Forum Jump: 
 45Likes

post #31 of 34 Old 12-10-2018, 05:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked: 229
I got lucky and picked up a super delxue box set for cheaper than regular price, still new. Arrived today in fact. Listening to it now, it has the option for DTS Master 5.1 and Dolby True HD 5.1 Is there any real difference between them?
JA Fant likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 34 Old 12-16-2018, 06:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked: 1121
Quote:
Originally Posted by mars5l View Post
I got lucky and picked up a super delxue box set for cheaper than regular price, still new. Arrived today in fact. Listening to it now, it has the option for DTS Master 5.1 and Dolby True HD 5.1 Is there any real difference between them?
Post your impressions and thoughts regarding this set.
post #33 of 34 Old 12-17-2018, 04:46 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 103
I finally listened to this for real, months after getting it, and all I can say is -- PRETTY GREAT!

Okay, some qualifiers too. It is "discrete" and somewhat "aggressive" for a MC mix, but overall I like it a lot. Already one of my favorites. Some may not like it for the same reasons though!

Impressions:

- Pretty discrete mix, but placement of instruments can vary from song to song and even within a song. Rhythm guitar is mostly FL but sometimes FL+FR, and occasionally bleeding to the surround channels. Bass is mostly in the center channel and some in the FR. Lead guitar is where it varies a lot. So, Slash's guitar solos often comes mostly out of the --- center channel. Yeah, no kidding! It is a little distracting since the center for the most part is bass and vocals. But other lead guitar parts, including some solos, often comes mostly from the surrounds (e.g. intro the Sweet Child O' Mine), but the solo will blast out the center channel on many songs (I didn't listen to all of them, just my favorite 7 or so). Wish the solos came out the right channel though. Vocals are in the front 3 channels.

- I like how the surrounds are not just used for ambiance, with just a little instrumentation bleeding to the rear. The surrounds are used heavily and I like it. It creates that "feel like you're there" sonic experience that I really enjoyed. It takes a little bit getting used to though.

- Vocals are not overpowering, as you might expect in a band with a diva lead singer like Axl Rose, which is good. Sounds good coming out of the three front channels instead of just the center like on many MC albums. Minimal vocals from the surrounds, which is great.

- As a bonus, the sex sounds on Rocket Queen (always hated it as it is too loud, prevents you from playing it in the car with your family/parents, and is just an unwanted distraction that's no longer amusing) only come out of the surrounds and are much lower in the mix so that you don't really hear it much. Of course, I am always hoping they'll release a version of Rocket Queen just minus the girl's moaning.

- Didn't really look into the extras but it is cool to have the music videos (including Patience... too bad it doesn't have You Could Be Mine also).

- There is some interesting visualizations while the songs play but thankfully you can turn it off if you want.

- Overall, if you liked AfD (and it was one of my favorites from childhood, bought it on cassette shortly after it got big in 1989), you will love how you can hear things you couldn't hear before, which is what I love about MC more than the surround aspect: I love hearing instruments separated out more so you can actually hear what they are playing clearly now. For instance, you can finally hear lead and rhythm guitar separately and it sounds awesome. You can hear the baseline cleanly now, not just on the intros (e.g. Sweet Child, Rocket Queen, etc.). I would give it a solid "A."
mcallister likes this.

VIDEO: Epson 5040UB | EliteScreens AEON Edge Free 110" 16x9 CineWhite Screen | Sony 65X900A | Sony 55X900A
MEDIA: Oppo UDP 203 | Oppo BDP 103 | Apple TV | Amazon FireTV | Sony PS3
RECEIVER: Yamaha Aventage RX-A820
AUDIO: Polk RTi6 (front L/R), Polk CSi3 (center), Monitor Audio Shadow 25 (surround L/R)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 34 Old 12-24-2018, 12:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked: 229
I know its partiality my setup but there was a few guitar solos that I do remember that went to rear surround. They were very quiet and subdued, especially when they rhythm guitar was over powering from the main front speakers. Maybe if I had full towers for rears it might be better. My surrounds are very small full range due to bedroom layout
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Surround Music Formats