Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 01-12-2019, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Low sound from subwoofer

Hi all, need your help, I had spare mythos 2 speakers and building a new home theatre for the basement.

3.1 Setup:

Receiver - Yamaha TSR-7850
Mythos 2 - for left and right channel
Def. Tech pro 800 center
Def. Tech pro 800 subwoofer

I have connected sub via sub 1 out on the receiver to LFE in on the sub; tried setting this up using YPAO and also completely wiped out YPAO to try manual settings.Nothing seems to help and there is hardly any sound on the sub.

I am new to this so don't understand all the technical stuff; but from little reading here - found others with similar issue - not sure what is/was the solution to resolve this issue.

Any help, appreciated.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-12-2019, 06:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 2592 Post(s)
Liked: 1477
Quote:
Originally Posted by meintochava1 View Post
Hi all, need your help, I had spare mythos 2 speakers and building a new home theatre for the basement.

3.1 Setup:

Receiver - Yamaha TSR-7850
Mythos 2 - for left and right channel
Def. Tech pro 800 center
Def. Tech pro 800 subwoofer

I have connected sub via sub 1 out on the receiver to LFE in on the sub; tried setting this up using YPAO and also completely wiped out YPAO to try manual settings.Nothing seems to help and there is hardly any sound on the sub.

I am new to this so don't understand all the technical stuff; but from little reading here - found others with similar issue - not sure what is/was the solution to resolve this issue.

Any help, appreciated.

Thanks.
Did you set your Mythos 2 in the Yamaha to "small" or "large"? If "large", they will claim all the sounds dedicated to the left and right channels. If "small", they will pass off the bass to the subwoofer and play only the midbass on up.

Video: JVC RS640 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #3 of 9 Old 01-12-2019, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
Did you set your Mythos 2 in the Yamaha to "small" or "large"? If "large", they will claim all the sounds dedicated to the left and right channels. If "small", they will pass off the bass to the subwoofer and play only the midbass on up.
markmon1 YPAO "detected" as small and manually set to small as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 01-12-2019, 10:31 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 32
What crossover did you use and did you increase the volume on the sub channel 3-6dB after setup?
Did you hear/feel the sub when doing the setup?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #5 of 9 Old 01-12-2019, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeliemix View Post
What crossover did you use and did you increase the volume on the sub channel 3-6dB after setup?
Did you hear/feel the sub when doing the setup?

Crossover set at 60Hz; during setup I could definitely hear sub (very faint though); I haven't checked on the volume on the sub channel.
post #6 of 9 Old 01-12-2019, 02:23 PM

Should probably set crossover to 80 maybe 100hz but try and increase the volume (3-6db to start, can go higher) of the sub channel and see how you like it. At normal/lower listening levels we hear/feel the bass too little compared to at cinema levels.

post #7 of 9 Old 01-13-2019, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeliemix View Post
Should probably set crossover to 80 maybe 100hz but try and increase the volume (3-6db to start, can go higher) of the sub channel and see how you like it. At normal/lower listening levels we hear/feel the bass too little compared to at cinema levels.

Thanks Leeliemix, will try this and confirm.
post #8 of 9 Old 01-13-2019, 09:12 AM

Just to check, the auto setup didnt report the sub itself set too low?
What level did it set the sub at?, dont have experience with yamaha recievers but think they go from -12dB to +12dB so it should be between those, if not then its off the scale and needs to be adjusted at the sub before reciever can manage to set the right volume. Its best if its well into the negative after auto setup, -9(or -10 if yamaha go to -12) to -5.

post #9 of 9 Old 01-13-2019, 09:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by meintochava1 View Post
1) I wonder if inside the receiver, you have the sub outputs set as LFE only? (If your receiver has a setting like that). LFE=Low Frequency Effects, which is a special channel for exactly that, not for "normal" bass more like for explosions, and it may not have much content a lot of the time. Out of music sources, maybe none.

2) Turn off YPAO. Set the speakers all to LARGE. Turn the volume way down, power everything down, disconnect the RCAs from "sub" and connect ONE SUB to "front"; rotate the subwoofers crossover to 150, turn on and slowly turn up volume. If you don't hear a lot of sound, something is wrong with that sub. Repeat for the other. Why one at a time? In case they are somehow electrically or acoustically out-of-phase and canceling each other out. Why "front"? To avoid crossover issues.
2b) Actually I would plug a totally different source directly into the sub. Turn sub OFF. Set the sub volume all the way down and connect direct to disc player or cable box or phone. Turn sub ON and turn the gain up slowly.
2c) In either of these scenarios, with 150 Hz crossover you'll still hear some voice and so on.

3) They are 8" subs...DT is a very good company, but physics says don't expect huge thunderous bass out of 8" cones. I don't think that's your issue, but if the crossovers are set very low and your room big blah blah blah maybe there just really isn't much output down there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers