• 3 Post By kokishin
  • 5 Post By sworth

post #1 of 11 Old 09-30-2018, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1179 Post(s)
Liked: 1118
Moody Blues - "In Search Of The Lost Chord" in 5.1 Surround (Finally!)

The Moody Blues / In Search of the Lost Chord / five-disc deluxe box set: http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/ne...eluxe-box-set/

http://www.moodybluestoday.com/searc...rsary-reissue/
Quote:
DVD1 contains an audio ‘In Search of the Lost Chord’ 96 kHz / 24-bit 5.1 Surround Mix, the new stereo mix plus a re-master of the original stereo mix.
Amazon (U.S.) pre-order: http://www.amazon.com/Search-Lost-C...ag=sdepcwus-20

My signature:
Link: avsforum Members Atmos & Auro Configuration Spreadsheet

I'm just a caveman. Your modern world frightens and confuses me.

Last edited by kokishin; 09-30-2018 at 04:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-30-2018, 04:20 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 355
So I guess they found the masters?

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #3 of 11 Old 09-30-2018, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1179 Post(s)
Liked: 1118
Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim View Post
Quote:
Don't recall my package mentioning multichannel..and in any event, every seasoned collector knows--or should--that ISOTLC was never mixed to quad because TOO MUCH was missing from the multis, not that multis don't exist(they do). Several songs were remixed for THIS IS THE MOODY BLUES, so *some* could have been offered in 5.1 form for the recent SACD reissue, but of course were not. And since it was not issued in quad back in the day, I guess no one felt a need to even attempt a try at doing one. Pity, but an artistic call, and Justin Hayward didn't seem to care, he approved using the quad masters that exist of the other Original 7.
^^ Quote from: http://www.quadraphonicquad.com/for...58/#post-50652

My signature:
Link: avsforum Members Atmos & Auro Configuration Spreadsheet

I'm just a caveman. Your modern world frightens and confuses me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 09-30-2018, 05:35 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2083 Post(s)
Liked: 2916
importcds has a preorder for the In Search Of The Lost Chord (50th Anniversary) set for $48.56.

http://www.importcds.com/in-search-...y/602567636014

Bill

My SACD collection and HRAudio.net Library, getting larger as my wallet gets smaller ;-).

Emotiva XMC-1, Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE (preamp), SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Oppo UDP-205 x 2, UDP-203, BDP-103, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk HT2-TLs, Salk 1801b center, Salk 1801TL (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #5 of 11 Old 09-30-2018, 07:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked: 343
I'm interested in this, but I don't want all the outtakes. Just the multichannel. I'm getting weary of all the ballast that comes with these sets. It's OK for the Beatles and Hendrix, but most things I just want the album. I might break down and buy this if the price gets under $30.
post #6 of 11 Old 10-24-2018, 06:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 224
So what Moody Blues IS available in surround? And in what format/price? Because count me as another who doesn't really want to buy a box with vinyl etc, and further I don't really want to bother with SACD. I got the Days set but haven't listened yet. My uncle had a quad reel-to-reel with Seventh Sojourn so that would be kind of cool.
post #7 of 11 Old 10-25-2018, 05:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 495 Post(s)
Liked: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim View Post
I bought all of the long OOP 7 classic MB's on SACD. Lost Chord's quad mix was missing elements, destroyed or never completed, I can't recall which. But all the other original 4.0 mixes on SACD were awesome. I had every one of the LP's since the 60's which I finally retired after getting the SACD's. The quad mixes were a big bonus and worth every penny.

Having a new 5.1 mix of Chord - I'm pre-ordering today. If you like the Moody Blues, even with the fluff, it will be worth it because this was a pivotal album.

Glad I found this thread Om....

Steve

Last edited by ss9001; 10-25-2018 at 05:54 AM.
post #8 of 11 Old 10-25-2018, 04:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 489 Post(s)
Liked: 974
Quote:
Originally Posted by head_unit View Post
So what Moody Blues IS available in surround? And in what format/price? Because count me as another who doesn't really want to buy a box with vinyl etc, and further I don't really want to bother with SACD. I got the Days set but haven't listened yet. My uncle had a quad reel-to-reel with Seventh Sojourn so that would be kind of cool.
Everything up to Seventh Sojourn is available in SACD surround now that Lost Chord is coming out. Do a quick search on Discogs. The albums separately used to be very inexpensive. I don’t know what they go for now. There was also a box set which may have different mixes. Maybe someone else can fill in that detail if they know.

If you’re looking for quad R to R’s you’d probably be better off getting a cheap Blu-ray player. They’re $40 new and you can even find them in thrift shops for $10. That’s a heck of a lot cheaper than a R-R tape.

Edit: Pardon my brain fart. You were talking about SACD and I was talking Blu-ray. It’s sort of hard getting into surround if you don’t want SACD’s.

Last edited by ti-triodes; 10-26-2018 at 03:56 PM.
post #9 of 11 Old 12-13-2018, 11:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post
I bought all of the long OOP 7 classic MB's on SACD. Lost Chord's quad mix was missing elements, destroyed or never completed, I can't recall which. But all the other original 4.0 mixes on SACD were awesome. I had every one of the LP's since the 60's which I finally retired after getting the SACD's. The quad mixes were a big bonus and worth every penny.

Having a new 5.1 mix of Chord - I'm pre-ordering today. If you like the Moody Blues, even with the fluff, it will be worth it because this was a pivotal album.

Glad I found this thread Om....
Thoughts on the 5.1 mix?
post #10 of 11 Old 12-14-2018, 12:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by GZAP1 View Post
Thoughts on the 5.1 mix?
Out of quite a few 5.1 surround mixes I own, this one was definitely a difficult one to pin down. My take is; I like (not love) the surround mix on most of the songs, except for the one song that I was most looking forward to, which is "Ride My See Saw". I think they butchered their one big hit off the album (in the 5.1 surround mix). When I now listen to this album, I want to listen to that one song in either the original stereo mix, or the new stereo mix. I end up using either my 6 Channel Stereo mode or my DTS Neuro (sp) mode for RMSS, which gives me a semblance of a 5.1 mix, and then switch back to the real 5.1 mix for the remainder of the album.

For the remainder of the songs, the 5.1 mix is well done, considering the lack of channels they originally had as their source. Maybe another person behind the knobs could've done a better mix, but what they had to work with, they pulled off is very nice (except for that one big letdown).

One of my favorite albums of all time, by the way.
post #11 of 11 Old 12-16-2018, 06:42 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 134
The Stereo SACD has excellent SQ and the mix is very good. I listen with DPLIIx which really opens it up. Not sure if the new release will be worth the investment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Surround Music Formats