post #211 of 240 Old 03-04-2018, 08:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape75 View Post
I might've discovered a way to make the player region free (0) for DVD's
and selectable (A,B,C) for Blu Rays using the built in code editor with remote.

Who has the BP735 (should be same as BP740) and wants to test / confirm this?
I have confirmed that I can play NTSC + PAL (region locked and unlocked) DVD's.

I only have region A blue rays ...

Update: this only works on original f/w BD 5.037.40625.C
Hello,

What have you discovered? I have a blu-ray BP735 player.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 240 Old 03-06-2018, 08:40 AM

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthWindFire View Post
AVs Form,
Just completed reading most of the 209 posts ... First Thank You to All the Sharing of Information and many Helpful Tips! We are in the very early stages of trying to "fully understand" the challenges of successfully playing DVDs and Blue Ray DVDs from a different Region, then the USA .... Good Luck!
It's not like, stopping in your local ABC liquor store, to buy a good single malt scotch from Scotland, add ice for a set-up, pour the scotch, and enjoy it!
Based on my limited research and reading the above posts, I would appreciate hearing from you all to "confirm" if my understanding is on Point? First, we can buy a Region Blue Ray ABC and Region Free 0-9 (real is 1-6) DVD player fairly easy, add Blue Ray, add 4K Ultra, and it adds to the cost of the unit, view as going from a 10 to 15 year scotch ... it only get's more expensive, goes from about $ 220, 399, 499, and it keeps going $$$$$.
Critical question, if we are playing some of the older DVD (only) guessing about 480p or maybe 720p, at 169 widescreen, like Born and Bread complete series, Region 2 DVDs .... do we need a Blue Ray or plus 4K Ultra and deal with all this "firmware issues" .... do you still need firmware updates to view basic DVDs, from any Regions? What I am missing?
As soon as you buy, the newer Blue Ray (only), from any Regions, do I still need firmware updates to view the Blue Ray DVDs? How do we keep this process simple, PLUG AND PLAY ... is this possible?
On that note, I am on the right track, as soon as, I buy a 4K Ultra Blue Ray DVD player Region Free or Not ..... Good Luck ... receiving the complete, correct, etc.,etc., firmware updates .... becomes the real challenge for all of to enjoy any of the DVDs we are playing .... Correct?
My ending message, based on my limited research and still learning about the DVDs/Players .... Buyer Beware When Dealing With the Vendors/Sellers on the internet .... ask the question "where is the manufactures' warranty card" for a brand new sealed Region ABC & Region Free DVD Player, when service is needed ... who will be their for you ? Still working out the details and the selection of the DVD players that I can buy to play my DVDs and Blue Ray .... etc,etc, and not always be upgrading or replacing the after a short period of time.
Thanks Again for allowing me to share my concerns and your help and insights would be appreciated. EarthWindFire
I didn't quite follow all you were saying, but to address a few of your points:
To get a region-free DVD player that also does 4K Blu-ray is not necessarily $$$$$, but the latest technology will need a current model and quality may be an issue with lower priced models (the Seiki BDP region-free player is <$100 and does 4K upscaling although I have never used this).

If your needs are simple in terms of playing regular DVDs from multi-regions then you don't need the fancier options and capabilities, and you don't have to upgrade fw if you don't want to (whether it disrupts the region-free hack or not is player-specific), not that a fw update is a difficult process

Region free DVD is fairly easy and common, but Region free Blu-ray is harder to get in a player. Options are to look for Region-free discs (many European versions offer these), Get a decent player that meets all your needs and stick with it as long as you can, or have a quality 4K Ultra capable player if that is what you need, and a cheaper region-free unit for the situations you need to play those discs. I would also be hesitant to buy one of the modded players off ebay.

I chose the last option, and have a Seiki for multi-region DVD and Blu-ray, and a better Yamaha for standard discs. I also rip Region 2 and 4 discs using software and play them off my NAS.
post #213 of 240 Old 03-06-2018, 12:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1650 Post(s)
Liked: 1991
I decided to just buy a player from the region I wanted.....rather than all the mumbo jumbo.........

Link to Stereo Integrity SI HT 18 sub build......http://afterconvert.com/forum/155-di...-pedestal.html
Speakers and subs for sale...http://afterconvert.com/forum/209-au...kers-subs.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #214 of 240 Old 03-13-2018, 10:12 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I would love to buy a blu-ray player that is region free for dvds and blu-rays.I see some such as the sony bdp-s1700 that is going for 149 and handled by amazon which says it is regin free for all dvd's and blu-rays.

Format nuetral and loving it
hddvd=13(latest=flags of our fathers)
blu-ray=78(latest=afro samurai ressurection,weeds season 2,the descent)
post #215 of 240 Old 04-08-2018, 06:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 828 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Any players have a universal dvd fix like Oppo?

Saddest thing about saying goodby to Oppo is the great dvd fix they offered in all their players that with one downloaded file to a cd you could turn your Oppo into a universal DVD player. I bought a ton of dvd concerts from England. Never explored if any other players had the same option. I just figured I would never buy any player but an Oppo !

Matt
post #216 of 240 Old 04-22-2018, 11:07 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by unretarded View Post
I decided to just buy a player from the region I wanted.....rather than all the mumbo jumbo.........
How did this work out for you? Which region did you buy? I'm looking to replace my ailing Seiki SR4KP1.
post #217 of 240 Old 05-13-2018, 06:22 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor_Bartram View Post
How did this work out for you? Which region did you buy? I'm looking to replace my ailing Seiki SR4KP1.
I broke down and bought another Seiki SR4KP1, new from an eBay seller. There was simply no other option, I paid more than the one I bought at Sears four years ago but it was a birthday present to myself, so what the heck. I wish Seiki would make players again or license the design, it's a tremendous player. This new player is a slightly newer design, the power switch is now lighted red when the machine is off.
post #218 of 240 Old 05-13-2018, 06:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked: 1352
Quote:
I broke down and bought another Seiki SR4KP1, new from an eBay seller. There was simply no other option, I paid more than the one I bought at Sears four years ago but it was a birthday present to myself, so what the heck. I wish Seiki would make players again or license the design, it's a tremendous player. This new player is a slightly newer design, the power switch is now lighted red when the machine is off.
I dont use my Seiki daily but for the $60 I paid for it was worth it, and i know it was available for $50 at one point. I dont see how they weren't losing money on them. worth the price I paid, the fact that it is region free makes it a no brainer

If you can't stand behind our troops stand in front of them
post #219 of 240 Old 05-15-2018, 10:43 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Blocky/pixelated subtitles on upscaled DVDs

First, apologies if this conversation has appeared elsewhere. I just purchased a projector (Sony 4K, 365es). I'm new to the home theater world, and am using, for now, an Orei all-region Blu-Ray/DVD player (OREI BDP-M2).

I first projected some Blu-Rays, and they looked incredible, as I expected.

But, when I put in a DVD, the upscaling was terrible, particularly for older DVDs (made before 2005 or so). While I didn't expect great results, the subtitles are especially bad—blocky/pixelated, making it difficult to watch.

I did some searching online, and didn't find many complaints about this. Is this a problem with my Blu-Ray player? Or just subtitles in general? Another option would be to rip the DVD, and add a higher-res SRT track. (Showing the same files from my computer didn't look quite so bad).

I know some higher-end players allow to change the placement of the subtitles. Do they also perform a different kind of processing on them, making them more legible?

For reference, I've attached two screen captures (from video files on my computer), the first with a crisp SRT track, the second with burned-in subtitles. You can see the difference here; my question is whether any Blu-Ray players can upscale the subtitle track, or if there are other work-arounds that people have found.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-05-15 at 12.38.38 PM.png
Views:	65
Size:	3.06 MB
ID:	2402804   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-05-15 at 12.39.21 PM.png
Views:	56
Size:	2.10 MB
ID:	2402806  
post #220 of 240 Old 05-18-2018, 05:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 4136 Post(s)
Liked: 3604
After Oppo, what's the next best current UHD Blu-ray player that can be easily modded for region free?
post #221 of 240 Old 07-08-2018, 02:20 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Noisy region-free player

My Sony BDP-S5200, which is hard-modded to be a multi-region player, makes a loud buzzing noise when playing certain Region B discs. It sounds like it's running at maximum speed and it stays at that speed while the main feature is playing. I know that many Region A players behave that way with certain Region A Blu-Rays when the menu screen is on, but the noise and speed generally go down once the main feature starts. Running a Blu-Ray player at maximum speed for 2 hours seems like a bad idea and the noise is intolerable anyway. Given that I haven't been able to find any settings to reduce the speed of the affected discs, it seems like buying this particular region-free player was largely a waste of money.

I don't know if anyone else has noticed this issue with other region-free players, but I'd hate to buy another model and then find out that some Region B Blu-Rays are deliberately authored in such a way as to prevent normal playback in other regions.
post #222 of 240 Old 09-18-2018, 05:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Question Playing North America DVDs in Europe on North American player?

Hi. I am in Canada now and over the years have purchased somewhere near 300 DVDs for this region (little did I know at the time that this was an issue). I am moving to Europe now. I understand the NTSC/PAL issues but this is what I'm wondering. Samsung, Sony and LG seem to have DVD players that are listed for sale on Amazon that work with all DVD regions, and can also auto adjust the voltage and Hz according to where you are in the world. I cannot get an official answer from any of these companies, of course, so I'm asking for advice from someone who has definitive experience and knowledge of the answer. Can I buy one of these players, take it with me to Europe, purchase the prong adapter (or bring one with me, they're about $2.00) and hook it up to a PAL TV and be able to play these DVDs on these TVs? Here's one of the ones I'm talking about: if you look at item number B00W27YFL4 you will see what I mean (I'm not able to post links here yet). Or, will I never be able to play my large DVD collection in Europe if they're not marked Universal encoding?

Hope this makes sense and someone who has done exactly what I'm asking can tell me if it worked or didn't work and what, if any, is the solution.

Many thanks, in advance.
post #223 of 240 Old 09-18-2018, 05:31 PM

The item # above by the way is on the Canadian amazon website.
post #224 of 240 Old 09-19-2018, 07:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berry Classic View Post
Hi. I am in Canada now and over the years have purchased somewhere near 300 DVDs for this region (little did I know at the time that this was an issue). I am moving to Europe now. I understand the NTSC/PAL issues but this is what I'm wondering. Samsung, Sony and LG seem to have DVD players that are listed for sale on Amazon that work with all DVD regions, and can also auto adjust the voltage and Hz according to where you are in the world. I cannot get an official answer from any of these companies, of course, so I'm asking for advice from someone who has definitive experience and knowledge of the answer. Can I buy one of these players, take it with me to Europe, purchase the prong adapter (or bring one with me, they're about $2.00) and hook it up to a PAL TV and be able to play these DVDs on these TVs? Here's one of the ones I'm talking about: if you look at item number B00W27YFL4 you will see what I mean (I'm not able to post links here yet). Or, will I never be able to play my large DVD collection in Europe if they're not marked Universal encoding?

Hope this makes sense and someone who has done exactly what I'm asking can tell me if it worked or didn't work and what, if any, is the solution.

Many thanks, in advance.
Yes. As long as the player supports multiple voltages. Region-free players should work anywhere in the world.

post #225 of 240 Old 09-19-2018, 07:24 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 5621 Post(s)
Liked: 7931
There are actually FOUR things you need to check:

1) Player supports Region Free playback of SD-DVDs and Blu-ray discs so you can play discs locked to a Region other than the original Region for the player. Note that if you ALREADY have discs that work, they will CONTINUE to work when you move both the discs and player someplace else. Simply moving the player and your disc library won't break things. The problem will be if you buy a new player or buy new discs after the move and NOW there's a Region mismatch.

2) Local voltage standards. Check that your player can handle the power in your new location. You will likely also need a wall plug shape adapter.

3) Local TV standards. TVs in the US and Canada use the NTSC standard for video. TVs in Europe use the PAL standard. Some players will adapt automatically (or by Settings selection) to whichever TV you happen to be using in the new location. Others won't. HOWEVER, most modern TVs will now work with EITHER standard for video input, so if you have a TV like that the player won't need to do the conversion.

4) Internet streaming apps. This would be apps like Netflix that might be built into your player. The apps are often locked to a particular geographic area (due to their content licensing contracts) and may not work at all when you move the player unless you can fool the player into thinking it is still in its original part of the world -- e.g., by doing VPN tricks on your new networking connection.
--Bob
SuperFist and unretarded like this.

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #226 of 240 Old 09-19-2018, 08:01 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2829 Post(s)
Liked: 1252
VPN no longer works for Netflix. They've gotten too good at detecting it.

@Berry Classic
Keep in mind that region free DVD is generally cheaper than both DVD and BD because many players can be made region free for DVD with a simple remote hack, no special firmware or hardware.

I'm pretty sure European Sony players still fall into this category. So in your case, I'd just buy a Sony in Europe and do the remote hack on it using a one-for-all remote. This will save a lot of money versus getting a hardware modded player as well as solving the power supply issue. Post back if you need help finding the appropriate remote. Such remotes are cheap and plentiful in North America and Europe.
http://www.avforums.com/threads/son...-hack.1767256/

If you have time, you may just want to rip your entire collection and put on a NAS or something like that. No reason to have a huge collection of physical discs these days.

Last edited by mdavej; 09-19-2018 at 08:37 AM.
post #227 of 240 Old 09-19-2018, 08:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

After playing with it all for a while I went hard drive/nas option with movie collector to run it all...…...biggest upside to movie collector running it all is all the details about a movie and instant playback of trailers when having guests over when deciding on a movie they have never seen.

Link to Stereo Integrity SI HT 18 sub build......http://afterconvert.com/forum/155-di...-pedestal.html
Speakers and subs for sale...http://afterconvert.com/forum/209-au...kers-subs.html
post #228 of 240 Old 10-15-2018, 09:02 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have an LG BP740 European player. How to I get to the option codes blue screen? pause 1,4,7,2 doesn't work even with the early firmware installed.
post #229 of 240 Old 11-19-2018, 06:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
A lot of people are recommending the OPPO Blu-ray players but, to me, they are expensive. So who is the most popular OPPO modifier and do they sell other modified Blu-ray players: Sony, Panasonic etc? I assume the quality of modification and after sales support will be the same in both cases.
Quote:
@unretarded , despite the advice, you went for the other region player. How did it work out? I am also interested in a region B player rather than modding my Oppo, but am confused by the advice here that seems contrary to expectations. What did you get? Did you need a new power supply?

I was looking at the region B Sony s6700, sony x500, and Panasonic ub391. I don't particularly need another 4k player but was curious if there would be some other benefit over the s6700 for an extra $44.

Anyone have an opinion?
post #230 of 240 Old 11-19-2018, 07:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottAvery View Post
@unretarded , despite the advice, you went for the other region player. How did it work out? I am also interested in a region B player rather than modding my Oppo, but am confused by the advice here that seems contrary to expectations. What did you get? Did you need a new power supply?

I was looking at the region B Sony s6700, sony x500, and Panasonic ub391. I don't particularly need another 4k player but was curious if there would be some other benefit over the s6700 for an extra $44.

Anyone have an opinion?

I also abandoned that plan as there are 3 regions,,,...by the time I do a wall of players, mess with finding a dual voltage, the right video output etc etc etc …...I said no. You know you will get a movie that will a region player you do not have.

I then thought it would be just easier to spend the money on a pro modded one and enjoy......then I realized it will only be a few years, it always is, then the format or HDMI or some other thing will render it obsolete.

I just rip them to hard drive with makemkv and play with VLC, it requires a bluray player for your pc or laptop and of course a pc or a laptop...…..

I use movie collectorz to organize for easy playback.

post #231 of 240 Old 11-19-2018, 10:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I also abandoned that plan as there are 3 regions,,,...by the time I do a wall of players, mess with finding a dual voltage, the right video output etc etc etc …...I said no. You know you will get a movie that will a region player you do not have.

I then thought it would be just easier to spend the money on a pro modded one and enjoy......then I realized it will only be a few years, it always is, then the format or HDMI or some other thing will render it obsolete.

I just rip them to hard drive with makemkv and play with VLC, it requires a bluray player for your pc or laptop and of course a pc or a laptop...…..

I use movie collectorz to organize for easy playback.

I see.

Is PAL vs NTSC an issue for bluray or just for DVD? I am just looking for a blu ray solution, primarily for 3D.
post #232 of 240 Old 11-19-2018, 10:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I see.

Is PAL vs NTSC an issue for bluray or just for DVD? I am just looking for a blu ray solution, primarily for 3D.
The more I dug the more in depth it got and I did not find it interesting enough to spend a few hundred hours getting educated......I came to the conclusion it was worth the extra 75 bucks for a modded player.

So sorry, I never dug that deep to remember or if I did read it, at that point it was just one more reason I did not feel like messin with it anymore....

A bluray player on pc is way easier to deal with and will probably survive the test of time better than a player will as far as being outdated with compatability issues.

But 4K is region free, so if that takes off like bluray, a regionless player will be outdated.....just depends.

I don't remember if I burnt any 3d blurays….not sure on that aspect either.

Wish I was more help.....I think most just give up and go with a premodded player.
ScottAvery likes this.

post #233 of 240 Old 11-20-2018, 08:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I see.

With Blu-Ray high definition material there is no PAL or NTSC. Blu-Ray is Blu-Ray. The only differences are frame rate ones. In Europe and other places that use 50 hz electrical systems, you have Blue-Ray 25 or 50 for some material. As far as I have seen, these rates seem to be confined to TV and concert material that was originally shot at one of these rates or possibly a multiple if interlaced was converted to progressive. Movies seem to be universally in 24 or 23.97 no matter what country or electricity cycle rate. There can be standard definition extras on Blu-Ray discs from outside North America that can be in PAL but sometimes these are NTSC (for reasons I can't explain). You need to be sure that a region-free player and/or your display can properly handle BR 25, 50 or 100 conversion if you are purchasing concert or TV material from another region.

These days movie releases from the major studios seem to be pretty much region-free. So 3D fans who are turning to Europe or elsewhere for things like Disney/Marvel/Star Wars stuff will probably find that the movies they seek in 3D won't require a region-free player. Amazon UK usually lists whether discs are region-locked or region-free. I'm sure many other non-North American sites do too. Releases from smaller companies like Eureka, Arrow, BFI, and the like are still region-locked and so require a region-free player.
unretarded likes this.

post #234 of 240 Old 11-20-2018, 07:08 PM

Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Is the panasonic ub820 region free?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #235 of 240 Old 11-21-2018, 10:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paopawdecarabao View Post
Is the panasonic ub820 region free?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No, not for DVD/Bluray, but UHD discs are always region free.

unrelated, I have seen hardware kits available for Oppo but for Sony I only see pre-modded players. can I find a chip kit for Sony somewhere?
post #236 of 240 Old 12-31-2018, 08:38 AM

Quote:

Anyone have an opinion?
Late reply here but no one else had an answer to this. I went through this research last year and documented the progress on another forum. The upshot is that I bought two LG BP250s from Amazon UK and two plug adapters (not voltage adapters, just passive ones to allow the UK plug to go into a US socket.) I consider it a huge success - these are native Region B players so will not have any issues playing B content, and they work perfectly and even display 50Hz content just fine on my normal NTSC televisions. Both DVDs and 50Hz bluray content plays with zero issues.

It is a bare-bones player but perfectly functional - and the whole thing was cheap; including shipping *and* the plug adapter, I spent $66 for each. I have one on my living room TV and one connected to the projector in my home theater. The biggest negative is that it doesn't do 3D; but there's very, very few B-only 3D titles. Terminator 2 3D is the only one I can think of, but I don't care about 3D conversions done years after the original film. Valerian was a big concern but there's an Asian 3D region A release. I haven't found a cheap flexible-voltage 3D bluray player, they're all needed voltage adapters.

I found this thread since I'm thinking on upgrading my projector to a 4k and am thinking about getting a region B 4k player, since I want a third region B player for somewhere else in the house, and a 4k Region B would free up the BP250 so I could put it elsewhere. (It would also give region B 3D playback, although I don't need that.) However, I'm having a really hard time getting straight information on the web about voltage requirements for some of the players. An LG UBK80 (or 90 if you need Dolby Vision) seems like a contender, reasonably priced and I suspect it's flexible with voltage (the BP250 works with 100-240v) but I can't figure out for sure - no good shots of the rear and the manual says to look at the actual unit. So far the only one I've found solid info on is the Panasonic DP-UB320EBK, which is 220-240v so not good. You can get a voltage adapter but I'd rather get one that doesn't need that.

Overall, though, I'm extremely happy with having dedicated Region B players. Yes, it means one more player sitting on the shelf, but it's cheap, reliable, and since it's not a hack, there's no danger of it stopping working with newer titles or screwing around with codes and restarting the player.
post #237 of 240 Old 12-31-2018, 01:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

If you only use the UHD player for UHD and Zone A content and can keep the current region-free players as well, you don't need to get a UHD player from zone B. UHD discs have finally dispensed with region coding. I do this on my main setup where I have a region-free player (mainly now set to B) and a UHD player. I use the UHD player for all region A Blu-Rays and for UHD discs and the region-free Blu-Ray player for everything else. Having two players is the way to go for me.

post #238 of 240 Old 12-31-2018, 01:22 PM

I don't have *any* 4k player at this point. My thinking was that after getting one for the home theater, I'll either have an extra region A or region B "regular bluray" player... and I'd rather have an extra region B player at this point. I know that UHD discs aren't region-coded, so that part doesn't matter.

Complicating things are that 1) as said, I'm having a hard time finding reliable information on power needs, 2) 4k players seem to a bit more expensive in the UK, and 3) Amazon won't ship any of the 4k players I looked at to the US for whatever reason.

I'm not replacing my projector this minute so I don't have a pressing need for a 4k player, but I am slowly starting to acquire 4k discs. One good sale on the TK800 might get me to pull the trigger on it though. I'd rather get the true 4k Sony but it's still prohibitive expensive... and that's a whole different discussion. I did recently pick up a 4k TV for the bedroom but only because it was the same price! No need for 4k there.

Last edited by Jeff Kyle; 12-31-2018 at 01:24 PM. Reason: clarity
post #239 of 240 Old 12-31-2018, 07:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
No, not for DVD/Bluray, but UHD discs are always region free.

unrelated, I have seen hardware kits available for Oppo but for Sony I only see pre-modded players. can I find a chip kit for Sony somewhere?
I do not know, maybe contact one of the places that offers A/B/C players...

I have come to the conclusion it is pay to play...….something like this, not a endorsement, just a example is pretty universal.

Last edited by teachsac; 12-31-2018 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Retail link
post #240 of 240 Old 01-02-2019, 10:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Kyle View Post
Late reply here but no one else had an answer to this. I went through this research last year and documented the progress on another forum. The upshot is that I bought two LG BP250s from Amazon UK and two plug adapters (not voltage adapters, just passive ones to allow the UK plug to go into a US socket.) I consider it a huge success - these are native Region B players so will not have any issues playing B content, and they work perfectly and even display 50Hz content just fine on my normal NTSC televisions. Both DVDs and 50Hz bluray content plays with zero issues.
Overall, though, I'm extremely happy with having dedicated Region B players. Yes, it means one more player sitting on the shelf, but it's cheap, reliable, and since it's not a hack, there's no danger of it stopping working with newer titles or screwing around with codes and restarting the player.
Quote:
I do not know, maybe contact one of the places that offers A/B/C players...

I have come to the conclusion it is pay to play...….something like this, not a endorsement, just a example is pretty universal.
Thank you both. I ended up getting an external OPPO mod before the holidays when ebay had a 20% coupon, but I have yet to try it. Will update on my results...
Jeff Kyle and unretarded like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
blu ray , dvd , Lg 55lw5600 55 Inch Class 3d Led Tv Full Hd 1080p Resolution Includes 10 Pairs Of Lg 3d Glasses , Lg Bd590 250gb Hd Network Blu Ray Disc Player , Lg Bd630 Network Blu Ray Disc Player , Lg Bd640 Network Wireless Blu Ray Disc Player , multi region , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player , player , region free , Toshiba Bdx1200 Blu Ray Disc Player