Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 06-07-2005, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just found out today that the Tweeter store in River Forest, IL is liquidating and many items are going for cost. In some cases items are lower than cost.

You MUST show up at the store to purchase items as they will not hold items or take credit cards over the phone.

I made at least four trips to their last liquidation in the area (Mount Prospect store) and made a killing. REL Strata III for $600 among others. They even sold a Martin Logan speaker set for $2k!!!

If you can make it out there you should. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-07-2005, 09:35 PM
Scott Horton, techht.com

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 165
There's one closing in Nashville, TN (Goodlettsville) too. But their prices are still high, very high for someone going out of business. On their 5th week I believe. They do have a Yamaha 1100 PJ if you don't mind that's it's been on for months that they finalyy maked to 30% off (still not that great considering we have a 10% sales tax)..
post #3 of 7 Old 06-09-2005, 06:53 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
just remember a "going out of business sale" that takes 2-3 months is usually a national store clearance sale 1st & then a close the store sale. When I asked where the sales guy was at one of the"closing" Tweeter PA stores , they said he was unloading the truck? Store closing & they are getting more deliveries??? I asked & they answered honestly- all other slow moving items from area stores, other stores older "display" units, & items not moving in warehouse gets sent to the "closing" stores 1st at the 10-20 % of list...even though the day before it may have been marked lower ( not original list)... be a smart shopper!!! Eventually there are bargains-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 06-10-2005, 09:27 AM

They have this going on also here in Chula Vista, CA. I stopped by but haven't seen anything worth grabbing yet. I'm in the market for a new TV. Our media niche has about 12" clearance width-wise and my 36" Sony just looks way too small.
post #5 of 7 Old 06-12-2005, 08:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 86
A few weeks ago I found a Panasonic DMR-E85 DVR for $225 in an unopened box at a SoundAdvice, which is Tweeter owned and Florida based. They are/have gone out of business, so my guess is that they are having a rough time of it economically as a company nationwide.

Emotiva XMC-1/XPR-2/XPR-5/DC-1
Samsung UN65KS9800, Oppo UDP-203
Furman PL-PRO DMC 20A, Monster Power HTS-5000
SVS Dual PB12-Plus Subwoofers
Klipsch Legend KLF-20 & KLF-C7(Crites Tweeter/Midrange Diaphragms & Crossovers)
Klipsch Reference RB-5II x 4(Side/Rear Surrounds)
post #6 of 7 Old 06-17-2005, 03:25 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
It makes sense for them to move dead or slow inventory to a closing store for liquidations.
That way it doesn't muddy the water at the other showrooms where they are trying to sell at their full margin.

This is very common, and it brings more bargains for lurkers and frequent visitors at the closing showrooms.

Many times in these corporate type stores, they will move the management and key staff to another locations and bring in liquidators. This alows them to keep the talent and thin out the mediocre staff at the area stores.

If liquidators are involved. they will generally mark down a certain percentage on a weekly basis until it's gone. But when quantities get tight, your product might not be there for the next markdown.

I bought a $800 bed for $150 at a department store called Younkers that merged/sold out to Carson Pirie Scotts about 10 years ago. My good friend worked there at the time and held it for me until the nest discount markdown from $300 to 150. He was being laid off in a couple weeks from then, so why not help out his friends?? Both of us still have half of our furniture in our homes plus tons of sheets, towels, luggage, etc. that came from that liquidation!!

Certified: Vantage InFusion, AMX A.C.E.
Lutron HomeWorks, Lutron RadioRa2 (Level 2)
post #7 of 7 Old 06-17-2005, 10:59 PM

Location: caught beneath a landslide in a champagne supernova in the sky
can you gimme the address of the place. going to chicago monday and tuesday, might stop by and see what they have for sale.

nvm i found it
7201 W. Lake St.

i love buy two things in this world:
oasis
keira knightley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread Great Found Deals