Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 11-07-2017, 06:02 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Netflix-DVD/HBO showing 2.35 movies in 1.78 aspect ratio?

If a director releases a movie filmed at 2.35 aspect ratio, I want to see it at 2.35 aspect ratio. But on HBO I am seeing the movies presented in 1.78. What's worse, Netflix DVD/Blu-ray is renting out discs with 1.78 aspect ratio for movies filmed at 2.35.

Look at these screen shots from the Netflix-DVD page for the 2015 movie "Trash." If I rent the DVD I get 2.35 aspect ratio. But if I rent (the supposed to be better format) Blu-ray I get 1.78.

Can someone explain to me what's going on? Is the ONLY way to be assured you see the movie how the director intended is to buy the disc, which is financially impossible if you want to watch more than 1-2 movies a month?

DVD vs BLU-RAY
rvxq is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 5 Old 11-07-2017, 08:07 AM
Super Moderator
 
teachsac's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Elk Grove, CA
Posts: 12,937
Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1151 Post(s)
Liked: 1916
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvxq View Post
If a director releases a movie filmed at 2.35 aspect ratio, I want to see it at 2.35 aspect ratio. But on HBO I am seeing the movies presented in 1.78. What's worse, Netflix DVD/Blu-ray is renting out discs with 1.78 aspect ratio for movies filmed at 2.35.

Look at these screen shots from the Netflix-DVD page for the 2015 movie "Trash." If I rent the DVD I get 2.35 aspect ratio. But if I rent (the supposed to be better format) Blu-ray I get 1.78.

Can someone explain to me what's going on? Is the ONLY way to be assured you see the movie how the director intended is to buy the disc, which is financially impossible if you want to watch more than 1-2 movies a month?

DVD vs BLU-RAY

Netflix has been known to be wrong on many occasions. According to HDD, Trash on Blu-ray is 2.35:1. I have never seen NF have a different aspect ratio for rental discs.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
teachsac is offline  
post #3 of 5 Old 11-07-2017, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post
Netflix has been known to be wrong on many occasions. According to HDD, Trash on Blu-ray is 2.35:1. I have never seen NF have a different aspect ratio for rental discs.
What is "HDD"? Is this a website that lists aspect ratios?
rvxq is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 5 Old 11-07-2017, 10:09 AM
Super Moderator
 
teachsac's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Elk Grove, CA
Posts: 12,937
Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1151 Post(s)
Liked: 1916
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvxq View Post
What is "HDD"? Is this a website that lists aspect ratios?

HighDefDigest

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
teachsac is offline  
post #5 of 5 Old 01-07-2019, 11:49 AM
Advanced Member
 
impetigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 843
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvxq View Post
If a director releases a movie filmed at 2.35 aspect ratio, I want to see it at 2.35 aspect ratio. But on HBO I am seeing the movies presented in 1.78. What's worse, Netflix DVD/Blu-ray is renting out discs with 1.78 aspect ratio for movies filmed at 2.35.
Resurrecting thread, 3, 2, 1...

I buy all the movies I care about on blu-ray for this specific reason. I'll watch casual movies on HBO/netflix/prime but movies I care about I'll shell out the money even if for a one-time view. Can't stand to watch cropped movies of 2.4:1 material...

VIDEO: Epson 5040UB | EliteScreens AEON Edge Free 110" 16x9 CineWhite Screen | Sony 65X900A | Sony 55X900A
MEDIA: Oppo UDP 203 | Oppo BDP 103 | Apple TV | Amazon FireTV | Sony PS3
RECEIVER: Yamaha Aventage RX-A820
AUDIO: Polk RTi6 (front L/R), Polk CSi3 (center), Monitor Audio Shadow 25 (surround L/R)
impetigo is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply HDTV Software Media Discussion



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off