1Likes
  • 1 Post By thehun

post #1 of 2 Old 12-31-2018, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Down-converting True HD

Hey guys, Ive been lurking for a while and learning a ton of stuff lately. I just recently finished building out my subwoofer and will be adding in Atmos this week. However, I have a fairly unique issue revolving around Roku and lossless audio files.

I use a Roku Ultra with Plex to stream from my PC server. I have ripped a bunch of Bluray disks that contain TrueHD with Atmos. However, when streaming the Roku will not allow for lossless audio with Atmos. It will downsample to regular DD. HOwever, I downloaded a trailer from thedigitaltheater (natures fury), and it was standard DD with Atmos. This file will play correctly. This apparently has something to do with Roku not supporting Master HD and True HD formats. Is there a way to convert the files that I currently have as TrueHD w/ Atmos into regular DD w/ Atmos? Or do I need to get the disks out and re-rip them all?

I know the simple solution is to go with an Nvidia Shield, but the wife wanted to stick with the Roku in order to avoid 75 different operations to play a movie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 12-31-2018, 08:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1006 Post(s)
Liked: 974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon C View Post
Hey guys, Ive been lurking for a while and learning a ton of stuff lately. I just recently finished building out my subwoofer and will be adding in Atmos this week. However, I have a fairly unique issue revolving around Roku and lossless audio files.

I use a Roku Ultra with Plex to stream from my PC server. I have ripped a bunch of Bluray disks that contain TrueHD with Atmos. However, when streaming the Roku will not allow for lossless audio with Atmos. It will downsample to regular DD. HOwever, I downloaded a trailer from thedigitaltheater (natures fury), and it was standard DD with Atmos. This file will play correctly. This apparently has something to do with Roku not supporting Master HD and True HD formats. Is there a way to convert the files that I currently have as TrueHD w/ Atmos into regular DD w/ Atmos? Or do I need to get the disks out and re-rip them all?

I know the simple solution is to go with an Nvidia Shield, but the wife wanted to stick with the Roku in order to avoid 75 different operations to play a movie.
If there is such a software at all , you probably better off to ask at the forum that deals with Roku's, but yeah the Shield is the obvious answer, and operates Plex the same way as the Roku, no need for any learning curve there. I have both. Re Ripping won't do any good, since all physical media that supports Atmos will have the True HD container. DD+ is an entirely different format and not the "core" of the True HD one, which basically a zip folder. Plex basically trans code any files that the render er[Roku in this case] can't play natively. This happens where your Plex server resides, not in the Roku.
captainbrent likes this.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

Ex diversis cogitationibus ex cute color.

The Hun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Surround Music Formats