• 1 Post By raynist
  • 1 Post By AV Archivist

post #1 of 17 Old 01-11-2019, 10:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Under couch subwoofer

I’m needing more of the bass you can feel. The sound is good but want to feel more. Would under couch subs do the trick? Any recommendations? I was considering the earthquake couch potato. Anyone try this out or anything similar?

http://www.amazon.com/Earthquake-So...71604795&psc=1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 01-12-2019, 10:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 1864 Post(s)
Liked: 1889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Andersen View Post
I’m needing more of the bass you can feel. The sound is good but want to feel more. Would under couch subs do the trick? Any recommendations? I was considering the earthquake couch potato. Anyone try this out or anything similar?

What do you have now for subs?
post #3 of 17 Old 01-12-2019, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

I currently have two sets of the Sunfire in wall subwoofer See link below, so 4 8” subwoofers along the front wall. Space is obviously an issue for us 🙂

http://www.sunfire.com/product/wall...8amp-HRSIW8CAB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 01-12-2019, 01:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 42
post #5 of 17 Old 01-12-2019, 04:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1838 Post(s)
Liked: 2429
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandM View Post
+1

Quote:

Hi Scott

Personally, I think you would better serve. From the option posted from MandM, on the first quote
Also, I do not know how they can call-it "Potato Slim 8-Inch Subwoofer", when the description say "Slim down firing ported design - only 7 inch tall".
According to the picture, more likely a 4-5" driver. Not even near woofer or subwoofer territory

While some manufacture will do anything, to make a sell. And have some BS specs
Some are way more honest, and coming around here and getting strait answer.
Is the best place to start

Quote:
I currently have two sets of the Sunfire in wall subwoofer See link below, so 4 8” subwoofers along the front wall. Space is obviously an issue for us 🙂

While no fault of yours, I am a strong believer that any drivers system use. Should be a least 10", if not 12" to deserve the term subwoofer.
Since in the 8" territory, it should be call a bass driver or simply know as woofer.
Unfortunately, too many manufacture use the term subwoofer with those 8" and some do with 6" drivers.
Since at 33Hz at -3dB, meaning 36 useful Hz. It is is more in the woofer territory.

With some TT, you will not stress those woofers of yours. And would be a better option for your situation.
I got two of them my self, due to my concrete floor under my theater. And do have very capable subs (SVS PB13-Ultra, in a 12 x 18 x 8ft room).
To learn more about Tactile Transducer, here's a link;
Shakers - Simple/Cheap Hookup - Visual Guide

Ray

Last edited by darthray; 01-12-2019 at 05:47 PM.
post #6 of 17 Old 01-12-2019, 05:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Thanks. I was wondering if you could move existing subs nearfield.
post #7 of 17 Old 01-12-2019, 05:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1838 Post(s)
Liked: 2429
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
Thanks. I was wondering if you could move existing subs nearfield.

Doubt-it, since the OP subs are in wall.
Not much placement option are available

Ray

Last edited by darthray; 01-12-2019 at 05:31 PM.
post #8 of 17 Old 01-12-2019, 05:33 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:

Bass you can feel requires a subwoofer that can move a lot of air IMO. If you have the space for them, I highly recommend SVS ported subwoofers, especially with their 45 day trial. http://www.svsound.com
darthray likes this.
post #9 of 17 Old 01-12-2019, 05:49 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:

If this is for a home theater setup, I think you want and will love Crowson transducers: http://crowsontech.com/go/crowsontec...opDefault.aspx
I haven't tested them with a crossover intended to work with music exclusively but it would likely do a good job there too.

I did a ton of market research on this sort of thing a few years ago and narrowed my selection down to shakers or Crowson transducers. Shakers are something of a gimmick in that they do something similar but introduce a cheesy sort of vibration and noise to the mix imo... kinda like D-Box only, slightly better. Crowson does teensie up/down motion only from what's essentially damn near solid bricks of metal under your seating, so you get a natural response with no added noise that feels exactly right imo and can be adjusted to taste.

They augment your subwoofers in that the transducers can go insanely low for a tactile sensation that blends perfectly once you get your crossover just right. Takes a little tweaking but so worth it. Best to calibrate it with content with deep-voiced actors or heavy bass soundtracks because if the crossover is too high, it's jarring for the Crowsons to kick in when someone speaks or a song plays; you only want to feel it for the things you would in real life: explosions, quakes, punches, kicks, gunshots, and other high impact occurrences.

If that seems like what you're looking for I'd be happy to help out with my crossover and power settings or general seating setup. I can't speak highly enough for these things. Everyone who'sever watched a movie at my place instantly loves them.

Edit: My favourite thing about these is that you feel extreme sub-audible elements in movies that you had no idea were there before.
markmon1 likes this.

Last edited by AV Archivist; 01-12-2019 at 06:04 PM.
post #10 of 17 Old 01-12-2019, 06:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post
Doubt-it, since the OP subs are in wall.
Not much placement option are available

Ray
Yeah - that is a bummer - unless they take two out and build boxes and put them behind the couch. At that point it is probabaly better to buy something new.

I would go for a ported sub sub from Power Sound Audio - but that is a good bit more expensive than the under couch sub - but would likely out perform it 10 fold.

If space and money are an issues I like the idea of the bass shakers or maybe something DIY?

Is this for movies or music?
darthray likes this.
post #11 of 17 Old 01-12-2019, 06:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 18
post #12 of 17 Old 01-12-2019, 08:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I’d pick one of these 10 inch subs from mono price or parts express before the link on the original post
post #13 of 17 Old 01-12-2019, 11:12 PM - Thread Starter

The crowson transducers look nice! I have never heard of these before but the cost on the website scares me. Is this the same price they are going for retail? We have an 8 chair theater. It looks to be a really expensive option.
post #14 of 17 Old 01-12-2019, 11:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 2660 Post(s)
Liked: 1539
Quote:
The crowson transducers look nice! I have never heard of these before but the cost on the website scares me. Is this the same price they are going for retail? We have an 8 chair theater. It looks to be a really expensive option.
Crowsons are great.

The earthquake mqb-1's are quite good, too. You'd have to bolt to your chair, one per chair (or just one for the main listener). You'd need an amp to drive.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006H3SV1E

Much more affordable. If you cant afford crowsons these are 2nd best. I have 4 of these and if I didnt love them I'd buy the crowsons in a heartbeat. I've tried tons of other transducers / shakers in the past. They all work to some degree. The mqb-1's are fast, musical, and feel like a real subwoofer. And at $145 each, they're a steal.

Video: JVC RS640 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #15 of 17 Old 01-13-2019, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

Do these devices also product bass (sound) or just the feeling of it?
post #16 of 17 Old 01-13-2019, 05:06 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Do these devices also product bass (sound) or just the feeling of it?

They're transducers, so just feel. They're designed to augment your existing sub setup by handling low sub-bass and sub-audible frequencies that subs either don't really touch or can't convey as well. For example, I keep my crossover on the Crowsons at ~45Hz or lower. You feel an earthquake in a film/show/game before you'll hear it and you get the actual impact component of shots/explosions/hits etc. Makes you feel like you're there. Takes some fine-tuning though to get it just right.
darthray likes this.

Last edited by AV Archivist; 01-13-2019 at 05:11 PM.
post #17 of 17 Old 01-16-2019, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 40
You can't beat tactile transducer/bass shakers for adding "feel" yet being completely stealthy in appearance. You also don't have to spend Crowson or ButtKicker money to get a good effect. Aura "bass shakers" and similar sized units are quite effective and can run off of relatively low power such as an old receiver or amp. They may not hit you with the infra-sub-20hz bass but they will certainly give you a lot of tactile bass for the $. Even with eight 18" subs in my theater I still use and enjoy an array of Aura Pro's in my seating. I have 8 Aura Pro's, one mounted in each seat(2 rows of 4 theater recliners) and they have been uber reliable...been using the same units for years.

I actually tried the BK units and no matter how I installed them in my seating or setting used on the ButtKicker custom amp, I had a problem with them bottoming out/rattling/clacking before getting decent output from them. In the end...the only thing that really worked out well from the kits were the amps. In fact I'm using one of them to power my Aura Pro's. Though recently one amp completely failed and the one running my Aura's popped two caps. I replaced the caps and it was good to go again.

The Crowsons look interesting but the cost for a two row theater seat arrangement gets expensive quick. The BK's weren't cheap and the experience i had with them makes me a bit gun shy to try something else. If your looking for something a bit more high-end than the Aura's...take a look at the Clark Synthesis line. I believe they are similar to the Aura's, which are basically a voice coil attached to and moving a weighted disc, but are a good bit stronger than the Aura's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers