Advertisement

post #28652 of 28670 Old 01-08-2019, 08:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by eiger View Post
Great feedback guys. Any of these are possible reasons I'm having issues. Yes, going to make sure I'm connected to the correct HDMI out as well!My firmware is likely pretty old.
Well had same issues, even no picture on my brand new 4 K Panasonic tv.....I changed the setting a bit and picture works now. But also no sound. It was as bad, that the player bricked, when connected to the new TV so now I connect it to my receiver (old too), and then have picture on tv, but no sound, that MUST come from amp. I will not install the newer firmware, as I prefer not to loose Iso compatibility for my few 3d 's file, and use the Oppo mostly with my Sony projector....

I like my HT, wine and pretty girls. But...am I the only one
post #28653 of 28670 Old 01-08-2019, 09:27 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 3540 Post(s)
Liked: 2694
Quote:
Originally Posted by indieke2 View Post
Well had same issues, even no picture on my brand new 4 K Panasonic tv.....I changed the setting a bit and picture works now. But also no sound. It was as bad, that the player bricked, when connected to the new TV so now I connect it to my receiver (old too), and then have picture on tv, but no sound, that MUST come from amp. I will not install the newer firmware, as I prefer not to loose Iso compatibility for my few 3d 's file, and use the Oppo mostly with my Sony projector....
You can fix your HDCP errors issue with one of the HDFury devices in the HDMI chain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #28654 of 28670 Old 01-08-2019, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
I have that movie waiting to be played from Netflix. I also have the old ISO FW & had only one unplayable disc in all this time. I will report back when I watch it.
Mission Impossible played fine but the disc was from Netflix.
post #28655 of 28670 Old 01-08-2019, 08:01 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Spent about an hour last night trying to troubleshoot missing audio on my 93 when it was previously working. Luckily I stumbled on the updated firmware which I hadn’t yet loaded, and changing the HDMI input on my Z9D to Enhanced was causing audio to not be passed. Updated the firmware via thumb drive and all was well again.

Wish I had picked up a 203 awhile back as my 93 is one of the best pieces of equipment I’ve ever bought/used.
post #28656 of 28670 Old 01-08-2019, 08:13 PM
Coyote Waits

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1320 Post(s)
Liked: 2352
Quote:
Originally Posted by t4t3r View Post
Wish I had picked up a 203 awhile back as my 93 is one of the best pieces of equipment I’ve ever bought/used.
They both are.

I have the 93 and the week after the announcement I was at home alone late one afternoon when I found my self in the car going the two miles to their office in Menlo Park, CA. I picked up the 203 with no real idea about how I was going to use it in my Kuro 1080P setup. One HDR TV, one HDR AVR, and one Roku Ultra later I've found a lot of ways to use both of them.

My Components:
Denon X3400H, OPPO UDP-203 & BDP-93, Xfinity XG1-P, Vizio PQ, Roku 3 & Ultra 2018
Calibration Resources:
Customer's Reports -- Professional Calibrations
Calibrator's locations and tour areas.
post #28657 of 28670 Old 01-13-2019, 03:04 PM

I just bought a 4k TV. Now when I stream a MKV file from my NAS I get a picture but no sound. I see a flicker when it loads (handshake) then just a beautiful picture. I may have set my avr to upconvert all inputs so that may be the problem. All the files played fine prior to the new TV. Is there anything I can do in the settings to correct this or should I go to the AVR forum page

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk
post #28658 of 28670 Old 01-13-2019, 03:29 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Oppo BDP-93 Set Up Questions/Issues

So I got this last night and first tried to hook up with dual HDMI with one cord going to my View Sonic pro 8200 projector and the other HDMI connected to my Onkyo-HTC260 receiver. This did not work and created all sort of problems both with resolution and audio. I switched back to the normal configuration I had with my Sony blu ray with one HDMI cord and it works fine. Picture looks sharp but I can’t honestly say it’s better than the Sony. Sound is about the same. Some of my questions:

1. To play a CD, HDCD, or SACD do I need to have the projector on? In testing it seems that this was the case.

2. I didn’t notice a big improvement with DVD upscale results. Do I need to turn off the pass through feature on my Onkyo stereo. I was thinking maybe the Onkyo was still doing the upscale and not the Oppo?

3. When I play a HDCD such as the Petty Playback or Fleetwood Mac live in Boston it’s showing on the display output of 16 bit? For some reason I thought this should be higher? Still sounding fantastic, just wondering?

4. Any tweaking suggestions for the best picture on the View Sonic and/or Oppo?
Today
post #28659 of 28670 Old 01-13-2019, 04:55 PM

Quote:
I just bought a 4k TV. Now when I stream a MKV file from my NAS I get a picture but no sound. I see a flicker when it loads (handshake) then just a beautiful picture. I may have set my avr to upconvert all inputs so that may be the problem. All the files played fine prior to the new TV. Is there anything I can do in the settings to correct this or should I go to the AVR forum page

Read back a couple pages in this thread. There's explanations and a link to a firmware that fixes this.
post #28660 of 28670 Old 01-13-2019, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Read back a couple pages in this thread. There's explanations and a link to a firmware that fixes this.
Well, I need a better solution since I am on the old ISO fw

post #28661 of 28670 Old 01-13-2019, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Well, I need a better solution since I am on the old ISO fw
The only solution is to turn off whatever setting in your AVR that allows HDMI-2.0 and HDCP-2.2. Usually that is a global setting in AVRs so not a great option. If the AVR has a dedicated HDMI 1.4 input, try using that.
Alternatively, you can put something between the 93 and AVR that bypasses the HDCP check. The HDFury type devices do this. Putting an Oppo 203 between them - using the HDMI input on that - can also cure this. I haven't tried using a 103 in the same manor so I don't know if it also works.
Geezer likes this.
post #28662 of 28670 Old 01-13-2019, 08:36 PM

So I got this last night and first tried to hook up with dual HDMI with one cord going to my View Sonic pro 8200 projector and the other HDMI connected to my Onkyo-HTC260 receiver. This did not work and created all sort of problems both with resolution and audio. I switched back to the normal configuration I had with my Sony blu ray with one HDMI cord and it works fine. Picture looks sharp but I can’t honestly say it’s better than the Sony. Sound is about the same. Some of my questions:

1. To play a CD, HDCD, or SACD do I need to have the projector on? In testing it seems that this was the case.

2. I didn’t notice a big improvement with DVD upscale results. Do I need to turn off the pass through feature on my Onkyo stereo. I was thinking maybe the Onkyo was still doing the upscale and not the Oppo?

3. When I play a HDCD such as the Petty Playback or Fleetwood Mac live in Boston it’s showing on the display output of 16 bit? For some reason I thought this should be higher? Still sounding fantastic, just wondering?

post #28663 of 28670 Old 01-14-2019, 02:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jam757 View Post

1. You don't have to have the projector on to play music from any of those types of disk, except for navigation of the disk. Just remember that turning the projector either on or off will trigger an HDCP handshake, causing a break in the audio for a second or so.

2&4. Try increasing the sharpness setting in the 93 by one or two ticks to improve DVD upscaling.

3. The Oppo can decode an HDCD for LPCM (or analog output) if your AVR doesn't do that decoding - but you have to enable that decoding in the 93's settings menu, as it's off by default.

While I found my 93 to give a more natural looking picture on Blu-rays than my prior player, the "received wisdom" is that all Blu-ray players give similar image quality from Blu-rays and the real differences are in DVD upscaling, internal audio decoding, DVD-A/SACD/HDCD capability, etc.

post #28664 of 28670 Old 01-14-2019, 06:45 PM

Thanks, unfortunately after further testing the projector definitely needs to be in in my set up. It’s an issue with my Onkyo where every few seconds it will “search” for the projector if it’s off. I also tried changing the through setting on the Onkyo which caused all sorts of display issues so back on it went. The good news is I definitely don’t think there is a problem with the Oppo. It’s just my particular equipment set up and lack if knowledge causing the issue. I did listen to Dark Side If The Moon 5.1 and it blew me away. I also determined that the Oppo wants to be turned on last after the projector and Onkyo are already on. It’s just the way it is...
post #28665 of 28670 Old 01-14-2019, 09:11 PM

Quote:
The only solution is to turn off whatever setting in your AVR that allows HDMI-2.0 and HDCP-2.2. Usually that is a global setting in AVRs so not a great option. If the AVR has a dedicated HDMI 1.4 input, try using that.
Alternatively, you can put something between the 93 and AVR that bypasses the HDCP check. The HDFury type devices do this. Putting an Oppo 203 between them - using the HDMI input on that - can also cure this. I haven't tried using a 103 in the same manor so I don't know if it also works.
I did a little research on the HD Fury solution. So many products. Do you have enough experience to suggest the cheapest one that would do the job? All my AVR HDMI ports are 2.2
post #28666 of 28670 Old 01-15-2019, 01:35 AM
Coyote Waits

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1320 Post(s)
Liked: 2352
Quote:
I have the 93 playing ISO files through the 203 HDMI IN port ant that works fine into a HDR TV. Of course you have to have the 203.

My Components:
Denon X3400H, OPPO UDP-203 & BDP-93, Xfinity XG1-P, Vizio PQ, Roku 3 & Ultra 2018
Calibration Resources:
Customer's Reports -- Professional Calibrations
Calibrator's locations and tour areas.
post #28667 of 28670 Old 01-15-2019, 06:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jam757 View Post
Thanks, unfortunately after further testing the projector definitely needs to be in in my set up. It’s an issue with my Onkyo where every few seconds it will “search” for the projector if it’s off. I also tried changing the through setting on the Onkyo which caused all sorts of display issues so back on it went. The good news is I definitely don’t think there is a problem with the Oppo. It’s just my particular equipment set up and lack if knowledge causing the issue. I did listen to Dark Side If The Moon 5.1 and it blew me away. I also determined that the Oppo wants to be turned on last after the projector and Onkyo are already on. It’s just the way it is...

I guess your Onkyo behaves differently than the Yamaha Aventage receiver I use, which doesn't require me to have my projector on in order to play music from the Oppo..

post #28668 of 28670 Old 01-15-2019, 09:59 AM

Quote:
I did a little research on the HD Fury solution. So many products. Do you have enough experience to suggest the cheapest one that would do the job? All my AVR HDMI ports are 2.2
I think the HDFury site details what the different models do. There are dedicated threads for them here: http://afterconvert.com/forum/37-video-processors/
Geezer likes this.
post #28669 of 28670 Old 01-15-2019, 08:00 PM

I don't have the manual at my ready but is there any advantage to using the second HDMI out hopefully to bypass the handshake problems?

post #28670 of 28670 Old 01-15-2019, 08:36 PM

Quote:
I don't have the manual at my ready but is there any advantage to using the second HDMI out hopefully to bypass the handshake problems?
Not for the HDCP issue, no. I use HDMI-2 exclusively anyway because I don't like the NR on HDMI-1 for DVDs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
BDP-95 , Blu Ray Players , component video ict resolution restrictions , multiregion , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player