post #1 of 11 Old 01-11-2019, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Help deciding between one 12" or two 10" subs

Currently, have 1 B&W ASW 650 Subwoofer 12"
Thinking of replacing this sub with, and adding another, Polk Audio PSW10

It's not a very large room (12' x 20', see attached diagram) and I think I would benefit with two 10's of one 12, but am not sure.

Thoughts or concerns I should have?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	media room layout.png
Views:	24
Size:	9.0 KB
ID:	2509438  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-11-2019, 03:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 2630 Post(s)
Liked: 7999
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerry2ray3 View Post
Currently, have 1 B&W ASW 650 Subwoofer 12"
Thinking of replacing this sub with, and adding another, Polk Audio PSW10

It's not a very large room (12' x 20', see attached diagram) and I think I would benefit with two 10's of one 12, but am not sure.

Thoughts or concerns I should have?
The psw10 isn't nearly as good as the 650. You're going to lose significant extension, output, and overall sound quality too.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

Every minute I stay in this room, I get weaker, and every minute Charlie spends in the bush, he gets stronger. Every time I look around the walls move in a little tighter.
post #3 of 11 Old 01-11-2019, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel View Post
The psw10 isn't nearly as good as the 650. You're going to lose significant extension, output, and overall sound quality too.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Tom would you suggest two 10's over the 12, if i were to get better quality 10's?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 01-11-2019, 03:39 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Everything being equal, the pair of 10s will give you more options to obtain smoother response, while the single 12 will dig deeper.

In my room (similar dimensions to yours, but 17' tall, open to the rest of my loft and on concrete floors):
  • A pair of Paradigm Seismic 10s get down to 28Hz.
  • When I added a pair of Seismic 12s, it got me down to about 22Hz.
Tom Vodhanel likes this.

Last edited by Flyzipper; 01-11-2019 at 03:42 PM.
post #5 of 11 Old 01-11-2019, 09:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Tom would you suggest two 10's over the 12, if i were to get better quality 10's?
For simplicity sake let's say two subs within the same product lineup. (so similar build quality, design philosophy).

The single 12 will likely still extend a bit deeper---especially if the cabinet sizes are relative to the woofer size(say a 13 inch cube and a 11 inch cube).

The dual 10 will likely have (approx) a 2dB edge in clean headroom.

The dual 10, optimally placed, will almost always offer more even bass distribution in room AND help minimize the negative impact the room will have in modal issues(peaks and dips in the FR).

So you may give up a bit of extension, but you'll gain headroom and (potentially) more even distribution as well as smoother FR.

I'm not sure what the budget is but if you're looking for the very best sealed subwoofer <$500 I can't think of anything better than the rythmiks. The smaller 300w(l12?) models are something like $900 for two?

But closer to the psw10 range(100 each?) there's nothing I would take over the single bw650.

What's the reason for upgrading? Usually it falls into one of 3 categories.

1)Deeper bass for movies.

2)more headroom(output) for both music and movies.

3)better overall sound quality/accuracy(usually for music).

Or, the 4th, some just have an itch to try something new..

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
iceatola likes this.

Every minute I stay in this room, I get weaker, and every minute Charlie spends in the bush, he gets stronger. Every time I look around the walls move in a little tighter.
post #6 of 11 Old 01-14-2019, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Tom,

I was looking for more even distribution of bass throughout the room. I have a pair of CM9's which put out good bass, so ideally I would have the BW650 in the back of the room, however I have a set of curved media chairs in the back, and the box is just too big to fit behind them.

Also, I just wanted to try something new. Similar but related: I have a DENON AVR-4520CI which supports 11.2. Currently, I have the sub hooked up with a single coaxial cable.

In browsing for a sub, I realized I may benefit from get a Male > 2 Male coaxial cable, so I purchased one. However, it's not outputting anything from the sub. Any suggestions? I have the other end into the SW1 port on my DENON.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ApplicationFrameHost_2019-01-14_10-05-50.png
Views:	9
Size:	1.35 MB
ID:	2510574  
post #7 of 11 Old 01-14-2019, 01:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hi Tom,

I was looking for more even distribution of bass throughout the room. I have a pair of CM9's which put out good bass, so ideally I would have the BW650 in the back of the room, however I have a set of curved media chairs in the back, and the box is just too big to fit behind them.

Also, I just wanted to try something new. Similar but related: I have a DENON AVR-4520CI which supports 11.2. Currently, I have the sub hooked up with a single coaxial cable.

In browsing for a sub, I realized I may benefit from get a Male > 2 Male coaxial cable, so I purchased one. However, it's not outputting anything from the sub. Any suggestions? I have the other end into the SW1 port on my DENON.
looking to try new, check the rythmik link out for probably the best sealed subs you'll find around $1000/pair. I can't think of anything good quality much under 800 a pair off the top of my head.

The denon will make setup/calibration easier for duals.

Do you mean a Y spliiter like this?

http://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-U.../dp/B004EBX5GW

If, so, and you didn't change anything else...could be a defective cable. Just be sure you have it connected to the proper output on the receiver and input(s) on the subwoofer. It can be easy to miss and hit the RCA next to the correct one.

Also, adding a Y splitter like that won't offer any performance benefits. You'll get 6dB more signal strength but that's not adding output capabilities to the subwoofer. It would be the same as turning up the bass level setting in the receiver 6dB..

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

post #8 of 11 Old 01-14-2019, 05:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 454
I would keep the ASW 650 and add a Dayton Sub 1200. That should likely keep your extension and allow you to place the Dayton to smooth out the bass in the rest of the room.

Stand tall and shake the heavens...
post #9 of 11 Old 01-15-2019, 08:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuSoardGraphite View Post
I would keep the ASW 650 and add a Dayton Sub 1200. That should likely keep your extension and allow you to place the Dayton to smooth out the bass in the rest of the room.
Adding to is a good option to consider. But he'll want to matched sealed with sealed. I havent spent any time on it but if the 650 is similar to the 610 in performance there's a good data-set available at databass. He can eyeball that and then try to find another sealed that might be close. But having said all that I think a big part of the change is just to try something new..

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

post #10 of 11 Old 01-15-2019, 01:18 PM
Writer & Reviewer

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 1986 Post(s)
Liked: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel View Post
The dual 10, optimally placed, will almost always offer more even bass distribution in room AND help minimize the negative impact the room will have in modal issues(peaks and dips in the FR).
Quote:
The two words I highlighted from Tom's reply are critical in this decision; if you can't place duals where they compliment each other - and the room - you could actually create a problem, not resolve one. Generally speaking, unless you measure or do what's called the 'sub crawl' you won't know what location is the best for a pair of subs (where they look the best/fit is not always where they will work the best). While ideally multiple subs are the goal, some circumstances dictate a single more powerful one is the better option.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite...
post #11 of 11 Old 01-15-2019, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

Awesome, thanks for all the feedback everyone. I think for now I'll stick with what I have because it doesn't sound like there's a good option to "upgrade" without purchasing a new set of subs which, may not even work depending on location.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers