• 1 Post By GPBURNS

post #1 of 18 Old 04-04-2018, 11:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1006 Post(s)
Liked: 974
Hans Zimmer:Live in Prague

This is a BD Video concert that has Dolby THD/Atmos mix. I only listened/viewed so far about 1/3 of the concert and I have mixed opinion about it as far as the mix is going. I'll try to listen the whole thing tomorrow morning so I can give a more complete impression of it.
Toe likes this.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

Ex diversis cogitationibus ex cute color.

The Hun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 04-05-2018, 09:11 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I saw a lot of rave reviews, but I was kind of whelmed by it. I mean, everything was technically good I guess. But the whole thing is a bit cheesy, IMO. Some things are seen but not heard, and vice versa. The only time I noticed impressive Atmos was during the applause between songs...

It's like it's trying to be an orchestral performance, a rock band, and a theatrical show all at once, but those elements conflict and prevent each other from being natural.
SteveC356 likes this.
post #3 of 18 Old 04-05-2018, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Ok so managed the watch the entire performance. So I still don't have a full Atmos set up so my comments are regarding of the the bed True HD mix.
Well I think overall this was done well for a concert setting, the mix was appropriate and I'm guessing the disc wanted to give the idea how it sounded live as opposed to a manufactured studio sound. Dynamics were great and had to be since Zimmer is known for his long sustained crescendos that requires a slow build up to it's climaxes, but than it stays there a bit, so this concert really requires that you turn up the volume to appreciate the full range of things. The not so good is that some solo instruments are mixed too low to be appreciated, and this was sporadic so one can wonder what went wrong there. The Chinese electric cello player had it worst, she had several prominent spots that just got drowned out and her instrument sounded anemic . Also the bass was over bearing in some instances especially during the more quiet passages, when the entire ensemble was playing it was a good thing though, it had that "movie" bass sound that reached below 20hz a lot times, but Zimmer's music is known for that. All in all this is a very good concert if you like Zimmer's music, and worth the investment. YMMV.

The Hun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 04-05-2018, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergalthema View Post
I saw a lot of rave reviews, but I was kind of whelmed by it. I mean, everything was technically good I guess. But the whole thing is a bit cheesy, IMO. Some things are seen but not heard, and vice versa.
That happens a lot with productions like this, but I would say that yes some instruments weren't mixed properly which can add to the issue you describe.
Quote:
It's like it's trying to be an orchestral performance, a rock band, and a theatrical show all at once, but those elements conflict and prevent each other from being natural.
To me it worked very well, if you familiar with Zimmer's work and his persona he's always been like that, his approach to movie scores been somewhat different than his peers and he's not afraid to show it.

The Hun
post #5 of 18 Old 04-05-2018, 08:43 PM
Toe
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 2536 Post(s)
Liked: 3110
Not sure why exactly (need to watch again), but was not digging the mix or show first half, but 2nd half floored me all around. I agree bass was a bit overdone, but for me this didn't work well during the first half, but was fantastic 2nd half.
post #6 of 18 Old 04-06-2018, 04:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Immersive Atmos sound and First Class AV values!!

It will definitely give all your speakers a workout especially the sub(s)!

I enjoy repeated occasional viewing, particularly the 2nd half.

RezN888

post #7 of 18 Old 11-02-2018, 08:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked: 614
Can you guys identify a few passage where the bass hits low and hard?

Dedicated HT 7.2.4 | FRONTS: Sonus Faber Venere 2.0 CENTER: Sonus Faber Venere Centre FRONT WIDES: Sonus Faber Venere 1.5 SURROUNDS: Sonus Faber Venere 1.5 TF/TR - ATMOS-DTS:X: Sonus Faber Venere Wall (4) | RECEIVER: Marantz SR7010 AMPLIFICATION: Monolith 7x200 | SUBWOOFERS: Dual 18" Dayton RSS460 Custom Build | Behringer iNuke 6000DSP | Velodyne SMS-1 DISPLAY: JVC D-ILA RS-46 w/ 128" 16:9 1.4 TREATMENT: Custom Bass Traps and Acoustic Panels (11)
post #8 of 18 Old 01-04-2019, 04:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
Not sure why exactly (need to watch again), but was not digging the mix or show first half, but 2nd half floored me all around. I agree bass was a bit overdone, but for me this didn't work well during the first half, but was fantastic 2nd half.

Interesting Toe - have been hearing so many rave reviews on this-I borrowsed from somebody to give spin- started watching and was very underwhelmed in fidelity - started skipping around -
maybe will need to watch 2nd half again sometime but not top of my list - ladies were nice thou from what I remember
Toe likes this.

15400 Watts of Seaton Power -Quad SubMersived
post #9 of 18 Old 01-04-2019, 05:39 PM
Toe

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 2536 Post(s)
Liked: 3110
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPBURNS View Post
Interesting Toe - have been hearing so many rave reviews on this-I borrowsed from somebody to give spin- started watching and was very underwhelmed in fidelity - started skipping around -
maybe will need to watch 2nd half again sometime but not top of my list - ladies were nice thou from what I remember
Glad I wasnt the only one who thought something was off with this one at times. Certainly much better live music recordings/mixes overall out there compared to this one.

Try the second half again at some point though. I was more impressed there for whatever reason.

Ladies were nice for sure!
post #10 of 18 Old 01-06-2019, 07:51 AM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergalthema View Post
I saw a lot of rave reviews, but I was kind of whelmed by it. I mean, everything was technically good I guess. But the whole thing is a bit cheesy, IMO. Some things are seen but not heard, and vice versa. The only time I noticed impressive Atmos was during the applause between songs...

your comments say two things. you have no emotional connection to the music, and or your play back system is not up to the task of drawling you into the experience of what a masterpiece this concert is.
post #11 of 18 Old 01-06-2019, 08:17 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadliner View Post
your comments say two things. you have no emotional connection to the music, and or your play back system is not up to the task of drawling you into the experience of what a masterpiece this concert is.
Nah, music is subjective. My comments were quite direct and specific - no need to try to find subtext. My home theater sounds great - that's why I can speak critically of the mix.

Some people will enjoy this hyper-produced rock/orchestra, some won't. You're right about emotional connection - I am not moved by this - there is too much of a spectacle burying the music. It's distracting. I've been performing in orchestras and rock bands for decades, so I understand how music is created. There are many times when instruments are seen playing, but not heard. That makes it seem fake to me and takes me out of the moment. Again, I can understand how someone might enjoy the spectacle of it all, though.
post #12 of 18 Old 01-06-2019, 08:22 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsgrise View Post
Can you guys identify a few passage where the bass hits low and hard?
Electro Suite. That play scared me for the first time.

Anyways, I find it perplexing people are not liking it? The Atmos mix is pretty good, not amazing but I think it adds enough immersion to the soundstage. My whole room was breathing and at no point did the concert felt weird to listen to. Yes, there are some cheesy stuff but eh - look past that and just enjoy the ride. It's entertainment, not homework.

This is my favourite concert on Blu-Ray yet. Capable subs and speakers really help make the experience better though.

SVS Ultra Bookshelf + SVS Ultra Center
Prime Bookshelf Surround with Prime Elevation Heights
Dual Rythmik FV15HP
Yamaha RX-A3060 + Parasound Halo A31 + Emotiva A500
post #13 of 18 Old 01-06-2019, 10:15 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I thought there were a few parts of the Blu-ray that were fun system demos. Zoosters Breakout has powerful kick, bass guitar, and orchestra. I also noted 1:29 and 1:34 for very powerful bass.

Last edited by Mandroid; 01-12-2019 at 03:17 PM.
post #14 of 18 Old 01-06-2019, 05:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 171
I like this one a lot, and yes, some of the visual and talking parts are cheezy and self-aggrandizing for Hans. But overall, a well produced and recorded live show.

The atmos is very discreet, yet adds a lot to the sense of 'being there'.

My favorite segment is the Gladiator suite, that singer does a good Lisa Gerard stand-in.

Jonathan
post #15 of 18 Old 01-12-2019, 04:10 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi! Haven't posted in a while but I have a question. I tried a post in Blu-ray software but received no reply, so I'm trying here again.

I recently got the Hans Zimmer Live in Prague Blu-ray that many rave about. Sounds fabulous!

However, in my system, it does not play in Dolby Atmos despite going into the Set Up menu and choosing Dolby Atmos after the disk loads. According to my Denon AVR-X3300W the input signal is Multichannel, not Dolby Atmos.

My player is a Sony UBP-X800 which is Dolby Atmos-capable. In fact, it plays Dolby's Atmos demo tracks Amaze and Leaf, which I burned to a data disk, without problem. My receiver indicates Dolby Atmos when playing these tracks.

Other sources, such as Netflix via Apple TV 4K, play Dolby Atmos movies fine (even though I don't have a 4K TV; I have a 1080p Pioneer Kuro). Again, my receiver says the input signal is Dolby Atmos when playing Netflix Dolby Atmos movies.

Does anybody else have this problem. Do I have a defective disk or a defective player? TIA!
post #16 of 18 Old 01-15-2019, 08:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beto3645 View Post
Hi! Haven't posted in a while but I have a question. I tried a post in Blu-ray software but received no reply, so I'm trying here again.

I recently got the Hans Zimmer Live in Prague Blu-ray that many rave about. Sounds fabulous!

However, in my system, it does not play in Dolby Atmos despite going into the Set Up menu and choosing Dolby Atmos after the disk loads. According to my Denon AVR-X3300W the input signal is Multichannel, not Dolby Atmos.

My player is a Sony UBP-X800 which is Dolby Atmos-capable. In fact, it plays Dolby's Atmos demo tracks Amaze and Leaf, which I burned to a data disk, without problem. My receiver indicates Dolby Atmos when playing these tracks.

Other sources, such as Netflix via Apple TV 4K, play Dolby Atmos movies fine (even though I don't have a 4K TV; I have a 1080p Pioneer Kuro). Again, my receiver says the input signal is Dolby Atmos when playing Netflix Dolby Atmos movies.

Does anybody else have this problem. Do I have a defective disk or a defective player? TIA!
I also have the X800. I didn't know the Zimmer disk was Atmos but I'll give it a try tonight. (My AVR will decode Atmos but I'm only 5.1).

Since you've already got Atmos working, this may not apply, but make sure you've got the "audio mix" (or something like that) turned "off" in the X800's audio setup menu.
post #17 of 18 Old 01-15-2019, 05:29 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmccorm View Post
I also have the X800. I didn't know the Zimmer disk was Atmos but I'll give it a try tonight. (My AVR will decode Atmos but I'm only 5.1).

Since you've already got Atmos working, this may not apply, but make sure you've got the "audio mix" (or something like that) turned "off" in the X800's audio setup menu.
That was it! Turning off "BD Audio MIX Setting" allows the Sony X800 to play Dolby Atmos. Thank you!

But here is a pleasant surprise: I played the Zimmer Blu-ray through my old Oppo BDP-83, which is NOT supposed to be able to play Dolby Atmos. But it does, according to my Denon receiver and my ears!
post #18 of 18 Old 01-15-2019, 05:42 PM

Mentioned: 165 Post(s)
Quoted: 6456 Post(s)
Liked: 5211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beto3645 View Post
I played the Zimmer Blu-ray through my old Oppo BDP-83, which is NOT supposed to be able to play Dolby Atmos.
Atmos tracks are packed as TrueHD on disc. The BDP-83 doesn't know it's an Atmos track; it just sees the TrueHD flag and bitstreams it via the HDMI out. Most old (HDMI 1.3) players do the same.

Sanjay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Surround Music Formats