77Likes

post #11941 of 11958 Old 08-11-2018, 06:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelpfulDad View Post
Strictly speaking quality, not features, the 205 firmware can be updated to a full MQA decoding DAC, while the BDP-95 cannot. MQA is a huge difference in sound. At the risk of provoking people to vent their spleens about their mistaken beliefs that MQA is a nefarious DRM product, I'll tell you that even with an inexpensive MQA DAC, the difference in sound is significant and I'm definitely going to get a 205 as soon as I can afford it. I love my 95, but now that I've heard MQA, I want the Oppo goodness + the MQA goodness.
You'll be lucky to get a 205 now. They're no longer in production. If you're in the USA you can try registering for one of the final units on the Oppo website. If in UK, I got mine in late June from Kent Hi Fi. But you may be too late and have to try eBay, in which case you'll pay through the nose, I'm afraid!
2channel8 likes this.

Setup: Oppo UDP-205EU. Pioneer SC-LX87. Cambridge Audio Azur 851A integrated amp. PMC PB1i front speakers. PMC DB1MC centre. BK XSL200-DF Mk2 sub. B&W Solid Centrale rears & rear surrounds. Cheapo front heights.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11942 of 11958 Old 08-11-2018, 06:22 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2silber View Post
I’ve kept and enjoyed the BDP-95 since its release, but now I’m thinking of getting the newer 205 model. I know the latter offers 4K and HDR, but on the audio side, what are the most significant improvements, other than the headphone amp? Are the DAC’s that much better, for example?
Also, the 105 and 205 can play native DSD downloads. The 95 cannot.
post #11943 of 11958 Old 11-08-2018, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 14
BDP-95 Arc problem

We have the Oppo BDP-95 bluray player. Recently we upgraded our TV to the sony 940E & connected all the devices via ARC to the receiver (Denon AVR 4300). The disc on the bluray player plays the video OK. But we don't get audio. When the player is connected to our projector via hdmi, it plays both video & audio fine. It is a 1080P projector. Any ideas as to how we can get the audio to play for the TV will be greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11944 of 11958 Old 11-08-2018, 01:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked: 543
If you connected the main hdmi out from the 95 to the 4300, the 4300 should get it's sound from the 95 just fine. Are you connecting the main hdmi out on the 95 to the TV and then using the TV ARC to the 4300? I Not enough information about your set up and connections to tell what might be the problem and I also don't understand your statement we connect all our devices to the 4300 with ARC. Not all device have ARC, just TVs usually.

The way I do it, is I connect the main HDMI out from the 95 to the TV and then connect the secondary hdmi out of the 95 to my receiver. Sometimes I watch a movie without the receiver just using the TV sound or headphones and sometimes I listen to CDs and don't want the TV on. That gives you the most flexibility.

You also might get a quicker response and better response than mine by posting in the 95 owners thread.

Supercharged Song Towers, Oppo BDP-203, Anthem MRX-520, LG B6 OLED
Headphone Rig: Oppo BDP-95, Burson Audio Soloist MKII Headphone amp/ Sennheiser HD800S, Sennheiser HD650
post #11945 of 11958 Old 11-08-2018, 02:54 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 3540 Post(s)
Liked: 2694
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrajku View Post
We have the Oppo BDP-95 bluray player. Recently we upgraded our TV to the sony 940E & connected all the devices via ARC to the receiver (Denon AVR 4300). The disc on the bluray player plays the video OK. But we don't get audio. When the player is connected to our projector via hdmi, it plays both video & audio fine. It is a 1080P projector. Any ideas as to how we can get the audio to play for the TV will be greatly appreciated
The 95 is not HDMI 2.0 or HDCP 2.2 compliant and needs a special firmware from Oppo to play nice. Contact Oppo support for the firmware. This is discussed in the 93 and 95 threads.
post #11946 of 11958 Old 11-08-2018, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford View Post
If you connected the main hdmi out from the 95 to the 4300, the 4300 should get it's sound from the 95 just fine. Are you connecting the main hdmi out on the 95 to the TV and then using the TV ARC to the 4300? I Not enough information about your set up and connections to tell what might be the problem and I also don't understand your statement we connect all our devices to the 4300 with ARC. Not all device have ARC, just TVs usually.

The way I do it, is I connect the main HDMI out from the 95 to the TV and then connect the secondary hdmi out of the 95 to my receiver. Sometimes I watch a movie without the receiver just using the TV sound or headphones and sometimes I listen to CDs and don't want the TV on. That gives you the most flexibility.

You also might get a quicker response and better response than mine by posting in the 95 owners thread.
I will post it to the oppo 95 thread as per your advice. Thanks
post #11947 of 11958 Old 11-08-2018, 07:18 PM

BDP-95 ARC problem

post #11948 of 11958 Old 11-09-2018, 02:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrajku View Post
RDGrimes has answered above. Contact Oppo Support. They will answer within a day.

Headphone Rig: Oppo BDP-95, Burson Audio Soloist MKII Headphone amp/ Sennheiser HD800S, Sennheiser HD650
post #11949 of 11958 Old 11-09-2018, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford View Post
RDGrimes has answered above. Contact Oppo Support. They will answer within a day.
Thank you for your suggestion. I did contact OPPO support. They were very prompt & sent me a link to their firmware as well as instructions. Now my oppo works perfectly on the Sony 4k tv. Both audio & video work great. I’m one happy customer!
post #11950 of 11958 Old 12-05-2018, 09:43 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello, I have a question.
I want to stream music from phone(android) to my oppo 95.

I have installed on my phone Neutron media player. In Neutron's settings go to "output to" and screen is blank. Then installed "BubbleUpnp" then Neutron player see where to stream - in Bubbleupnp. My oppo also see Bubbleupnp and with oppo's remote I can explore content and play music. But from android music player (neutron or bubbleupnp i cant).
In Neutron player there are dsp and equalizer settings and I want to adjust it but while I listening from my 5.1 system I cant hear any differences. Possible to adjust dsp, EQ while music streaming from phone to oppo over dlna?? Thx for answer.
post #11951 of 11958 Old 12-16-2018, 06:17 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi I have a problem with my Oppo 95, I can’t get the disk tray to open. It powers up fine but it doesn’t respond to the disk tray open commands from either the remote or the unit itself.

Any assistance would be much appreciated
post #11952 of 11958 Old 12-16-2018, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMMAN3 View Post
Hi I have a problem with my Oppo 95, I can’t get the disk tray to open. It powers up fine but it doesn’t respond to the disk tray open commands from either the remote or the unit itself.

Contact Oppo support:
http://www.oppodigital.com/ContactUs.aspx
They can walk you through some troubleshooting steps. Flat rate repair is also available for around $100.
SAMMAN3 likes this.
post #11953 of 11958 Old 12-17-2018, 10:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I'd try unplugging it first. Leave it unplugged for a couple of minutes, plug it back in and try again.

post #11954 of 11958 Old 12-18-2018, 05:33 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Try opening the tray as soon as it turns on. Don't wait for it to completely power up.
Also, on power-up do you hear an audible relay "CLICK"?

I had an issue with mine where the unit would allow the disc tray to open and close during power up, but about 4-5 seconds in that relay click would sound and the tray would no longer open and none of the controls would work. If there was a disc in the tray it would also not load.

In my case I had to ship my unit to OPPO twice for repair. The first time they fixed one component, the unit worked for about a month and then had the same issue, and the second time (same symptoms) they ended up replacing the power board.

Knock on wood, no issues since.
post #11955 of 11958 Old 12-24-2018, 12:51 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 22
This is the reset procedure I got from Oppo. It did the trick for me.

Disconnect all cables from the player, including the HDMI, analog, and power cables. If your player was hardware modified to support alternative regions, please try removing this kit and returning the player to stock.

Change the dip switch on the back of the player from 115V to 230V.

Press and hold the POWER button on the front panel of the player for 5 seconds. Release.

Change the dip switch on the back of the player from 230V to 115V.

Reconnect just the power cable, connecting it direct to your walled power outlet, bypassing any switch, power conditioner or transformer.

Press POWER.

Quote:

Chris

post #11956 of 11958 Old 12-24-2018, 05:11 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscpm View Post
This is the reset procedure I got from Oppo. It did the trick for me.

Disconnect all cables from the player, including the HDMI, analog, and power cables. If your player was hardware modified to support alternative regions, please try removing this kit and returning the player to stock.

Change the dip switch on the back of the player from 115V to 230V.

Press and hold the POWER button on the front panel of the player for 5 seconds. Release.

Change the dip switch on the back of the player from 230V to 115V.

Reconnect just the power cable, connecting it direct to your walled power outlet, bypassing any switch, power conditioner or transformer.

Press POWER.
Thanks for the info , I received the same info from Oppo support. Unfortunately no luck, the player is in for repairs.
post #11957 of 11958 Old 01-11-2019, 10:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

HDCD is 20-bit data encoded as 16-bit data (with the side effect of raising the noise floor a tad). When decoded, the OPPO outputs the 20-bit result packed into 24-bit with padding zeroes.
Hi Bob,
How can you tell if the SPDIF output contains 16/20/24 bits? None of the DACs I have (Anthem, Bryston) indicate the bit depth, only the sampling rate.
Regards,
Stefan

"This one goes to eleven." Martin Logan Descent-i subwoofer

Last edited by AVfile; 01-11-2019 at 10:33 AM.
post #11958 of 11958 Old 01-11-2019, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVfile View Post
Hi Bob,
How can you tell if the SPDIF output contains 16/20/24 bits? None of the DACs I have (Anthem, Bryston) indicate the bit depth, only the sampling rate.
Regards,
Stefan
If you're asking about HDCD, the easy way to tell if its being decoded is the obvious difference in level. (6db)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Oppo , Oppo Bdp 95 Blu Ray Disc Player