78Likes

post #3691 of 3697 Old 01-01-2019, 10:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearUK View Post
I spoke to the local repair company about a new laser for mine and they said buy a media server instead! I can start ripping new discs and any that the 7000ES won’t play and use the player until it gives up completely.
Purchase one and perform the replacement yourself. I provide an in-depth walk-through of how to do so here. It's so easy a caveman could do it. Trust me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3692 of 3697 Old 01-01-2019, 02:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2083 Post(s)
Liked: 2345
Not born yesterday of course... We talked about it extensively with our mover and although I was going to drive them in my car they showed me the special area of the trailer they use for glass/art/irreplaceable items and I was convinced they would be immobilized in this special spring/air containers (it was a quick move situation and having 8 changers loaded I didn't have time to remove all 3K+ discs). Ironically we believe they made the trip as promised but it was the local move-in team which tilted them before I could catch them unloading it from the semi (they apologized and the lead driver even gave us a $500 credit for the mistake. Just a shame they're keeping Gracenote active for now (so I was told by a Sony rep at the show this winter but removed jacket support... Ridiculous!). 😉

I should mention too I only have the 960's... short sided I know but back then the RS232 capable 7000s were more than my wallet could bear (knowing what I know now of course it would have been money well spent), which is what's needed to control these changers from an external app (unless you know something I don't).

Kevin

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

==> Our 4K/3D Immersive Theater

Last edited by krichter1; 01-01-2019 at 02:49 PM.
post #3693 of 3697 Old 01-01-2019, 03:43 PM

Well I hope your other one doesn't need repaired. Good luck with it. The carousel and other internals of the changer just aren't designed to support the weight of 400 discs short of the changer remaining in a stationary position. It wouldn't take much to potentially break something or get the whole works out of alignment. Just having some fun at your expense for the benefit of others that perhaps may be listening in and contemplating a move without first removing their discs. It really takes no time at all to remove the discs dropping them in 100-disc spindles. Once you get the first couple dozen removed you can stick your pinky finger through the hubs of quite a few of them at once removing them in bulk. In any event, let us know how it goes with the second changer. Will be happy to provide any feedback if you end up having to troubleshoot the issue to any degree. And if I didn't already say so, Happy New Year to you and all our other Sony changer brothers and sisters. Looking forward to another year of dropping new discs in my Sony changers. It's a beautiful thing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3694 of 3697 Old 01-01-2019, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krichter1 View Post
I should mention too I only have the 960's... short sided I know but back then the RS232 capable 7000s were more than my wallet could bear (knowing what I know now of course it would have been money well spent), which is what's needed to control these changers from an external app (unless you know something I don't).
I was in the same boat. My first Sony Blu-ray changer was a 960. I would have never been able to afford the 7000's if Sony hadn't discontinued the changers selling their remaining stock of 7000's off at $400 a pop. And yes, direct disc selection is only possible via the RS232 commands. That being said, there's nothing stopping you or anyone else that owns one of more 960's from cataloging the contents of the changers elsewhere as I suggested. It's not as sexy, but once you find a disc you'd like to play you'd just have to select the disc by slot number from the XMB or use the "Disc/AMS" knob and "Play" button on the front panel. Done deal.
post #3695 of 3697 Old 01-02-2019, 12:29 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Profile View Post
Purchase one and perform the replacement yourself. I provide an in-depth walk-through of how to do so here. It's so easy a caveman could do it. Trust me.
I looked at your excellent guide, and I wouldn’t begin to try and replace the laser myself. It looks like the player has to be completely torn apart! Looking at your guide made me think that the labour costs for a repair are actually very reasonable.

A new laser wouldn’t bring back the disc artwork either. 📀 📀 📀 📀

As these players are long discontinued I suppose the option for buying a control4 box from eBay to manage discs and artwork would be an option, but I think it’s simply delaying the inevitable.
post #3696 of 3697 Old 01-02-2019, 05:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2083 Post(s)
Liked: 2345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Profile View Post
I was in the same boat. My first Sony Blu-ray changer was a 960. I would have never been able to afford the 7000's if Sony hadn't discontinued the changers selling their remaining stock of 7000's off at $400 a pop. And yes, direct disc selection is only possible via the RS232 commands. That being said, there's nothing stopping you or anyone else that owns one of more 960's from cataloging the contents of the changers elsewhere as I suggested. It's not as sexy, but once you find a disc you'd like to play you'd just have to select the disc by slot number from the XMB or use the "Disc/AMS" knob and "Play" button on the front panel. Done deal.
Are you saying there's a hex guide out there for the Sony remote IR codes for an app (you mention XMB??), to control the direct disc command sequence?

Kevin

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

==> Our 4K/3D Immersive Theater
post #3697 of 3697 Old 01-02-2019, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krichter1 View Post
Are you saying there's a hex guide out there for the Sony remote IR codes for an app (you mention XMB??), to control the direct disc command sequence?
Hi Krichter1. Sorry, no. When I say XMB I'm referring to Sony's XrossMediaBar, the graphical user interface they developed that's used with their Blu-ray changers, single disc Blu-ray players, PS3, Televisions and so forth.

I was making the point that nothing is stopping someone with a 960 from browsing their collection using something other than Sony's XMB as I am. The fact 960 owners can't send the changer a direct disc selection command to play a given disc is beside the point. That's not a deal breaker. Once deciding on a disc to play using DVD Profiler or My Movies for example, 960 owners would just have to take note of the changer and slot number, then firing up the correct changer browsing for the disc by slot number using the changer's built-in interface, i.e. XMB, no title names or cover art required. You're just browsing by slot number and making your selection. Alternatively, there's always the "DISC/AMS" knob, "+100" and "Play" buttons on the front panel of the changer. It's quick and easy to select a disc that way as well. Those methods aren't as sexy as sending the changer a direct disc selection command, but still get the job done nicely.
krichter1 likes this.

Last edited by Low Profile; 01-02-2019 at 06:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Pioneer , Pioneer Dv F727 , Pioneer Elite , Sony , Sony Dvp Cx777es 400 Disc Dvd Cd Changer