31Likes

post #1 of 54 Old 02-15-2018, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1650 Post(s)
Liked: 1992
Spandex screen review.......

Just did a spandex 121 inch 16:9 screen and could not be happier !

Cheap and super simple.........I did not actually do a stand alone frame, but a goal posts style frame to attach it to.

I used shoe molding instead of quarter round because it was cheaper and easier to nail up with a hammer than quarter round and 2x4`s as the frame/goal posts to further reduce costs.

As far as performance goes, compared to the carls progrey it replaced it was like going from 1080 to 4K......drastic improvement in picture quality and now I have the speakers where they belong behind the screen. While I thought there was no problem with the center under the old screen, now having the center up in the middle behind the screen where it belongs has made a big improvement in voices and really makes it like it should be sound wise.

Even if you are fine with the center not being behind the screen, there is still a huge jump in sound performance having it there where it belongs. I did this mainly to get the speakers behind the screen, but the jump up in picture quality was a shock......excellent screen.

I simply used thumb tacks around the sides to hang the spandex because I could not be bothered to dig up my stapler from the garage and then go buy staples........it was super easy with the thumb tacks as any stretching can be redone easily if you get a wrinkle........

I lost approx. 15.5 inches of room depth and about 17 inches diagonal of screen as I am in a small romm and the PJ is maxed out for that throw distance... screen was 138 diagonal and is now 121 , but being 15.5 inches closer gives it the same immersion, maybe even more.........I do not feel like I lost anything screen size wise as it seems the same when watching it.

Excuse my poor pictures as it was a cheap 50 buck camera and I am no picture takin guru, I just turned the flash off and held it by hand, which is not recommended for a slow shutter night picture.

I have tried......screen materials......flexi white...flexi gray.....bare wall.....black out cloth..... pro grey...pro white...silver screen and by far the spandex looks way better picture wise.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00721.JPG
Views:	718
Size:	280.0 KB
ID:	2362004   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00723.JPG
Views:	667
Size:	301.8 KB
ID:	2362006   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00727.JPG
Views:	700
Size:	394.4 KB
ID:	2362008   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00729.JPG
Views:	645
Size:	352.6 KB
ID:	2362010  

Link to Stereo Integrity SI HT 18 sub build......http://afterconvert.com/forum/155-di...-pedestal.html
Speakers and subs for sale...http://afterconvert.com/forum/209-au...kers-subs.html

Last edited by unretarded; 02-15-2018 at 08:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 Old 02-16-2018, 09:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 3327 Post(s)
Liked: 2420
As I said in the other thread where this was first mentioned this is the first time I've heard someone prefer the image quality on a spandex screen over a PVC screen. AT qualities aside, if the image on spandex can be superior to an image on PVC then this would also be of interest to those who aren't even interested in putting speakers behind the screen. I may be wrong on some of this, but my understanding is that spandex is less expensive, lighter weight and easier to work with than PVC. If this is true then even those who are not concerned with having an AT screen might still benefit from using spandex instead of PVC.

My big question is whether or not anyone else has ever compared spandex to PVC and, sound properties aside, preferred the image quality on the spandex to the image quality on PVC?
unretarded likes this.
post #3 of 54 Old 02-17-2018, 07:45 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 173 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3135 Post(s)
Liked: 1438
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
I've had many such opportunities, and my observations / findings are thus:

• White over Black Spandex provides an excellent, sharp image
  • The light attenuation factor (via absorption) combined with the 2nd Black Layer creates excellent Black Levels
  • There is never a concern about hot spotting or Sheen
Barring the eventual vetting (...and approval? ) of the recent 82" / 110" wide Spandex, the only two distinct advantages that a PVC material (Carl's FlexiWhite) has over the known attributes of Milliskin Spandex is more variety in larger size choices and the ability to receive a painted Coating..

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 54 Old 02-18-2018, 05:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

@MississippiMan , I appreciate that you have experience with both PVC and spandex screens so you've personally seen the differences. @unretarded really caught my attention when he said he preferred the performance of spandex over PVC in every way even when discounting the advantage of being able to put speakers behind a spandex screen. What I'm having trouble understanding is what I questioned in my first post above. If white over black spandex is as good or better than PVC why hasn't the word spread? Why don't more DIYers use spandex instead of PVC even when not placing speakers behind the screen?

Was I correct in saying that spandex is less expensive, lighter weight and easier to work with than PVC? If so it seems it would be a no brainer to recommend spandex to more people. Yet I haven't really seen that. One of the comments I've seen is that white over black spandex has <1.0 gain. Have you ever had a chance to view white over black spandex in a side-by-side comparison with a 1.0 gain white PVC screen to even make a rough estimate of the difference in gain? Do you know if anyone has actually measured the gain?

I just think this is a fascinating subject that should be of interest to anyone considering a DIY screen, or at least for all of those who don't intend to use paint on the screen where PVC would be the obvious choice. I don't really need a new screen but I'm almost tempted to buy some spandex just to see with my own eyes how it performs.
unretarded likes this.
post #5 of 54 Old 02-18-2018, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I just did a little sample of 3D as it has been mentioned that 3D performance might suffer on the spandex in certain conditions.

My application is a 121 inch 16:9 screen with the PJ as close as possible to make this image size and 4000 hours on the bulb.

I did about 20 minutes of Gravity and it seems fine......I will watch some other content before giving a final verdict, but it seems about the same as before at first glance.

Link to Stereo Integrity SI HT 18 sub build......http://afterconvert.com/forum/155-di...-pedestal.html
Speakers and subs for sale...http://afterconvert.com/forum/209-au...kers-subs.html
post #6 of 54 Old 02-19-2018, 05:07 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1753 Post(s)
Liked: 909
I was going to buy some, but I can't deal with the negative gain.

I may go with the Flexi White, just for the gain, but I'm scared of the sheen.

I think I'm going go with the Ultra White, even though I do not believe it is actually 1.0 gain (more like 0.9 gain if you ask me).
It will be a pain to calibrate the color shift for the JVC, but I'll try it in a minute.

I'm almost tempted to put the PVC stuff from Ebay on the wall just to see how it looks, but I can see the texture just looking at it.
So I am thinking the texture is way too much, looks that way. Unless the pattern of the texture just blends in with the grid (I kind of doubt it will).

I just RECEIVED yet yet ANOTHER screen (lol, Draper electric) that just arrived. I haven't even looked at the material it has, but I think I saw it in a sample. However, I'm not sure if the sample is the same as this thing though (who knows). But I think I am cannibalizing this screen to turn my old HP 2.4 into an electric.

I know it will look LESS when I get the entire screen setup (duh), but it may still bother me.
Also, as I noted before me and thin materials don't agree, I've had too many of them warp or become damaged.

The problem is I prefer being able to switch materials out and put stuff in the closet, and to do that usually means either a non-tensioned material, or a very thick material in general.

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --

Last edited by coderguy; 02-19-2018 at 05:16 PM.
post #7 of 54 Old 02-19-2018, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I just put the spandex up with thumb tacks........easy to take down if needed.

Not sure how that PJ is, but most are way too bright that have not been calibrated, almost all PJ`s come in way lower on the lumens once calibrated.

I have over 4000 hours on my bulb now and it is just starting to look good as it was way too bright from the start, had all settings pretty low to try and not feel like I was looking into the high beams on a car all the time.

The flexi white seemed fine as far as anything to do with a shiny surface....did not notice that aspect at all when viewing.

I did notice the flexi white was a semi fragile material prone to over stretching if handled ruff, looks like it could get messed up pretty easily. I did not like the picture on it, perhaps having the PJ calibrated might change that, but since I am never paying to have that done, I had to go with what the PJ liked best and soo far that's spandex.

post #8 of 54 Old 02-19-2018, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unretarded View Post
I just put the spandex up with thumb tacks........easy to take down if needed.
Not sure how that PJ is, but most are way too bright that have not been calibrated, almost all PJ`s come in way lower on the lumens once calibrated.

I have over 4000 hours on my bulb now and it is just starting to look good as it was way too bright from the start, had all settings pretty low to try and not feel like I was looking into the high beams on a car all the time.
The flexi white seemed fine as far as anything to do with a shiny surface....did not notice that aspect at all when viewing.

I did notice the flexi white was a semi fragile material prone to over stretching if handled ruff, looks like it could get messed up pretty easily. I did not like the picture on it, perhaps having the PJ calibrated might change that, but since I am never paying to have that done, I had to go with what the PJ liked best and soo far that's spandex.
What did you not like about the Flexi White, I guess I don't get it.

Well I know the brightness I am getting right now on the BO Cloth already is pushing it for my preferences.
I don't know what the exact gain of the Bo Cloth is, what is it?
0.85?

I understand the lumens, I wrote a projector calculator, remember (hah)...
unretarded likes this.

post #9 of 54 Old 02-19-2018, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

The picture was too bright, the reason I brought up lumens and pro calibration, unless a PJ has been pro calibrated it is likely too bright. The colors seemed a bit washed and the dark scenes were too gray.

At 4000 hours on the bulb it is dimmer now, but the picture looks much better as even the progrey was too bright.

I have no idea of the spandex gain, but whites look whiter and blacks look darker now, colors seem better, the picture looks better overall and text is crisper now.

The flexi white looks like it can be stretched out of shape pretty easy, so be careful.

If you like/need a bright screen, then the flexi white might be for you.

I think it was like 60 something bucks for the spandex delivered...$9 per yard, 3 yards each. Worst case is adding a new top layer of white if it yellows out/gets dirty or damaged.

I almost smahed a bug on it last night and at the last second realized...STOP.....or I would have had bug juice on it already......

EDIT:::::
It is a combo of room/PJ/preference that makes a screen work. That's why I ordered small screen size samples to hang up.....I think the smallest sample was 80 inch diagonal 16:9...........

The BOC sample was 131 inch diagonal 16:9, so I hung it to the wall with thumb tacks and then draped the other samples over it so the 131 inch screen was divided into 3 sections from left to right. I then played with the normal settings to see which one I liked best or my PJ liked best.

Oddly enough, the best looking sample, other than the glitter effect was the silver screen used for passive 3D.........it is a 2.0 or higher gain and is a super dark gray color. Blacks were deep black and colors popped like HDR......but it is like the screen is covered with glitter....LOL, so a no go.

Last edited by unretarded; 02-19-2018 at 06:55 PM.
post #10 of 54 Old 02-19-2018, 06:28 PM

I agree, you keep reminding me of how fragile the Flexi White is, and you are right.

The Ultra White is much more durable for sure.
I mean I ruined an 8x12" sample, what is going to happen when I get my hands on the entire enchilada, probably nothing good.

I tend to be a little rough with things sometimes, not sure why.

I calibrate my own projectors with my own meter.
No pro calibration needed.

post #11 of 54 Old 02-19-2018, 06:32 PM

Did you tack the Flexi White when you had it, does tacking it on the wall work with this stuff?

I really don't want to hang a frame, I have an electric being mounted RIGHT above the 2.35 and the frame would be in my way.
So I am a frameless wonder...

post #12 of 54 Old 02-19-2018, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post
Did you tack the Flexi White when you had it, does tacking it on the wall work with this stuff?

I really don't want to hang a frame, I have an electric being mounted RIGHT above the 2.35 and the frame would be in my way.
So I am a frameless wonder...

I edited my post above with some more info.

I tried to tack it to the wall, it was ok...a 80 inch diagonal 16:9 sized hanging down sideways, but the material was too fragile to stretch much with a tack.....maybe a staple would do better, but just a few tacks was sketchy. Maybe if I would have spaced them closer than a couple feet.....like 6 inches it might have been better.

NICE on the own meter thing !

Then you know a PJ almost always loses some lumens...a lot when calibrated........having a meter and calibrating my PJ could make a huge difference in what screens I would prefer.

I just run mine on low lamp,smart eco,cinema mode 50/50 on the brightness contrast and 2.4 gamma.......some content looks better at 2.6 gamma and some at 2.2/2.3............

I would guess that most people running a NON calibrated PJ have way too many lumens hitting the screen.

As my bulb has dimmed with 4000+ hours and now the even lower gain screen, it looks better than ever.

I also share your fear of a large piece of flexi material, I made a mental note when considering it ,to make a huge space, take my time and be super careful and be prepared to get a second piece if needed.....

In the right circumstances I bet it would make a nice screen, nothing wrong with it as far as budget screen materials go such as the carls offerings etc. I ended up with the progrey over the flexi gray just for the fragility aspect....you have to be careful not to crease the fiberglass based progrey or prowhite, but it is a stout material and comes on/in a tube.

I was able to tack up one corner then roll it out standing up, then tack the center and then the right to get it on wall by myself at 144 inch 16:9 diagonal size.....then get it all smooth, which it never did get perfectly smooth ever since there is no stretch to it at all, it always seemed to get a small wave some where no matter what tactic was used. I am a 25 year carpenter so its not like I have not had to fight materials before.....

I would say overall.....the BOC was the most durable/cheapest/easiest to work with and gave a good picture.

In my room, the spandex looks better than all of them soo far and the huge bonus is proper speaker locations !!!

I had the center channel below the screen and it was never really a complaint or problem, but having the center up behind the screen now, it is a huge difference....also my side speakers were pushed against the side walls due to screen size and it was reflection city that I wanted to solve by getting them off the side walls with the spandex, the big surprise was the center channel making a huge difference.

Even if you could not put speakers behind it, at this point I would pick spandex for a screen based on the ones I have personally tried. I was going to buy a Sliver Ticket screen, but no AT ones that are cheap, so that left spandex to try and at 60 bucks, I figured if I hated it, at least I know for myself .

post #13 of 54 Old 02-19-2018, 07:03 PM

The BO cloth is pretty good, but a tiny bit of loss in sharpness / pixel delineation and a very very tiny amount of texture (though not really visible from seating distance).

I will just test calibrate around the blue shift on the Ultra White stuff.

These samples I got aren't really big enough to tell much of anything, other than brightness - color shifts - durability.

I'm still ticked off at the ebay purchase, that guy was so full of marketing baloney, but I should have known better.
He is buying some kind of cheap low-grade textured PVC that is not really meant for projector screen material, it's too textured.

The texture was about double to quadruple the size of the Pro-White texture, just to give you an idea.
Still didn't try to project onto it (because then I can't return it if I do), but likely pointless anyhow.
unretarded likes this.

post #14 of 54 Old 02-19-2018, 07:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I guess the white over black spandex is similar to a <1.0 gain matte grey screen but of unknown gain. Until recently the typical matte grey screens from companies like Da-Lite and Draper were 0.8 gain, so if anyone was ever able to compare against one of those that would give us a ballpark figure. Not sure comparing to one of Carl's grey screens would help much as Carl's simply describes their grey materials as having "an approximate gain of 0.8 - 1.0." That's a seriously wide range considering companies like Da-Lite and Draper showed substantial differences in performance between their 0.8 gain matte grey and 1.0 gain matte white screens.

I think a real issue here would be if no one has ever measured actual gain and everyone is just guessing. For those who calculate screen brightness by math formula not having an actual gain number to plug in reduces it to trial and error.

Last edited by Dave in Green; 02-22-2018 at 10:34 AM. Reason: Misguided recommendation removed
post #15 of 54 Old 02-19-2018, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

After reading hundreds of threads, I decided to get huge samples.

I contacted Silver Ticket and a couple other low end screen companies and was willing to pay whatever for some at least 4x4 foot samples, but it took several calls and emails to even get a maybe at some point from them.

Carls was one of the best places I dealt with, a human answered and knew answers to all my questions and was willing to do whatever I wanted.......if they sold the spandex I would have purchased it there just from the service they gave, even if it cost a few bucks more.

I wish I could afford to get the equipment to calibrate, but I am pretty happy picture wise right now. I guess I calibrated the screen, instead of the PJ.

post #16 of 54 Old 02-20-2018, 02:30 AM

Quote:
After reading hundreds of threads, I decided to get huge samples.

I contacted Silver Ticket and a couple other low end screen companies and was willing to pay whatever for some at least 4x4 foot samples, but it took several calls and emails to even get a maybe at some point from them.

Carls was one of the best places I dealt with, a human answered and knew answers to all my questions and was willing to do whatever I wanted.......if they sold the spandex I would have purchased it there just from the service they gave, even if it cost a few bucks more.

I wish I could afford to get the equipment to calibrate, but I am pretty happy picture wise right now. I guess I calibrated the screen, instead of the PJ.
You can get a D65 grey scale and color swatch off Amazon and use that, it's not as accurate as a meter, but it gets you closer than by eye.
I think they are as low as $20.

Another method is if you have certain types of LCD or oLED monitors, you can lookup what the dE is for the factory defaults from calibrators online. Set it in the most accurate mode, then calibrate the projector to match your monitor. LCD monitors don't vary much generally, some brands do, but most of them don't. Whatever a reviewer measured is pretty much true.

Meters aren't that expensive, but the problem is they drift. I have no idea how accurate my meter is anymore.

When calibrating by eye, what happens is the tendency is to have too much BLUE in the gray scale, because blue is the hardest to see.
We can get Red and Green out of the gray scale by eye though, for the most part.
unretarded likes this.

Last edited by coderguy; 02-20-2018 at 02:36 AM.
post #17 of 54 Old 02-20-2018, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
@coderguy , it's not necessary to simply write off spandex because the white over black <1.0 gain doesn't work for your application. There's also white over silver and white over white that some have used successfully. Of course even the white over white would almost have to be <1.0 gain since it has holes in it to allow sound to come through. I don't recall anyone saying that one of those combinations produced a superior image to PVC as @unretarded says. Most of the discussions have been focused on comparing spandex to AT materials because the folks looking at spandex were doing so in order to have their speakers behind the screen.

I think a real issue here would be if no one has ever measured actual gain and everyone is just guessing. For those who calculate screen brightness by math formula not having an actual gain number to plug in reduces it to trial and error.
The Ultra White is the best overall, except for the color shift and lack of gain. I'd like 1.5 gain honestly, but too many side effects.
Only the HP screens are good at getting those high-gains without side effects. It's because of the tiny glass beads adhered to the material, none of these other screens have the ability to reflect as strongly back towards the viewer's eyes like an HP can (not without major side effects).

Cost isn't that much of a factor, I just don't want to spend a lot because I don't trust my purchase decisions and may keep changing.
unretarded likes this.

post #18 of 54 Old 02-20-2018, 03:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked: 585
Quote:
The picture was too bright, the reason I brought up lumens and pro calibration, unless a PJ has been pro calibrated it is likely too bright. The colors seemed a bit washed and the dark scenes were too gray.

At 4000 hours on the bulb it is dimmer now, but the picture looks much better as even the progrey was too bright.

I have no idea of the spandex gain, but whites look whiter and blacks look darker now, colors seem better, the picture looks better overall and text is crisper now.

The flexi white looks like it can be stretched out of shape pretty easy, so be careful.

If you like/need a bright screen, then the flexi white might be for you.

I think it was like 60 something bucks for the spandex delivered...$9 per yard, 3 yards each. Worst case is adding a new top layer of white if it yellows out/gets dirty or damaged.

I almost smahed a bug on it last night and at the last second realized...STOP.....or I would have had bug juice on it already......

EDIT:::::
It is a combo of room/PJ/preference that makes a screen work. That's why I ordered small screen size samples to hang up.....I think the smallest sample was 80 inch diagonal 16:9...........

The BOC sample was 131 inch diagonal 16:9, so I hung it to the wall with thumb tacks and then draped the other samples over it so the 131 inch screen was divided into 3 sections from left to right. I then played with the normal settings to see which one I liked best or my PJ liked best.

Oddly enough, the best looking sample, other than the glitter effect was the silver screen used for passive 3D.........it is a 2.0 or higher gain and is a super dark gray color. Blacks were deep black and colors popped like HDR......but it is like the screen is covered with glitter....LOL, so a no go.
I believed spandex would be a good fit for you, being in a small room with a projector that has decent brightness.

I had posted pics of spandex weave size in another thread:

unretarded likes this.

Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
post #19 of 54 Old 02-20-2018, 03:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Some of the other AT screens have visible texture, like putting up a big roll of Bounty.

Seymour Center Stage XD..

unretarded likes this.

post #20 of 54 Old 02-20-2018, 04:49 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 353
http://afterconvert.com/forum/attach...1&d=1519127285

Up close with crappy phone - 110" spandex - Epson 3700 eco mode. Katy Perry concert on Netflix. The blue hue is from the concert lights. This is an example of why I chose spandex. And will be hard pressed to find a better at material.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG0699.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	541.8 KB
ID:	2364052  
unretarded likes this.

Marantz SR6010 Onkyo 636 Onkyo NR801
Epson 3700 Sammy 55JS7000 Sammy K8500 Toshiba HD DVD Sony UBP-X800
Fusion F15's (LCR) Fusion 8's (SS) -JBL Studio Monitor 4406 - SVS SB1000 >BIC F12 Sub
TruAudio Revolve 8" - atmos
post #21 of 54 Old 02-20-2018, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

The main reason I did not go spandex at first is I was under the illusion I would be giving up picture quality to get AT, now I know this to be false.........

I watched Passengers in 3D and it looked pretty good, maybe a touch softer in 3D, than the regular screen.....but the 3D effect was as good if not better, just seemed a touch softer.

post #22 of 54 Old 02-20-2018, 09:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The main reason I did not go spandex at first is I was under the illusion I would be giving up picture quality to get AT, now I know this to be false.........
Picture quality is subject to many variables. Glad it was a positive experience for you. "Smokarz" on this forum posted actual grey scale measurements from his calibration on spandex screen.

Tuxedocivic posted measurements of the acoustical transparency of a few different samples of spandex.

The biggest trade off is the negative gain, though it can work in your favor if you have brightness to spare.
unretarded likes this.

post #23 of 54 Old 02-21-2018, 09:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Unless I'm missing something the whole concept of using spandex is based on the notion of having a relatively simple way of producing a DIY acoustically transparent projection screen at a much lower cost than using specialty AT screen fabric.

Setting aside acoustical properties and only considering image quality spandex brings up all kinds of issues and questions. First and most obvious is that it has texture, even though it's a very fine texture due to the tiny voids between the fibers that can be seen up close. The best lambertian PVC screens are perfectly smooth with no texture and no voids.

The best PVC screens have opaque black backings that allow no light to leak through to the back wall. A black layer of spandex behind a white layer also has voids allowing some light to leak through.

If the purpose of having black spandex behind white is to create a grey screen then what would the advantage be over two layers of grey spandex creating the same negative gain as white over black?

Assuming some combination of spandex could match the image quality of pefectly smooth, color neutral and lambertian PVC, the only potential advantages of spandex that I can see are that it might be lighter weight, easier to work with and less expensive than PVC.

This all adds up to the main question: Although there may be a few cases where some individuals may prefer the visual properties of some combinations of spandex under come viewing conditions over some types of PVC is there any definitive evidence that this would be the case in most situations so that spandex would be the preferred screen material over PVC in cases where acoustical transparency is not required?
post #24 of 54 Old 02-21-2018, 10:35 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Quote:
Unless I'm missing something the whole concept of using spandex is based on the notion of having a relatively simple way of producing a DIY acoustically transparent projection screen at a much lower cost than using specialty AT screen fabric.
That is a bit of a myopic a view point...especially if one can remember that Spandex found a home on AVS first as a lightwieght, easier to work with Screen Material all the way back in 2002. The "AT" consideration really only came around once the "snobs " over on Screens found that the overall Image Quality was in fact superior to ANY of the Mfg AT offerings available up to just recently (V6) Afew actually decided to test Spandex combinations and in doing so, embraced it as a viable alternative.

Quote:
Setting aside acoustical properties and only considering image quality spandex brings up all kinds of issues and questions. First and most obvious is that it has texture, even though it's a very fine texture due to the tiny voids between the fibers that can be seen up close. The best lambertian PVC screens are perfectly smooth with no texture and no voids.
Now Dave, that's just silly. How "up close" do you watch from? 12" ? For all intents and purposes Spandex Milliskin has NO discernible texture from a viewing distance of +3' for those with Lasik vision, and -2' for us "normals"

Quote:
The best PVC screens have opaque black backings that allow no light to leak through to the back wall. A black layer of spandex behind a white layer also has voids allowing some light to leak through.

If the purpose of having black spandex behind white is to create a grey screen then what would the advantage be over two layers of grey spandex creating the same negative gain as white over black?
1st off, the purpose of the Black underlay is to sharpen the image....just as it does with other Mfg AT materials. The slight "Graying" of the screen is just a side benefit that provides very modest ALR properties, as well as help deepen Blacks overall. Gray on Gray or Gray on Black would further reduce Gain and affect White / Color reproduction. White over Black enhances Black levels without affecting White and Color appearance beyond the lessening of Gain from a lambertian level.

Quote:
Assuming some combination of spandex could match the image quality of pefectly smooth, color neutral and lambertian PVC, the only potential advantages of spandex that I can see are that it might be lighter weight, easier to work with and less expensive than PVC.
Really, did it take all of the above to get around to what most any/everyone considering Spandex has already learned?
The entire DIY Screen Forum premise from the start was that Spandex isn't a true "Mfg Screen material". Only up until recently have the Moderators allowed for "Mfg Screen Materials" that do not come complete with a Frame to even be mentioned let alone recommended. Even beyond that, on the DIY Screen Forum, if in a pinch DIY cannot suffice, inexpensive Mfg Screen options are suggested. Yeah...we still see Mfg Screen advocates come over here to trash true DIY applications...but gee, you never see the opposite happen on Screens. Only now recently has Spandex found a occasional Home on a Thread over there. It doesn't get the respect it deserves though..........

Quote:
This all adds up to the main question: Although there may be a few cases where some individuals may prefer the visual properties of some combinations of spandex under come viewing conditions over some types of PVC is there any definitive evidence that this would be the case in most situations so that spandex would be the preferred screen material over PVC in cases where acoustical transparency is not required?
Yeah......it's easier to work with, lighter in weight, and costs less, while also delivering an exceptionally clear image with no artifacts, hot spotting concerns, or viewing cone issues. There are few people doing DIY screen-making who are not looking for "easier and less expensive", and if a portable, lightweight Fixed Screen is necessary, Spandex often gets the nod as of late.

Oh my....did we already cover that ?

Unless there is a decided attempt afoot over there on Screens to embrace Spandex as a bonafide "Screen Material", I'd think this would always be conversation best suited on DIY Screens. But then again...since AVScience has started a Thread on DIY Screens about the Mfg V6 material, and even gone as far as to highlight it's advantages over Spandex right in our backyard, and some have even gone so far as to suggest Spandex Screens over on Screens, it seems somebody has let the dogs loose in both backyards.

If it all can be done without the "Screen Wars" we had to deal with between 2004 & 2010 (...and resulting in the split that created DIY Screens...) then in truth, there can be more choices available to all, across the board.

But somehow that seems unrealistic, because from day one, those who opt to spend more based on no interest in DIY, or feeling DIY could never compare with Mfg, they have always haunted DIY threads and filled them with...well let's just say it's never been pleasant.
unretarded likes this.

HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
post #25 of 54 Old 02-21-2018, 11:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Just did a spandex 121 inch 16:9 screen and could not be happier !

Cheap and super simple.........I did not actually do a stand alone frame, but a goal posts style frame to attach it to.

I used shoe molding instead of quarter round because it was cheaper and easier to nail up with a hammer than quarter round and 2x4`s as the frame/goal posts to further reduce costs.
I'm very interested to hear more about your frame construction. Would you mind elaborating? I'd prefer to build something like this rather than a traditional frame.
unretarded likes this.
post #26 of 54 Old 02-21-2018, 12:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Do you know if anyone has actually measured the gain?
I am certain that Smokarz measured the gain of his DIY spandex screen. If I recall correctly, it was in the 0.7 range. I will try to find it, though it was buried in a very long thread.

post #27 of 54 Old 02-21-2018, 01:38 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael hurd View Post
I am certain that Smokarz measured the gain of his DIY spandex screen. If I recall correctly, it was in the 0.7 range. I will try to find it, though it was buried in a very long thread.
Yes...and that 0.7 gain figure has been the del facto figure ever since, although some have ventured lower estimates based on viewing comparisons.

post #28 of 54 Old 02-21-2018, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooch02000 View Post
I'm very interested to hear more about your frame construction. Would you mind elaborating? I'd prefer to build something like this rather than a traditional frame.

Here are some pics below........

A 2x4 on each side like a wall stud and then a 2x4 between them on edge.......used shoe molding around the edge instead of quarter round........

Just floor to ceiling on the sides , top has a angle bracket and a screw into the drywall.

Its possible one of the 2x4s might warp over time, if so I will deal with it, but any board can warp......the whole frame cost 20 bucks and is screwed together, so no big deal if it requires something later.

I just used thumb tacks to stretch the spandex, so one could easily remove those too if needed.

It gives a nice zero edge screen look.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00720.JPG
Views:	198
Size:	253.5 KB
ID:	2364774   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00724.JPG
Views:	188
Size:	403.5 KB
ID:	2364776   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00723.JPG
Views:	191
Size:	301.8 KB
ID:	2364778   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00721.JPG
Views:	175
Size:	280.0 KB
ID:	2364780  
gooch02000 likes this.

post #29 of 54 Old 02-21-2018, 07:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Here are some pics below........

A 2x4 on each side like a wall stud and then a 2x4 between them on edge.......used shoe molding around the edge instead of quarter round........

Just floor to ceiling on the sides , top has a angle bracket and a screw into the drywall.

Its possible one of the 2x4s might warp over time, if so I will deal with it, but any board can warp......the whole frame cost 20 bucks and is screwed together, so no big deal if it requires something later.

I just used thumb tacks to stretch the spandex, so one could easily remove those too if needed.

It gives a nice zero edge screen look.

Yes, any board can warp, though the recommended material to build a wooden screen frame is finger jointed exterior trim boards to lessen that possibility.

post #30 of 54 Old 02-22-2018, 05:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
That is a bit of a myopic a view point ...
Yeah, I was being a little nearsighted in that all I ever see these days are references to spandex for AT screens. I guess if you go back far enough you can find all kinds of historical footnotes. I was also being a little lazy in that I usually research things in advance. This time I took the lazy approach of just asking questions and throwing out hypotheticals, some of which were more accurate than others.

I spent some time today researching spandex screens both here and on other sites. I learned that in addition to DIY there are a number of vendors selling spandex screen kits for a variety of purposes beyond home theater. Who knew spandex had been used for special projection effects in the Super Bowl?

The more you study the more you learn about various pros and cons that aren't always brought up in every discussion. Based on everything I found it seems that there are cases when choosing a material for a DIY screen where some individuals may prefer the visual properties of some combinations of spandex under some viewing conditions over some types of PVC, and vice versa.
unretarded and xpostal like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Screen Section