15Likes

post #1 of 48 Old 12-17-2018, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter
The Village Idiot

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 695 Post(s)
Liked: 633
Adorama: Polk LSiM705 Tower - Pair

IMO a real killer deal for $1k. I've had a pair of these since August, I'd buy them again. They were good enough to move a pair of Salk Song Towers to the back room! These do bass in spades. Most won't need a sub.

http://www.adorama.com/pklsm705mv22...90%40yahoo.com

Yamaha A-S1000 Int. Amp - Polk Audio LSiM-705s - Oppo 103 - Marantz TT42 - Emo DC-1 DAC
Multi-Channel: Yamaha RX-A2070
Twas a woman who drove me to drink. I never had the decency to write and thank her ~ WC Fields
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 Old 12-18-2018, 10:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 View Post
IMO a real killer deal for $1k. I've had a pair of these since August, I'd buy them again. They were good enough to move a pair of Salk Song Towers to the back room! These do bass in spades. Most won't need a sub.

I have Polk Monitor 70's and 60's. How much better are the towers LSiM-705s? Now I am getting tempted to grab them at this price...why so cheap?

Last edited by natchie; 12-18-2018 at 10:29 AM.
post #3 of 48 Old 12-18-2018, 10:41 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Pulled the trigger!

Knowing that the sale price is phenomenal, I decided to go ahead with this one...now can't wait to hear them! Thanks for the posting of their sale!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 48 Old 12-18-2018, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter
The Village Idiot

Polk probably has a new model lineup coming to market soon, who knows for sure, other than Polk? I've never been a fan of Polk speakers but these were too good to pass up. I bought them in a package deal with a Yamaha RX-A2070. I thought I'd be selling these Polks, turns out I'm selling a pair of Salk Song Towers instead. Very good speaker at this sale price IMO. Adorama has had the 706c center speaker for sale every so often for $499. Thats the big center, the smaller 704c sells for even less at times.
natchie likes this.

Yamaha A-S1000 Int. Amp - Polk Audio LSiM-705s - Oppo 103 - Marantz TT42 - Emo DC-1 DAC
Twas a woman who drove me to drink. I never had the decency to write and thank her ~ WC Fields
post #5 of 48 Old 12-18-2018, 12:20 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by natchie View Post
I have Polk Monitor 70's and 60's. How much better are the towers LSiM-705s? Now I am getting tempted to grab them at this price...why so cheap?
The LSiM series is Polk's attempt at a better more accurate speaker. They put a lot of engineering into the development of the line over the years. Adorama can sell these at low prices because they sell a ton of them!

See the LSiM Technical Brief Its a great read about the line: http://www.sohmerassoc.com/cedia_201...ical_brief.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polk Audio
Overview—The LSi Legacy
The holy grail for any serious listener is a loudspeaker that brings audio performances to warm, dynamic life. Polk Audio’s LSi Series, introduced in 2001, was created to please just this kind of listener. LSi Series loudspeakers delivered flatter, more accurate frequency response, with lower distortion and more realistic details, than any speaker in their price range. Superior components, including tweeters normally found on much more expensive speakers, housed in beautifully sculpted cabinets, brought accolades from the professional audio press for superior imaging and tonal accuracy. LSi Series has remained the Polk Audio flagship product for a decade. Now, it’s time to revisit the design and engineering of this incredible loudspeaker; to use newly developed technologies to increase the value equation of the series. This is not an evolution. It’s a revolution. The new LSiM is an emphatic restatement of the qualities that made the original series so great.

Performance Objectives Of The LSiM Series:
The performance objectives for the new LSiM Series predate the original LSi design and are, in fact, design principles Polk Audio first set down during development of its original Monitor loudspeakers. These ideals have been guiding principles for Polk Audio’s best high performance loudspeakers:

Sound that virtually transports the listener to the scene of the recorded performance.
1. Pleasing tonality, even during extended listening at performance levels.
2. Crisp, lifelike impulses, transients and coherent detail without any unnatural ringing or decay.
3. Natural reproduction of complex low frequency instruments and special effects.
4. Uniform sonic representation within the listening area and immersive spatial impression.
5. Reproduce concert/theater levels while maintaining linearity and accuracy.
6. Compatibility with a wide array of electronics both past, present and future.
7. Work as promised for many years of enjoyment.

Here are the results of the engineering:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound & Vision
The measurements of the LSiM 707 tower and the LSiM 706c center are fantastic. Although on-axis measurements are not shown in the accompanying chart, they’re as close to perfect between 500 Hz and 20 kHz as I can remember seeing: ±1.37 dB for the tower and ±1.49 dB for the center.

The tower speaker’s off-axis response is similarly great. Out at ±30°, there are no off-axis response artifacts except a mild rolloff above 8 kHz, which pretty much every speaker with a 1-inch tweeter has. Even at ±60°, the only response error besides the increased treble rolloff is a dip of about 2 dB between 800 Hz and 2.5 kHz. As you can see from the measurement chart, the tower’s bass is boosted by about 5 dB between 40 and 90 Hz, although the effects of this boost will be altered tremendously by the distance from the speaker to the nearby walls, and by room acoustics.

The center speaker frequency response measures almost just like the tower speaker’s, which is pretty remarkable — something made possible by its three-way, tweeter-over-midrange design. It shows the same off-axis treble rolloff, but instead of the dip between 800 and 2.5 kHz ±60°, the center shows a deeper, narrower dip: 5 dB between 500 and 650 Hz.

Read more at http://www.soundandvision.com/conte...zi1bvjBMszs.99

For $1K the LSiM705 is a great sounding and great looking speaker; even though Adorama has had even better blow out price deals like the 705 set, 703 set and a 706C center all for $1500!

Give these puppies some nice power / amp and source then sit back and smile!

natchie likes this.

HDTV - Sharp AQUOS LC-70LE600U 70" | AVR- Onkyo TX-NR5008 | Media Player - Fire TV Box 2nd Gen | Blu-Ray/Media/Gaming - PS3-320GB / Xbox One
Speakers - Main - Boston Acoustics VR965 | Center - Boston Acoustics VR920 | Rear - Artison Portrait LRS
| Sub - DIY Stereo Integrity HT 15 | Sub Amp - O Audio BASH 500

Last edited by WLDock; 12-18-2018 at 12:40 PM.
post #6 of 48 Old 12-18-2018, 08:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 201
I have a pair of the big brother 707 s in my 2 channel system. I also got them with the fantastic combo deal. These speakers are stunning to listen to and look at. For 1k there is no better sounding or looking speaker. Many here will disagree but i have owned dozens of speakers over 30 years and these with some good power are really great.
bdcody01 and Knucklehead90 like this.

Dolby Atmos 7.2.4 Marantz AV8802a Gemstone 200x7 Emotiva upa-500 amps
Oppo 103 Sony UBP-X800 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Jvc RS520 projector
Carada 110"BW screen Golden Ear Triton 5 L&R
super center XXL triton 7's sides Martin logan motion 12 rears
4 RSL C34 in ceiling SVS PB2-plus sub Outlaw LFM-1-plus sub
post #7 of 48 Old 12-18-2018, 10:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Wow! Thanks a lot for the heads up! I just bought the 705 tower set with center/rears, can't wait to check them out!
Knucklehead90 likes this.
post #8 of 48 Old 12-19-2018, 12:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubrick19 View Post
Wow! Thanks a lot for the heads up! I just bought the 705 tower set with center/rears, can't wait to check them out!
Great purchase. This imo is hands down one of the greatest deals in home theater. I bought the 707 combo with a yamaha 3070 receiver. I sold the center and rears and ended up getting the 707 towers basically for free.

post #9 of 48 Old 12-19-2018, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan webster View Post
Great purchase. This imo is hands down one of the greatest deals in home theater. I bought the 707 combo with a yamaha 3070 receiver. I sold the center and rears and ended up getting the 707 towers basically for free.
I'm super excited, the best speakers I've heard up until this point are my Jamo C91 bookshelf speakers so without a doubt this is going to be the best listening experience I've ever had. I'm a little concerned about my receiver tho because it's only 60watt at 8ohm per channel (Onyx HT-RC430) and I seems like the 705's are pretty power hungry. I'm open to get a new receiver if it's an absolutely must, but I'm really crossing my fingers that I can get adequate volume levels with just the 60wpc. In the end I don't need deafening sound levels, just enough to enjoy movies and music!

Any thoughts from your experience with the 707s (more power hungry even) on how my receiver might hold up?
post #10 of 48 Old 12-19-2018, 04:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm super excited, the best speakers I've heard up until this point are my Jamo C91 bookshelf speakers so without a doubt this is going to be the best listening experience I've ever had. I'm a little concerned about my receiver tho because it's only 60watt at 8ohm per channel (Onyx HT-RC430) and I seems like the 705's are pretty power hungry. I'm open to get a new receiver if it's an absolutely must, but I'm really crossing my fingers that I can get adequate volume levels with just the 60wpc. In the end I don't need deafening sound levels, just enough to enjoy movies and music!

Any thoughts from your experience with the 707s (more power hungry even) on how my receiver might hold up?

I hate to tell ou but your onkyo will not do your new speaker system justice. it is a very entry level low power receiver. It will certainly work but you will not get anywhere near your speakers full potential. It will get plenty loud it may sound good to you but you can do alot better sound wise. I would be happy to give you some suggestions
bdcody01 likes this.

post #11 of 48 Old 12-20-2018, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter
The Village Idiot

Quote:

When I first connected the 705's up I used the Yamaha 2070, took a good listen to see how they'd sound. Pretty good even cranked up, so I doubt you need to go whole hog and get an AVR with preamp outs and a big honking amp. These 705's don't seem to need extra power over what a 100wpc AVR could give them. When I connected the Yamaha A-S1000 up to them they came alive with more bass, and I don't use a sub. The A-S1000 has much more current avaiable for these speakers than the 2070 has, but I think you would get by just fine with a better AVR. Read the specs, these are 8 ohm and 88db efficient speakers, not exactly 'power hungry'. I can crank the A-S1000 up and these will play loud and clear, lots of bass, and the ring radiator tweeter is very good. Mids are there too. These are quite the deal! FWIW that combo deal I got last July was pretty danged good @ $1699 shipped for the 705's and the 2070. I was prepared to buy a 2070 for around $1k, Adorama billed me for $424.76 for the Polks, and $1,274.24 for the speaker. I guess I overpaid for the speakers. Hell of a deal IMO!

Anyone looking for speakers in the $1k range could do much worse for twice the price IMO.

Don't forget the 706c center in cherry, great price too!

Last edited by Knucklehead90; 12-20-2018 at 09:24 PM.
post #12 of 48 Old 12-21-2018, 12:28 PM

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 9
This Great Found Deals thread will be the end of me! I purchased the JBL 308 MK2's from BHphoto for some much needed desktop near-field monitors. I upgraded my LRC to KEF LS50's. And now I pulled the trigger on these Polk's as a Christmas gift for my sister. We tend to spend the holidays at her place and we do a lot of music listening throughout the night, plus movies after dinner, and these are much needed as well. I just have a question: I've never had full towers before, and these have dual LR connections. I went though the manual but it doesnt state whether I have to remove the jumper if I'm just hooking them up via a single speaker cable to a receiver. Thank you, kindly, for posting this deal, BTW. Or darn you!...
post #13 of 48 Old 12-21-2018, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 114
I find the adorama website confusing. When I search for a model, the killer sale prices don't show up. Are there different links that go directly to the sales prices?

I have been considering the 705 floorstanders and 704C center off-and-on for several months. This might be the time to do it if they are $1000/pr and $250 respectively.

I would love the bigger center, but it is just too wide for my location.

My hope is that the 705's would be an upgrade to my LS90's, the flagship floorstander in the original LS series from 1993, LOL.

5.1 and 2.0 ch: Outlaw 975/Emotiva DC-1/Rotel RB-1582 MKII/Rotel RB-1552/Audiosource Amp 3/Polk LS90, CS400i, FX500i/Outlaw X-12, LFM-1/JVD DLA-HD250/Da-Lite 100" HCCV/Sony ES BDP/Sonos Connect. DC-1/RB-1582 MKII/Sonos Connect also feed Polk 7C in garage and Dayton IO655 on patio. 2.1 ch: Denon AVR-2807/Klipsch Forte I or NHT SB2/JBL SUB 550P x 2. 2.0 ch: Rotel RX-1052/Emotiva DC-1/Klipsch RF-7 III/Sony ES BDP/LG 65" LED. 2.0 ch: Klipsch Powergate/NHT SB3. Kitchen: Sonos Play5.
post #14 of 48 Old 12-21-2018, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter
The Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geralt of Rivia View Post
This Great Found Deals thread will be the end of me! I purchased the JBL 308 MK2's from BHphoto for some much needed desktop near-field monitors. I upgraded my LRC to KEF LS50's. And now I pulled the trigger on these Polk's as a Christmas gift for my sister. We tend to spend the holidays at her place and we do a lot of music listening throughout the night, plus movies after dinner, and these are much needed as well. I just have a question: I've never had full towers before, and these have dual LR connections. I went though the manual but it doesnt state whether I have to remove the jumper if I'm just hooking them up via a single speaker cable to a receiver. Thank you, kindly, for posting this deal, BTW. Or darn you!...

Darn me? Well, its a killer deal IMO. I'm hearing things in music that the Salk Song Towers never conveyed. I love em!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam2434 View Post
I find the adorama website confusing. When I search for a model, the killer sale prices don't show up. Are there different links that go directly to the sales prices?

I have been considering the 705 floorstanders and 704C center off-and-on for several months. This might be the time to do it if they are $1000/pr and $250 respectively.

I would love the bigger center, but it is just too wide for my location.

My hope is that the 705's would be an upgrade to my LS90's, the flagship floorstander in the original LS series from 1993, LOL.
Use the link I posted above, I just clicked on it and its still the same great $1k price.

I wonder how much longer Adorama will have these up, I'm a bit surprised that they keep this deal up. And FWIW buy with confidence, I've been buying cameras and lenses for 30 years. Great people deal with. B&H PhotoVideo is also a safe seller. I've bought from both places many times. Can't recall how much of my money they have between the two, probably approaching $15-20k, and counting!

post #15 of 48 Old 12-21-2018, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 View Post
Darn me? Well, its a killer deal IMO. I'm hearing things in music that the Salk Song Towers never conveyed. I love em!

Use the link I posted above, I just clicked on it and its still the same great $1k price.

I wonder how much longer Adorama will have these up, I'm a bit surprised that they keep this deal up. And FWIW buy with confidence, I've been buying cameras and lenses for 30 years. Great people deal with. B&H PhotoVideo is also a safe seller. I've bought from both places many times. Can't recall how much of my money they have between the two, probably approaching $15-20k, and counting!

Hehe...thanks once again
post #16 of 48 Old 12-21-2018, 06:53 PM

For kicks, I added a pair of 705's in cherry for $999 and the 704C in midnight for $249 (from a different link) to my cart. I would want them both in midnight, so will have call to their customer service when they are open on Sunday to determine if those deals are available on the midnight finish.

I still enjoy the sound of the LS90 and CS400i center (which is a mismatch from a "newer" series from around 2001), but I can't help but think that the LSiM series is an advancement in sound quality.

5.1 and 2.0 ch: Outlaw 975/Emotiva DC-1/Rotel RB-1582 MKII/Rotel RB-1552/Audiosource Amp 3/Polk LS90, CS400i, FX500i/Outlaw X-12, LFM-1/JVD DLA-HD250/Da-Lite 100" HCCV/Sony ES BDP/Sonos Connect. DC-1/RB-1582 MKII/Sonos Connect also feed Polk 7C in garage and Dayton IO655 on patio. 2.1 ch: Denon AVR-2807/Klipsch Forte I or NHT SB2/JBL SUB 550P x 2. 2.0 ch: Rotel RX-1052/Emotiva DC-1/Klipsch RF-7 III/Sony ES BDP/LG 65" LED. 2.0 ch: Klipsch Powergate/NHT SB3. Kitchen: Sonos Play5.
post #17 of 48 Old 12-21-2018, 08:05 PM

Quote:
For kicks, I added a pair of 705's in cherry for $999 and the 704C in midnight for $249 (from a different link) to my cart. I would want them both in midnight, so will have call to their customer service when they are open on Sunday to determine if those deals are available on the midnight finish.

I still enjoy the sound of the LS90 and CS400i center (which is a mismatch from a "newer" series from around 2001), but I can't help but think that the LSiM series is an advancement in sound quality.

I asked them this morning through the chat, and they said the deal is only for the cherry ones. Sorry, man. You could take an airbrush and paint em black. Just gotta mask the important bits.
post #18 of 48 Old 12-21-2018, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter
The Village Idiot

Quote:

I bought the Song Towers used, along with a custom one-off Selah Audio center speaker. It came in cherry veneer and is very nice looking, and it matches almost perfectly with the 705's finish. Other than squared off edges it looks like it belongs with the 705's. When I opened the 705s up I was very surprised at the high level of fit and finish. I don't know how they'll do long term as far as holding their beauty but I think I'll find out, many years from now. I was trying to sell the Selah speaker but nobody was interested at $500 shipped, I'll keep it. My main usage is 2 channel anyway. You'd think someone would love to have a 3 way center that sold for $1299 new, but no. The timbre matches with the 705's very well so it isn't going anywhere. I've had quite a few center speakers in my setup, but this is as good as it gets for me for sound quality. Crystal clear sound. Rick Craig does an amazing job with speakers. It's about the same size as the 706c, and it sits perfectly just under my 55" display. There's about a quarter inch clearance for turning the display at an angle.

At any rate I'm very happy with these speakers. Awesome! Just awesome. There isn't any speaker currently on the market in the $2k range that can compete with these that I'm aware of.

Just buy em. You can thank me later!
raceredmustang likes this.

post #19 of 48 Old 12-21-2018, 09:20 PM

I think I could do the cherry finish for the towers and center, but would rather have the midnight finish. They would be in a media room with a projector, so the darker finish would be better, although I bet the cherry finish is beautiful. I'll call Adorama and see what they have to say on an all midnight deal.

-

post #20 of 48 Old 12-21-2018, 11:43 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
I think I could do the cherry finish for the towers and center, but would rather have the midnight finish. They would be in a media room with a projector, so the darker finish would be better, although I bet the cherry finish is beautiful. I'll call Adorama and see what they have to say on an all midnight deal.

-
Go to the page for the Midnight Finish and add ?emailprice=t to the end of the URL. They don't have the pair available so it's a little more expensive in total but still a killer deal.
post #21 of 48 Old 12-22-2018, 12:04 AM

Yeah I'd love some suggestions! What do you think? In the $200-350 price range is where I'm at.
post #22 of 48 Old 12-22-2018, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughes1622 View Post
Go to the page for the Midnight Finish and add ?emailprice=t to the end of the URL. They don't have the pair available so it's a little more expensive in total but still a killer deal.
Interesting, I followed your instructions and the price is $600 each, so $200 more a pair vs. the cherry finish. Still a great deal, but not not as good as the cherry.

Adorama's pricing still seems strange and convoluted to me...different prices based on finish, sale prices that only show up with ?emailprice=t added to the URL, etc.

-

post #23 of 48 Old 12-23-2018, 02:09 PM

Quote:
I hate to tell ou but your onkyo will not do your new speaker system justice. it is a very entry level low power receiver. It will certainly work but you will not get anywhere near your speakers full potential. It will get plenty loud it may sound good to you but you can do alot better sound wise. I would be happy to give you some suggestions
Luckily I found we do have an Onkyo TX-SR806! I knew a few years ago I came across what seemed like a very expensive receiver in the house but when I checked out the living room receiver last week it was this lower end Onkyo HT-RC430, so I figured I just remembered wrong. But no in fact we do have this much better one available. I know it's not audiophile level but I think it's rated at 140wpc at 8ohms and will do all the 5.1 Dolby stuff I'd need (plus room to expand to 7.1). So without having to purchase anything do you think this receiver will be pretty good? thanks!
post #24 of 48 Old 12-23-2018, 03:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

That will be a big improvement over the other receiver. Use if for a while then only you can decide if it is good enough. You can always get better It should sound really good.. Welcome to the rabbit hole of the avs forum.

post #25 of 48 Old 12-24-2018, 09:31 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by natchie View Post
Knowing that the sale price is phenomenal, I decided to go ahead with this one...now can't wait to hear them! Thanks for the posting of their sale!
Second that! Just placed my order.
post #26 of 48 Old 12-24-2018, 12:13 PM

Hey guys, sorry for the newbish question, but I cant find the answer in the manual. If I'm connecting these to the receiver, am I supposed to leave the jumpers on?
post #27 of 48 Old 12-24-2018, 12:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hey guys, sorry for the newbish question, but I cant find the answer in the manual. If I'm connecting these to the receiver, am I supposed to leave the jumpers on?
Yes And i usually use the bottom terminals. Using both sets of terminals is only for bi wiring.
Geralt of Rivia likes this.

post #28 of 48 Old 12-24-2018, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Yes And i usually use the bottom terminals. Using both sets of terminals is only for bi wiring.

Awesome, thank you so much +1

And Merry Christmas
post #29 of 48 Old 12-25-2018, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter
The Village Idiot

Quote:
Quote:
Awesome, thank you so much +1

And Merry Christmas
To bi-amp or bi-wire these just remove the jumpers. For standard amps/AVR connections leave the jumpers on or you'll get a nasty sounding speaker.

post #30 of 48 Old 12-25-2018, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter
The Village Idiot

Quote:
Yeah I'd love some suggestions! What do you think? In the $200-350 price range is where I'm at.
Try a pair of these: http://philharmonicaudio.com/aa.html - they are quite good.
dwaleke likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Great Found Deals