post #31 of 50 Old 09-06-2007, 02:57 PM
Nil

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by davcole View Post

Ok can't you just hear BLUES FOR BABY AND ME and HAVE MERCY ON THE CRIMINAL in their full surround glory?? Oh my!! That could be the greatest surround project ever!!

I would love to hear Daniel cleaned up and in surround. And Texan Love Song... what a song!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 50 Old 09-06-2007, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 103
So I've been relistening to all the EJ SACDs I own: EJ, Madman, Tumbleweed, Honky, Cpt Fantastic, and I'm liking them more and more. Overall, listening to them is a great sonic experience. The major thing about all of them that I still do not like, is having only EJ's vocals and lack of any music on the center channel. My front speakers are pretty well distanced from each other (~12ft or so) and I can notice the lack of music from the center. It's not a movie, why the need to isolate his vocals on the center? Yes, it's cool to listen to isolated vocals when you listen to just the center, but I feel it detracts from a multichannel experience by not utilizing the center for more isolated music and instrument isolation. No multichannel SACDs that I own (~25) do this. Often, I feel the piano gets lost in the front channels, where it would have been great to put some piano in the center. Basically, the EJ SACDs are more of a 4.1 experience than a 5.1 IMO. Still, they are very nice to listen to, especially love listening to "Hercules" from Honky Chateau.
JA Fant likes this.

VIDEO: Epson 5040UB | EliteScreens AEON Edge Free 110" 16x9 CineWhite Screen | Sony 65X900A | Sony 55X900A
MEDIA: Oppo UDP 203 | Oppo BDP 103 | Apple TV | Amazon FireTV | Sony PS3
RECEIVER: Yamaha Aventage RX-A820
AUDIO: Polk RTi6 (front L/R), Polk CSi3 (center), Monitor Audio Shadow 25 (surround L/R)
post #33 of 50 Old 09-11-2007, 07:08 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1016 Post(s)
Liked: 1373
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjg View Post

Art,

After reading your post yesterday I went home and played the redbook GYBR cd and the dvd-a back to back. It is the first time in prolly a year that I listened to the cd. To me, it just sounded muffled vs the dvd-a version. I could hear all the guitars, horns, drums,etc much better than redbook version on my little system. God knows , you have some of the best equipment out there but to me, the dvd-a is far superior in sonics and mix. To each their own ???

Cheers,

Bill

My guess is that since I'm totally new to surround music that I need to work on my set up. I simply can't believe that all of you guys have it wrong. My theater has been down for a month for some video upgrades so hopefully Saturday night I can revisit this. I appreciate all of the great input in this thread.

Art
JA Fant likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 50 Old 09-11-2007, 03:53 PM
wjg
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post

My guess is that since I'm totally new to surround music that I need to work on my set up. I simply can't believe that all of you guys have it wrong. My theater has been down for a month for some video upgrades so hopefully Saturday night I can revisit this. I appreciate all of the great input in this thread.

Art

I think a Saturday night in your theater would be kick-ass !!!

Bill
post #35 of 50 Old 09-12-2007, 01:21 PM

I also think that the Greg Penny mix's are extraordinary. To be honest I didn't own a lot of these albums before the 5.1 mixes, but I was familiar with the main songs. Tumbleweed is my fav surround of the bunch.

I applaud Art for giving these a second chance, let us know what you think after your theater is back up and running.

Best Wishes,
Andrew
post #36 of 50 Old 10-09-2007, 09:21 PM

I was listening to this DVDA the other night and thought the treble was a bit "pish-pish" IYKWIM.I did a search here to see if the SACD version had a better top end. Then I read that most people say both versions suffer from a very slight brightness. Then after having comparing the Redbook CD and DVDA like wjg did previously by syncing my NAD Cd player with my Marantz Uni player I was able to quickly toggle between the two and can conclude that everything is on the DVDA with bells and separation galore. Chalk and Cheese The DVDA has given the room this lush album deserves. The vocals are spread evenly across the front three speakers and the bottom end pumps nicely. Its just a pity the high end is exposed (maybe to its own detriment) as a result of this Hi Rez treatment. The CD sounded typically muted at all frequencies. The top end was a little more recessed in the CD but it stills suffers in its fidelity as does the DVDA. It seems to me like the problem goes back to the recording/mastering processes?????????. The Drums cymbals recorded to loud??. Guitars are still crisp and sweet. Go figure.
Disclaimer: The album is a must get and these are near trivial soundings. It does not fatigue my cloth ears after many revs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post

Art

Hi Art I A/B'd the CD and DVDA (see above) and the guitars on "Love Lies Bleeding" are active and even to the sides. No front activity. I reckon you just need to crank the sides up 3 or 4 clicks (either via the player or receiver. I like to keep the 6.1 at the receiver at 0db all round. Less signal degradation maybe??). Now you will recognise this thing as the album you knew. Enjoy.
post #37 of 50 Old 12-04-2018, 02:51 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feirstein View Post
My family loves the EJ multi-channel mixes while driving in my car, they, the Police and Gaucho sound real good, yes they do.

Richard

What kind of car has surround sound?
post #38 of 50 Old 12-04-2018, 02:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 833 Post(s)
Liked: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by lknhomeaudio View Post
What kind of car has surround sound?
Just so you know...

This topic is over 11 years old. And Feirstein's last activity was 01-24-2015 02:33 PM

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
TV: LG 65UH770V | DISC SPINNER: OPPO UDP-203 | STB: VU+ UNO 4K SE
AMPS: 2No Audiolab 8000A, 2No Audiolab M-PWR | SPEAKERS: 4No KEF 103.2, 3No Wharfedale Diamond 10
ISP: Virgin Media @ 100Mbps | NETWORK: 1000Mbps | NAS: DS212+
post #39 of 50 Old 12-04-2018, 03:10 PM

I might have the record for worst dead-thread bump! haha

Would still like to know, though...
post #40 of 50 Old 12-04-2018, 03:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 787 Post(s)
Liked: 375
I like all the 5.1 SACDs from Elton John.
GZAP1, grubadub and JA Fant like this.
post #41 of 50 Old 12-05-2018, 12:06 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Tumbleweed Connection is my favorite but I like them all. The SQ is fantastic. The drums have impact missing from many a MC mix. Vocals, piano, and guitars all sound great. To each his own. I don't think Pepper sounds very good but others love it.
gbaby and JA Fant like this.
post #42 of 50 Old 12-05-2018, 02:21 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
I might have the record for worst dead-thread bump! haha

Would still like to know, though...
Thanks for reviving my old thread from the dead!

I do like the EJ mixes except for still, the lack of any music from the center channel and only vocals. I have a few 5.1 mixes like that (Crowded House DVD-A is my most recent one) and I just hate it because the L and R have to be closer than I want due to no music coming out the center.

Love my EJ SACD collection though, along with the Doors and Depeche Mode. Those are probably better, IMO, especially DM, but they're all excellent... mostly.
SeeMoreDigital and JA Fant like this.

VIDEO: Epson 5040UB | EliteScreens AEON Edge Free 110" 16x9 CineWhite Screen | Sony 65X900A | Sony 55X900A
AUDIO: Polk RTi6 (front L/R), Polk CSi3 (center), Monitor Audio Shadow 25 (surround L/R)
post #43 of 50 Old 12-05-2018, 10:23 AM

Haha... no problem! I'm just curious what kind of car has surround sound, that the guy I quoted was listening in.
post #44 of 50 Old 12-05-2018, 10:31 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
2013 Acura RDX plays multichannel DVD-Audio (but not SACD)
lknhomeaudio likes this.
post #45 of 50 Old 12-05-2018, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Haha... no problem! I'm just curious what kind of car has surround sound, that the guy I quoted was listening in.
I am curious about that too, since I see "surround sound" listed in various online car "configurators". Curious how many actually can decode and properly play 5.1 sources discretely. Of course, the issue also is that these cars typically have a lot of speakers, up to 12 or more, so not sure how well that would sound. And the thing is that, I believe, most/all aftermarket car receivers only output (analog) 2 front channels, 2 rear channels, and 2 sub channels, or sometimes 4 fronts (for tweeters/woofers), 2 rears, and 2 subs. OEM units may be specialized to actually decode and output real multichannel surround.

Are there any receivers or preamps that can actually output a discrete center channel? Nothing on Crutchfield at least. Too bad because my Sienna minivan has factory L/R/center speakers but the center speaker is just (I think) a mix of front L/R. Would be pretty awesome to have a bonafide 5.1 setup in your car and play SACD/DVD-A MC audio ripped to a USB drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayna_95 View Post
2013 Acura RDX plays multichannel DVD-Audio (but not SACD)
Do you have, or have you tried, one yourself?

post #46 of 50 Old 12-05-2018, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by impetigo View Post
Would be pretty awesome to have a bonafide 5.1 setup in your car and play SACD/DVD-A MC audio ripped to a USB drive.

Yes! If I find out, I'm gonna rent it for a few days and just drive around listening to bliss!
Bill Mac likes this.
post #47 of 50 Old 12-05-2018, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yes! If I find out, I'm gonna rent it for a few days and just drive around listening to bliss!
Hah! 2013 Acura RDX will be my next car.
Bill Mac and lknhomeaudio like this.

post #48 of 50 Old 12-06-2018, 09:04 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2083 Post(s)
Liked: 2916
Never bought a vehicle for the sound system . I might have to give that some thought .

Bill
gbaby and JA Fant like this.

My SACD collection and HRAudio.net Library, getting larger as my wallet gets smaller ;-).

Emotiva XMC-1, Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE (preamp), SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Oppo UDP-205 x 2, UDP-203, BDP-103, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk HT2-TLs, Salk 1801b center, Salk 1801TL (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #49 of 50 Old 12-06-2018, 09:40 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by impetigo View Post
I am curious about that too, since I see "surround sound" listed in various online car "configurators". Curious how many actually can decode and properly play 5.1 sources discretely. Of course, the issue also is that these cars typically have a lot of speakers, up to 12 or more, so not sure how well that would sound. And the thing is that, I believe, most/all aftermarket car receivers only output (analog) 2 front channels, 2 rear channels, and 2 sub channels, or sometimes 4 fronts (for tweeters/woofers), 2 rears, and 2 subs. OEM units may be specialized to actually decode and output real multichannel surround.

Are there any receivers or preamps that can actually output a discrete center channel? Nothing on Crutchfield at least. Too bad because my Sienna minivan has factory L/R/center speakers but the center speaker is just (I think) a mix of front L/R. Would be pretty awesome to have a bonafide 5.1 setup in your car and play SACD/DVD-A MC audio ripped to a USB drive.

Do you have, or have you tried, one yourself?
Yes, I own an RDX. The ELS sound system is excellent and it definitely plays multichannel DVD-Audio discs. I used to own a 2004 Acura TL, which also played DVD-As -- which was one of the primary reasons I bought it and kept it for 14 years.
JA Fant likes this.
post #50 of 50 Old 12-12-2018, 10:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 787 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post
Never bought a vehicle for the sound system . I might have to give that some thought .

Bill
Same here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Surround Music Formats