94Likes

post #31 of 511 Old 11-09-2013, 07:36 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Hi,
Sony likely doesnt want thé ps4 to be what thé ps3 became "an everything box"!

They would rather sell you a gaming machine; a 4k bluray player; and a media server. 3 boxes instead of one.

Just my opinion, but I cancelled my ps4 order, gonna wait a few yrs to see what happens. Too many ifs right now and that lack of mp3 & Dlna says way too much for me
vilfrard likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 511 Old 11-09-2013, 03:17 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2826 Post(s)
Liked: 1251
I agree. The PS3 served its purpose being the all in one to kill off HD DVD. Now Sony wants to sell you as many different boxes as possible. But I'm not buying this time.
post #33 of 511 Old 11-12-2013, 08:42 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Yep, really messed me up. I just built a whole new theater system TV everything I wanted to add a new ps4 but no media streaming I'm out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 511 Old 11-12-2013, 03:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrybnbad View Post

Yep, really messed me up. I just built a whole new theater system TV everything I wanted to add a new ps4 but no media streaming I'm out.

Does it seem odd that Sony would so largely miss the consumers perception of impact from their design change?
post #35 of 511 Old 11-12-2013, 04:02 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I really hope the fan inside the PS4 is not as noisy as the one inside the PS3 - it all but made it impossible (for me at least) to watch movies when that jet engine kicked in.

From what I've read the optical drive in the PS4 is a 6x compared to the 2x inside the current console and the fan is stepless in its operation so we'll have to see in a few days time (at least those of you in the US will) whether things have improved, those of us here in the UK have another two weeks!
post #36 of 511 Old 11-13-2013, 08:19 AM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 48
According to the online user guide, 3D blu ray playback is not supported.

http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps4/videos/videodisc.html
Quote:
Supported disc formats

Blu-ray Disc
BD-ROM*1
BD-R/RE (BDAV, BDMV)
DVD
DVD-ROM
DVD-R/RW*2 (video mode, VR mode*3)
DVD+R/RW*2

Hybrid discs are supported.
AVCHD is supported.
CPRM is supported.

Playback of the following types of discs is not supported.
CD
BD-RE ver.1.0
BD-R/RE XL
Blu-ray 3D™
DVDs that have not been finalized
Do not use the following discs. If you do, the system may be damaged.
8 cm discs
Non-circular discs, such as discs in the shape of a card, star, or heart
Discs that are cracked or deformed, or discs that have been repaired
A DualDisc features one side that conforms to the DVD standard, and another side with audio only. The audio-only side cannot be played on the PS4™ system.
If a device that is not compatible with the HDCP (Highbandwidth Digital Content Protection) standard is connected to the PS4™ system using an HDMI cable, video or audio cannot be output from the system.
For continuous playback of copyright-protected BDs, the encryption key for AACS (Advanced Access Content System) may need to be renewed. To renew the key, you must update the system software.
Some discs may not be playable due to scratches, dust, the quality of recording, or the characteristics of the recording device.
In rare instances, DVDs, BDs and other media may not operate properly when played on the PS4™ system. This is primarily due to variations in the manufacturing process or encoding of the software.

Related topics
post #37 of 511 Old 11-13-2013, 08:27 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 1149 Post(s)
Liked: 1911
There have been conflicting reports going around on this. Here is today's update from Sony.
Quote:
UPDATE: Sony Worldwide Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida has said the PS4 does not support 3D Blu-rays - at launch.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-11-13-playstation-4-doesnt-support-3d-blu-rays

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
post #38 of 511 Old 11-13-2013, 08:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Maybe this has been in the info all along and I just missed it but there is no backwards compatibility with PS3 and PS2 games. The more I read the more I'm disinterested. In fact, when I was originally was content to keeping the PS3 I'm now starting to be curious in the other console not to be mentioned here.
post #39 of 511 Old 11-13-2013, 08:49 AM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet Geek View Post

Maybe this has been in the info all along and I just missed it but there is no backwards compatibility with PS3 and PS2 games. The more I read the more I'm disinterested. In fact, when I was originally was content to keeping the PS3 I'm now starting to be curious in the other console not to be mentioned here.

That's info has been out there for a long time, you missed it.
post #40 of 511 Old 11-15-2013, 12:59 PM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 2730 Post(s)
Liked: 925
http://afterconvert.com/t/1499786/recommended-ps4-settings-for-bd-playback#post_23953013

Samsung 55" MU8000
Yamaha RX-A2070
KEF Q150 Bookshelf x 5
Rythmik L12 Sealed Subwoofer
post #41 of 511 Old 11-15-2013, 01:17 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

If PS4 will not support 3D blue ray, I will cancel my pre-order.  

post #42 of 511 Old 11-15-2013, 02:42 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 3505 Post(s)
Liked: 3175
An article about how the PS4 is an all gaming machine and not much else,

PlayStation daddy: New PS4 is ALL 'PLAY', NO 'Station' (unlike the PS3)
post #43 of 511 Old 11-15-2013, 02:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet Geek View Post

It sucks the other console requires a subscription just to use subscription services (Netflix, Hulu, etc).
vilfrard likes this.
post #44 of 511 Old 11-16-2013, 01:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Received mine today from Amazon (pre-ordered it back in June/July, heh).

Thought I'd try out the Blu-ray Disc playback capabilities since there really aren't too many games at launch that really grabbed me. Upgraded to 1.50 firmware and threw in The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (the 2D disc from the 3D multi-disc set also available at Amazon). It put up a "Blu-ray Disc" tile / menu item on the screen (note: it did not detect the disc title or display any art for the disc). I pushed "X" on the tile and after a short wait, it came to a blue screen that said simply:
Quote:
Cannot play the disc.
(CE-35486-6)

I haven't tried any other titles yet, but I have no reason to believe there's anything special about this specific disc (a disc which the PS3 I have plays just fine).

I am truly disappointed that Sony appears to be ditching regular consumers with the PS4. And while I own the device, I hope they pay for their intransigence in the upcoming console wars. Word is they're reconsidering CD playback and MP3 playback, but that's a far cry from all the features the PS3 offered consumers (video file playback, the ability to story media on the system) or the actual increases in functionality one would expect (instead of the decrease we're getting; you'd have figured MKV support at last, maybe even FLAC support, and certainly HEVC/4K file support in the future, if not at launch).

Instead they seem very interested in pushing their music and video streaming services. Services which I would never use, and have zero interest in.

Update

Popped in Iron Man 3, and it played. I'll try some other Warner titles next to see if there's a pattern.
vilfrard likes this.

Fight mediocrity: Insist on BD50 discs for all movies longer than 100 minutes, optimized video encodes that fully utilize the available space, lossless audio track, and new masters for catalog titles!
post #45 of 511 Old 11-16-2013, 01:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 577 Post(s)
Liked: 586
post #46 of 511 Old 11-17-2013, 08:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1154 Post(s)
Liked: 661
This is a great thread. I posted a PS4 video output thread in the playstation forum.
Does the PS4 currently support deep color and x.v.Color? I have my PS4 RGB and YCbCr set to full.
I watched some of Sonys Mastered in 4K releases on my PS3 and they support x.v.Color. I also own Sonys W9
TV with the Triluminous display.
When I played PS3 games on my TV I would get a 12 bit signal but it doesn't show up with the PS4,
what gives?
I'm not sure how accurate this site is but there are some interesting things.
http://www.edepot.com/playstation4.html
post #47 of 511 Old 11-17-2013, 10:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 92
This thread will take off like a rocket.

Panasonic TC-P50ST60 plasma HD television, Onkyo TX-SR805 and PIONEER ELITE VSX-47TX receivers, Klipsch RB-75(2 pair) and RB-61 bookshelf speakers, Klipsch RSW-10, RSW-12(2), Velodyne HGS-12, HGS-18 subwoofers, OPPO BDP-103, PS3 80G, PIONEER DV-525 dvd player, Klipsch RS-42 surrounds, Klipsch RC-52 center channel
post #48 of 511 Old 11-17-2013, 01:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 577 Post(s)
Liked: 586
What sampling rates does the PS4 support? I'm hearing people are only seeing the 48khz setting. And there's no setting to choose dolby or dts lossless formats from the menu. You have to select bitstream while watching a movie. Can somebody check?

Sony really needs to get on and fix these things.

home theater addict
post #49 of 511 Old 11-18-2013, 09:04 AM

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 3633 Post(s)
Liked: 806
I really cannot believe there is no 3D blu-ray support in the PS4 at launch...

When trying to play a 3D movie I was greeted by a message that my player doesn't support 3D movies. I then did some Googling and was quite surprised to see reports that the PS4 (or the Xbox One for that matter) does not support 3D blu-ray playback at launch. And it remains unclear whether this feature is even planned for a future release.

This is really surprising. I know that 3D has hit some stumbling blocks and hasn't caught on as much as the industry would have liked, but to not put 3D movie playback into the PS4 really took me by surprise. It certainly has the hardware capability to do it, so what would have been the big deal to add the software support for it? Sony seems to be pretty active in 3D and my Sony VW95 projector (and their newer models) support 3D. So why just leave it out? I am hoping that it was simple a matter of limited time and resources they had to get the system ready and that they are planning to release an update for it shortly. But that might not be the case, and I am wondering now if it may ever be added. Looks like I'll be hanging on to my PS3 for quite some time. This is really disappointing.

What do you guys think? Please keep this thread current with any news you may read about that matter and any possible firmware updates that could add it. Thanks!
post #50 of 511 Old 11-18-2013, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrix1973 View Post

According to the online user guide, 3D blu ray playback is not supported.

http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps4/videos/videodisc.html

I hope this is something that changes soon. I've started a dedicated thread specifically about the lack of 3D blu-ray support in the PS4 at launch here: http://afterconvert.com/t/1500263/no-3d-blu-ray-support-on-the-ps4-really
post #51 of 511 Old 11-18-2013, 09:12 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 1149 Post(s)
Liked: 1911
It will be added via a firmware update. Already being discussed in the official thread here.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
post #52 of 511 Old 11-18-2013, 10:22 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post

It will be added via a firmware update. Already being discussed in the official thread here.

S~

Where? I think you forgot the link biggrin.gif
post #53 of 511 Old 11-18-2013, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpzbc View Post

Where? I think you forgot the link biggrin.gif

I've searched here and across the web. The only thing I can find are some references that word is it could come in a firmware update and that the hardware can support it so it can be added by firmware. What I've read I've interpreted as it is not off the table. It would be a lot more encouraging if the message instead was that they do plan to bring it and just didn't have time prior to launch.
vilfrard likes this.
post #54 of 511 Old 11-19-2013, 07:22 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 787 Post(s)
Liked: 605
Everyone lashing out and/or jumping ship about the lack of this or that at launch really needs to take a chill pill IMHO. Do you have any recollection of what the OG PS3 was like when it was released? Do you think Sony has any intention of giving an inch to MSFT and the XBOX if they can help it? I think all conspiracy theories are silly here. Sony simply chose not to put the resources in place to have these various functions available at launch. That's it. Hell they couldn't even confirm which streaming services would be ready for launch until a couple days prior. They've obviously been working OT to get these things "more or less" functional and out the door before the XBO.

If, in a year, this thing cannot play 3D BR, MP3s, dlna, 4K media, have BT remotes, etc etc etc etc then I will concede there's a material issue. Would I like these things now? Yes. Do I think their absence is some nefarious signal from Sony that they won't ultimately add them? Nope.

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
post #55 of 511 Old 11-19-2013, 08:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The PS3 launch wasn't bad like this.

Panasonic TC-P50ST60 plasma HD television, Onkyo TX-SR805 and PIONEER ELITE VSX-47TX receivers, Klipsch RB-75(2 pair) and RB-61 bookshelf speakers, Klipsch RSW-10, RSW-12(2), Velodyne HGS-12, HGS-18 subwoofers, OPPO BDP-103, PS3 80G, PIONEER DV-525 dvd player, Klipsch RS-42 surrounds, Klipsch RC-52 center channel
post #56 of 511 Old 11-19-2013, 08:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 948 Post(s)
Liked: 986
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemiza View Post

The PS3 launch wasn't bad like this.

Actually the PS3 rollout appears to have had as many issues (perhaps excluding the HDMI connector mechanical issue on some PS4s) . See the One and Only PS3 Thread (starting HERE) for a little reminder. The PS3 had a lot of limitations when it was introduced and it took a couple of years worth of firmware updates for Sony to enable many of the functions that many consumers thought should have been included from day 1. Also Sony does not generally acknowledge future features to be added until the new firmware to enable those features is ready to be released. For the PS4, Sony clearly felt that they needed to get it into stores for this year's holiday shopping season and they put their focus on getting the gaming capabilities ready for release while the video and audio playback/streaming capabilities will be addressed later via firmware updates.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #57 of 511 Old 11-19-2013, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post

...For the PS4, Sony clearly felt that they needed to get it into stores for this year's holiday shopping season and they put their focus on getting the gaming capabilities ready for release while the video and audio playback/streaming capabilities will be addressed later via firmware updates.

Let's hope so. I would much rather hear them say that it is planned and will come in a future update, rather than that it is possible it can be added in the future. Those are clearly two different messages.

Silly me - here I was thinking that with the PS4 we wold finally get TrueHD support with 3D movie playback, and it turns out instead we don't even get 3D support. eek.gif
post #58 of 511 Old 11-19-2013, 09:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post

Actually the PS3 rollout appears to have had as many issues (perhaps excluding the HDMI connector mechanical issue on some PS4s) . See the One and Only PS3 Thread (starting HERE) for a little reminder. The PS3 had a lot of limitations when it was introduced and it took a couple of years worth of firmware updates for Sony to enable many of the functions that many consumers thought should have been included from day 1. Also Sony does not generally acknowledge future features to be added until the new firmware to enable those features is ready to be released. For the PS4, Sony clearly felt that they needed to get it into stores for this year's holiday shopping season and they put their focus on getting the gaming capabilities ready for release while the video and audio playback/streaming capabilities will be addressed later via firmware updates.

Still not as bad. I own and still use weekly my original PS3.

post #59 of 511 Old 11-19-2013, 01:23 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 787 Post(s)
Liked: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemiza View Post

Still not as bad. I own and still use weekly my original PS3.

You use it with its original, never ever once updated v1.0 software?

I still use my "original" PS3 too, only with software v4.X at this point. Not remotely apples to apples...

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
post #60 of 511 Old 11-19-2013, 01:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post

You use it with its original, never ever once updated v1.0 software?

I still use my "original" PS3 too, only with software v4.X at this point. Not remotely apples to apples...
No. I always updated nonetheless still going strong since 07. Besides some blurays wouldn't work if I didn't.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Playstation 4 Console , ps4