Forum Jump: 
 94Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #61 of 511 Old 11-19-2013, 01:43 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
anthonymoody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: ny, ny usa
Posts: 6,884
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 787 Post(s)
Liked: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemiza View Post

No. I always updated nonetheless still going strong since 07. Besides some blurays wouldn't work if I didn't.

That's exactly my point. You can't compare the day one capabilities of the PS4 to the "day seven year" capabilities of the PS3.

As for quality control issues, we simply don't know whether there are more issues as a % of launch PS4s vs launch PS3s. Anyone who says they do (other than extreme higher ups at Sony) are speculating at best, lying at worst. Trying to read the tea leaves based on grousing in an online forum is silly and fruitless.

If you have a non-functioning PS4 I feel for you. But that experience does not indicate anything other than that the one you got doesn't work.

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
anthonymoody is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 511 Old 11-19-2013, 03:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
kemiza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Circle City
Posts: 1,161
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post

That's exactly my point. You can't compare the day one capabilities of the PS4 to the "day seven year" capabilities of the PS3.

As for quality control issues, we simply don't know whether there are more issues as a % of launch PS4s vs launch PS3s. Anyone who says they do (other than extreme higher ups at Sony) are speculating at best, lying at worst. Trying to read the tea leaves based on grousing in an online forum is silly and fruitless.

If you have a non-functioning PS4 I feel for you. But that experience does not indicate anything other than that the one you got doesn't work.
Not the point I was trying to make but thanks for the info.

Panasonic TC-P50ST60 plasma HD television, Onkyo TX-SR805 and PIONEER ELITE VSX-47TX receivers, Klipsch RB-75(2 pair) and RB-61 bookshelf speakers, Klipsch RSW-10, RSW-12(2), Velodyne HGS-12, HGS-18 subwoofers, OPPO BDP-103, PS3 80G, PIONEER DV-525 dvd player, Klipsch RS-42 surrounds, Klipsch RC-52 center channel
kemiza is offline  
post #63 of 511 Old 11-19-2013, 04:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Closet Geek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,143
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 170
I appreciate the notion that Sony was trying to get the unit in the stores for the holiday season and just focused on the gaming aspect. The problem with that is there aren't even that many titles to go along with it. And it won't even play previous model games. Yeah, not getting that. While I think there will be long term solutions, Sony was asleep at the wheel this time I think.

Anyone else think it's odd that on the PS4 as a Blu Ray thread very little is being said about it as a BD player?
Closet Geek is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #64 of 511 Old 11-19-2013, 05:16 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
anthonymoody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: ny, ny usa
Posts: 6,884
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 787 Post(s)
Liked: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet Geek View Post

I appreciate the notion that Sony was trying to get the unit in the stores for the holiday season and just focused on the gaming aspect. The problem with that is there aren't even that many titles to go along with it. And it won't even play previous model games. Yeah, not getting that. While I think there will be long term solutions, Sony was asleep at the wheel this time I think.

Anyone else think it's odd that on the PS4 as a Blu Ray thread very little is being said about it as a BD player?

In a vacuum, yes. But with MSFT as real time competition it seems pretty clear they had to make the decision to release now, imperfect though it is. They couldn't risk giving MSFT a 6-12 month head start. I'm sure they would've preferred for example that a 4K consumer video format standard had been agreed to first among other things.

For my part I'm giving it as a family Xmas gift (though am doing updates and installs in advance so it's ready to go...) so haven't tried it as such yet.

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
anthonymoody is offline  
post #65 of 511 Old 11-19-2013, 10:52 PM
Newbie
 
zanth99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm not going to worry about features a whole lot until February. It plays my PS4 games, and I still have my PS3, so no worries. Did you guys really expect everything to be perfect when the US launch of a Japanese system is 3 months prior to the Japanese launch? We're open beta testers guys.
zanth99 is offline  
post #66 of 511 Old 11-20-2013, 07:05 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
anthonymoody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: ny, ny usa
Posts: 6,884
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 787 Post(s)
Liked: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by zanth99 View Post

I'm not going to worry about features a whole lot until February. It plays my PS4 games, and I still have my PS3, so no worries. Did you guys really expect everything to be perfect when the US launch of a Japanese system is 3 months prior to the Japanese launch? We're open beta testers guys.

Exactly. And if that bothers people they should stay away.

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
anthonymoody is offline  
post #67 of 511 Old 11-20-2013, 07:56 AM
Newbie
 
djeclipse25's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: wisconsin
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I don't know how to even start one, or even how to get the company to look at people asking, but this is my argument with the PS4:

The PS3 should have been a baseline for the PS4 for. The fact that Sony pushed and pushed for adopters, which they got, just not in staggering numbers CEO's like to see on paper, they turned their backs on the people backing the fledgling tech. The fact that I have 50 3D movies, a 3000 dollar 3D plasma screen, 9 pairs of LCD glasses, and the fact there is new autostereoscopic video devices supposed to be released this 2013, and 2014 to please the individuals not wanting to wear glasses, which I think is inevitabley all of us.
The fact that the system has the capability, and they crippled it is frustrating enough, but to have multiple A/V devices to play movies is not only a burden to my Wife's wants and needs to have a more minimalistic approach to all of my A/V equipment wink.gif but I don't think I want to need to have multiple devices that can do, or do the same thing. Also, I am running out of optical, and HDMI inputs biggrin.gif


My second gripe for the system:

Too all of my PC gamers out there that know what I know. How much space does a typical PC game take up this modern age? 38GB for BF4..... I think not.... A typical install without DLC is roughly, at the moment, 14GB. Sony installs a 2.5" 500GB hard drive to install ALL of your games to that occupy 15 to 50 GB per. ONLY 400GB is available becasue the system reserves 100GB. Why are these games taking up so much room for one. I completely understand installing them because the optical drive is to slow to respond, and increasing performance, bravo for this. I would like them to illuminate why these games are taking up so much room.
It reminds me of the days when I had a 386 with 512mb hdd, and had to constantly uninstall things to put something new on, and these days this is complicated due to all of the updates that will need to be downloaded and re-installed if you choose to go this route. I am not of course, and I am working on a mod.

Anyone that agrees with me on this??? Can we speak loud enough to get our way??
djeclipse25 is offline  
post #68 of 511 Old 11-20-2013, 09:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Closet Geek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,143
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by djeclipse25 View Post

I don't know how to even start one, or even how to get the company to look at people asking, but this is my argument with the PS4:

The PS3 should have been a baseline for the PS4 for. The fact that Sony pushed and pushed for adopters, which they got, just not in staggering numbers CEO's like to see on paper, they turned their backs on the people backing the fledgling tech. The fact that I have 50 3D movies, a 3000 dollar 3D plasma screen, 9 pairs of LCD glasses, and the fact there is new autostereoscopic video devices supposed to be released this 2013, and 2014 to please the individuals not wanting to wear glasses, which I think is inevitabley all of us.
The fact that the system has the capability, and they crippled it is frustrating enough, but to have multiple A/V devices to play movies is not only a burden to my Wife's wants and needs to have a more minimalistic approach to all of my A/V equipment wink.gif but I don't think I want to need to have multiple devices that can do, or do the same thing. Also, I am running out of optical, and HDMI inputs biggrin.gif


My second gripe for the system:

Too all of my PC gamers out there that know what I know. How much space does a typical PC game take up this modern age? 38GB for BF4..... I think not.... A typical install without DLC is roughly, at the moment, 14GB. Sony installs a 2.5" 500GB hard drive to install ALL of your games to that occupy 15 to 50 GB per. ONLY 400GB is available becasue the system reserves 100GB. Why are these games taking up so much room for one. I completely understand installing them because the optical drive is to slow to respond, and increasing performance, bravo for this. I would like them to illuminate why these games are taking up so much room.
It reminds me of the days when I had a 386 with 512mb hdd, and had to constantly uninstall things to put something new on, and these days this is complicated due to all of the updates that will need to be downloaded and re-installed if you choose to go this route. I am not of course, and I am working on a mod.

Anyone that agrees with me on this??? Can we speak loud enough to get our way??

I agree that Sony had this huge initiative to build a loyal customer/fan base with the PS3 and now has seemingly turned their backs on them. It's like the equivalent of Apple saying hey we have the iPhone 6 but it won't connect to to your home wifi. Only Apple hotspots in certain locations. And your apps on the old phone won't work. But we have a cool new user interface.

Now, one thing I happened to think about was another machine. If the PS4 is the gamers box is it possible that Sony will introduce a gaming lite box that's more of a media hub?
djeclipse25 likes this.
Closet Geek is offline  
post #69 of 511 Old 11-20-2013, 12:33 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
anthonymoody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: ny, ny usa
Posts: 6,884
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 787 Post(s)
Liked: 605
The PS4 was in literally *no way* built onto or as an extension of the PS3's architecture. It's all new from the ground up and every single bit of functionality had to be newly (re)created for it (some apps with fairly open architecture like the new nflx app are easy ports). While it would've been nice for Sony to have had the foresight to get enough resources on the project early enough to get every current PS3 functionality into the PS4 at launch, they did not. But do you really think they're going to let it sit at this point? Hell there have already been two system updates and it's been out for under a week.

Patience grasshoppers. If in a few months we don't have more of these basic functions included I will admit there is a problem. I don't think that will be the case and so I purchased one without hesitation.

And for those looking, there are scores of threads on the PS4 in the forum " playstation" area, including one cataloging the list of currently missing features.
gus738 likes this.

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
anthonymoody is offline  
post #70 of 511 Old 11-20-2013, 11:43 PM
Newbie
 
zanth99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Agreed. It was no secret what features would not be available at launch, they have made many comments in interviews saying this or that would not be available at launch. No one has forced any of you to buy this product. It is first and foremost a game console, I think a lot of people are forgetting that. Am I a little disappointed it won't play my 3D Blurays or stream from my media server? Sure. But I knew that going in. I still have my PS3 hooked up, as I still want to play PS3 games, so it's not going anywhere anytime soon. Again people, give it a few months, features are coming, I bet we'll have a ton more by JP launch in February.
zanth99 is offline  
post #71 of 511 Old 11-21-2013, 02:41 PM
Advanced Member
 
matrix123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 787
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Hello can anyone help with the optimal ps4 settings for blu ray playback? I read somewhere that settings are different than ps3. Thanks.
matrix123 is offline  
post #72 of 511 Old 11-22-2013, 07:39 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
anthonymoody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: ny, ny usa
Posts: 6,884
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 787 Post(s)
Liked: 605
Blu-Ray.com put up a pretty scathing review, though it had nothing to do with A/V quality which they said was excellent. It was all about the bugs, lack of features (3D, BT remote, etc) all of which I'm confident Sony will rectify in time, and probably relatively quickly.

Btw the competing console is also shipping without 3D enabled.

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
anthonymoody is offline  
post #73 of 511 Old 11-22-2013, 12:14 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
lovingdvd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 12,906
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3633 Post(s)
Liked: 806
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post

...
Btw the competing console is also shipping without 3D enabled.

Yes, and that's exactly what worries me the most about the situation.
lovingdvd is offline  
post #74 of 511 Old 11-24-2013, 10:00 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
anthonymoody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: ny, ny usa
Posts: 6,884
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 787 Post(s)
Liked: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post

Yes, and that's exactly what worries me the most about the situation.

Why bc there's no competition to spur them on? Tbh I think all these fears are crazy unfounded given how aggressively the PS3 was updated over time. Jeez when the PS3 was released there was literally no such thing as 3D Blu ray and yet....

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
anthonymoody is offline  
post #75 of 511 Old 11-24-2013, 01:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
kemiza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Circle City
Posts: 1,161
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Do you own a PS4 anthonymoody?

Panasonic TC-P50ST60 plasma HD television, Onkyo TX-SR805 and PIONEER ELITE VSX-47TX receivers, Klipsch RB-75(2 pair) and RB-61 bookshelf speakers, Klipsch RSW-10, RSW-12(2), Velodyne HGS-12, HGS-18 subwoofers, OPPO BDP-103, PS3 80G, PIONEER DV-525 dvd player, Klipsch RS-42 surrounds, Klipsch RC-52 center channel
kemiza is offline  
post #76 of 511 Old 11-24-2013, 02:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
saprano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bronx NY
Posts: 4,114
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 577 Post(s)
Liked: 586
A Japanese Sony executive mentioned in an interview that they're aiming for PS3's bluray quality, and better, with PS4 and that it will be updated constantly to add new features. I guess we just have to be patient.

home theater addict
saprano is offline  
post #77 of 511 Old 11-24-2013, 02:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
kemiza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Circle City
Posts: 1,161
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Of course the PS4 will evolve in the future but its a hard pill to swallow knowing that the latest new console will do "less" than its predecessor(7 years ago) out the gate. Don't make any sense.

Panasonic TC-P50ST60 plasma HD television, Onkyo TX-SR805 and PIONEER ELITE VSX-47TX receivers, Klipsch RB-75(2 pair) and RB-61 bookshelf speakers, Klipsch RSW-10, RSW-12(2), Velodyne HGS-12, HGS-18 subwoofers, OPPO BDP-103, PS3 80G, PIONEER DV-525 dvd player, Klipsch RS-42 surrounds, Klipsch RC-52 center channel
kemiza is offline  
post #78 of 511 Old 11-24-2013, 02:55 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
mdavej's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 14,312
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2826 Post(s)
Liked: 1251
Makes perfect sense. Sony wants to sell game consoles at the lowest possible cost to undercut Microsoft. If you want other media, Sony wants you to buy one of their BD players or streaming boxes. All-in-ones like PS3 are history. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for all the features of the PS3 to be added to the PS4. It's not going to happen.
mdavej is offline  
post #79 of 511 Old 11-25-2013, 08:05 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
anthonymoody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: ny, ny usa
Posts: 6,884
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 787 Post(s)
Liked: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemiza View Post

Do you own a PS4 anthonymoody?

Of course I do.

@mdavej - there is literally nothing to make one think that, and ample chatter out of Sony including directly from the top that the opposite is true. Time will tell, but I bet large that you're very very wrong.

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
anthonymoody is offline  
post #80 of 511 Old 11-25-2013, 08:16 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
mdavej's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 14,312
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2826 Post(s)
Liked: 1251
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post

Of course I do.

@mdavej - there is literally nothing to make one think that, and ample chatter out of Sony including directly from the top that the opposite is true. Time will tell, but I bet large that you're very very wrong.
I'll believe it when I see it.
mdavej is offline  
post #81 of 511 Old 11-25-2013, 08:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
saprano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bronx NY
Posts: 4,114
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 577 Post(s)
Liked: 586
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemiza View Post

Of course the PS4 will evolve in the future but its a hard pill to swallow knowing that the latest new console will do "less" than its predecessor(7 years ago) out the gate. Don't make any sense.

The OS is completely different from the PS3. Everything has to be written from scratch. PS3 features can't just be copied over. I'm not defending them, I think they should of had these features in by launch. But needing an update to have a complete OS shows they were in a hurry to release this year. So they focused on the most basic stuff and gaming. There will be many updates to make bluray functionality better.

home theater addict
saprano is offline  
post #82 of 511 Old 11-25-2013, 08:27 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
lovingdvd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 12,906
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3633 Post(s)
Liked: 806
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post

Why bc there's no competition to spur them on? Tbh I think all these fears are crazy unfounded given how aggressively the PS3 was updated over time. Jeez when the PS3 was released there was literally no such thing as 3D Blu ray and yet....

IMO there is less incentive for Sony to add 3D blu-ray support to the PS4 than there would be if the Xbone at least supported it. Also with the seemingly waning support of 3D by the industry in general it makes me concerned whether this 3D blu-ray support will come and if so how long we will have to wait. For example it seems 3D support by the industry has really taken a large step back recently. We have both Sony and MS not prioritizing 3D blu-ray playback high enough to make it available at launch. We have ESPN that is (or has already?) dropped its 3D channel. We have waning 3D support in games - for example the best part of Killzone 3 IMO was its 3D support, and now we have a new console that is supposed to have the full power to do great 3D gaming yet Killzone completely dropped 3D in this next generation title. So as I start adding this up in my head I get concerned that 3D is losing any momentum that it may have had. I'm a huge fan of it and disappointed to see its not catching on. Anyway - as I think about it this is why I get a little concerned on whether we'll see 3D blu-ray support added. I feel like we will, eventually, but it would be great to get confirmation from Sony that it is coming.
lovingdvd is offline  
post #83 of 511 Old 11-27-2013, 06:57 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
anthonymoody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: ny, ny usa
Posts: 6,884
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 787 Post(s)
Liked: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post

IMO there is less incentive for Sony to add 3D blu-ray support to the PS4 than there would be if the Xbone at least supported it. Also with the seemingly waning support of 3D by the industry in general it makes me concerned whether this 3D blu-ray support will come and if so how long we will have to wait. For example it seems 3D support by the industry has really taken a large step back recently. We have both Sony and MS not prioritizing 3D blu-ray playback high enough to make it available at launch. We have ESPN that is (or has already?) dropped its 3D channel. We have waning 3D support in games - for example the best part of Killzone 3 IMO was its 3D support, and now we have a new console that is supposed to have the full power to do great 3D gaming yet Killzone completely dropped 3D in this next generation title. So as I start adding this up in my head I get concerned that 3D is losing any momentum that it may have had. I'm a huge fan of it and disappointed to see its not catching on. Anyway - as I think about it this is why I get a little concerned on whether we'll see 3D blu-ray support added. I feel like we will, eventually, but it would be great to get confirmation from Sony that it is coming.

One thing Sony is that MSFT is not is a major movie studio. By itself that gives it plenty of incentive to put 3D into as many homes as possible, including via the PS4.

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
anthonymoody is offline  
post #84 of 511 Old 12-05-2013, 09:12 AM
Member
 
CeeBoogie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 126
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 12
For those who want to know if the PS4 can bit stream it most certainly can. While you're watching a movie hit the option button on the controller and go to settings, go to audio formats then select bitstream direct and now your reciever will show you the cool light and dts hd master or dolby truhd.... It also is louder, clearer, and more dynamic!!!
bpeacock22 likes this.
CeeBoogie is offline  
post #85 of 511 Old 12-05-2013, 09:16 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 12,064
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2730 Post(s)
Liked: 925
Is there any way to keep the sign-in screen that shows up when the controller is turned on from showing up? I'm using my PS4 as a BD player and for Netflix/Amazon VOD Streaming and I have the controller power down set to 10 mins. When I go to turn it back on should I need to pause the video, the sign-in screen shows up and blocks the video when it's still playing.

Samsung 55" MU8000
Yamaha RX-A2070
KEF Q150 Bookshelf x 5
Rythmik L12 Sealed Subwoofer
PlasmaPZ80U is offline  
post #86 of 511 Old 12-08-2013, 06:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
drhankz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 6,634
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

Is there any way to keep the sign-in screen that shows up when the controller is turned on from showing up? I'm using my PS4 as a BD player and for Netflix/Amazon VOD Streaming and I have the controller power down set to 10 mins. When I go to turn it back on should I need to pause the video, the sign-in screen shows up and blocks the video when it's still playing.

WHY power down after 10 minutes?

Why not leave it ON?
drhankz is online now  
post #87 of 511 Old 12-08-2013, 10:15 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 12,064
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2730 Post(s)
Liked: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post

WHY power down after 10 minutes?

Why not leave it ON?

I don't want to drain the battery while watching video.

Samsung 55" MU8000
Yamaha RX-A2070
KEF Q150 Bookshelf x 5
Rythmik L12 Sealed Subwoofer
PlasmaPZ80U is offline  
post #88 of 511 Old 12-10-2013, 11:36 AM
Senior Member
 
Rob67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 349
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I don't see much talk about the PS4 as a blu ray player, here. I was wondering how it compares to the PS3 in terms of features and options (aside from lacking 3D, which I don't care about, anyway)?

I am already leaning away from the PS4 as it doesn't play friendly as a DLNA streaming device for movies/mp3s.
Rob67 is offline  
post #89 of 511 Old 12-10-2013, 12:24 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
mdavej's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 14,312
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2826 Post(s)
Liked: 1251
Well one option that's definitely missing is the ability to use a remote. I think having a game controller in hand just to watch a movie would be a PITA. Sony has clearly designed this thing for gaming only, which is a perfectly reasonable thing to do. But that means using the PS4 for other purposes is going to be awkward, if not impossible. I think it's time to accept that this is not the all-in-one gaming/media device the PS3 was. That ship has sailed.
mdavej is offline  
post #90 of 511 Old 12-10-2013, 04:35 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 12,064
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2730 Post(s)
Liked: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Well one option that's definitely missing is the ability to use a remote. I think having a game controller in hand just to watch a movie would be a PITA. Sony has clearly designed this thing for gaming only, which is a perfectly reasonable thing to do. But that means using the PS4 for other purposes is going to be awkward, if not impossible. I think it's time to accept that this is not the all-in-one gaming/media device the PS3 was. That ship has sailed.
give Sony time, a simple firmware update can add support for a remote and more media apps can be added at anytime

Sony just needs enough feedback from owners to solve launch window issues with the console. Not unlike the changes Microsoft made to the xbox one before it even launched.

Samsung 55" MU8000
Yamaha RX-A2070
KEF Q150 Bookshelf x 5
Rythmik L12 Sealed Subwoofer
PlasmaPZ80U is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Playstation 4 Console , ps4



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off