Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 08-01-2018, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thumbs down 4K Ultra discs that get stuck

Am I just extremely unlucky or is this a common issue?
Your watching the film and then 10 minutes, or 1 hour in, and it stops. Maybe it starts again, maybe not.
Hopefully months haven’t passed since you bought the disc.

Stick the discs in your Oppo, or the Xbox. Same results. Stop right on the same spot.
No scratches on the disc. All looks just fine.

Latest disc to do this is Serenity, not that it matters. Batman, Blade Runner, Star Trek Into Darkness, etc...

It’s bad enough when a disc arrives in a busted case, floating about with bits of plastic scratching it. Like there is a stomping machine at amazon crushing them.

Is this common? Ralph, hows your luck been?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 08-01-2018, 01:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Is it freezing? Or does it just stop playing? Or?

I don't have an Oppo - LG UBK90. But when I was plugged straight into my LG 65C8, it would go white screen on me. There was a handshake issue. When I ran through my pre/pro it worked fine, even with just "high speed" cables. But it wasn't freezing, per se. It was going white.
post #3 of 16 Old 08-01-2018, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiyen View Post
Is it freezing? Or does it just stop playing? Or?

I don't have an Oppo - LG UBK90. But when I was plugged straight into my LG 65C8, it would go white screen on me. There was a handshake issue. When I ran through my pre/pro it worked fine, even with just "high speed" cables. But it wasn't freezing, per se. It was going white.
It’s freezing, like a just hit the pause button.
Then it starts to skip forward a bit.
Maybe it gets stuck for good, or maybe it clears the issue and moves on.
Wrapping up Serenity and it got stuck again, but this time it moved on.

Sometimes the screen just goes to crud. lots of crazy colors with the freeze behind it.

Of course I have sent discs back that have failed.
Replacement plays fine. At least I haven’t had a double failure yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 08-01-2018, 01:40 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I've not experienced it myself yet on any 4K titles I've watched with my Sony UBP-X700. I have read of others who reported success after carefully cleaning off whatever fluid they use from the factory on the discs themselves to keep them from sticking to each other.

TCL R615 | Sony UBP-X700 | Integra DTR-7.8 | Front = Klipsch KLF-20 | Center & Surrounds = Klipsch KG 5.5 | Subwoofers = 2x sealed Velodyne ULD-15 and 6x ported subs with miniDSP 2x4
"The more to the right it is turned, the greater the volume."
post #5 of 16 Old 08-03-2018, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue 72 View Post
I've not experienced it myself yet on any 4K titles I've watched with my Sony UBP-X700. I have read of others who reported success after carefully cleaning off whatever fluid they use from the factory on the discs themselves to keep them from sticking to each other.
So is this cleaning method different from the standard way to clean off dust and such?
Specific liquid solution?
post #6 of 16 Old 08-03-2018, 02:43 PM

Just water from what I've read of other people doing. There is some kind of residue left on certain disks after they exit the factory. I've read that Warner releases are some of the worst offenders and sure enough, I watched Ready Player One last night and it was the first UHD Blu-ray that did anything weird during playback (momentarily froze, then skipped forward one time). Looks like I'll have to try this cleaning thing myself.

TCL R615 | Sony UBP-X700 | Integra DTR-7.8 | Front = Klipsch KLF-20 | Center & Surrounds = Klipsch KG 5.5 | Subwoofers = 2x sealed Velodyne ULD-15 and 6x ported subs with miniDSP 2x4
post #7 of 16 Old 08-12-2018, 06:11 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1013 Post(s)
Liked: 1370
Blade Runner The Final Cut at 58 minutes my first copy disc was immaculate. Replacement was fine.

Art
post #8 of 16 Old 08-13-2018, 09:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue 72 View Post
Just water from what I've read of other people doing. There is some kind of residue left on certain disks after they exit the factory. I've read that Warner releases are some of the worst offenders and sure enough, I watched Ready Player One last night and it was the first UHD Blu-ray that did anything weird during playback (momentarily froze, then skipped forward one time). Looks like I'll have to try this cleaning thing myself.

did that work? I've only played the RPO 4k disc on my Sony x700 once, when I first picked up the copy. It froze my Sony player 2x, I had to unplug and reconnect the power cable to fix
i did use a dry cloth to clean the disc each time. not sure if using a moist cloth will improve the playback of this
post #9 of 16 Old 08-13-2018, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthJersey View Post
did that work? I've only played the RPO 4k disc on my Sony x700 once, when I first picked up the copy. It froze my Sony player 2x, I had to unplug and reconnect the power cable to fix
i did use a dry cloth to clean the disc each time. not sure if using a moist cloth will improve the playback of this
I cleaned it, but I haven't had time to try again. Before cleaning the disc I stuck it in one more time and let it play through the last 1/3 of the movie to see if I could find the spot where it had skipped before. At one point (a different spot in the movie than the first time it had skipped) it skipped forward through about 20-25 minutes of movie (while the screen appeared to be frozen for a few minutes) before finding a section that it deemed acceptably readable and resuming playback.

post #10 of 16 Old 08-13-2018, 04:46 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked: 104
This is scaring me . I’ve heard some players were having issues with some of the longer movies with larger files . Makes me wonder if I should just keep my present equipment, and just let my LG oled upscale Blu-ray content

LG OLED65B7P.
Anthem AVM60 , Anthem MCA525 .
Panasonic DP-UB820 UHD player .
Paradigm Studio CC690 V5 centre channel , Studio 100 V5’s front and rear . Paradigm PW-2200 subwoofer
post #11 of 16 Old 08-13-2018, 04:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked: 3815
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevEB View Post
Your watching the film and then 10 minutes, or 1 hour in, and it stops. Maybe it starts again, maybe not.

Stick the discs in your Oppo, or the Xbox. Same results. Stop right on the same spot.

Latest disc to do this is Serenity, not that it matters. Batman, Blade Runner, Star Trek Into Darkness, etc...

It’s bad enough when a disc arrives in a busted case, floating about with bits of plastic scratching it. Like there is a stomping machine at amazon crushing them.

One thing that needs to be understood about 4K UHD Blu-ray discs is they are EXTREMELY SENSITIVE to surface anomalies... more so than regular Blu-rays! If you receive a movie from anywhere, just shake it and if you hear rattling, DO NOT OPEN IT! EXCHANGE it immediately!

There are surface abnormalities on the bottom material of 4K UHD Blu-rays that may not be visible to the naked eye even at close proximity, but they are extremely unforgiving and the disc will NOT play normally, so it is always best to exchange it.

Regular Blu-rays somewhat exhibit this behavior with what I like to call "friction marks" that manifest as very small, convex/raised bubbles or small circular lines (meaning the curvature of the disc) wherein you need to shine a bright light directly upon it at the right angle to see it with the naked eye. Some players will cause these anomalies by something internally touching the disc at high speeds, sometimes it may be a manufacturing defect, but one thing is for sure... THERE IS NO FIXING IT!!!

Subwoofers: PSA S3000i x 2 | L+R Front: Onkyo SKF-200F | Center: Onkyo SKC-200C | L+R Surround: Onkyo SKM-200S | Atmos: Pioneer SP-T22A-LR | AVR: Yamaha RX-A660BL | HTPC: Lenovo Q190 | My Movie Collection
post #12 of 16 Old 08-13-2018, 08:36 PM

I just played the last half of RP1 again after having cleaned the disc last week. It played through perfectly fine with no hiccups.

post #13 of 16 Old 08-13-2018, 08:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 2495 Post(s)
Liked: 1514
Quote:

The occasional, maybe? Sounds like you have possibly a more serious issue. I have yet to have a failure in my Oppo, and I've never bothered to clean a disc. You might have something wrong with the player, though goofing in exactly the same spot makes the disks suspicious.....

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
post #14 of 16 Old 08-13-2018, 10:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorTendonitis View Post
This is scaring me . I’ve heard some players were having issues with some of the longer movies with larger files . Makes me wonder if I should just keep my present equipment, and just let my LG oled upscale Blu-ray content
Keep in mind, this is not the Oppo’s fault. The Xbone was having the same error.
UHD discs being overly sensitive, now that is interesting.
The Serenity disc was bouncing around so it probably got micro-scratched.
Sucks to have to reject a disc but I guess the other alternative is if it was free inside the case, you’ve got to watch it through right away else you may be stuck with a bad disc
I just wrapped up Game of Thrones 4K. All discs played perfectly without any touch up cleaning.
post #15 of 16 Old 08-14-2018, 06:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 2495 Post(s)
Liked: 1514
Quote:
Keep in mind, this is not the Oppo’s fault. The Xbone was having the same error.
UHD discs being overly sensitive, now that is interesting.
The Serenity disc was bouncing around so it probably got micro-scratched.
Sucks to have to reject a disc but I guess the other alternative is if it was free inside the case, you’ve got to watch it through right away else you may be stuck with a bad disc
I just wrapped up Game of Thrones 4K. All discs played perfectly without any touch up cleaning.
Actually, I lied! You mentioning Game of Thrones refreshed my memory - this is the only thing I had problems with, but it was the standard Atmos bluray, I believe Season 2 - had to send it back, it just would never load properly. The replacement was perfect, so I chalked that up to a bum disc 1.

UHD Serenity on the other hand - no problems!

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
post #16 of 16 Old 08-17-2018, 12:28 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 72
I've had freezing issues with Ready Player 1, and had to clean it. I had rented it from redbox, so that's probably part of the issue. Gladiator had a momentary freeze for me as well and it was new out of the box. On the other hand the Martian (redbox) and Independence Day (new) had no issues at all. So to me it's the disks rather than the player. I'll probably start cleaning them when I get them, especially ones from redbox.

Denon X4300H; Sony XBR75 900E; Definitive Technology RLS-II/DI 5.5LCR/DI 5.5R; NHT SW12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Software Media Discussion