2Likes
  • 1 Post By sdurani
  • 1 Post By Mickey Mouse

post #1 of 4 Old 01-04-2019, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Are Atmos “heights” processed differently than “tops”?

I’ve installed four Focal Dôme speakers on my ceiling and identified them as top front and top rear in my Denon X4400. MI: Fallout and Matrix have sounded fantastic! But I understand that to try the Auro-matic upmixer I need to identify my speakers as front and rear heights. This seems OK since my set-up is somewhere in between—mounted on my ceiling but aimed at the MLP—but will the Atmos processing change? On the one hand Audyssey knows where my speakers are and it seems the same information will go to the speakers regardless. On the other, Dolby and Denon distinguish between the two so maybe the output for heights gets tweaked somehow. It wouldn’t be a insurmountable problem to create and switch between profiles in the Audyssey MultEQ app, but if it won’t change the Atmos presentation I’ll just designate them as heights. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-04-2019, 10:56 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 165 Post(s)
Quoted: 6451 Post(s)
Liked: 5207
The Atmos renderer assumes that Heights are at the very front & back of your speaker layout and Tops are at the ¼ and ¾ points (with Top Middles being at the ½ point).

You currently have your speakers designated as Tops.

Signals meant for the Tops will come out of those speakers.

If you designate them Heights, then the Atmos renderer will re-map those sounds inwards to where it assumes the Tops would have been.

This re-mapping is done by leaking a bit of the front signals to the back and vice versa, so that those sounds phantom image slightly inward (again, where the renderer assumes the Tops should be). After all, by designating them Heights, you told the renderer to assume that these speakers are at the very front & back of your speaker layout. It doesn't know that they're not physically at those locations.

How audible will this be to you? Only you can tell, using your ears & your set-up. Since you've watched M:I:6 and Matrix, play some scenes that have lots of overhead sound. Re-designate your speakers as Heights and listen to those scenes again. Is the difference noticeable? If so, did it sound worse or better or just different (can't decide better or worse)? If the latter, then don't worry about it and designate them as Heights to be compatible with Auro.
ShermanOlsen likes this.

Sanjay
post #3 of 4 Old 01-05-2019, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks, sdurani. This is very helpful and just what I was looking for!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 01-05-2019, 10:38 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 120
you can use the helicopter from the Atmos demo disc to check/compare the settings.
it changes the behavior how the helicopter moves forth/back by how long the sound of the front/rear speakers "overlap" during these moves.
ShermanOlsen likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Surround Music Formats