Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By sworth
  • 1 Post By liffie420

post #1 of 5 Old 11-28-2018, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Location: North Shore of central Long Island, NY (Stony Brook)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Surround speaker choice budget distribution

Confusing title, I know, but what I mean is how would you budget the speaker choices. For example, if you have a budget of $1000, would you divide it evenly over 5 full range plus one sub? Spend $500 on the sub and $100 each on the remaining 5? etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-28-2018, 04:11 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2083 Post(s)
Liked: 2916
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTVhike View Post
Confusing title, I know, but what I mean is how would you budget the speaker choices. For example, if you have a budget of $1000, would you divide it evenly over 5 full range plus one sub? Spend $500 on the sub and $100 each on the remaining 5? etc.
I would suggest posting this in the speaker forum.

http://afterconvert.com/forum/89-speakers/

Bill

My SACD collection and HRAudio.net Library, getting larger as my wallet gets smaller ;-).

Emotiva XMC-1, Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE (preamp), SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Oppo UDP-205 x 2, UDP-203, BDP-103, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk HT2-TLs, Salk 1801b center, Salk 1801TL (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #3 of 5 Old 11-29-2018, 10:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked: 343
I would recommend buying the best speakers you would ever want for the mains first. Do 2.0. If you can afford good mains and a sub, do that. Save up and add a center and rears later. If you cheap out in the beginning, you'll have to upgrade whatever you buy later and you'll be back where you started from. Speakers last a long time. Best to get the ones you want from the beginning.
HiFidactyl likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 11-29-2018, 10:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTVhike View Post
Spend the $1000 on your front stage, LCR and Sub, and then wait for something like the Sony Core bookshelf speakers to go on sale and use those as surrounds. UNLESS you listen to multichannel audio, which most people don't, the surrounds are the best place to cheap out. But it is also dependent on your primary use for the system HT or music. YOu can get away with Bookshelf speakers all around unless your in a large room and listen very loud. Towers, let you make louder sound easier without distortion, generally speaking, and let you forgo a sub depending on your intended use, for HT you ALWAYS want a sub. Going Bookshelf speakers allows you to get a better quality speaker at the sacrifice on low end and being able to play really loud. For most people bookshelf speakers are fine as long as you have a sub. Tower speakers are an aesthetic choice most times especially if you have a quality sub.
HiFidactyl likes this.
post #5 of 5 Old 11-30-2018, 01:45 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 103
I would say if $1000 is your budget, forgo the sub and go 5.0 for now. For breakdown, something kind of like 25% each for L and R, 20% for center and 15% each for the surrounds. Since you're posting in the surround forum I assume you care about the surrounds for multichannel music, so I wouldn't go too cheapo with them.

I recommend Polk Audio for affordable/cheap speakers that sound pretty good. I got my set over a decade ago and despite not using the surrounds anymore due to space limitations of the house we live in now, I still like the main L/R speakers (they're large bookshelf speakers I guess) and the center channel. I got a sub more recently (well, 7 years ago) mostly for movies as I found my L/R speakers to give good enough bass for just music (and I do like my bass thankyouverymuch).

VIDEO: Epson 5040UB | EliteScreens AEON Edge Free 110" 16x9 CineWhite Screen | Sony 65X900A | Sony 55X900A
MEDIA: Oppo UDP 203 | Oppo BDP 103 | Apple TV | Amazon FireTV | Sony PS3
RECEIVER: Yamaha Aventage RX-A820
AUDIO: Polk RTi6 (front L/R), Polk CSi3 (center), Monitor Audio Shadow 25 (surround L/R)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Surround Music Formats