• 1 Post By DaverJ
  • 2 Post By liffie420

post #1 of 14 Old 12-22-2018, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Thinking about starting to game

Hi all! I bought a 65” 900F on Black Friday. Then I got the bug to upgrade my home theater setup so I have 3 Chane A2.4s on the way and have an SVS PB12-NSD. Now I’m sitting with $200 in Best Buy rewards and am thinking about buying a gaming system.

Now I’ve owned a PS2, Wii and PS4 in Hugh school/college. With all of those I ended up playing it a ton for about a month, then lost interest. I’m now a little older and a public accountant so I’m telling myself it would be nice to play on the weekends to unwind during my busy season. What do you think? Should I blow the $200 on a console or does my track record prove I’m not into gaming? If you think I should go for a console, would you go PS4 or Xbox? Lastly, which model in their lineup? I see there’s a $199 Xbox and $299 PS4, but I was told at Best Buy I’d be a fool to get those with my high end tv. Any help would be much appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 12-26-2018, 08:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1720 Post(s)
Liked: 3986
Quote:
Originally Posted by UWbadger91 View Post
Now I’ve owned a PS2, Wii and PS4 in Hugh school/college. With all of those I ended up playing it a ton for about a month, then lost interest. I’m now a little older and a public accountant so I’m telling myself it would be nice to play on the weekends to unwind during my busy season. What do you think? Should I blow the $200 on a console or does my track record prove I’m not into gaming? If you think I should go for a console, would you go PS4 or Xbox? Lastly, which model in their lineup? I see there’s a $199 Xbox and $299 PS4, but I was told at Best Buy I’d be a fool to get those with my high end tv. Any help would be much appreciated!
If you previously owned a PS4 and stopped playing it after a month, then buying a new PS4 again might not be the best option.
unretarded and barrelbelly like this.

Last edited by DaverJ; 12-26-2018 at 09:16 AM.
post #3 of 14 Old 12-26-2018, 09:09 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 23
What type of games interest you? That may help in your decision. Many are supported on multiple platforms but some...very good ones are only on one or the other.
I own both the xbox1x and PS4pro. I end up playing with them both about the same amount of time as there are games I like on one or the other, I also never play online, that may also be a factor for you to consider. If it's a game that is available on both I always get the xbox version as it's a bit faster machine and I run an SSD with it and not on the ps4....yet. You can now with the latest update. I also run PS4 sticks on the xbox controllers as I find them to be a bit more to my liking....more grip. They are a direct swap...easy.
I also have the same TV as you....mine was a replacement from Sony for my beloved X930E that failed on me. I do not like the 900F nearly as much....but whatever.

Good luck in your quest.
DaverJ and UWbadger91 like this.

All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.
T. E. Lawrence
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 12-26-2018, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falonious View Post
What type of games interest you? That may help in your decision. Many are supported on multiple platforms but some...very good ones are only on one or the other.
I own both the xbox1x and PS4pro. I end up playing with them both about the same amount of time as there are games I like on one or the other, I also never play online, that may also be a factor for you to consider. If it's a game that is available on both I always get the xbox version as it's a bit faster machine and I run an SSD with it and not on the ps4....yet. You can now with the latest update. I also run PS4 sticks on the xbox controllers as I find them to be a bit more to my liking....more grip. They are a direct swap...easy.
I also have the same TV as you....mine was a replacement from Sony for my beloved X930E that failed on me. I do not like the 900F nearly as much....but whatever.

Good luck in your quest.

Mostly car racing games. I’m wondering if the standalone BR player makes the most sense. I’m an accountant though so I’m all about value! Haha

post #5 of 14 Old 12-26-2018, 02:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Quote:
Mostly car racing games. I’m wondering if the standalone BR player makes the most sense. I’m an accountant though so I’m all about value! Haha

The first question you need to ask yourself is what console exclusives do you want to play. No point in getting a PS4 if you want to play Halo lol. You said mainly car racing games, that leave the field more or less open, but again its about exclusives, do you want to play Forza, or Gran Turismo? Most of the other car racing games tend to be multiplatform. Either Xbox or PS4 will give you about the same experience. Ignore all the comments about well game X runs at whatever P on Xbox but whatever P on PS4, its picking nits. The one benefit is if you went Xbox One S it has a built in UHD player, the playstation does not. How good it is compared to a standalone player can be debated.
post #6 of 14 Old 12-26-2018, 02:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1650 Post(s)
Liked: 1990
I have always found pc based gaming did it for me, this allows the 'Gaming machine" to be used for many alternative uses...I could never game again and my "Gaming machine" would still be used all the time.

My "gaming machine" is also a bluray player, amongst the many many other useful things it does.....I am on it now typing this......

Link to Stereo Integrity SI HT 18 sub build......http://afterconvert.com/forum/155-di...-pedestal.html
Speakers and subs for sale...http://afterconvert.com/forum/209-au...kers-subs.html
post #7 of 14 Old 12-26-2018, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by liffie420 View Post
The first question you need to ask yourself is what console exclusives do you want to play. No point in getting a PS4 if you want to play Halo lol. You said mainly car racing games, that leave the field more or less open, but again its about exclusives, do you want to play Forza, or Gran Turismo? Most of the other car racing games tend to be multiplatform. Either Xbox or PS4 will give you about the same experience. Ignore all the comments about well game X runs at whatever P on Xbox but whatever P on PS4, its picking nits. The one benefit is if you went Xbox One S it has a built in UHD player, the playstation does not. How good it is compared to a standalone player can be debated.

Thanks! So if my primary objective is to get the best UHD/4K picture quality for Blue Ray would I be best off just buying a BR player such as the x700? Or do you think since I have a slight itch to game occasionally that I should go Xbox One S?

post #8 of 14 Old 12-26-2018, 03:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks! So if my primary objective is to get the best UHD/4K picture quality for Blue Ray would I be best off just buying a BR player such as the x700? Or do you think since I have a slight itch to game occasionally that I should go Xbox One S?

If absolute best UHD experience is your first and most important goal get a standalone player. There is nothing wrong with using say the XBox One S as a UHD player. There may be some gripes, I don't know I have a PS4 and standalone player. PQ among players should be essentially identical, its a digital format, either it works or it doesn't, again many may argue differently. If you want to game sometimes go the Xbox One S route, IF your going to watch UHD movies on disk. If just standard Blu Rays get which ever system has the games you most want to play, and again it comes down to exclusives. The only other thing would be control, I think the Xbox has an ir eye, I don't know if the PS4 does.
unretarded and DaverJ like this.
post #9 of 14 Old 12-27-2018, 06:07 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by unretarded View Post
I have always found pc based gaming did it for me, this allows the 'Gaming machine" to be used for many alternative uses...I could never game again and my "Gaming machine" would still be used all the time.

My "gaming machine" is also a bluray player, amongst the many many other useful things it does.....I am on it now typing this......

The only issue with the PC route is the constant $ outlay to stay current. They are never ending money pits. I came from that world....it IS better but also much more costly....constantly. Just look at what a top video card costs now....you could have both the 1x and a pro....and a few game to-boot.
I have what was thousands of dollars of pc equipment around here that's worth nothing....zero now. Outdated but of course still working perfectly. Never again. You can't even give the stuff away. Such a waste.

For years I did that.....well to be fair consoles were a joke then so there is that. But that no is longer the case. It did take me a while to get used to a dang controller...I was a mouse & keyboard guy. Now its fine but it stunk for some time there.
unretarded likes this.

All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.
T. E. Lawrence
post #10 of 14 Old 12-27-2018, 10:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

My main issue with PC gaming is adjusting the video options to get the best looking graphics and framerate with minimal slowdown. I find I'm adjusting sliders and resolutions for the first couple hours of a game, rather than simply playing and enjoying it. Others like these options, but I find them distracting.

Admittedly, this is less about PC gaming and more about my graphics/framerate OCD. Still, I prefer the limitations of games optimized for consoles, even if they don't look as good as the PC counterparts.
unretarded and talldrink67 like this.
post #11 of 14 Old 12-27-2018, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post
My main issue with PC gaming is adjusting the video options to get the best looking graphics and framerate with minimal slowdown. I find I'm adjusting sliders and resolutions for the first couple hours of a game, rather than simply playing and enjoying it. Others like these options, but I find them distracting.

Admittedly, this is less about PC gaming and more about my graphics/framerate OCD. Still, I prefer the limitations of games optimized for consoles, even if they don't look as good as the PC counterparts.
There is software out there that can adjust the settings, or at least recommend settings, based on your hardware without you needing to tweak it manually. If you have an Nvidia card, Nvidia Geforce Experience should be able to do just that, I believe.
post #12 of 14 Old 12-27-2018, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

I bought an Xbox One S because it felt like the most value out of $200 lol. Am I making a mistake considering I have a 900F? $200 more didn’t seem to make sense.

post #13 of 14 Old 12-27-2018, 09:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PewPewK View Post
There is software out there that can adjust the settings, or at least recommend settings, based on your hardware without you needing to tweak it manually. If you have an Nvidia card, Nvidia Geforce Experience should be able to do just that, I believe.
Yeah, Nvidia card (GTX1070). I tried the Geforce Experience, and it works fine, but I still had framerate drops in certain games, and I felt I could adjust things better than the presets did. So I was back to tweaking instead of playing.

Which, don't get me wrong, getting the best performance from a PC can be fun itself. But often to detriment of simply enjoying the game.

Quote:
I bought an Xbox One S because it felt like the most value out of $200 lol. Am I making a mistake considering I have a 900F? $200 more didn’t seem to make sense.
If jaggies/shimmering in games don't bother you, then playing games on the Xbox One S is fine. If you don't notice the jaggies, don't look for them.
talldrink67 likes this.
post #14 of 14 Old 12-28-2018, 07:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Your fine. Look the thing many people don't want to admit, is that unless your actively looking for something wrong, like maybe jagged edges or you spend time pouring over screen shots, most people won't even know the difference. Games, ESPECIALLY car racing games are in constant motion, you will be to busy driving to try and find small picture issues. Plus generally speaking car games are easy to make look good.
DaverJ and unretarded like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Gaming Help