Forum Jump: 
 84Likes

post #91 of 103 Old 01-08-2019, 11:28 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I watched the intro of the movie "A House with a Clock in the Walls" on my 7.1 setup in my Living Room and then watched it again in my dedicated 5.1.4 Home Theater setup, and man, there is a huge improvement in the overall immersion experience with the 4 ceiling speakers! Granted, not all movies do great with their atmos mix, but when they do, and when you have your setup dialed in, it's a whole different viewing experience!
weekendtoy and captainbrent like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 103 Old 01-08-2019, 12:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 787 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin1965S View Post
My apologies if I'm one of those who dragged your thread off topic.
I cannot let you accept the blame. His comment was directed to me from a post I made prior to his post, but I have since deleted my post. So, carry on.
Kelvin1965S likes this.
post #93 of 103 Old 01-08-2019, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 19
You are all to blame
But that's the nature of internet forums
It doesn't really matter anyway because I can't even get Atmos source material where I am without buying discs online. Netflix is available but there is only about 20 movies available and I have seen them all or they aren't worth watching
Buying a $4500AUD receiver for 3d sound turned out to be a bit of a waste really ...........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 103 Old 01-09-2019, 05:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1006 Post(s)
Liked: 974
If we strictly talking movies here then the "upmixers" both the Dolby and DTS versions do an excellent job to plain 5.1/7.1 mixes to make them "immersified" I re watched a bunch of older movies with the upmixers engaged, and the outcome was always preferable to the original mix IMO, so as far as I'm concerned the upmixers alone worth the price of entry.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

Ex diversis cogitationibus ex cute color.

The Hun
post #95 of 103 Old 01-09-2019, 05:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post
If we strictly talking movies here then the "upmixers" both the Dolby and DTS versions do an excellent job to plain 5.1/7.1 mixes to make them "immersified" I re watched a bunch of older movies with the upmixers engaged, and the outcome was always preferable to the original mix IMO, so as far as I'm concerned the upmixers alone worth the price of entry.
The upmixers do work well - especially Auro-Matic which I prefer to Dolby & DTS, but for half the price I could have just bought a reasonable Atmos receiver instead of the Atmos/Auro version. And I would have just installed Atmos ceiling speakers and everything would have been sweet. Bloody Auro has stuffed me around big time
post #96 of 103 Old 01-09-2019, 05:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1006 Post(s)
Liked: 974
Quote:
Originally Posted by niterida View Post
The upmixers do work well - especially Auro-Matic which I prefer to Dolby & DTS, but for half the price I could have just bought a reasonable Atmos receiver instead of the Atmos/Auro version. And I would have just installed Atmos ceiling speakers and everything would have been sweet. Bloody Auro has stuffed me around big time
I have Auro too, but it is not designed with Dolby elevation speakers, and have no speaker remapping like DTS does, so I don't use it much. my Marantz AV 7705 is reasonably priced and have all 3 codecs, but it is a Pre/pro not a receiver.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

Ex diversis cogitationibus ex cute color.

The Hun
post #97 of 103 Old 01-09-2019, 05:59 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
I did initially enjoy the ambience the Dolby Surround upmixer added, but realised after a while that it interferes with the clarity of the dialogue at times.
Kelvin1965S likes this.
post #98 of 103 Old 01-09-2019, 07:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked: 999
Quote:
You are all to blame
But that's the nature of internet forums
It doesn't really matter anyway because I can't even get Atmos source material where I am without buying discs online. Netflix is available but there is only about 20 movies available and I have seen them all or they aren't worth watching
Buying a $4500AUD receiver for 3d sound turned out to be a bit of a waste really ...........
I rent 4k movies (which generally include ATMOS) from 3D-Blurayrental. I'm on the 2 discs a month plan.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

post #99 of 103 Old 01-09-2019, 07:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 2878 Post(s)
Liked: 3419
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post
Not surprising. I have a 7.2 system that is almost too enveloping now. To have ceiling speakers would simply be overkill. The honest folks who have ATMOS will tell you the truth that very few movies benefit from Atmos. This is the reason I believe your money is better spent on great electronics from a legacy surround system rather than have a mediocre Atmos system.
I will agree with gbaby that there is a lot of hype around Atmos. I was an early adopter and actually considered not continuing with Atmos during my remodel. I did numerous A/B tests with the ceiling speakers on and off and the results were not as drastic as I thought they would be in my room (every room is different). The Atmos effects were subtle with the demo disc which is a very aggressive mix. In a typical movie, the effects would be even less. There was one time I did a demo for some guests to only realize the amp for the ceiling channels had been powered off. I honestly didn't realize it until after the demo when I was powering down the rack. The guests were blissfully unaware and thoroughly enjoyed the demo grinning ear to ear. In the end, I decided to stick with ceiling speakers and opened up the ceiling to re-run the wires. I am a fan and enjoy the subtleties Atmos brings to the table.

I strongly agree with him that a 7.1 with quality speakers and electronics is probably a better overall experience than an entry level Atmos system. Atmos does offer immersive audio improvements, but it is not a game changer to an already stellar 7.1 system. Diminishing returns is definitely in play here. Is it better - yes. However, it is not a night and day home theater "experience" like going from a 65" flat panel to a 120" projection screen or going from a small sub to multiple capable subs. What he fails to realize is that object oriented mastering is indirectly improving his 7.1 experience. Atmos/DTS:X have improved surround sound mixes across the board for all. Atmos is not just sounds from ceiling speakers, its an industry process. In the end, one must determine where the point of diminishing returns lies. I personally would rather have an accurate and quality 7.1 than a mix-matched Atmos system. Others prefer channel count vs quality, while other go all in with both. We all have different ears, priorities, room limitations, and budgets. What is most important is that we all enjoy home theater as a hobby and to be civil to each other as hobbyist.
gbaby and Kelvin1965S like this.

Receiver: NAD 777v3 (Dirac Live) 7.1.4
Speakers: JBL M2 (L/C/R), JBL 708p ( 4 surrounds), JBL 705i (4 ceiling)
Subs: (2) Deep Sea Sound 24" 4000w Mariana, (2) DIY dual 18" SI drivers
Amps: Crown DCI 4|600n, Crown DCI 2|600n, Crown DCI 4|300n
Video: Sony VPL-HW55ES 120" A/T 16:9
post #100 of 103 Old 01-09-2019, 07:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1000 Post(s)
Liked: 469
I used to have a 7.1 setup, I now have a 5.2.4 setup and in my case it was a major change. I did notice when I upgraded my Marantz 8802a to a Marantz 8805 and utilized the Audyessy app Atmos became much more noticeable because I was able to take out the mid range compensation (MRC). Taking out the MRC with my speakers was a night and day clarity difference which made Atmos more noticeable.
captainbrent likes this.
post #101 of 103 Old 01-10-2019, 03:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

You could have purchased a used Bryston SP-3 for that amount. You would never want to trade it in, but rather build from it because it has a killer analog section which is very important to the sound. I have numerous processors in my attic and now I'm finally satisfied with the sound.
post #102 of 103 Old 01-10-2019, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post

You could have purchased a used Bryston SP-3 for that amount. You would never want to trade it in, but rather build from it because it has a killer analog section which is very important to the sound. I have numerous processors in my attic and now I'm finally satisfied with the sound.
Yeah but it doesn't do 3d/immersive audio. Even though I said buying the AVR was a bit of a waste, I was referring to the fact that I can't get native 3d source material and that a cheaper Atmos only AVR would have sufficed.

Oh and I didn't pay that much for the AVR - that's its MSRP here in Aus - I bought mine from a bricks and mortar hi-fi shop in The Netherlands and with shipping it was just over 1/3 of the price
post #103 of 103 Old 01-11-2019, 07:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yeah but it doesn't do 3d/immersive audio. Even though I said buying the AVR was a bit of a waste, I was referring to the fact that I can't get native 3d source material and that a cheaper Atmos only AVR would have sufficed.

Oh and I didn't pay that much for the AVR - that's its MSRP here in Aus - I bought mine from a bricks and mortar hi-fi shop in The Netherlands and with shipping it was just over 1/3 of the price
Please re-read post number 99. I have been in this game a long time, and I understand what is important for good sound as does the poster of number 99.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Surround Music Formats