Video in 24p, please change this setting to "On" and then change "24p" to "On" located in OPTION >>

Like I said, this separate "option" button on the remote takes you into madhouse of settings, where the number of choices is nightmarish. Just to make it a little worse, you can only GET to OPTIONS at a certain point in the disk's startup, and there are so many choices, it's impossible to go through them all before the OPTIONS overlay screen times out, so for now, I've left the 24p to "off". I've also left "off" 'Deep Color Output' and 'Contents Type Flag'

So, after going through all that, the "F1" Blu-Ray STILL doesn't give me audio -- in either PCM or Bitstream -- in fact NOTHING gives me audio in Bitstream, though in some modes, I DO get video. Also, NO setup gives me secondary audio, period.

I have older, unused, Blu-Ray players and separate DVD players I'm going to try next, but I'm completely flummoxed. It may well be this brand new player is hosed, but it's about as easy getting hold of any kind of tech support at Panasonic that doesn't cost $100 per second as it is to call the Director of the CIA.

Thanks for your help! >>

I hope members of this forum understand this gibberish, and have some suggestions, other than taping C4 to the BD91 and blowing it to dust. Thankfully, I have no C4.

Peace,

Bart Brown
In the digital audio output menu section the first 2 Dolby and dts should be set to bitstream and make sure bd video secondary audio is set to off. This should fix your audio problems.
post #373 of 378 Old 06-18-2017, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Okay, here,s what I did: hooked up (via HDMI) a Panasonic DMP-BD75 I've had laying around the house. Without even looking at the settings (something I should done with the DMP-BD91 -- anyone know how I can get the factory settingd back on the DMP-BD91?), I started feeding the DMP-BD75 disks:

LoTR Extended Edition Blu-ray: Video, and both main program and "extras" (25 hours worth) secondary audio perfect.

Several other Blu-rays with main program and secondary audio perfect

Several DVDs -- main program and secondary audio perfect

Mixed Media burned DVDs -- video and audio perfect

Mixed-media (AIFF and mp4) CDs - video and audio perfect

Commercial CDs - audio perfect

Mixed Media burned CDs (mp3 and mp4) - audio perfect

I have yet to find any disc meant for this player that doesn't play as it should, and I STILL haven't touched the settings.

My nitwit conclusion is that the BMP-BD91 is either hosed, or that it needs its settings set back to factory defaults, and perhaps a firmware update. Anyone know
how to reset to factory settings, and how I can do a firmware update?

Thanks for putting up with my dimwittedness, and all the help!

Bart
post #374 of 378 Old 06-19-2017, 09:08 PM

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartbrn View Post
Okay, here,s what I did: hooked up (via HDMI) a Panasonic DMP-BD75 I've had laying around the house. Without even looking at the settings (something I should done with the DMP-BD91 -- anyone know how I can get the factory settingd back on the DMP-BD91?), I started feeding the DMP-BD75 disks:

LoTR Extended Edition Blu-ray: Video, and both main program and "extras" (25 hours worth) secondary audio perfect.

Several other Blu-rays with main program and secondary audio perfect

Several DVDs -- main program and secondary audio perfect

Mixed Media burned DVDs -- video and audio perfect

Mixed-media (AIFF and mp4) CDs - video and audio perfect

Commercial CDs - audio perfect

Mixed Media burned CDs (mp3 and mp4) - audio perfect

I have yet to find any disc meant for this player that doesn't play as it should, and I STILL haven't touched the settings.

My nitwit conclusion is that the BMP-BD91 is either hosed, or that it needs its settings set back to factory defaults, and perhaps a firmware update. Anyone know
how to reset to factory settings, and how I can do a firmware update?

Thanks for putting up with my dimwittedness, and all the help!

Bart
Here is link to product support http://shop.panasonic.com/support-only/DMP-BD91.html
post #375 of 378 Old 10-29-2017, 04:51 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Angry Panasonic DMP-BDT360 shutting down

Tried to use by 3D Blu-ray player last night to play new 3D dvd(Titanic). It read the disc started and then switched itself off. Tried other discs which have worked in the past and some worked and some didn't with the player just switching off. I had also bought a 3d set of underwater Jacques Cousteau films and all 3 played perfectly. I tried a firmware update for the player but was told the latest firmware was already installed. I have reset the player and also unplugged it from the mains all to no avail. Does anyone know what can be done please?
post #376 of 378 Old 09-29-2018, 11:01 PM

Panasonic DMP-DBT360 2012 can not play many discs internet connection is active.

I have been dealing with an issue the last three or four years with my Panasonic player, that has finally gotten to the point where I can no longer just do work around like turning off the players network connection. I WOULD LIKE THIS ISSUE SOLVED.... PERMANENTLY, or, short of this, an explanation of why my issue is occurring.
THE ISSUE:

When I go to play non rental versions of many movies I rent from Netflix, the movie will start to load, but freeze up midway. Sometimes it just sits there, others times it boots me back to the players main menu. The latest time, I was trying to play pacific rim uprising, and it would get most of the way through the universal studios logo animation, and then it should freeze up, and eventually boot me back to the players main menu.to I took the disc back to the Samsung player in another room, and it started up flawlessly. Inspecting the disc, it was nearly flawless in condition, no scratches, only a few smudges easily cleaned off. Only after going into the Panasonic's network menu and purposely disabling the network connection, would the disc start up with out issue. There does not seem to be the any issues with some of the older discs I own, but many newer discs have issues.
post #377 of 378 Old 01-05-2019, 05:11 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hello,

I know that the DMP-BD91 is like five years, old, but does anyone know how long Panasonic typically releases firmware for?

This player's latest firmware is from August 2017. I am running into disks that will no play on it, but plays on other players. I've even tried turning off the network and plugging in a thumb drive to give it m ore memory.

Is there a small change the the newer firmware for DMP-BD93 would work on it. Doubt it, but worth asking.

Thanks
post #378 of 378 Old 01-09-2019, 01:38 AM

Panasonic DMP-BDT380 - Remote Won't Activate Unit

Hello everyone, couldn't find an official thread for this machine so hoping you can help.

Had this player for about a month. All OK until a few days ago when the remote failed to activate the device.

It will turn on if I press the power button on the actual machine. Once on the remote works fine and can then turn on and off the unit.

However. after the machine has been turned off a few hours the problem returns.

It's also as if the machine is in a coma and can only be woken by the power button on the unit.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
dmp-bd91 , Panasonic , setup issues