• 1 Post By impetigo
  • 1 Post By Bill Mac

post #1 of 8 Old 11-30-2018, 02:32 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Question DSOTM Immersion defective blu-ray issue/replacement?

I've had the SACD of DSOTM since 2007 (my favorite surround album of all time) and figured I should just get the Immersion box set, but read online that the blu-ray of the box set had a batch of defective blu-rays that led the discs to not play properly or at all and that the company had a replacement program.

Anyone know about this and if they are still replacing discs? And if so, what kind of proof they require of purchase (e.g. will buying from ebay be okay or not), and if there is any way of identifying which sets (is there some type of serial number on the boxes/discs) have the defective blu-rays? Would hate to spend upwards of $200 only to find out that the blu-ray craps out later and can't be replaced.

VIDEO: Epson 5040UB | EliteScreens AEON Edge Free 110" 16x9 CineWhite Screen | Sony 65X900A | Sony 55X900A
MEDIA: Oppo UDP 203 | Oppo BDP 103 | Apple TV | Amazon FireTV | Sony PS3
RECEIVER: Yamaha Aventage RX-A820
AUDIO: Polk RTi6 (front L/R), Polk CSi3 (center), Monitor Audio Shadow 25 (surround L/R)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-30-2018, 02:40 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Never mind... Found the answer in another forum. The defective blu-rays were from German pressings but they are still replacing defective blu-rays regardless of where you bought it, and without any proof of purchase it seems.
mcallister likes this.

VIDEO: Epson 5040UB | EliteScreens AEON Edge Free 110" 16x9 CineWhite Screen | Sony 65X900A | Sony 55X900A
AUDIO: Polk RTi6 (front L/R), Polk CSi3 (center), Monitor Audio Shadow 25 (surround L/R)
post #3 of 8 Old 11-30-2018, 07:56 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2083 Post(s)
Liked: 2916
Quote:
Originally Posted by impetigo View Post
Never mind... Found the answer in another forum. The defective blu-rays were from German pressings but they are still replacing defective blu-rays regardless of where you bought it, and without any proof of purchase it seems.
Below is a link from the Steve Hoffman forum discussing the DSOTM Immersion box Blu-ray failure. One needs to send the defective Blu-ray to an address (in the thread) in England and wait for a replacement to be sent. I have the DSOTM Immersion set and the Blu-ray is a European pressing but still plays fine. I'm on the fence about sending it. I don't have the capabilities to make a copy as I would then send the Blu-ray in for a replacement.

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/thread...ailure.622880/

Bill
IronWaffle likes this.

My SACD collection and HRAudio.net Library, getting larger as my wallet gets smaller ;-).

Emotiva XMC-1, Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE (preamp), SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Oppo UDP-205 x 2, UDP-203, BDP-103, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk HT2-TLs, Salk 1801b center, Salk 1801TL (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 11-30-2018, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post
Below is a link from the Steve Hoffman forum discussing the DSOTM Immersion box Blu-ray failure. One needs to send the defective Blu-ray to an address (in the thread) in England and wait for a replacement to be sent. I have the DSOTM Immersion set and the Blu-ray is a European pressing but still plays fine. I'm on the fence about sending it. I don't have the capabilities to make a copy as I would then send the Blu-ray in for a replacement.

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/thread...ailure.622880/

Bill
Thanks, Bill, that's the forum where I had found the answers but wasn't sure it was okay to link to it. I would say it's probably a good idea to send yours in (at least if you have one of the numbers printed on the disc inner hub/ring) as apparently some people were getting blu-ray failure after years of working fine. It's true though, that it would be nerve racking to mail it out of country to get the replacement as it would suck to lose it in transit and have to buy another set (since the blu-ray is probably what most of us want, although I am interested in the live DSOTM performance).

Definitely would use a trackable service like USPS international priority mail. Another problem is that it apparently can take weeks to get the replacement (someone posted 7 weeks and still waiting), and I'm sure they don't send tracking info.

post #5 of 8 Old 11-30-2018, 09:54 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post
...I don't have the capabilities to make a copy as I would then send the Blu-ray in for a replacement
You don't have any of your discs backed-up? Doesn't that make you nervous? You own an Oppo 103, you should do it.

I just ordered a SimpliSafe burglar alarm because I'm so paranoid about my disc collection being stolen (or burned in a fire).

Last edited by meli; 11-30-2018 at 09:59 PM.
post #6 of 8 Old 12-01-2018, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meli View Post
You don't have any of your discs backed-up? Doesn't that make you nervous? You own an Oppo 103, you should do it.

I just ordered a SimpliSafe burglar alarm because I'm so paranoid about my disc collection being stolen (or burned in a fire).
How easy is to back up/copy SACD/DVD-A/blu-rays? I guess blu-rays and DVD-A would be the easiest, since those have programs to rip and copy them, not sure about SACD though.

I also have SimpliSafe at our house for the past 5 years and think it's pretty great.

post #7 of 8 Old 12-01-2018, 10:25 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by impetigo View Post
How easy is to back up/copy SACD/DVD-A/blu-rays? I guess blu-rays and DVD-A would be the easiest, since those have programs to rip and copy them, not sure about SACD though.

I also have SimpliSafe at our house for the past 5 years and think it's pretty great.
If you have a couple hours to play around, it's not that difficult to figure out. For DVD, Blu-ray, and DVD-A, I use MakeMKV (to remove copy protection) and then DVD Audio Extractor.

If you're signature is correct, and you own an Oppo 103, then ripping SACD's is easy. More info here:
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f...-yes-its-true/

PM me if you need more info to get started.

Last edited by meli; 12-02-2018 at 09:32 AM.
post #8 of 8 Old 01-04-2019, 02:11 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Just FYI, I read on another board that the defective blu-ray disc replacement program is ending at the end of this month, so better send them in soon if you want to be sure to get a replacement. Just got a used one on ebay and luckily it's the NA pressing, so hopefully it will be okay.

Quote:
The Replacement Programme will end on Jan 31st 2019 so please make your application by that date or we can’t guarantee you a replacement disc.
Quote:
Nothing official, so please take this with a grain of salt: It appears that there are 2 pressings of the discs in the Immersion set, specifically I'll talk about the blu ray. If your disc has the following stamp numbers on the inner ring of the "play" side (easily seen with a flashlight and/or mag. glass) you likely have a North American pressing:
BVDL-196930A1 3
BVDL-196930B1 3

If the inner ring has this stamp, it's likely the European (Germany) pressing:
294349 DB44459-01 optimal media production L0
294349 DB44459-01 optimal media production L1

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Surround Music Formats