1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rich86

post #1 of 10 Old 10-13-2015, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Are Redbox BDs lower quality?

I'm aware that some Redbox titles have dumb-downed audio, but the other night I rented John Wick and the image quality didn't look like blu ray at all. In fact, it looked only a hair better than upscaled DVD. It was so bad I thought that maybe I actually got a DVD by accident and double-checked. I'm wondering if this is Redbox thing or maybe the film just got a lousy transfer. Given it's a visually intense film, it seems odd that the blu ray transfer has very little pop.

I'll give Redbox another chance but if I notice it again I guess I'll be sticking to the local shop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-14-2015, 11:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 75
My experience with Redbox is that the quality of their rental offerings are controlled by the movie studios. Although the rental version BD audio tracks are sometimes lossy instead of lossless with certain studios (Lionsgate) I've never noticed a difference in video quality. But I purchased John Wick, so I can't comment on the rental version of that particular release.

A long-time audio/video addict!
post #3 of 10 Old 11-17-2015, 04:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Redbox not anamorphic

I just rented Jurassic World and I was surprised to see that the movie was cropped for a 16X9 screen and not in the anamorphic widescreen format I am used to. This was a regular DVD. I don't know if they are also cropping the Blu Rays. Anyone else notice this? I contacted customer service and the person did not understand what I was talking about.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 11-17-2015, 04:16 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 69
John Wick might just be poor quality in general, afterall it's not a very popular movie. I saw it on one of my cable premium channels (HBO I think) and it looked pretty good on there though.
post #5 of 10 Old 11-17-2015, 05:03 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 1149 Post(s)
Liked: 1912
Jurassic World's aspect ratio is 2.00:1.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
post #6 of 10 Old 11-17-2015, 05:47 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Blu Ray - Jurassic World (Very Grainy) (Screencap)
http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/...52-03.jpg?dl=0
Blu Ray - Terminator (Very crisp/clear) (Screencap)
http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/...53-09.jpg?dl=0

Both rented via Redbox - Juarassic World looks just as grain when played through Blu Ray on TV.

I'm curious if the grainyness of Jurassic World is a result of something done by the studios or it being shot on 35/65 mm film.

Last edited by TxWintersLast2Days; 11-17-2015 at 05:51 PM.
post #7 of 10 Old 11-17-2015, 05:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2683 Post(s)
Liked: 867
I want to say Jurassic World was somewhat noisy and tall in-theatre too..so that's just how it was shot.

I expect ALL rental copies of movies are dumbed-down in both video and audio to some degree for piracy reasons. Sometimes you may not notice (sitting 8+ft back from a 55" TV means you'd be hard-pressed to notice the difference between a good 720p and 1080p) but it's almost always there for any studio that thinks they lose more money to piracy than in mastering an entire separate copy for rentals and Walmart.

Easy $25 DIY black (or any color) ALR paint +$40-$50sprayer screen mix smooth/clean and very easy to learn spraying with little/no mess.
Simple $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
Quick <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room "A store that sells blinds can help your picture more than a store that sells projectors many times." -bud16415
post #8 of 10 Old 11-17-2015, 10:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 717 Post(s)
Liked: 458
Perhaps it is lower quality, because the official review gave it high marks on video quality.

http://afterconvert.com/forum/187-of...ay-review.html
post #9 of 10 Old 11-18-2015, 06:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 75
My personal experience with Redbox is that:
. they always have the same video encode as retail
. once in a blue moon the movie studio includes only lossy soundtracks on rental versions (folks have suggested this is to save space to fit the title on single layered media to save money)
. most of the time movie studios do not include extra special features on their rental versions, under the misguided (aka stupid) impression that folks who rent & watch a movie will then run out to purchase in order to see a few extras . . yep . .
Troy LaMont likes this.

A long-time audio/video addict!

Last edited by Rich86; 12-10-2015 at 02:58 PM.
post #10 of 10 Old 12-10-2015, 02:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich86 View Post
My personal experience with Redbox is that:
. they always have the same video encode as retail
. once in a blue moon the movie studio includes only lossy soundtracks on rental versions (folks have suggested this is to save space to fit the title on single layered media to save money)
, most of the time movie studios do not include extra special features on their rental versions, under the misguided (aka stupid) impression that folks who rent & watch a movie will then run out to purchase in order to see a few extras . . yep . .
My experiences also for the past 2 years.

Onkyo TX-NR807
Polk LSi15, Polk LSiC, Polk LSiF/X, Velodyne HGS12
Optoma HD80 on 106" Elite Aeon Cine grey, Samsung 55KS8000
Xbox One X, Samsung UH750 Quantum Dot 28" UHD monitor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Software Media Discussion